• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 avaluke

avaluke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

I've been on Cymbalta 120mg for several years and it's not helping my depression anymore so my doctor has put me on Effexor as I'm weaning off of Cymbalta. 

Since they only come in 30 mg capsules I stopped 30 mg last week. I had no idea the withdrawls I would go through. No one told me. I'm surprised my doctor did not tell me. I tried to get off them once before with another doctor but could not but that doctor also did tell me why. I just started doing research and found you guys, thank God.

Yes, I've had vertigo, nightmares, feeling somewhat paranoid, nausea, brain zaps, hypomania, tremors in my uppper lip and some other symptoms. I going to taper down like some of you had mentioned about opening up the capsules.

I know this is a Cymbalta sight but truthfully I think we know more then the docs sometimes. I've realized I can put my full trust into the medical community and I have to do my own research.

I'm on Cymbalta 90 mg, Effexor 150mg, lamictal, klonopin 2mg. Still suffering from major depression. I also have Bipolar 2 and have an appt for ECT in two weeks. The ECT is my last resort. I've been on the medication merry go round for 24 years. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially on the electric shock therapy.

Thank you all

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

Welcome avaluke.

Unluckily this is way too common a story. I assume you are not on the 90 mg of Cymbalta anymore?  Are you going back to 30 mg and them doing the bead count. That may not be necessary. You might be able to go back up to 15 mg and stabilize. Then you can bead count down. How long you been on the Effexor? It takes about 4 weeks to kick in.

We are here to help so feel free to use us. Luckily you will be fine once the Effexor kicks in.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

Hello Avaluke,

If I read right, you dropped 30 mg from 120, which means that you are at 90mg of Cymbalta now plus 150mg Effexor and Lamictal.

150 mg Effexor all in one shot? At the same time that you dropped to 90mg Cymbalta?

I rather think that your symptoms are side effects from Effexor. Temporary.

I have not read in the 4 past year of anyone trying electric shock therapy. Worth trying after 24 years of suffering.

Fishinghat, could there be Seretonin syndrome, like too much?

Avaluke, please do come back, so we can help you better with answers to the questions.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

If he had serotonin syndrome he would have a fever of 102 or higher. Easy to tell.

#5 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for telling me that Sir, I didn't know!

#6 avaluke

avaluke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Yes God-like,

Doing all in one shot. As of yesterday cut back to 60mg of Cymbalta, now on 150 mg of Effexor and Lamictal. I think the doctor felt my depression and suicidal thoughts were worth getting me Effexor right away. We shall see how I do today cutting  back Cymbalta another 30 mg as of yesterday. I feel weird this morning. I might go back on the 30mg and taper off with counting the beads. I am a sub for special ed kids and my mind needs to be clear.

Yes I've heard of Serotonin Syndrome. I'm mainly watching out for a fever. I wish it was Spring. I live in Oregon and I hate this rain. It definatly effects my mood. 

Hope your having a great day.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

You will get there avaluke. Those kids need you.

Fishinghat

#8 avaluke

avaluke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

Thank you fishinghat. :)

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

Hello Avaluke,

The good thing is that your doctor is replacing an SNRI with another SNRI. He knows what he's doing.

Yep, the temperature is an ordeal, snow and snow. I hate winter with a vengeance!
As Effexor takes time to kick in, same as spring takes time to kick in. Patience, you'll get there! We'll get there.

Come by anytime Avaluke, you must be very special and loving, your job requires those gifts!

#10 sk8rmama24

sk8rmama24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:33 PM

Hi, I just stumbled across your post.  Did you go through with the ECT?  Did you qualify for it with the BP II?  I did ECT in 2016. I had been hospitalized for severe depression, and my depression is treatment resistant and had many medication failures.  ECT also did not work for me, and it has some cognitive side effects, and I had increased paranoia and anxiety.  But it also did not help that for one of my treatments, I was not fully under anesthesia and was awake and remember portions of it, so I ended up with PTSD,

I've been on Cymbalta 120mg for several years and it's not helping my depression anymore so my doctor has put me on Effexor as I'm weaning off of Cymbalta. 

Since they only come in 30 mg capsules I stopped 30 mg last week. I had no idea the withdrawls I would go through. No one told me. I'm surprised my doctor did not tell me. I tried to get off them once before with another doctor but could not but that doctor also did tell me why. I just started doing research and found you guys, thank God.

Yes, I've had vertigo, nightmares, feeling somewhat paranoid, nausea, brain zaps, hypomania, tremors in my uppper lip and some other symptoms. I going to taper down like some of you had mentioned about opening up the capsules.

I know this is a Cymbalta sight but truthfully I think we know more then the docs sometimes. I've realized I can put my full trust into the medical community and I have to do my own research.

I'm on Cymbalta 90 mg, Effexor 150mg, lamictal, klonopin 2mg. Still suffering from major depression. I also have Bipolar 2 and have an appt for ECT in two weeks. The ECT is my last resort. I've been on the medication merry go round for 24 years. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially on the electric shock therapy.

Thank you all

#11 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

Hello SK8,

Oh my, I'm so sorry that the ECT didn't only work but worsened your situation.

Have you found something to alleviate the depression? The PTSD? My heart goes out to you SK8, do come by anytime. It hurts to see someone hurt, sensitive me!

I would also like to hear about Avaluke. You out there Ava???

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

WOW, sk8. I have read about things like that in the medical journals but can't imagine actually going through that.

With your treatment resistant depression have you considered having a genetic test run?

#13 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

Fishinghat, in few words here, what goes on in ECT sessions? And what people benefit from this, meaning what condition? Is it a last resort? On a scale from 1 to 10, what is the success? Thank you sir!

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

ECT - Electroconvulsive therapy
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), formerly known as electroshock therapy, and often referred to as shock treatment, is a psychiatric treatment in which seizures are electrically induced in patients to provide relief from mental disorders. Wiki

https://www.mayoclin...ut/pac-20393894
Mayo Clinic overview of ECT. Not used for anxiety. Depression only.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25830809
A clinically significant improvement was observed for 10 (77%) adolescents receiving ECT for treatment-resistant depression.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23291702
Electroconvulsive therapy may improve symptoms of comorbid body dysmorphic disorder along with mood improvement in treatment-resistant depressive disorder.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23349112
reduction of depressive symptomatology was significantly more pronounced in the ECT group over the rTMS group.
Very limited research

Because of its traumatic nature it is considered only as a last resort.  The Mayo Clinic link above discusses some of the risks posed with this type of treatment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users