Photo

Weaning But Genetic Testing Says Cymbalta Is Best.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FrankNY

FrankNY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

Long time anxiety sufferer. My most recent adventure is a wean / cross taper to Zoloft. I’m down to 20mg of Cymbalta and 25mg Zoloft (which helped greatly once before but pooped out on me). I'm experiencing very high anxiety, anger and sad bouts from the withdrawal.

I’ve been on cymbalta for a year and a half after lexapro failed me and my panic attacks started up again. Cymbalta has been just ok, no panic attacks just terrible constipation and my GAD hasn’t been all that great. Of course Genetic testing says Cymbalta and Effexor are “best” for me. 

The test, along with my extreme high anxiety since the taper has me second guessing if I should have stopped the Cymbalta. 

Should I have just lived w the few side effects? Sidebar, went off Cymbalta years back (tapered slowing to nothing) and had a huge breakdown so that also has me reluctant/scared.

Any advice is appreciated. Oh fishinghat, huge fan. Keep up the amazing work.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Frank. Yes, Cymbalta withdrawal is very similar to a breakdown. Really sucks.

Your dr sounds like he is one of them that worries about serotonin syndrome as he is lowering your Cymbalta faster than raising your Zoloft. You are going to have some rough times until the Zoloft hits a therapeutic dose (at least 50 mg) AND has the 4 to 6 weeks to kick in.

Oh that question, to stay on or change. Too bad there is no clear answer until afterward when you can see how the new med worked out. Then it is too late to go back. How long ago did you come off the Zoloft?

Just curious here but did your insurance cover the genetic testing and who did you test with? 

#3 FrankNY

FrankNY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:25 AM

Thanks Frank. Yes, Cymbalta withdrawal is very similar to a breakdown. Really sucks.

Your dr sounds like he is one of them that worries about serotonin syndrome as he is lowering your Cymbalta faster than raising your Zoloft. You are going to have some rough times until the Zoloft hits a therapeutic dose (at least 50 mg) AND has the 4 to 6 weeks to kick in.

Oh that question, to stay on or change. Too bad there is no clear answer until afterward when you can see how the new med worked out. Then it is too late to go back. How long ago did you come off the Zoloft?

Just curious here but did your insurance cover the genetic testing and who did you test with

Hey! Thanks for getting back to me. I'm actually worried about serotonin syndrome. Not sure how common it is. I was on Zoloft for about 8 years; switched to something else because of the poop-out. After the last bout w Cymbalta around five years ago went back on Zoloft again. I have no idea why i switched from it after that point. I seem to be looking for a magic pill that will help w all forms of anxiety with no side effects, hence the carousel of SSRI/SNRIs. Do you think the few side-effects warrant the change? The test was from genesight. I believe either the insurance paid for it or they'll work w you for a small fee.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

It is easy to tell if serotonin syndrome is setting in as it is accompanied by a high temperature. At your current rate of change it should not be an issue.

"Do you think the few side-effects warrant the change?"

I guess it depends on the side effects and how much it effected your quality of life. That really is a personal decision you have to make.

Thanks for the info on the gene test. This is the first that case I have heard of where the insurance said anything but "NO!!".

The reason I asked about when you came off the Zoloft is that it is suggested that you wait more than 2 years to go back in the same antidepressant. any earlier than that and the risk of it not working increases.

#5 FrankNY

FrankNY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

It is easy to tell if serotonin syndrome is setting in as it is accompanied by a high temperature. At your current rate of change it should not be an issue.

"Do you think the few side-effects warrant the change?"

I guess it depends on the side effects and how much it effected your quality of life. That really is a personal decision you have to make.

Thanks for the info on the gene test. This is the first that case I have heard of where the insurance said anything but "NO!!".

The reason I asked about when you came off the Zoloft is that it is suggested that you wait more than 2 years to go back in the same antidepressant. any earlier than that and the risk of it not working increases.

It was over a year and a half ago since I had the test so I'm not 100% sure w the insurance part. The insurance might have said no. I do remember there being a $30 fee for the test and them stating if the insurance doesn't okay it then they'll work w you, which might have happen in my case. I didn't pay more then that. Have you gotten it done as well and do you feel its accurate?

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

This is a relatively new thing and the jury is still out. I know that a few have had that done with Mayo and most were satisfied. It can not only pick out which med may work the best but it can also detect faulty genes that can not be treated or not treated easily which may avoid some experimenting with the drs.

My insurance said absolutely not and the prices I checked were from 1500 to $3000 (3 years ago). To rich for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users