9 replies to this topic

#1 AliYogini

AliYogini

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

Need help. I'm sure this topic is addressed somewhere but I couldn't find it. I'm almost at 8mg now and I have not been able to sleep more than 4 hrs a night for 2 months. Last night only 2 hrs. I had a problem with insomnia from the start of my tapering from 30mg in Sept, but it has gotten much worse. Melatonin doesn't work for me plus it seems to make my fasting glucose higher. What is recommended, benadryl??

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:05 AM

Benadryl (diphenhydramine product) is good. It can not be used too often as the body gets use to it. There are several good herbal supplements that people have used like lemon balm, passion flower and others. I would recommend not to use Valerian as it interferes with the use of benzos (if you are on a benzo) plus it is not to be used more than 8 weeks as it has been shown to cause liver damage. Many have had good success with L-theanine (The suntheanine products only). I am sure others will chime in with their recommendations as well.

#3 AliYogini

AliYogini

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:33 AM

Thanks FH for the recommendations. I did not know that the longer term use of benadryl could cause liver damage. Good to know.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:05 AM

AliYogini, I was talking about Valerian and not Benadryl. Valerian causes a lot of people problems each year.

#5 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

Aliyogini,

To not be able to sleep is such a distress.

As for myself, I use Trazodone 50mg. Prescription needed. I can get off them without withdrawal. It was prescribed when I started on antidepressants, I could not sleep for four weeks, and this helped a lot.

#6 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:58 AM

Ali,

How are you doing with your taper?  I am starting my taper on May 1.  I will do it by weighing the beads.  I am taking 30mg of cymbalta.  Have you experienced any major withdrawals, and if so, which one is the most severe for you?  I went through a kindling experience September - December and it was the most horrific experience i have experienced and then months later I started withdrawal again from that experience.  Protracted withdrawal is what it's called.  Finally, I am much better and see light at the end of the tunnel. My only concern is that I went on cymbalta 3 years ago for panic disorder and depression.  I'm concerned that once I start tapering the cymbalta all of those symptoms will reappear.  That is my only concern.  I do have a toolbox full of things I can do to help alleviate some of those symptoms but, panic attacks are truly very scary.  I start my taper May 1 after I return from my vacation.

Talk to you later.

Mary 

#7 AliYogini

AliYogini

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:54 AM

FH, Regarding your comment above... your original explanation was clear. I don't know why my reply said benadryl relating to the liver damage, I did mean to say valerian. I guess poor communication between my brain and my texting finger. :)

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:18 AM

Not a problem AliYogini. My brain does not communicate well with my fingers when I type either. I always have to proof read my posts and I still make mistakes. I just blame it on my age. lol

#9 Aravira

Aravira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:31 AM

Marybetter, I am new here (just joined tonight) and I realize your post on this thread is a few months old, but I wanted to tell you: while the physical withdrawal symptoms are hell for me, I have felt better emotionally than I have in months when I was on Cymbalta. (I have chronic depression and anxiety.) The only thing for me emotionally is that my emotions seem to run close to the surface and I get angry a lot more easily. Hopefully this helps.

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:50 AM

Welcome Aravira

Glad you are doing better. Please feel to come back anytime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users