Photo

Stopped Cymbalta Cold Turkey Major Withdrawal. Someone Help!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 cfortman

cfortman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

Hello,

I quit Cymbalta cold turkey a few weeks ago after being on it for over a year. I'm experiencing things that my doctor cannot find a root cause for. Neuropathy in my hands and feet, tingling/numbness of my tongue/lips. Metal taste in my mouth often. Feeling like there is swelling inside the area behind my nose and throat even though its not. Twitching of my leg muscles and a high increase of anxiety symptoms with chest pain. My brain feels like I'm gonna have a convulsion even though I've never had a seizure before and that's just to name a few. All of these came around the same time and are really bad. They come and go throughout the day. Its driving me crazy! I know its from Cymbalta withdrawal but of course the doctor is not convinced so I suffer. I wished I never would have started this medication. The doctor prescribed me Xanax to help curve the anxiety but I don't want to get addicted to that stuff either. I just  want some relief. I feel reassured since I see that I'm not the only one going thru this. Doc did give me a EKG to just to make sure I wasn't having a heart attack. Thank God that was OK. How long does this last? Seems like no end in sight. I know I sound desperate, BECAUSE I AM. Does anyone have any advise you could share with me to help me get thru this? Ill try just about anything to help this. 

Thanks SO much,

Carre

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:25 AM

Welcome Carre

Those symptoms are a little different than the standard Cymbalta withdrawal and I am glad you discussed it with your dr. There are a few things that come to mind. First of all you might discuss hydroxyzine and/or clonidine with your dr. Both are used to treat anxiety and are not addictive and have no withdrawal. Second, it can be dangerous to go cold turkey off of Cymbalta. Seizures, suicidal thoughts, peripheral neuropathy (which you have symptoms of) and so much more. The FDA issued the warning and recommended bead counting which we recommend here.

Another thing to consider is opening a capsule of Cymbalta and counting the beads. Take around 5 mg of Cymbalta and see if it brings any relief within 24 hours. If not try 10 mg, etc. Once you get stabilized you can slowly wean from there.

As far as how long it can last. Usually 8 to 9 months to feel fairly good but it can take 1 to 2 years. Sorry about the bad news. Hopefully you will be one of those that recovers in a few weeks but that is rare.

You will have a lot of questions so feel free to come back to seek more help or just to complain. We understand how devastating this can be. You are not alone.

#3 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:17 PM

Hi Fishinghat,

I am sorry to interject into this conversation but since it is related to cymbalta I thought I would ask.  I started my taper off cymbalta on Tuesday. I had to change manufacturers/the brand because my original 30mg only had 6 beads in it.  The current one I am taking has 116 beads.  I am doing it the scale way - weighing them.  No problem there.  I am wondering am I going to feel some strange side effects from changing the brand.  Do all of the brands/manufacturers use the same ingredients to make their capsules?

I hope you are doing well.

Thank you.
Mary 

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

Hi Mary

The generic companies are required to be within 10% of the listed dose. unluckily foreign producers are not inspected by the FDA. However if the FDA finds major short comings then they can ban the product from DIRECT sales in the USA. unluckily people can still by them from internet pharmacies.

I normally recommend that with a brand change to give yourself 7 days to adjust before starting weaning. I will check out your new brand if you let me know the manufacturer's name. I can check and see if there has been any FDA action against them in the past.

#5 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

Hi Fishinghat,

I started the taper and changed brand on same day.  The brand is Solco and I have the 30mg. Actually, the amount of beads are approximately 145.  I'm using the scale (weighing them) them though.  I will hold my taper until I feel better.

http://www.solcoheal...DC-43547-380-03

Thank you so much.

Mary 

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

Thank you for the information MB. I will add it to my 'library'.

#7 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

I did a 5% decrease and Wednesday will be one week. I am feeling somewhat better as the day progresses.  The brand I had before was Lupin and it only had the 6 beads which I was informed was not the correct beads to taper with because I would not be able to do a slow taper.  

Thank you Mr. Fishinghat.  You are very kind to help us all out!  

Regards,

Mary 

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

Your very welcome Mary and God bless.

#9 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:14 AM

Actually today is one week.  I started the 5% decrease and new brand on Tuesday, May 15, 2018.  You do think I will stabilize on this brand, right?  And of I once I am done with cymbalta, I should stabilize all together, as long as I do a slow taper (5% and hold for 2-3 weeks each drop). I'm praying on daily basis.  

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

There should be a good chance of it yes. Don't worry about how long it takes. Just focus on a nice slow approach. Slow but steady wins the race.

#11 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

Thank you Fishinghat.  I will do just that.  Thank you!  

#12 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

Hi Fishinghat,

I'm still feeling crappy with this brand switch.  Am I ever going to feel better?  My thoughts are racing and I'm so down and I have no energy to do anything.  This is so not like me.  I can't take this anymore.  Did you find out any information about "Solco" the manufacturer?

Also, my sister is dying.  Her disease is progressing. I can't be there for her because I am so fragile.  I was never like this.  I am all alone and feel like dying too.

#13 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

Hello Mary,

My thoughts are to go back on Lupin and postpone the tapering for when your sister goes away.

She must need you and you her. Please think about this and afterwards you can chose better your generic. Would be better with Cymbalta though.

Generic changing is not for everyone, my doctor is adamant on that subject. Thoughts?

#14 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

It is a generic brand switch to another generic brand.  They are both generics.  I didn't just change the brand but I also started my taper.  Down 5%.  OMG!  I can't deal with this anymore.  

#15 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

God-like, 

I can't just keep going up and down and switching things.  I must ride this out and i am asking if I will adjust and level /become stable soon.  I changed on May 15th.

#16 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

I would definitely reinstate and get stable.  You need to be there for your sister.  When you are ready, first make the brand switch and stabilize.  Then try to taper.  I think FH recommends a different method that jumping right to 5%.

#17 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

Are you saying that I am not going to get stable anytime soon?  (I have done decreases of 10mg) from 40mg, to 30mg, to 20mg with no problem).  I don't think I am feeling the effects of the drop but rather of the manufacturer change.  I can't believe this.  

Are you saying reinstate to the Lupin brand that I was previously on before I switched/and decreased 5%?

#18 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

It's a thought.  Let's wait to see what FH has to say.

#19 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

Okay.  She is not dying right now at this moment.  Her lungs are progressing negatively though.  She is working but, she is not feeling well at -- she is mostly tired.  I need to take care of me first in order to be there for her.  If I should adjust in a couple of days, that would be okay.  I will wait for Fishinghat to respond.  

Thank you.

#20 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Or maybe should I stay on the switched brand 'Solco' and go up 5% to the original dose of 30mg?  

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

Your last comment was correct Mary. Stay on the Solco and go back up 5% to 30 mg. The drops below 30 are much more difficult to handle. The max I would recommend is 1% a week. It may take you several weeks to stabilize at the place you are now. Go back up to 30, a few days to stabilize and then when you feel better try 1% a week.

#22 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

Solco is one of the largest manufacturers of generic medication. It has an outstanding record and is highly rated by Medicare. It is owned by McKesson Chemical company which is one of the largest and most respected industrial chemical manufacturers in the world. No legal action pending that I can find and the only government action against them in the past I could find was a $400 paperwork fine a couple years ago.

#23 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

FH, I took 5% more just now and tomorrow I will just take the 30mg capsule. I hope I stabilize soon. Thank you.

#24 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:48 AM

FH, just curious where are you findin that McKesson chemical owns Solco Healthcare? This is all I’m coming up with for solco http://www.solcohealthcare.com

#25 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:00 AM

This is what I found on Solco.

Solco Healthcare U.S., headquartered in Cranbury, New Jersey, is an industry leader in marketing and distributing generic pharmaceuticals. Solco is committed to providing our customers with high quality, cost effective and innovative generic prescription medications. Solco offers a broad range of generic prescription products in a variety therapeutic categories, including cardiovascular, pain management and central nervous system products to name a few. Solco currently markets 38 products, with an additional 40 products pending approval by the FDA, and a robust R&D pipeline of potential new products. Our products are manufactured in state-of-the-art GMP facilities in China using the highest quality assurance standards that meet the FDA regulatory requirements. Solco is a fully owned subsidiary of Prinston Pharmaceutical, Inc. and Zhejiang Huahai Pharmaceutical , leaders in drug development and manufacturing of active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) and finished dosage products. Together we strive to offer greater access to affordable medications that you can trust.

History
Our history starts with Solco’s parent company Huahai Pharmaceutical. Huahai is a large scaled modern pharmaceutical group that integrates formulations, active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) and intermediates, to deliver high quality generic medications throughout the world. Founded in 1989, Huahai expanded to the United States in 2004 forming Huahai US to sell API to US pharmaceutical customers. In 2009, Huahai launched Prinston Pharmaceutical, a generic drug delivery company focused on developing generic prescription pharmaceutical products for the US market. Combining Prinston’s strategic drug development capabilities with Huahai’s state of the art, high quality manufacturing capabilities created the opportunity to self-distribute its products throughout the US via the customary generic channels (i.e., wholesalers, distributors, chain stores, etc.).

In 2012, Huahai/Prinston acquired Solco Healthcare US from Legacy Pharmaceuticals. Solco was a new generic pharmaceutical distributor, founded in 2010. Relying on key development partners to launch its products, Solco quickly created a name for itself by offering value driven products with impeccable service and supply. It was these key qualities and a shared vision of offering greater access to affordable medications that convinced Huahai/Prinston to acquire Solco.

Solco’s growth within the last five years has been impressive. QuintilesIMS has listed Solco as one of the Top 10 fastest growing generic companies three years in a row (2014, 2015 & 2016). This achievement is due to following a simple philosophy, consistently supply your customers with high quality, value add products at reasonable prices.

Leadership Team
Solco’s leadership team is focused on putting its customer’s needs first. While cost is a main driver in the generic industry, superior quality and a consistent and reliable supply of product is what continually drives the Solco team to perform at its best. Our leadership team and employees strive to maintain and strengthen our customer relationships to ensure continued growth.

Hai Wang
President

Hai is a seasoned pharmaceutical executive with over 25 years of proven experience in both generic and branded pharmaceutical industry. He has played leadership rule in business development, strategy, corporate management, licensing, operation/supply chain management, sales and marketing in the entire business spectrum from APIs to finished dosage forms. Hai heads up Solco’s business and operations. He is also a senior management team member of Prinston Pharmaceutical Inc. and Huahai US Inc. with responsibility of driving strategic growth for the Company in the finished products.

Prior to joining Solco, Hai was the Senior Vice President in Business Development and Marketing at Prinston Pharmaceutical, Inc. He has also co-founded Huahai US, Inc. and held senior management positions there. Hai began his career as a chemist at Vintage Pharmaceutical. He then worked at Pfizer for eight years in various roles with increasing capacities. Hai holds a Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science degree from East China University of Science and Technology, a Master of Science degree in Chemistry from East Tennessee State University, and a Master of Business Administration degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - The Lally School of Management and Technology.

David M. Ayres
Executive Director of Sales

Mr. Ayres joined Solco Healthcare U.S. in January of 2010. As Director of National Accounts, Mr. Ayres is responsible for sales and account management which encompasses every class of trade in the pharmaceutical industry. Since joining Solco, Mr. Ayres has been instrumental in helping Solco grow from $1MM Gross Sales in 2009 to $50MM+ in 2013. In October of 2013, David was honored to be named the Small Generic Company Trade Representative of the Year by Cardinal Health. Prior to joining Solco, Mr. Ayres spent 16 years with WellPoint Next Rx, one of the largest pharmacy benefit managers in the United States, in various capacities including his most recent position, Director of Pharmacy Procurement and Forecasting. Mr. Ayres was responsible for negotiations and management of corporate contracts for pharmacy purchasing, inclusive of manufacturers, vendors, and wholesalers with annual purchases exceeding 2 billion dollars. This responsibility included over 200 million dollars of annual generic Rx purchasing. Mr. Ayres also negotiated all contracts with almost every generic manufacturer in the Unites States and was personally accountable for supplying the Company with generic launch forecast information. Additionally, his responsibilities included management of all human resource in the Generic Pharmacy Procurement department inclusive of contract purchases and negotiations of non-pharmaceutical vendors in excess of 15 million dollars annually. Mr. Ayres currently holds a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Phoenix.

Chris Keith
Senior Vice President, Marketing and Business Development

Chris Keith is Solco Healthcare’s Senior Vice President of Marketing and Business Development. Chris utilizes his 25 years of sales, marketing and business development experience in helping Solco achieve its market share and profitability goals. He continues to be part of the senior management team at Prinston Pharmaceutical with the responsibility of identifying opportunities for the company.

Prior to joining Solco, Chris worked at Prinston Pharmaceutical as Vice President, Marketing and Business Development where he successfully negotiated and closed multiple generic drug development deals and several in-licensing, as well as out-licensing opportunities for Prinston. Prior to Prinston, Chris co-founded Éclat Pharmaceuticals where he served as the company’s Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing. During his time at Éclat, Chris focused on identifying and commercializing niche brand and generic products including several 505(B)(2) injectables and various liquid narcotic products.

Before Éclat, Chris spent 18 years with ETHEX Corporation. During his time at ETHEX, Chris held various roles but spent the majority of his time leading the marketing team as the Vice President, Marketing. Chris was responsible for directing the overall planning, design and implementation of all marketing, advertising and promotional activities relating to both current and future generic pharmaceutical products. Chris and his team were responsible for launching over 50 products with 87% of ETHEX’s products ranked #1 or #2 in market share position, while increasing net revenues $185.2 million within the last four years of his tenure.

Chris holds a Bachelors of Science in Marketing and Management, as well as a Masters of Business Administration from the University of Missouri St. Louis.

Introduction of Generic Pharmaceuticals
The main reason why generics are less expensive than branded medications has nothing to do with quality, but rather has to do with research and development. Discovering new drugs can cost hundreds of millions of dollars, which gets factored into the cost of the drug. The FDA allows a specified time period during which the product innovator can market without generic competition. This allows the innovator to recover their development costs before lower cost generics enter the market. Generic manufacturers do not discover new drugs. Instead, they use FDA-approved formulas. By using the same active ingredients, they produce products which are identical (equivalent) to the branded medication. These cost savings are passed on to the consumer

Generic pharmaceuticals are identical (bioequivalent) to the branded medications with regard to:

Intended use
Effectiveness
Dosage form
Strength
Safety
Route of administration
Quality
Generic pharmaceuticals must:

Be manufactured under the FDA’s good manufacturing practice regulations as required of the innovator drug, also known as the brand name drug
Contain the same active ingredients
Be bioequivalent
Be bioavailable
Have the same use and indication
It is estimated that generic drugs save U.S. consumers $8 to $10 billion per year.

*According to the U.S. congressional budget office

#26 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:04 AM

From LinkedIn

About us

Solco Healthcare U.S. is a Top-10 fastest growing generic pharmaceutical companies in the US. Solco is committed to providing our customers with the highest quality pharmaceuticals. Solco offers a broad range of generic prescription products in Cardiovascular, CNS, Diabetology, Anti-Infective, Anti-Fungal, Diuretic, Muscle relaxer and Appetite Suppressant, including differentiated, specialty drug products. Solco has 28 marketed products, 5 are being launched, and 39 products pending approval from the FDA, and is sporting a robust R&D pipeline. Our products are manufactured in state-of-the-art GMP facilities in Charlotte, NC and in China using the highest quality assurance techniques that meet the FDA regulatory standards. Solco is an award-winning supplier in the generic industry for its supply excellence. Solco is a fully owned subsidiary of Prinston Pharmaceutical Inc. Together we strive to offer greater access to affordable medications that you can trust.
Website
http://www.solcohealthcare.com/

Headquarters
Cranbury, NJ

Year Founded

Company Type
Privately Held

Size
201-500 employees

Specialties
Generic Pharmaceutical, Sales, Marketing

#27 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Well what can I say. I went back and searched and searched and could not find it so I did a search of the McKesson holdings and Solco was not listed there. Sorry, I appear to have been wrong.

#28 hatecymbalta1

hatecymbalta1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:40 AM

It’s okay. We are not perfect people and we can be wrong sometimes. I know I am. No worries.

So, do you know anything about the Solco manufacturer. I’m still adjusting / withdrawing. Anything I can take that would smooth this out a bit. Anything u can suggest to help me get through and not be so speedy?

I’m almost on 2 weeks this Tuesday.

#29 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:56 AM

Some of the most popular supplements for the withdrawal symptoms you mentioned are L-Theanine (the suntheanine formula), 5-HTP and Tryptophan. Probably the most successful is Benadryl (50 mg diphenhydramine) which helps with the anxiety and agitation but can make you a little drowsy. The 5-HTP and Tryptophan can cause serotonin syndrome if taken with an AD but not the Benadryl or L-Theanine.

Also, the thread "and the answer to your question is..." in Medical Support section goes over all the things members have tried including diet, supplements, therapies, etc. You might want to read through it as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users