• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Scootiesangel

Scootiesangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

Hello everyone. I guess I am looking for a little bit of feedback and maybe a few extra prayers. 

My husband has been on Cymbalta 60 mg for 3 years now. For the past few months he has become extremely fatigued. He has lots a ton of weight (that he doesn't need to) Never wants to do anything. And a few days here and there have been extremely bad in the depression (i want to sleep all day) department. I must add we have been together for 17 years, I have seen his battle with depression but to me the Cymbalta has made it far worse than i have ever seen. 

So we start a new chapter, time to get off the Cymbalta. I researched the crap out of this and honestly what I found was a million people with different approaches. Understandably, we decided to go with the Prozac taper. He went to 30 mg and started with 10 mg of Prozac. The first few days seemed fine, today is day 3 and he is having one of those extreme depression days. I want to know that he is going to be ok. Its hard watching him since he doesn't want to talk about it and he isn't as positive as I am about knowing in a month or so he can have all this behind him.

I need to back peddle a little here and add that he has chronic back pain. He actually manages his pain with the Butrans patch which has worked wonderfully and keeps him from having to pop more pills. Today he is in tons of pain, which obviously doesn't help the depression. I am one of those people who sympathizes and when he feels something, i break for him. I try to sit by and let him sleep the day away not knowing what else to do. I can't say I understand the depression, I try to for him but at the end of the day he knows I don't know and I'm not in his shoes.

I just want to see him better. I want to see him enjoy life. I feel like Cymbalta has ruined the last few years for him and I'm scared of what is to come if all these withdrawl effects don't hurry and go away. 

It would be different if it were me. I make sure he takes all the correct vitamins and has what he needs. But i still feel helpless. 

I thought maybe getting some pot would help take his mind off of the depression and stop allowing him to be "all in his head" but I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Any advice, support, or a simple prayer would be wonderful.

We have a 13 year old son who he tries to not let him see it but he is at that age where I have to explain it to him so he knows Dad isn't just ignoring him or mad. I know people have it way worse. But I'm broken for him. 

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

Welcome SA

A taper from Cymbalta to Prozac is very common. One must remember there will be a price to pay for a while. A dr will normally reduce the Cymbalta in stages over a 4 or 5 week taper and increase the Prozac in stages for a 4 or 5 week period. The problem is the withdrawal symptoms from the Cymbalta usually start in a week to 10 day if you start at 60 mg but the Prozac takes around 4 weeks or so to begin to make a dent in the withdrawal. No to be honest some do notice some withdrawal relief within a few days of starting the Prozac. Let us hope your husband is one of the lucky one.

Please come back and let us know how he is doing.

God Bless

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:57 AM

Hello and welcome ScootA,

Ok, one thing to know is that many do well from 60 to 30, meaning no withdrawal.

I'm glad that your spouse has already started the Prozac. Even if he is depressed, he was before, it doesn't mean that Prozac is not good for him. There will be no immediate results.

Let's see if things get tolerable with the 30cymbalta and 10prozac. Before going down the Cymbalta. That will mean bead counting, we'll see about this when the time is right.

Meanwhile, should anxiety rise, we have a few suggestions.

Get ready to be patient and give time a chance. Keep updating, any questions, we are always around.

#4 Scootiesangel

Scootiesangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

One week update: well technically 9 days in. He has managed the change from 60 mg of cymbalta to 30 mg while adding in the prozac very well. After a really bad day Saturday (the original post day) he seemed to have a few days with energy and positive outlooks. We increased the prozac to 20mg on Wednesday and as of Wedneaday morning he has not had any cymbalta, he has started to feel tired again and a little nauseous. He is one who likes to move along quickly so we will see how long he can stand the withdrawl or if he will bounce bac and feel better like he did a few days after the cymbalta reduction. He has asked me if we can increase the Prozac to 30 or 40 for the next fewweeks. I think that will be ok since the doctor originally wanted him on 40 and said he could go up to 80. Fingers crossed and praying hard. Will update soon!!

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

So far so good. He is so lucky for your support. Good job.

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:47 AM

Hello Scoot,

Thank you so much for updating. Yes, so far so good.

Looking forward for another post, we don't hear that often about going cold turkey from 30mg and upping the Prozac at a fast rate. But I do believe that this can be the good way for your love. He may be one of the 35% or so that has almost no withdrawal side effects.

Again, a big thank you for your update.

#7 Scootiesangel

Scootiesangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

Update: my husband is actually doing really well for the time. He has been completely off Cymbalta now for 9 days. He is currently taking 30 mg of Prozac. His mood has been much better and while he still has moments of fatigue he is more positive about it. I'm praying he continues to do well and that we never have to look at another cymbalta capsule ever again.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:22 PM

That is great news!! That is a low dose for Prozac so if things turn out well then maybe in a few months he can wean off that. In any case I am glad he is doing better. Please keep us posted.

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:18 AM

Hello Scoot,

So happy for you, things are looking up! I thank you for the update. Feel free to come back anytime. Another update would be appreciated, thank you!

#10 Scootiesangel

Scootiesangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:13 PM

Update: this weekend was rough...not even going to sugar coat it I really thought things were going well but the irritation and anger he has had this weekend was overwhelming. He hasn't had cymbalta now for 17 days so there's no going back. I also should add he started testosterone injections a few weeks ago and it's almost time for his next injection so maybe this is a side effect from needing the testosterone?? Ugh it's one step forward 2 steps back around here. But I'm praying and trying so hard to remain positive.

#11 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:11 AM

Hello Scoot,

Irritation and anger are commun with Cymbalta withdrawal. Real commun.
I can't remember how long it lasts though.

Geez, I don't know much. Our Einstein will be in later and be able to answer about everything. Einstein, while you sleep, transfer me your knowledge please.

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hi Scottiesangel

Of course you realize that the testosterone is at its lowest level just before the next injection. But typically low testosterone causes depression and not anxiety. By the way, Cymbalta left me where I have to have testosterone replacement therapy. My dr informed me that because of my psychological issues I would need to do testosterone gel daily so that my serum testosterone levels remained relatively stable.

#13 Scootiesangel

Scootiesangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

Update: just 2 days shy of being a full month with NO Cymbalta. Amazing. That's how things are looking. He has the most positive and upbeat attitude I have seen in a very long time. He feels great for the most part, of course he has his moments but doesnt everyone? He says he feels like a dog has cleared and he feels more emotion than he has had in the last few years of being on Cymbalta.

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

Yeaaa!!  Absolutely fantastic.

You should be very proud of yourself and your love for your husband.

God Bless

#15 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:07 PM

Hi Scoot,

Ah, such good news since the last post, hourra! You both must be so happy.

Expect a bit of wax and want here and there. When I first came to the forum, the phrase that I heard so many times is " Progress is not linear ". Bravo Scoot, good job.

Thank you so much for updating, we appreciate this so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users