Photo

Did Cymbalta give me permanent side effects?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 nicr

nicr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am struggling with severe cymbalta withdrawal effects and need support.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

I read somewhere on here that Cymbalta can permanently alter your brain chemistry, which of course scared me. I did a lot of searching and didn't find anything to support this claim. Does anyone know the truth???? -- With documentation-- not speculation.

And FYI- I did go to the FDA website to check out cymbalta. There were many adverse effects reported because people opened their capsules when trying to wean off. I would suggest NOT doing this.

Thanks- N

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

Hi Nicr,

Proplems with people opening capsules occurs when little balls get crushed, or when people take them without putting them back in a similar time release capsule. That's why those who originally recommended it here have reiterated that it is important to do it properly and carefully.

There's nothing special about the Cymbalta outer capsule. The correct number of balls inside an equivalent capsule is going to work just the same as a (eg) 10mg capsule provided by Eli Lilly.

With the opening and dividing the devil's in the detail I'm afraid.

I would never, ever, ever, consider swallowing the little balls on their own, which I suspect is what some did.

I'm having extraordinary success doing this - currently down to dividing a 60mg into six other capsules and even though I'm slowly reducing the dose, the withdrawal effects (apart from itchiness grrr) are nothing compared with trying to do alternate days.

For anyone deeply concerned about this, I would suggest going to a chemist and having them do it for you, although if I were a chemist I think I'd want to know that the doctor had OKd it.

I agree speculation is not useful (although speculation is often what starts the process of research); unfortunately with the competition for research funds, the main research comes from: guess who?

I don't know about other countries, but Australia has a poor record on research; we frequently lose our best and brightest to overseas institutions.

kind regards,
Maureen.

#3 missy

missy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    i am withdrawing from Cymbalta

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

Maureen-
Thanks for mentioning the itchiness! I have had that ,too, in withdrawal. I didn't realize it could be connected with
withdrawal--I thought it was some other problem! It is gone now...although my skin in general feels better as I started using Aveeno body lotion for Extremely Dry skin. Glad I found out about that anyway!
Missy

#4 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hi Missy,

Good! I'm glad someone has benefited from my comment - I've certainly benefited from the comments of others.

Strangely enough, the itchiness while ON cymbalta was one of my problems (I think it IS listed as a side effect), then when I started reducing the dose, the itchiness went away, then came back with a vengeance when I got down to about 12mg.

I've been using those weird looking gloves in the shower (which I always do anyway) but don't know if they're helping. Also strangely, I now find that moisturising my skin actually makes it worse! I had very dry skin due to menopause (I'm 57) and found any old moisturizer helpful then, so perhaps I need to look out for one for sensitive skin at the moment.

I do have an ongoing minor problem with eczema, though. I've read quite a few on here mentioning the itchiness.

Yours in scratchiness,

Maureen.

#5 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:
    I tried to commit suicide obviously unsuccessfully, shortly beofre starting a New doctor taperd from this drug, (just jumped off) and Ive strong feelings about it.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

I was up and now im down. Im so worried about my brain hurting. Been seeing a psychologist, and I metioned that Id had a cat scan done that showed brain atrophy. Voiced that my brain still hurts and Im really not feeling well. Weak as all get out. Told him that my last appt with my mneuro went something like this: Me to dr k, the neuro: Am I going to get early onset dementia, alzheimers, or am I already init. Do they know such things, do you? Dr k to me: Your worried enough as it is, schedule an appt with a shrink, his name is dr m or something ,down your way, and hes a personal friend of mine. No, I dont think youre crazy and thanks for understanding that Im so busy. WTH! Ive been awfulizing(as fibro people tend to do) ever since! Today I call the neuro: me to nurse on voicemail. Need to know why im being referred, that doc isnt i n network and staff isnt being that helkpful in getting me in or finding out why im being refferred. Nurse calls me back later and says. Doc K. just wants you to talk with someone, but we understand now(pscyhologist requested dementia records per ME) that doc W is seeing you and thatll suffice. Just wants you to talk to someone about how the meds might be affecting you in a bad way(NOT ON ANY)Me to her: I was under the impression that there may be early dementia that Im experiencing, nurse to moi:OMGoodness, no. me to nurse: well thats what Ive been sitting here awfulizing, this is NOT good, please give my best to Dr K.
Folks theres a difference between a shrink and a psychologist right, and I know the diff.I dont see my pschologist for another ten days(hes outta town one week outta the month, I find out after seing him for some time, cancelations and stuff musta fallen right around the time when id sched, ya know what i mean.)outta town for a week a month aint good right now, for me. This is a small town and there arent many psychologists or pill wrtin shrinks. I want to fir em all. Im really upset I cant seem to get momentum of care. Hate dealin with switchin new doctors. Im bumming and down. Needed to vent. Im a fibromyalgia pioneer and was called a liar for more years than it was treated. Ive white coat phobia, and JUST DONT WANTA DO THIS, I HATE DOCTORS. Any suggestions, thanks for letting me vent. Mystic(not so much)Please dont mind if I dont spell check, im bummin!

#6 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:
    I tried to commit suicide obviously unsuccessfully, shortly beofre starting a New doctor taperd from this drug, (just jumped off) and Ive strong feelings about it.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

I just want to know what neuro saw with the brain atrophy scan, dx, prognosis. Is it perm brain damage from cymbalta. Did I suffer a mini stroke the night i thought i was havin a stroke, and he never called me back, the neuro. I was gonna go to the er but was afraid theyd put me back on the cymbalta. After that was when my brain really started hurting. We are not supposed to be aware of our brains! He blew me off and didnt call to see the matter. did I have a stroke?
was it seratonin toxicity, at any time.Ive SEEN him since all of this, and he said "your worried enough, schedule with a shrink" First thought from me was he doesnt wanta tell me its imminent death.YES I WAS MORE WORRIED and my psychologist is outta town till monday. Nurse said the have Dr. W call dr K at next visit oif mine. WTHHHHHHHHECK. Yes Im awfulizing. We onlky get one brain/one life, that hopefully doesnt endd after a long twilight, not knowing people ya should know and death by neumonia or something, more happenstance. I need structure and a spontaneous death for Heavans sake! Im wiggin! Mystic

#7 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

Its not supposed to be Tabby, I just cant seem to get them to talk to me, on my time or theirs. They dont want me to awfulize, but at the same time dont tell me definitively anything. Thanks for your post. I appreciate it very much:) Mystic

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

Proplems with people opening capsules occurs when little balls get crushed, or when people take them without putting them back in a similar time release capsule. That's why those who originally recommended it here have reiterated that it is important to do it properly and carefully.

Okay, I was going to pick up gelatin capsules at the healthfood store, is that not a good idea? Do I need capsules that are the same density as the Cymbalta capsules? Because all we get here are the 60's and 30's. I've never heard of empty capsules.

Hi madtabby, I got clear gelatine capsules from a large chemist. I've had a great deal of success operating this way, so if a random sample of one is any use ... :))

The original posts I read didn't comment on density etc, and as there's no comment on the carton etc, can only assume they're adequate for the purpose.

Isn't it because the drug is supposed to reach a certain point in your body before it starts being absorbed ???

Anybody ???

cheers, Maureen.

#9 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:25 PM

Its not supposed to be Tabby, I just cant seem to get them to talk to me, on my time or theirs. They dont want me to awfulize, but at the same time dont tell me definitively anything. Thanks for your post. I appreciate it very much:) Mystic

Don't know what to say, Mystic, except feel free to vent here anytime.

I can't comprehend how difficult it must be to not be believed in this area. I've been lucky and only seen a GP, who's believed everything I've said. I HAVE however had two serious health issues in my life where I've been told it was psychosomatic.

(As I said - serious - the first one landed me in hospital for over a month at 13 I was so thin after six months of one doctor not believing there was a problem. We moved, Mum took me to a new doctor who's first words were 'who let this child get in this APPALLING condition'. Even 40 years later I remember the relief at someone believing there was actually something wrong. The second left me unable to exercise properly for 20 years - now it's been solved I'm fitter at 56 than I was at 40.)

So I DO identify with your frustration, which would be even harder in this area.

stay in touch,

Maureen.

#10 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:40 AM

Mystic

I cannot believe that the Dr who ordered the MRI hasn't sat down and explained things to you. Surely that is unethical?
FOr what it's worth - and I am no expert - I believe brain atrophy refers to the loss of brain cells, ie, neurons. That is not to say that it is irreversible. It's my understanding that this loss of cells occurs when in a state of Major Depression http://www.psycheduc... ... mIntro.htm (along with reduced dendritic branching - think of tree branches with smaller branches emanating from them and therefore less connections with other cells) and that modern anti-depressants actually reverse the process. (Got this from a journal article that was posted at another forum).

I'm not 100% sure (I don't think anyone is) but I think this cell loss (brain atrophy) can also be brought on by the use of anti-depressants. It is a prime reason, I believe, for the withdrawal problems many of us have.

Now for the good news! The human brain is incredibly plastic and can regenerate - but - it takes time. I don't know if there are any stats but anecdotal evidence suggests that the time spent on a drug makes little difference. It seems to be the way a person's neurochemistry is and how it responds to drug treatment.

Hope this helps :)
Junior

#11 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:52 AM

Wow! Youre all so very kind, it blows my mind:) Ill have to munch on this food for thought, and some other great posts, and perhaps post later. Im not very positive on the subject of late, and dont want to be spouting a bunch of unneeded negativity, so I wont. Thanks for the posts, and the bright side. I truly appreciate them! Mystic

Happy B-Day Junior, and many happy returns!

#12 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

Maureen.[/quote]
The second left me unable to exercise properly for 20 years - now it's been solved I'm fitter at 56 than I was at 40.)

So I DO identify with your frustration, which would be even harder in this area.

stay in touch,

Maureen.[/quote]

If I start exercising at fifty, can I still tone my flab. Ive been on the couch since the beginning of the year pretty much, tho Im coming around slowly. I need to do it for my brain/bod/energy level/preparation for a wheel chair eventually. Is it possible to firm bat wings at all. I heard not, and thats seriously gloomy. Dint havem before the couch episode, and most inside mirrors removed due to intermittent renovations. After i got a full length view the first time I had a notion, I almost screamed out loud. Ive got stuff in all the wrong places, and OH LAWD Ive been too vain. Im not willing to gib tHAT completely up just yet. Talk to me Maureen, and tell me the truth, puhlleeeaassee. Mystic ( Lets sue the ba88tards!!!!)brains and beauty, they have messed with the wroing vices!!

#13 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

Er, the truth, Mystic?

I think I value my life too much. If I tell you the truth you might have to kill me.

Any exercise at any age has got to be better than none. I suspect we get to an age though we're you can only back track so far and from what I've seen of people older, that's about 65. If you get to that age and you haven't exercised much or eaten properly for 30 years, well, it ain't looking good. That's just my personal opinion from looking around me. 'They' (who? who?) say that between sixty and seventy is the most dangerous age to be. If you get past that point, you probably don't have a genetic predisposition to many of life's fatal diseases: heart, diabetes, cancer etc. Not saying it's plain sailing after that (ho ho) but you get my drift.

Ah the tatas as my friend calls them (they wave goodbye when you do). I haven't had much luck on that front being fit or not. You'd think that building up muscle would bulk out the fat, but doesn't seem to. I think the only solution is to wave like the queen (top half of arm plastered firmly against body, hand waving limply) or have your arm way up above your head to wave, looking equally stoopid. Or just not wave; say you've developed an allergy to it.

I've now got fat on the inside of my knees, which I never had before (it's there even when my weight's down - as in BMI of 20).

The first time I noticed how bad my neck had become was when I went to the dentist, and at that half reclined position they have you in handed me a mirror. GASP!! I then read a funny story on the English newspaper The Guardian, where the 40 something sex advice writer said she was crawling around on hands and knees picking up toddler toys and happened upon one of those kiddie mirrors. She instantly resolved to never have sex 'on top' again with her husband unless he was wearing a blindfold. Kinky. I notice now if I hang my head to one side my face likes to go for the ride, too.

Then a few months ago I had my eyelashes tinted, and the woman handed me the mirror while I was still lying on my back - it had all gone - I looked 10 years younger!! That's it, I thought! Just spend the rest of my life lying back in bed. No wonder women in the past took to their beds. They knew which light they looked best in!

Sorry to hear that you're going to end up in a wheelchair. I guess that means you have to make the most of any energy you have to build up your strength before that ??? I read a great book recently, by a 35yo bloke who broke his back falling out of a tree when his wife was 5 months pregnant. He doesn't sidestep the awful bits (plenty of tears and feeling devastated) but he writes with such an irreverent sense of humour that his book is a joy to read. It's called 'Looking up' and the author's name is Tim Rushby-Smith.

I must say I find the bike riding one of the most beneficial for me. Being a serious pear shape (when I'm happy with my rear I'm usually looking in the tweenies section for a bra. :) ) I find it leaves my hips a different (better, obviously) shape.

I wouldn't blame the couch for the bat wings. I've found some of these things happen overnight. They obviously can't, I think we just suddenly notice them one (bad) day.

take care, Maureen.

#14 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:36 AM

Thanks Maureen. Hope I dont end up in a wheechair and dont have that dx yet. Thank goodness. Im feeling my age tho and if it is to happen evetually I want to be stronger. If Ive ever had a motto in life its"Prove em wrong" in a good way, and so I wil......I lost a bunch of weight a while back and thats probably contributed to the bat wings. My ta tas dont look so hot(unless Im laying down) either now that you mentiuon it. On another post I mentiuoned the "not belieeing" thing with doctors. I wanted to quantify that that issue was peimarily with the fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue, and primarily with the VA, while I got the fibromyalgaia in the service (when there was no such thing) and was railroaded out with a disability wiout pay for it then and now. In general the fms has given me white coat phobia, and I am very sensitive to Doctors on one hand afraid to take them to task on another. Im strange. Im trying to do a liitle more as I can, each day. Hate house work, but its gone to crap since Ive been ill, and Im the only one that cares. Its exercise and it makes me feel better to see it clean. Pschol said to do something for myself. Voiloi, my dream....HOUSEWORK!! LOL Cracked me up about laying in bed always, that the one thing I havent done. I had a similar experience at the dentist, but it was whitening. they should make those mirrors just big enough to shoe the teeth)in natural light!) Thanks for posting Mystic

#15 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

Mystic, it's quite a task to become self-assured with ALL doctors when you've had bad experiences.

My first experience of being misdiagnosed was mainly due to my mother believing so much in the power of doctors that she never took me to another one until we moved states, despite the fact that there was obviously something wrong with me. She's now 93 and lives in a town of 60,000 people; her specialist is therefore only a five minute taxi ride. He's always running at least an hour, sometimes two hours behind. She'll say 'oh the poor man works so hard, he always looks so tired, he must have had an emergency'. My response is, anyone who's late on a consistent basis just has poor time management skills and they get away with it because of people like her just putting up with it. If his surgery hours keep going till seven every night then that's the way he should schedule his appointments OR get his receptionist to ring people and tell them to wait at home another hour or so. I have one specialist who's never more than five or so minutes late. When he apologized for being 15 mins late one day, I just looked at him and said ... um it's only 12 minutes. His response was 'there's no reason why I should assume my time is more valuable than yours'. When I commented that my current GP was always an hour late (which was tricky with a small baby) he said 'some people were late for kindergarten'.

I know that rant is JUST about timeliness, but I now check when I make the appointment what that person's usually like with time. Of course, things happen, particularly to doctors, but not every time, and not every day. If it does, THEY'RE the ones who are at fault.

I'm sure some of them don't appreciate me being able to question what they're suggesting, but I usually find once I've been seeing someone for a while we get along extremely well, because although I might want a lot of input into what's going to happen, once I agree to take something, or do something, I do it or get back to them if I'm unhappy with how it's all happening.

Ah yes, housework. The joy of it all. My motto is no one went to their grave saying 'I wish I'd kept the house cleaner'.

You do know the dust doesn't get any thicker after four years don't you?

And by the way, haven't seen your joke contribution yet, hmmmmmm?

Maureen.

#16 snicklefritz

snicklefritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been taking Cymbalta for about 4 months, and my blood pressure became quite high. It settled down slightly but now I am trying to stop taking Cymbalta and am down to 20mg. My doctor does not have much experience with this medication and now that I am at 20mg I do not know how to go down further as I understand 20mg is the lowest dose. I am suffering all kinds of wierd effects which I believe from reading here is from the CYmbalta. I really need help in where to go from here.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:15 AM

As I read the post about itchiness I am covering my feet in calamine lotion! Today I bought Probiotics, Fibro response and fish oil.
V

#17 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:
    Hubby is having bad anxiety problems due to cymbalta withdrawl

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

I am scared......When hubby came off cymbalta we opend the capsules as told and seperated the balls. and he injested just the straight balls off a spoon.

What happens when you do this???

#18 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

just saw the question "isn't the pill supposed to be in a certain part of your body before it's absorbed"
Everything that goes in you mouth, and down your throat goes into your stomach:)

Debbie

#19 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:50 PM

Er, yes, but many drugs are designed to not be absorbed until they reach a certain part of your body. In fact many drugs would be dangerous if you crunched them up in your mouth, one of the blood pressure drugs is like that, oxycontin has a warning to take the tablet whole.

Other drugs (which I've also had with extreme BP) are designed to be absorbed in the mouth.

That's my understanding of the main problem with taking the balls on their own - the risk that they'll be floating around in the water used to wash them down, dissolving much faster than they otherwise would with the gel capsule dissolving slowly, or being damaged with teeth.

Some drugs are damaged by the contents of the mouth/stomach/intestines and it depends on the drug which area of the body affects them.

Sarah, was it the doctor or the chemist who said to just take the beads on their own?

Maureen.

#20 SarahT

SarahT

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • why_joining:
    Hubby is having bad anxiety problems due to cymbalta withdrawl

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

It was his doctor.

#21 Ammycin

Ammycin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    Health care provider

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:27 AM

Cymbalta prescribed to each patient will vary. Note that side effects of Cymbalta cannot be anticipated. Cymbalta can cause side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, mild nausea, sleep problems, and muscle pain. The side effects of Generic for Cymbalta are most likely to be minor and temporary. Consult with your doctor and follow his directions completely.

#22 LindaVandy

LindaVandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
  • why_joining:
    I had to quit and I needed help, I got it

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

I have been reading the posts about whether cymbalta’s side effects are permanent, and they reminded me of a conundrum I which has been rattling around in my head for several weeks. Before I took cymbalta I used other drugs to control my “conditions”.  In the good old days, a xanax got  me through walmart, an imitrex got rid of a migraine, opiates could be used for intractable pain, trazadone brought sleep. Now, none of these medications work as well, if at all, and I believe it is because cymbalta modified my brain chemistry.

Here comes the questions......

Is this change permanent and did/does this change trigger physical reactions (i.e. severe myalgia) which may be permanent? Are the effects of Cymbalta transitory, or have we had the equivalent of a neuro-chemical lobotomy? And, last but not least, how are we supposed to learn to “handle” the conditions we had before this disaster  without pharmaceuticals? I don’t want replacement I want peace.

Finally, the earlier post about the brain possessing superior “self righting” abilities is quite correct, at least in my experience. I had a cerebral hemorrhage (actually two, but the second one was little) and I learned how to walk, talk, write (kinda) and live again, and I hold that experience up when I think this one is too hard.

Think I’ll take a walk in the clouds now, or do more laundry.

#23 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Linda you pose such interesting questions and have equally interesting comments.

Through my wanderings on the internet highway I have found that there can be some permanent effects from SSRI drugs which is what this crap is. One of those is sexual dysfunction.

There can also be some long term side effects that have lasted as long as 2 years, beyond that I have not been able to find alot of information but am still searching.

We hear from those who are struggling with long term side effects here on the site but I wish there was a forum that all the people who successfully got off this drug would come back to and let us know that everything is fine and they have no more side effects.

When I get to the point that I have no more side effects there will be a forum as I will make one and keep coming back as long as I have a computer.

Take care of you

Nancy

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

LindyVandy, there is hope. Cymbalta blocks certain neuroreceptors. After withdrawal it takes a while for those neuroreceptors to get use to recieving neurotransmitters (esp seratonin, adrenaline). Most of what I have read says around 8 to 12 weeks BUT there is a possibility that some of the receptors may never recover. Especially the receptors that affect sexual activity and egg  and sperm production. (Just as lady2882Nancy said).   I would not panic until you have been off cymbalta at least 12 weeks.

I know you are having a tough time right now but hang in there it does get better. Try to keep your mind busy and off your withdrawal! Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

#25 LindaVandy

LindaVandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
  • why_joining:
    I had to quit and I needed help, I got it

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the input, I wish I had a sex life to miss, but that may explain why I have no interest in finding someone. Seriously folks, 8 to 12 weeks is manageable, even short, considering it took me three years to drug myself into this state and far, far too long to realize it was the Cymbalta that was messing me up so bad. Ya'll are here for me, and someday I'll be able to return the favor, so panic? No way! I could be normal by the summer solstice. Well, normal might be the wrong word, but you catch my drift! 

#26 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

Hi Missy,

Good! I'm glad someone has benefited from my comment - I've certainly benefited from the comments of others.

Strangely enough, the itchiness while ON cymbalta was one of my problems (I think it IS listed as a side effect), then when I started reducing the dose, the itchiness went away, then came back with a vengeance when I got down to about 12mg.

I've been using those weird looking gloves in the shower (which I always do anyway) but don't know if they're helping. Also strangely, I now find that moisturising my skin actually makes it worse! I had very dry skin due to menopause (I'm 57) and found any old moisturizer helpful then, so perhaps I need to look out for one for sensitive skin at the moment.

I do have an ongoing minor problem with eczema, though. I've read quite a few on here mentioning the itchiness.

Yours in scratchiness,

Maureen.

hey fellow scratchy lady:) yes have exactly the same issues as you. the antihistamines helped a bit but it's a bit worse right now, due to the suddenly warm weather in London (more sweating=more itching/burning.) for the last 6 weeks, I've laid off the moisurisers as much as I could. when we had a very cold snap, it was a toss up between moisturising to get rid of the flakes which caught on clothes and made me itch/not moisturising and 'drying' out to get some relief.  I tend to go a few days and then bite the bullet and do my legs. other days I just wack a bit on my elbows/knees as they cracked. 

I am due allergy blood test results sometime this week, which will show at least whether this is an actual allergy. normal blood count was normal 

#27 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Warm weather and the itchies? Oh that must be awful chimera. Now you really have me feeling sorry for you. It was bad enough when I would get the sweats and the itchies but then all I had to do was go outside and cool off. Try to get an antihistamine that is meant for skin reactions or maybe your docotr will give you an Rx for one. That's what I had to use and since I have contact allergies my doctor was good about it.

#28 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Warm weather and the itchies? Oh that must be awful chimera. Now you really have me feeling sorry for you. It was bad enough when I would get the sweats and the itchies but then all I had to do was go outside and cool off. Try to get an antihistamine that is meant for skin reactions or maybe your docotr will give you an Rx for one. That's what I had to use and since I have contact allergies my doctor was good about it.

it's kind of humid, not amazingly hot or anything- but I think because we had such very cold temps this winter my skin is in shock lol. I have been using Allegra for the last month, it's been pretty good at keeping it vaguely in check. before I had that, no other antihistamines were touching it: I was averaging 2 hours sleep a night! when I get the blood test results later this week, I will speak to my doctor about what else I can take on top. I have a feeling this will carry on for some time until my system is clear, so I might need something else in conjunction. what antihistamine do you use? I was very 'high' when I first started on it lol. I also had to have 5 days of prednisolone, a steroid, as my eyelids and lips swelled up, very scary! 

#29 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have been on prednisone quite a few times over the years, mostly for allergic reactions to medications that made me look like I had extreme sunburn from the rash lol. I always feel so good by the end of a 10 day run on that. Hardly any aches and pains, no rash, no itchies hmmm I wonder if I could get my doctor to give me a rx of that? Probably not lol.

The antihistamine that I take by Rx is called hydroxyzine which is the generic name so your doctor should know what it is.

Hydroxyzine is used to treat anxiety disorders and allergic conditions, especially those that involve the skin such as hives or contact dermatitis. It reduces activity in the central nervous system. It also acts as an antihistamine that reduces the natural chemical histamine in the body.

When I take it I do not need any other antihistamine.

It can make you sleepy so be careful when you first take it. If you take it before bed it will help you sleep.

It shows up on a uk site with the brand names Atarax and Ucerax but it doesn't show the doseage. I take 1 or 2 pills as needed and they are 25mg

Hope that helps

Take care of you

#30 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

I have been on prednisone quite a few times over the years, mostly for allergic reactions to medications that made me look like I had extreme sunburn from the rash lol. I always feel so good by the end of a 10 day run on that. Hardly any aches and pains, no rash, no itchies hmmm I wonder if I could get my doctor to give me a rx of that? Probably not lol.

The antihistamine that I take by Rx is called hydroxyzine which is the generic name so your doctor should know what it is.

Hydroxyzine is used to treat anxiety disorders and allergic conditions, especially those that involve the skin such as hives or contact dermatitis. It reduces activity in the central nervous system. It also acts as an antihistamine that reduces the natural chemical histamine in the body.

When I take it I do not need any other antihistamine.

It can make you sleepy so be careful when you first take it. If you take it before bed it will help you sleep.

It shows up on a uk site with the brand names Atarax and Ucerax but it doesn't show the doseage. I take 1 or 2 pills as needed and they are 25mg

Hope that helps

Take care of you

thank you, that sounds a good one to mention to the dr when I speak to him, it sounds a good one to have in the anti- itch arsenal! x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users