#1 Flower

Flower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:16 PM

Good evening all

I took Fishinghat's advice and dropped straight from 60mg to 30mg after having to go back up to 60mg (only for 3 weeks) due to trying 30mg every other day and ending up in a real mess.

I just wanted to say its day 9 and I haven't had any withdrawal.

My next step was to start on September 1st Prozac and bead counting slowly as not in a rush..  although now I want some advice regarding the Prozac option and do most people take it at this point or can I drop maybe even just 1 bead a week without the Prozac?? 

many thanks to anyone that reply's

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,296 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

Many drop one or two beads a day until things get to bad. Then they slow to 1 bead every few days. If things get too bad then they switch to Prozac.

#3 gail

gail

God-like

• Site Supporter
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, never felt good.
    Needed understanding and support, and a place where I was not alone. To read others stories and realizing that I was not the only one going through all that crap.
    In hope that one day, I can return the favors in some kind of way.

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:53 AM

Hello Flower,

Since you are not in a hurry, and as long as you are stable, why not go with the one bead a day. Like 1-2-3 etc.

One bead a week is mighty slow. This can done at the end, when you're at, let's say 5mg or so.

Along your merry way, you will see if you need the Prozac. If that happens, let us know, we will guide you. I can't remember the reason you were on Cymbalta, all can depend on that also.

Thank you for updating, let us know how it goes. Pardon me if I'm late in answering, haven't been feeling to hot lately. Bonne route, come back anytime!

#4 Flower

Flower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:50 PM

Thank you Gail and Fishinghat

yes Gail I will try your way but not going to start for a few more weeks.  I was put on for depression when I was admitted to a clinic for severe depression..  I came off after 1 year but I now know this was done too quickly and ended back on Cymbalta and that was 4 years ago, although I have no major problems on 30mg I would like to have a clear head more than anything. I was advised by my gp here in England to try every 36 hours and this was fine but then 4 months later we tried every 48 hours, I was fine for the first 10 days just upset stomach but on 11 days I was suicidal, stomach problems not eating and ended up staying with my parents so my children didn't have to see me..  then went back up to 60mg for 3 weeks and now stable back at 30mg..   so want to stay here for 1 month until I start the bead counting.

thank you for listening  

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • 8,296 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

Great plan Flower. The on again off again approach is very risky and seldom leads to success. Get your strength back and slowly drop.

#6 Flower

Flower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:02 PM

small update

i didnt start my bead counting untill last week, also decided to try not taking prozac..

im only 6 days in and 6 beads down, slow but not in any rush ...  

#7 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

God-like

• Active Members
  • 5,744 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 4 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the update flower. Slow and Easy Does It...

#8 invalidusername

invalidusername

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • why_joining:
    to get back to being the real me

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:07 AM

Hi Flower. Well done for getting to this point. I have gone 60 down to 30 recently, and had quite a bad response. I am as far as 20 now, but will be taking it very slowly from this point. Whilst the flu-type symptoms are there, it is the added depression that is hardest - so you are absolutely not alone.

Just a word about the approach of lengthening time between doses. You need to explain the issue of half-life to your GP. Cymbalta/Duloxetine has a VERY short half-life. Around 12 hours, but can be 6-7 hours for some. This means that 50% of the drug has left your system at this point. So just imagine what it will be after 24 hours. You can do this with Prozac and some other SSRI's but not Cymbalta. GP's NEED to know this. I have already explained to mine....

Wising you every blessing on your journey Flower.

#9 Flower

Flower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:32 PM

invalidusername

I see your also in the uk

maybe good to keep in touch..  im on day day 12 down by 12 beads, very slow but been on Cymbalta for 5 years and had awful side effects in the past because of bad advice. Am i right in saying your now switching to Cymbalta? can I ask why you have gone onto this? 

#10 invalidusername

invalidusername

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

Hi Flower,

Good to hear from you - and I am absolutely not switching to Cymbalta!! Trying to get off the stuff and cross-tapering with Citalopram as I know that I do not have adverse effects when on that. Much like yourself, the switch to nightmare med was due to ill-informed medical advice. I try not to bang on about the NHS over here, but why on earth can't more resources be put into mental health?! If it wasn't for Mind and Samaritans, I think the UK would be in a lot more trouble.

I think it would be a great strength to us both to keep in touch.

Well done for keeping it slow - I wish I shared your patience :)

#11 Flower

Flower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:52 AM

Hi Invalidusername,

I have had both my GP and private Psychiatrist try to help but I have found this forum to give the best advice. Sadly a lot of info given to me was incorrect from GP and Psyc so doing it slowly without any other meds.  A very long way to go and when the time comes I will have to introduce the Prozac, something I really didn't want to do.

How Long have you been on Cymbalta?  Did you read todays article in the Daily Mail? 

#12 invalidusername

invalidusername

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:42 PM

I am not surprised you went private for your psy. The mental health team down where I am are nothing short of useless. I have been waiting for an appointment since June. They are meant to get people seen within 6 weeks. I gave them 2 months and have been calling every week since. Today, they told me that they couldn't even find my name on the list!

Been on Dulox (Cym) for 16 weeks now. Taper started almost 3 weeks ago under guidance of the forum as I am also getting no help or the wrong help elsewhere...

Not see the Daily Mail but going to google it right now!!

Sent you a PM so we can discuss further so we don't go off on a tangent in the forum :)

#13 invalidusername

invalidusername

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

So many stories on the Mail website - you will have to narrow it down. But so shocking how the press eat up mental health... I counted 6 headlines before I stopped looking.

#14 Flower

Flower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:07 PM

UPDATE

Anyone following my update from 30mg (original 90mg) I have been on 30mg for about 4 years and had several attempts to reduce with awful withdrawals, my worst being suicidal, loss of appetite, anxiety, upset stomach.

Today I'm down 23 beads.1 bead a day

A few days I have had to stay on the same amount due to bad Nausea and brain fog

I have come to terms that this is something I have to do alone although I have a wonderful family, they just cant relate to the withdrawals.

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

God-like

• Active Members
  • 8,296 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:03 AM

Glad to hear from you Flower. Sorry that you have to go that slow. What nasty stuff to deal with.

#16 invalidusername

invalidusername

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:09 AM

Well done! That's 25% already from your 30mg. You should be very proud of yourself.

Unfortunately, it can be very difficult for those who have not "been there, done that" and can be very lonely. But remember there are plenty of us out here. We can all help each other as best we can...

#17 gail

gail

God-like

• Site Supporter
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, never felt good.
    Needed understanding and support, and a place where I was not alone. To read others stories and realizing that I was not the only one going through all that crap.
    In hope that one day, I can return the favors in some kind of way.

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:37 PM

Hello Flower,

Thank you for taking the time to update. One bead a day and if you can tolerate to go any slower, do it. We have someone here with one bead a week. Can't remember who it is. No matter, go as your body tells you to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users