• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pkass1

pkass1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:07 PM

Hi, I am new to this so bear with me. I have been on 60mg Cymbalta for about six years. I have been tapering off of it for a while now. I am down to 20mg. I took the 20 mg for a month and I am now down to every other day with it. I did fine till I got to the every other day and it’s been hard. I am crying and having panic attacks, so my Dr has prescribed Zoloft 50mg. I am confused and I am not sure on the best way to so this. How long do I take the Zoloft before stopping the Cymbalta? Then how do I taper off the Zoloft?
Anybody out there that has used this method and succeeded, I sure could use some advice.
Thanks

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:25 AM

Welcome pkass

Your dr has put you in a bad spot. The FDA has warned against the every other day thing. Cymbalta has a half life of 12 hours so by the time a new dose is due your blood levels of Cymbalta are nearly zero. That is almost like going cold turkey. When you do take your next capsule the blood levels shoot back up again and you wind up repeating the same withdrawal all over again. I would strongly suggest that you go back on 20 mg and stabilize and then consider weaning by the bead count method. Each capsule contains so many beads (usually around 300 but it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer). Each day open a capsule and take out about 1% or less of the beads and that is your dose for the day. So for a brand with 300 beads inside I would recommend taking out 3 beads more each day (or less). Anytime the symptoms get bad just stay at your current dose until you feel better. The last 4 or 5 mgs are tough so be prepared to slow down when you get to that level.

If you do switch to Zoloft (which will take a month or so) stay with it until nice and stable. When you feel ready you weight out your normal dose on a good set of scales. Dose reductions can be made using a razor blade to remove a slightly greater amount from your dose. Most people drop there dose every week as Zoloft has a longer half life and it takes a few days for any withdrawal symptoms to appear.

#3 pkass1

pkass1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

Thank you so much. I have been on Zolft for a week and it has helped a lot. I feel I am going to stay on it while I count beads as you suggest on the Cymbalta. It’s the best method I have heard so far. I will worry about tapering off the Zoloft at a later date. I know I
need it right now to help me through this.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:27 PM

Great, I am so glad it kicked in so fast. It took Zoloft around 3 months to deal with my withdrawal. You just never know. Slow but steady.

#5 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:26 AM

Hello PKass,

That is wonderful news, thank you for updating. Have you started the bead count for Cymbalta?

You are absolutely right about the Zoloft, worry about it later. It's an easy one to withdraw from.

Fishinghat explained pretty well about the fact that the every other day method is a killer.

Just hope to see you again!

#6 pkass1

pkass1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

God Like,
I started the bead count last night. I’m praying all goes well with it.
I want to thank people like you and fishinghat that are willing to take the time to help others.
Bless you both!

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:55 AM

Glad to help pkass. I know what it is like and remember that many helped me through mine.

#8 pkass1

pkass1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

Fishinghat,
I have a question. Each day I am to Increase the amount of bead removal by three or less till I am down to none?
Just wanted to make sure I am doing it correctly. Thanks a bunch.

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:30 AM

You are correct pkass.  Good luck and keep us posted.

#10 pkass1

pkass1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:30 AM

Thank you!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users