#1351 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:44 PM

Fasting is usually not a good idea with anxiety. The reduction in circulating blood sugar usually increases the conversion of glycogen in the liver to glucose which is OK BUT it also usually increases the amount of adrenaline production as well. Eating all your meals the 8 hours before bedtime usually causes an increase in weight also.

Why the fasting if I may ask?

#1352 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:15 PM

I am trying to lose weight i ve recently put on about 5 to 8 pounds and am struggling with keeping my weight at a good range. 

#1353 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:34 PM

I normally do not recommend trying to diet during withdrawal. Most antidepressants are fat soluble so  when you loose weight it puts more Cymbalta back into the blood stream as the fat disappears. Once the weight is lost you then have a mini withdrawal as that Cymbalta fades from the system. In addition, it is hard to fight two enemies at the same time. Dealing with the withdrawal is bad enough without dealing with the dieting as well as dieting raising adrenaline levels.

#1354 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:39 PM

I just looked it up and adrenaline can raise as much as 12% during fasting and cortisol by as much as 50%.

#1355 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

AJ - I am completely with Hat here - unless medically advised to do so, fasting of any sort is a BAD idea at this time. There are so many variable that need to maintain balance such as vitamins and sugars which control adrenaline, cortisol as well as brain chemicals and even keeping the blood brain barrier in its optimum condition to function, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is what was causing it - well, that and all this damn virus stuff. I have really has some depression problems over the last few days - some REALLY horrible, stay in bed type symptoms...

Take care brother

#1356 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:11 AM

Lately I have been wanting to drink more... having a hard time coping with the do this dont do that orders in my state:(

#1357 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:16 AM

You are not the only one AJ. I am finding myself being drawn more to my Kratom with every passing day, but I know that I cannot starting taking more that I should as it will lead to a habit that will be very difficult to break. It is the need underpinning us all to want to let go of reality because reality is simply quite horrible at the moment.

But remember that all alcohol is a depressant. It will feel fine when in your system, but then the effects drop receptors below their normal level having adjusted for the intake of the alcohol, so you will inevitably pay for it; this is when addiction becomes the problem. 

Stay strong and keep your eyes fixed firmly towards Heaven,,, 

#1358 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:04 AM

Yeah so I drank myself stupid last night and had instant regret I am struggling to let things go that are out of my control. I ve also been focusing on philisopical questions again as well as science these are thing I really never in my life care about or for so why now why do I focus so much on them now?

#1359 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 April 2020 - 11:38 AM

List of known actions of ethanol
Ethanol has been reported to possess the following actions in functional assays at varying concentrations:[54]
GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulator (primarily of δ subunit-containing receptors)[66]
NMDA receptor negative allosteric modulator[58][66]
Increased levels of dopamine and endogenous opioids in the mesolimbic pathway, secondary to other actions[63][66]
AMPA receptor negative allosteric modulator[58]
Kainate receptor negative allosteric modulator[58]
Glycine receptor positive allosteric modulator[55]
Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor positive allosteric modulator[56][73]
5-HT3 receptor positive allosteric modulator
Glycine reuptake inhibitor[74]
Adenosine reuptake inhibitor[75]
L-type calcium channel blocker
GIRK channel opener
Wiki

#1360 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 April 2020 - 02:25 PM

Well thats something to focus on!!! LOL

I see you are back on the philosophical questions. That is your weak link and this is what your brain will go for. LDN and myself are always talking about just that. Something that we appear to have control over but do not always.

Don't feel bad for what you did. It was something to get out of your system. No use in looking back. Just learn and move on - it is the only thing to do in such a situation...

#1361 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:12 PM

Well thats something to focus on!!! LOL

I see you are back on the philosophical questions. That is your weak link and this is what your brain will go for. LDN and myself are always talking about just that. Something that we appear to have control over but do not always.

Don't feel bad for what you did. It was something to get out of your system. No use in looking back. Just learn and move on - it is the only thing to do in such a situation...

So how do I stop it I really am not to big on philosophy nor do I understand much of what I read about whats the point ?

#1362 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

Simply put... our brains are wired to want ANSWERS.

Whether or not our thought processes can give them those answers or not, we still keep thinking.

This is the root of all anxiety.

That is quite profound for midnight on a Friday :)

#1363 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:31 AM

This effect is a direct response to withdrawal of Cymbalta in the hippocampus and amygdala (2 sections of the brain). You can not control it. You must learn that is is a result of a chemical reaction on the OCD center of the brain and will continue until things get better. Try to convince yourslf that it is Ok to feel this way and it IS temporary. We all go through it.

#1364 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 05:41 PM

This effect is a direct response to withdrawal of Cymbalta in the hippocampus and amygdala (2 sections of the brain). You can not control it. You must learn that is is a result of a chemical reaction on the OCD center of the brain and will continue until things get better. Try to convince yourslf that it is Ok to feel this way and it IS temporary. We all go through it.

God bless you sir for helping me understand this thank you 

#1365 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:17 PM

Workout today and yesterday I had a realization after an anxiety attack. I get to choose what I believe and dont believe it is my choice to think how i want to think to many time in the last few years i have been giving my power away to online articles and people so i stopped and asked myself what do I believe what do i know of the world around me? it was cathartic to say the least. 

#1366 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 20 April 2020 - 05:54 PM

I get to choose what I believe and dont believe it is my choice to think how i want to think

Absolutely - realisation indeed. Well done brother.

#1367 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:24 AM

Decided the night before last to take a 2 week break from all news and facebook. I am hoping to hop off the anxiety train i have been on in this time. Any advice. Today is only day 2 one thing i have noticed is my anxiety does go up a little just thinking of going on to a news site or facebook will this go away as i try and break this habit ? 

#1368 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:49 AM

A wise decision. One of the key things in healing is to be able to recognize what  is stressful to you and then to adjust. By minimizing your stress you can heal faster and better. Good more AJ.

#1369 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:56 PM

Ditto. I did the same thing soon after this lockdown, and just like you, it took a couple of days to get out of the mindset. But it worked. I limited myself 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening and that was it. Before that I was spending about 3 hours looking at the virus stuff. Now I just look a the stats in the morning for about 5 minutes and that is it.

That is a good move. Good man.

#1370 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:32 PM

AJ just my two cents from my personal experience: social media (and now the news as well since we have a 24 hour news cycle) are designed to keep you "engaged" as long as they can and in doing so they make you stressed out, anxious, full of dread, maybe all of the above. It's been proved at this point that social media negatively impacts well being and happiness and right now when the news really have nothing new to report they're running a lot of speculative articles that are all scary and bad, but they have to fill the time. I highly advise sticking to your plan of not reading the news and not going on social media, or at most dedicating a small window of time each day and nothing more. You might still be having anxiety about it in an almost Pavlovian response sort of way. I bet it'll fade with a little time as you find yourself feeling more free and relaxed. 

As for alcohol, I used to drink quite a bit more than I do now but going through this process if I overdo I usually see a bump in adrenaline fueled anxiety the following day. On a good day I can do a few beers or a couple glasses of wine. It does help take some of the anxiety and stress away, but I've found that overdoing it doesn't make any of that even better, but it does make the next day worse and ruin my sleep as well. 

Hope that helps!

#1371 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:44 AM

AJ just my two cents from my personal experience: social media (and now the news as well since we have a 24 hour news cycle) are designed to keep you "engaged" as long as they can and in doing so they make you stressed out, anxious, full of dread, maybe all of the above. It's been proved at this point that social media negatively impacts well being and happiness and right now when the news really have nothing new to report they're running a lot of speculative articles that are all scary and bad, but they have to fill the time. I highly advise sticking to your plan of not reading the news and not going on social media, or at most dedicating a small window of time each day and nothing more. You might still be having anxiety about it in an almost Pavlovian response sort of way. I bet it'll fade with a little time as you find yourself feeling more free and relaxed. 

As for alcohol, I used to drink quite a bit more than I do now but going through this process if I overdo I usually see a bump in adrenaline fueled anxiety the following day. On a good day I can do a few beers or a couple glasses of wine. It does help take some of the anxiety and stress away, but I've found that overdoing it doesn't make any of that even better, but it does make the next day worse and ruin my sleep as well. 

Hope that helps!

Thank you this does help quite a bit 

#1372 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:17 AM

Been still riding the Anxiety train still not getting much better. I go from anxious to depressed weekly. Not sure how much longer I can take of this. Part of me thinks of just going back on medication, but I also am enjoying the freedom from having to take it. I started exercising everyday it helps ever so slightly tho. 

#1373 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 11:59 AM

My nephew committed suicide last week just found out yesterday. 

#1374 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:41 PM

Good grief man... that is tough. So sorry to hear that. Going by your own age, your nephew couldn't have been that old either. Such a shame - my prayers and thoughts with you and family.

This of course won't help the emotional rollercoaster at the moment either. Something like this is obviously capable of tipping the scales. I think you need to find someone to talk to first and foremost. If medication is a way forward from this, then so be it. You don't need to think bad of it.

#1375 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:44 AM

Been a rough couple of days here , trying to get better what are some things I can do naturally to boost seratonin i exercise everyday what else is there ?

#1376 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:26 PM

White poultry meat contains tryptophan that your body can use to convert to serotonin. Tryptophan is also available as a supplement but in that form your body will convert all the tryptophan to serotonin and that is not a good thing and it can come with a withdrawal as well. When eaten in the form of white poultry meat your body will convert only what your body needs and no more. Scientists have been trying to figure out how the body does that but at this point it is unknown.

#1377 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:33 PM

I know it is a lot of reading but...

https://www.research...n_without_drugs

Hat - did I send you this one??

#1378 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:19 AM

No I had not seen this one. It was a good read and a good overview of the non-medicinal effects on serotonin.

Thanks

#1379 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:59 AM

Thank you both gonna read that now as well 

#1380 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:49 PM

No worries AJ - take it easy and keep in touch...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)