#1861 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:13 AM

I had an idea in the middle of the night AJ. Many "sensitive stomachs' from stress come with the diagnosis of IBS with diarrhea. IBS stands for irritable bowel syndrome. One of the most effective over the counter treatments, and often recommended by drs, is insoluble fiber. The best of these is wheat bran which can be bought easily and added to baked goods, cereal, smoothies, etc. Depending on the person's size and symptoms most drs recommend 20 to 35 grams of wheat bran a day. It only takes 3 or 4 days to see a marked improvement in symptoms. Wheat bran also has the advantage of having significant levels of many vitamins and minerals. 

One of the best foods available for wheat bran is Post Shredded Wheat. It takes about 3 cups to get enough insoluble fiber and the down side of that is you will be also getting a lot more carbs too. I buy and use wheat bran from Amazon and it has helped my digestive issues a lot. What have you got to lose?

#1862 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:23 AM

AJ, weren't you using Citrucel?  That is a soluble fiber and can make IBS even worse in some people. 

#1863 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:30 AM

AJ, weren't you using Citrucel?  That is a soluble fiber and can make IBS even worse in some people. 

No I have not been using anything like that I haven't really had Diareah most of my symptoms are nervous stomach feeling like gurgling, indigestion, sometimes acid reflux, I had a thought tho and I need some help gathering information to see if this makes any sense. They took me off cold turkey from my adderall about 3 weeks ago now. I was on 10 mg for about 10 year give or take a year. Is it possible I am experiencing withdrawal from that. I tried to research online about it and I did read there could be some nervousness involved after stop taking it. I also read depression is a huge thing and stress it said it can make stress seem 100 times worse during withdrawal. My dr is hesistan about giving me it anymore because it contributes to anxiety its a stimulant. Any advice is welcomed thank you

#1864 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:40 AM

Adderall is an amphetamine  and as such has a significant withdrawal.

Some info in https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2528719/.

I do agree with your dr that it was probably adding to your anxiety during its use. On the other hand I am not sure cold turkey was the best idea either but an not that familiar with Adderall withdrawal.

Unluckily the added withdrawal will take some time to heal. 

I would still consider the wheat bran for your stomach/GI issues. It could be a significant help, safe to use and will only take a few days to see benefits.

#1865 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:38 PM

Adderall is an amphetamine  and as such has a significant withdrawal.

Some info in https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2528719/.

I do agree with your dr that it was probably adding to your anxiety during its use. On the other hand I am not sure cold turkey was the best idea either but an not that familiar with Adderall withdrawal.

Unluckily the added withdrawal will take some time to heal. 

I would still consider the wheat bran for your stomach/GI issues. It could be a significant help, safe to use and will only take a few days to see benefits.

I will try and get some for sure. I hope these withdrawal symptoms go away soon

#1866 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:13 PM

FH, I'm the one that was taking Citrucel. 

Insoluble fiber is good for constipation. Not advised for diarrhea. Citrucel is best for diarrhea predominant IBS because it's all soluble fiber, which soaks up water. 

#1867 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:41 AM

Whoops, already left you a post on another thread. I do agree there is much data to support that position. But there is also data that suggests that IBSD  is self perpetuating due to inflammation to the smooth muscles in the digestive tract. With less "solids" in the waste stream the parastolic contraction in the digestive tract and this causes the muscles to cramp and spasm as well as further inflame the issue. Insoluble fiber does not absorb much water, true, but it does provide bulk and decrease inflammation. Normally I would add medical references to support such statements but as I am sure you are aware the is as many against this approach as in favor of it. I do know one thing, it sure helped mine.

#1868 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 10:35 AM

Whoops, already left you a post on another thread. I do agree there is much data to support that position. But there is also data that suggests that IBSD  is self perpetuating due to inflammation to the smooth muscles in the digestive tract. With less "solids" in the waste stream the parastolic contraction in the digestive tract and this causes the muscles to cramp and spasm as well as further inflame the issue. Insoluble fiber does not absorb much water, true, but it does provide bulk and decrease inflammation. Normally I would add medical references to support such statements but as I am sure you are aware the is as many against this approach as in favor of it. I do know one thing, it sure helped mine.

Can i get wheat bran from Wal mart? Or should I just look for insolube fiber ? Stomach is not great today took a gabapentin to calm down 

#1869 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 11:51 AM

so obviously I need to change what I eat for awhile so my gut can heal. I need some ideas on what I should eat for breakfast lunch and dinner. Please I am no good at this

#1870 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:18 PM

MAGNESIUM ??

#1871 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:36 PM

Magnesium causes diarrhea.

AJ, just go on line and read about 'bland diets'. That would be the best for you. They use it for stomach and heart patients because it is easy on the stomach. 

I don't think Walmart carries insoluble fiber in the stores but they should have it on line as does Amazon. In addition, most health food stores carry it. I would strongly recommend wheat fiber as it is the form of insoluble fiber most recommended by drs for IBS. 

#1872 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:05 PM

FH whatever works is great! 

Agreed about diarrhea and inflammation. Problem with diarrhea is that it in itself can cause inflammation in the gut if you have it for a while. And then you just spiral. Good to break the cycle and give the gut a chance to heal in between. Imodium gave me that break for sure. I think things are pretty well healed up now. I'm doing much better. Still eating oatmeal most days for breakfast and taking my soluble fiber morning and night. It's been almost 3 weeks with no Imodium. I think it's going to be ok. Just need to stay away from raw leafy greens. I think they are a trigger for me.  

#1873 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:17 PM

FH whatever works is great! 

Agreed about diarrhea and inflammation. Problem with diarrhea is that it in itself can cause inflammation in the gut if you have it for a while. And then you just spiral. Good to break the cycle and give the gut a chance to heal in between. Imodium gave me that break for sure. I think things are pretty well healed up now. I'm doing much better. Still eating oatmeal most days for breakfast and taking my soluble fiber morning and night. It's been almost 3 weeks with no Imodium. I think it's going to be ok. Just need to stay away from raw leafy greens. I think they are a trigger for me.  

I dont have diarreah should I still take imodium ? 

#1874 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:33 PM

Imodium is for diarrhea primarily but it also slows down the action of the muscles in the stomach and intestines. If you have a lot of churning and rolling in your GI tract it can really slow that down but the trick is not to take so much that you become constipated. When you start on the insoluble fiber you will probably find it a good idea to slow down on the Imodium. 

#1875 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:48 PM

Imodium is for diarrhea primarily but it also slows down the action of the muscles in the stomach and intestines. If you have a lot of churning and rolling in your GI tract it can really slow that down but the trick is not to take so much that you become constipated. When you start on the insoluble fiber you will probably find it a good idea to slow down on the Imodium. 

Gotcha I have been taking Gabapentin as needed it helps some to which is weird. Today was an ok day until around 4 when I started to get an acidy feeling in my gut. I am trying to remember how long this lasted 2 years ago I remember having to come home and take maylox for awhile. Then I switched to kefir. I am doing my best not to focus to much on this. I have been thinking about seeing a gastro dr. My dr the other day at my physical said if I was much older she would probably send me that way but since  I am only 38 she thinks its just nerves and needing to heal my gut after being so tense. I am having a hard time trusting her because of my health anxiety. Life is pretty difficult these days and last night I woke up crying around 4 am I told my wife I was thinking I need to be back in lock up again she said if I went again she will file for divorce because she cannot deal with the instability. I am lost these days and scared I just want to feel better and everything I try doesn't seem to work. it is like 1 step forward 5 steps back with my gut and my anxiety about my gut. My wife thinks I am doing this to myself and she may be right but that doesn't mean I know how to fix it either. anyways lifie is hard

#1876 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:25 PM

https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms/stomach-upset.shtml

#1877 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2021 - 06:27 PM

Excellent overview although I wished they would have mentioned that the neurotransmitter imbalance is what causes these issues.

Definitely what you are suffering from.

#1878 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:47 AM

Well done on the research AJ - just make sure you balance things up with other sources. There is some good information out there, is a case of finding the appropriate sources for your present condition. The collective members here on the forum have had untold experience with GI issues, so combined experiences speaks volumes to a few isolated studies.

#1879 chaoskitty

chaoskitty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 12:20 PM

I don't know how helpful this is but most of my life (on these pills) was more so constipated, now getting off I feel like I'm developing ibs stuff. I started eating more root vegetables, and these recipes are really good: https://www.purpleca...tegories/dinner

and probiotics smoothie like drink with my meds now. I still have to go to the bathroom after I eat meat, I'm finding. I don't know why I love meat. (: I don't think it's a gluten intolerance either. but wow finally finding some good tasting recipes and FEELING GOOD after I eat is just a little nice thing keeping me going.

wishing you the best in your healing journey

#1880 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:09 PM

Today was going good this morning then I was at church and one of my friends was talking to me for about 20 minutes then I went to sit down and all of a sudden I was so so tired. I don't know why I felt that way I think maybe I was overwhelmed and tense and then once I could relax it just hit me hard. I also wanted to try some chocolate this morning since I have been feeling good maybe a sugar crash. My mind went right for diabetes and a heart condition. Wouldnt my blood test tell my dr if I had these issues ? Now my stomach is upset indigestion is here and I feel miserable I just want to cry my anxiety got so bad at church and after Now I am scared

#1881 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:47 PM

I got your back AJ. My head is swimming today and as of about 90 minutes ago, I have the worst stomach cramps...

It is so easy to let your mind go awol on what it could all be, but it just makes it worse, blood test would should diabetes if they tested for it, but heart condition requires an ECG.

But if you had a heart condition you would have pains, black-outs, palpitations. Fatigue could be a many number of things, and given your anxiety of late, that would be my first answer. A heart condition at your age would have shown up in other ways I am sure. A friend of mine - same age - diagnosed with a heart condition was blacking out and was exhausted just walking from the living room to the kitchen - but that, I mean he HAD to sit down. Believe me, you would know!

#1882 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 February 2021 - 06:07 PM

Unluckily just the typical rollercoaster of stress.

#1883 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 07:37 PM

My wife and I are having issues she says she feels like she is doing this all on her own and she is but it just adds to my stress because I cant step up right now its to much I want to go back to the facility I don't feel like I stayed long enough but I am worried she will divorce me or leave me

#1884 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:32 AM

So sorry for your situation AJ. No easy answers here I am afraid. You must get better though before you can be a better husband. 

Any sign the Zoloft is kicking in?

#1885 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:32 AM

You have had a history of this AJ, so naturally this is going to be a source of stress and anxiety.

A viscous circle. You feel the pressure to get a hold of your anxiety before something kicks off, but as Hat said, YOU need to come first. 

You might concern yourself that the wife feels you are being selfish in doing this, but you are doing all you can. Just look at the help you have been seeking here on the forum. If you didn't love your wife and family so much, you wouldn't feel this anxiety and you wouldn't be putting this effort in.

Your wife needs to understand that. Although there may be little you can do directly to aid her, what you are doing is the same in helping yourself. Sounds like you are doing this alone. This is where many people would throw the towel in, give up. But you have just kept going. This needs to be acknowledged by your family.

If your wife feels like she needs support, then she should be encouraged - we even have our own section exactly for this purpose. There will be no bias, no judgement. She can even PM for total anonymity if desired. But she needs help just the same as you do. 

This is a two-way street. No question. You need to be met half-way.

#1886 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 03:00 PM

I got out of a Rehabilitation program this morning. I left on my own 9 days short of the 45 days. I learned a lot skills to deal with my anxiety. I am on Buspar 20 mg taken twice a day and Lamotragine 200mg a day. My plan is still to wean off meds in the future once I ve been stable for awhile. Thanks for all the support over the last few months. I had one question for Hat I know you spent time in a program like mine did you get depressed when you got home ? Its more like I am sad because I am going from having people around me who is taking care of me and having stuff to do constantly to coming home and having my wife and kids which is great but I still feel sad almost like grief. I made some good friends there but now I am not around them anyways as always advice is welcomed. 

Chris 

#1887 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 March 2021 - 04:45 PM

Oh Chris, I am sorry if I mislead you in any way. I have never been an inpatient in a withdrawal clinic before. I sincerely hope these meds work out better for you. We are always here to help if we can.

Your Freind Hat

#1888 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 20 March 2021 - 05:20 PM

Hi AJ...

That is a great thing you did there brother, let's acknowledge that first. Please feel free to share anything you found if you feel it might help!

Just remember that our emotions are meant to be bipolar. We have good and bad; one cannot exist without the other. What would it say about a person if they didn't miss the friends and the empathy that you got from them during this time. What you are feeling is normal from such a sensitive fella. 

We are all different. You were this hardened solider who fought in the middle east, but underneath you are this kind and loving family man. It is you what you are feeling, and that is nothing to be upset about. It will dissipate, but I am sure there would be no harm in contacting the administrators of the group to see if they would pass you details on to some of the other members there and you can make contact as you find your way back in the world.

Take care brother

#1889 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 11:15 AM

Oh Chris, I am sorry if I mislead you in any way. I have never been an inpatient in a withdrawal clinic before. I sincerely hope these meds work out better for you. We are always here to help if we can.

Your Freind Hat

Hi AJ...

That is a great thing you did there brother, let's acknowledge that first. Please feel free to share anything you found if you feel it might help!

Just remember that our emotions are meant to be bipolar. We have good and bad; one cannot exist without the other. What would it say about a person if they didn't miss the friends and the empathy that you got from them during this time. What you are feeling is normal from such a sensitive fella. 

We are all different. You were this hardened solider who fought in the middle east, but underneath you are this kind and loving family man. It is you what you are feeling, and that is nothing to be upset about. It will dissipate, but I am sure there would be no harm in contacting the administrators of the group to see if they would pass you details on to some of the other members there and you can make contact as you find your way back in the world.

Take care brother

Thank you both it has been a tuff go lately. I have reached out to a few people I was in with and they are experiencing the same thing. Its loneliness like when in the facility its almost like being back in the military the brother /sisterhood is great then when you come out its like ripping off a band aid no one is around you feel less cared for and you have to rely on yourself to feel good I struggle with that. I did a lot of CBT and acceptance therapy grief and shame groups etc.... it has helped and continues to help I am not my feelings.

#1890 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:56 PM

Just keep putting everything into practise - that is the crucial part...

Remember we are always here whenever you need us though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users