2761 replies to this topic

#1921 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:18 AM

The problem I find with masks is that although wearing them does not affect oxygen or carbon dioxide levels, it is the layer between your mouth and fresh air which prevents easy deep breathing. I also find that I get headaches if I wear them for 90 minutes plus. 

I know I might not be helping! But there are pros and cons.

But, as Hat said, how do you think you will cope with the noise and crowds of a theme park? Although we have come a long way, I think I speak on behalf of Hat and myself in saying that even we would experiences a few difficulties 

#1922 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:28 AM

The problem I find with masks is that although wearing them does not affect oxygen or carbon dioxide levels, it is the layer between your mouth and fresh air which prevents easy deep breathing. I also find that I get headaches if I wear them for 90 minutes plus. 

I know I might not be helping! But there are pros and cons.

But, as Hat said, how do you think you will cope with the noise and crowds of a theme park? Although we have come a long way, I think I speak on behalf of Hat and myself in saying that even we would experiences a few difficulties 

Definitely will be a struggle i struggle at the mall as well. I actually bought some kn95 masks for the trip to help with that anxiety. 

#1923 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:40 AM

I agree with IUN. I think that if you follow the basic rules of Covid you should be OK but dealing with the activities/noise/hassles of a theme park...well I would not want to attempt it. If you decide to go there are some things you can do to help. Ear plugs to cut the noise levels, close your eyes at any down time (eg. waiting in line), let a family member take care of all the people interfaces (buying tickets asking questions...). Things like this will help. 

#1924 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:43 AM

That is the best thing you can do. Change them every day if it will help with the anxiety - despite the knowledge that a mask will last longer, but it may help you knowing you are using a fresh mask each day.

It is a good test of anxiety, but just remember, there are plenty of people that consider themselves not to have a mental heath problem, yet avoid theme parks because they get panic attacks. I have a friend that avoids the supermarket until after 7pm because she cannot stand the amount of people and the queues but does not consider it an issue, whereas I could easily walk around a supermarket during the day if needed.

So don't sell yourself short. Feeling nervous at such places is quite "normal" and I would put money on a poll taken at such a place - if you ask 10 people if they feel uncomfortable, I reckon at least 2 or 3 would say that they do... but they do it for their kids, partner etc, just like you. So just bear in mind that you will certainly not be alone in what you are feeling.

#1925 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:46 AM

I agree with IUN. I think that if you follow the basic rules of Covid you should be OK but dealing with the activities/noise/hassles of a theme park...well I would not want to attempt it. If you decide to go there are some things you can do to help. Ear plugs to cut the noise levels, close your eyes at any down time (eg. waiting in line), let a family member take care of all the people interfaces (buying tickets asking questions...). Things like this will help. 

Some really good advice there...

#1926 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:42 PM

Thank you both 

#1927 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

I have had a sore throat off and on for about a week and am freaking out that i might be cancer. 

#1928 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:18 PM

Ahhh, how the mind runs amok when in withdrawal. 

#1929 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

I have had a sore throat off and on for about a week and am freaking out that i might be cancer. 

Strange as last 2-3 days I have had exactly the same. Just comes and then goes as soon as it came. I put it down to stress. 

But if it were cancer, it would be persistent for sure - not on and off. Your voice would change as well as any growth would change the shape of the throat. Put it down to your health anxiety as much as you can - but I really do understand.

But if its cancer I will eat my hat as the English used to say. Just to clarify, eating my hat, not eating Hat - that simply could not be done. Hat is far too big to be eaten... :)

#1930 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 April 2021 - 06:57 AM

People have come close to that IUN. I hav e been chewed out seversl times.  lol

#1931 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:06 PM

I have thrush I went to the dr today cause I had that persistent itchy throat and my tongue is white and blotchy kind of. He was stumped on how I could get it. I read online that stress plus dry mouth can do it. I know its common in the young and elderly. I know that I have been so preoccupied i didn't change out my toothbrush for a few months and I haven't washed my mask except for once. Could that have caused it ? I am stupid and went to dr. google and it says all kinds of things that could cause it like a compromised immune system from Aids and cancer etc... have any of you dealt with this ? I know it can be caused by dry mouth too which the zoloft does give me dry mouth and I noticed when my anxiety was high last week I was breathing out of my mouth more.

#1932 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 April 2021 - 02:09 PM

Candida (thrush) and H. pylori are fairly common infections that we see in members. They are common in those with stress and/or weak immune systems. Dozens of different ways to contract these. It will be handled by the antifungal medication.

#1933 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:31 PM

Candida (thrush) and H. pylori are fairly common infections that we see in members. They are common in those with stress and/or weak immune systems. Dozens of different ways to contract these. It will be handled by the antifungal medication.

Thank you hat you are once again a rockstar the internet made me feel like I was some kind of rare oddity being a healthy 38 year old with no real medical issues it was a crazy thing. I am using this anti fungal rinse 4 times a day. It is good to know this is common among everyone else too. thank you

#1934 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 18 April 2021 - 05:50 PM

Masks will also be a breeding ground for germs, thus infections. Something that wasn't made clear to people when this whole thing kicked off.

Masks need to be changed frequently or washed if washable...

#1935 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:34 AM

Went to er tested me for thrush, mono, and strep all came back negative they said its most likely dry air and allergies causing sore throat i think my anxiety contributes to it my health anxiety doesnt want me to believe this

#1936 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:35 PM

It's the high season for allergies right now with everything in bloom. We are also all indoors more than ever before so something in your home could be triggering you more than normal.

Also reading through some of your posts, a big problem with Cymbalta withdrawal and the subsequent long tail of physical anxiety symptoms it can kick off is that often the physical anxiety comes and goes somewhat on its own (or is flared up through some acute moment of stress but then hangs around for a while even after the stress is passed) but your brain tries to assign meaning to it because it wants to figure out what the problem is. So, some heart pounding and shortness of breath turns into your brain searching around for reasons that you might be experiencing anxiety and coming up with its own answers. I have this happen often. It's quite annoying because it can be hard to stop your mind once it gets going and you start to believe what it's telling you...

#1937 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:10 PM

It's the high season for allergies right now with everything in bloom. We are also all indoors more than ever before so something in your home could be triggering you more than normal.

Also reading through some of your posts, a big problem with Cymbalta withdrawal and the subsequent long tail of physical anxiety symptoms it can kick off is that often the physical anxiety comes and goes somewhat on its own (or is flared up through some acute moment of stress but then hangs around for a while even after the stress is passed) but your brain tries to assign meaning to it because it wants to figure out what the problem is. So, some heart pounding and shortness of breath turns into your brain searching around for reasons that you might be experiencing anxiety and coming up with its own answers. I have this happen often. It's quite annoying because it can be hard to stop your mind once it gets going and you start to believe what it's telling you...

I have been off cymbalta now for 3 years is it possible i am still feeling the effects of it ? I am super nervous about my upcoming trip i am  mostly worried i will get Covid are there any coping strategies you all can suggest. i dont want to dissapoint my family so i am going to go 

#1938 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:30 PM

It is good that you are facing the fear.

I assume that where you are going has taken the necessary measures to prevent the spreading of COVID? Here in the UK we are still following quite strict guidelines and it is all about ensuring that everyone does their part. This is all that can be asked. 

Worrying about things you cannot control is always going to cause stress. But if you wear the appropriate apparel, and remove yourself from any situations which make you concerned, then you will be fine. No-one can judge you for being concerned.

#1939 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:00 PM

I don't think Cymbalta is causing any of your issues. But maybe to some extent you're still slowly adjusting to life without it, if that makes sense.

Being afraid of getting COVID is a very legitimate concern, but we are lucky that a year later we know a lot more about how to help avoid getting it. I'm sure you already know all these things: significantly less likely to catch it outdoors. Which works out well when you're going to a theme park. Wear a clean mask. N95 or KN95 is ideal or you can get the cloth kind where you can stick a filter in like a coffee filter. You can also add a face shield which may also help make you feel safer. I think the fear catching COVID from surfaces is pretty much a thing of the past. I still like to be thoughtful about my hand washing and hand sanitizing just as a good measure but it's very very unlikely that you would catch it this way.

You may also want to give some more thought to getting a vaccine. I understand that it's scary especially as many people do experience flu-like symptoms for a day or so after getting it. But maybe the couple of days of anxiety would be worth foregoing having to worry about COVID in an ongoing way. That is for you to decide

#1940 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:55 PM

I got there and back safely did ok with the crowds as well. No Covid symptoms so far thank God. Still very anxious had a crying fit this morning not sure what that is about. been hyper focused on death again. 

#1941 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

If you handled the crowds well that is a great sign!!  Fantastic. The worry about covid has probably brought back some death OCD but it should fade over the next few days.

#1942 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:12 PM

WELL DONE AJ!!!

Seriously VERY proud of you. This is stuff that would have had me really anxious. You have done something truly amazing. You are an inspiration.

I have no doubt that the stress of it bought about a bit of upset, but there is a reason. You went a fair bit out your comfort zone, so just let that sink in and realise what you have managed to do. If a few symptoms come out, just let them because nothing can take away that courage.

#1943 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:26 AM

WELL DONE AJ!!!

Seriously VERY proud of you. This is stuff that would have had me really anxious. You have done something truly amazing. You are an inspiration.

I have no doubt that the stress of it bought about a bit of upset, but there is a reason. You went a fair bit out your comfort zone, so just let that sink in and realise what you have managed to do. If a few symptoms come out, just let them because nothing can take away that courage.

Thank you bud i forget sometimes that what I am doing is helping and is brave. I just do it then wonder why I feel upset after but you put that in perspective and I appreciate you my friend. 

#1944 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 11:21 AM

Still having up and down days but getting better. Some days I dont feel real like I am watching myself from the outside other days i am so anxious its hard to function. I am doing the best I can I think about my time in the facility and that actually helps knowing I have some place I can for help if I need it. 

#1945 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:26 PM

You are tough and a fighter AJ. Hang in there sir.

#1946 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:23 AM

Don't underestimate the fatigue you will have experienced from the family trip. You did a fantastic job, but inevitably it will have stirred up a few chemicals which must now settle - and they will. So as difficult as it might seem, just let this time pass and take stock after a few days once you have recovered. Draw on your skills that you got from the facility as you say. That is the best part of it all - the taking away of the elements which you have been taught.

It is just a dip in an otherwise logical progress. It will pass.

#1947 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:35 AM

Somedays are getting better trying to not end up in another existential crisis but its diffcult right now again 

#1948 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:55 AM

These swings will eventually level out. Just btry to remember when you are having a bad day that it is only temporary. Hang in there my freind.

#1949 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:08 PM

Try to remember that these times are mere symptoms of an illness - they are not you.

Anxiety, depression, OCD... all are SYMPTOMS. Look at my signature. This is a great quote. You are not your brain, you are not your body. Try to distance yourself as much as you can from this. The real AJ is the quiet soul behind all these things. The courageous, God-fearing family man. You are not these thoughts. You are free.....

If our dear Gail could tell you, she would confirm this now she is at peace. She was (and still is) such an inspiration.

#1950 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:25 PM

Been reading a book called dont worry there probably is an after life by james taylor. Its pretty good. Had some anxiety flare up over the weekend made my acid reflux act up. Trying to relax more and not focus so much on the negative. Thank you both for the encouraging words. I have been focused on death again lately seems like its everywhere these days and its the only thing to focus on. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)