2738 replies to this topic

#2431 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 05:10 PM

Dentists don't like to pull teeth when they are infected as it can contaminate the blood.  I assume they put you on antibiotics. It will take the antibiotics 2 or 3 days to have an effect but you should be alright AJ.

So my infection is in my gums above my tooth cause the tooth under my crown is cracked the dr gave me a prescription for amoxicillin but told me not to take it until 3 days before my surgery my surgery is on the 22nd thats why im freaking out cause what if it gets worse in the mean time ? I keep reading its rare that i can spread but I dont know what to do anymore 

#2432 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:34 PM

If it gets worse just go into the ER and they will go ahead and put you on antibiotics. They will take care of you. It will be OK.

#2433 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:50 PM

Hat is absolutely right - this is by far from a reason to worry. What you are talking about is hundreds to one. I would say with confidence that you have nothing to worry about. 

Please try to understand this. I know that with health anxiety always focuses on the worst possible scenario, but the truth as you know it, is far from what you are thinking. 

Again, as Hat said, if it gets worse, a course of antibiotics will sort you out. 

I am not a fan of antibiotics, but they have their place.

Take care.

#2434 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:36 AM

its been a tough couple of weeks its strange how history repeats itself albeit with different issues. Just like last year I am over worked and stressed then have a medical issue the tooth this time not the stomach issues etc.. It is weird but at least this time around I know a bit more about how to handle it. I am hoping to get some time off soon to relax and take some time for myself. I am getting my tooth fixed thursday well extracted I start Anti bitotics on Monday so keeping my mind on that. God bless

#2435 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:07 PM

Experience is good teacher. Good luck with the extraction. Should be a piece of cake.

#2436 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 14 August 2022 - 03:29 PM

Crikey AJ! You do find this stuff somehow!

I really hope the extraction went well. Just be careful whilst on and just off the antibiotics and it will wipe your immunity. Keep clear of any potential germs and just keep those stress levels low, ok?

Here in the UK, they have a tendency to really overdo the dose for antibiotics in general, but dentists are the worst - we are talking 500mg+ penicillin for 10 days (only just recently cut down from 14 days). You'd end up like a zombie at the end!!!

Hope you are well brother...

#2437 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 11:56 AM

Crikey AJ! You do find this stuff somehow!

I really hope the extraction went well. Just be careful whilst on and just off the antibiotics and it will wipe your immunity. Keep clear of any potential germs and just keep those stress levels low, ok?

Here in the UK, they have a tendency to really overdo the dose for antibiotics in general, but dentists are the worst - we are talking 500mg+ penicillin for 10 days (only just recently cut down from 14 days). You'd end up like a zombie at the end!!!

Hope you are well brother...

Thats scary I have to take 500 mg 3 times a day right now, what do you mean wipe out immunity/ does that mean i am going to get sick and die or I could get sick and die ? Yikes. Let me know what should I do ?

#2438 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2022 - 04:03 PM

The antibiotics will do well in controlling you tooth infection BUT it will also kill the good bacteria in your digestive system. Be sure to take a good probiotic for about 7 to 10 days AFTER the antibiotics are done. This will re-establish the good bacteria. 

P.S. - Don't be surprised if the antibiotics give you some diarrhea. That is common and will stop shortly after you are done with them.

#2439 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 05:19 PM

Got the tooth out yesterday had a cyst the size of a blueberry on where the crack was at on my root. doing ok so far 

#2440 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 20 August 2022 - 10:45 AM

Got the tooth out yesterday had a cyst the size of a blueberry on where the crack was at on my root. doing ok so far 

Crikey! Glad that you got it sorted out - best thing you could have done under the circumstances. 

Well done for getting through all that - just make sure you take it easy from here on in...

#2441 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 05:06 PM

Dentist gave me a zpack for 5 days which I am supposed to start tomorrow so I have been on amoxacillin for 10 days 1500mg a day and now this one my nurse says its safe and shouldnt cause any issues since its for a short time. anyways i had major panic that turned into a deep depression but that only lasted a day now I am on the upswing again. Hope you all are well. thanks 

#2442 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 August 2022 - 05:32 PM

Many antibiotics can cause the death of "good" bacteria in the digestive tract that can cause a swing in depression or anxiety but is usually short lived. 

Clindamycin is the only antibiotic that I know of that can cause a significant increase in anxiety. It is contraindicated for patients with anxiety.

#2443 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 10:41 AM

Many antibiotics can cause the death of "good" bacteria in the digestive tract that can cause a swing in depression or anxiety but is usually short lived. 

Clindamycin is the only antibiotic that I know of that can cause a significant increase in anxiety. It is contraindicated for patients with anxiety.

I read online that the z pack can cause heart problems and death ?? 

#2444 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 August 2022 - 04:08 PM

Azithromycin and the Risk of Cardiovascular Death

Abstract

BACKGROUND
Although several macrolide antibiotics are proarrhythmic and associated with an increased risk of sudden cardiac death, azithromycin is thought to have minimal cardiotoxicity. However, published reports of arrhythmias suggest that azithromycin may increase the risk of cardiovascular death.

METHODS
We studied a Tennessee Medicaid cohort designed to detect an increased risk of death related to short-term cardiac effects of medication, excluding patients with serious noncardiovascular illness and person-time during and shortly after hospitalization. The cohort included patients who took azithromycin (347,795 prescriptions), propensity-score–matched persons who took no antibiotics (1,391,180 control periods), and patients who took amoxicillin (1,348,672 prescriptions), ciprofloxacin (264,626 prescriptions), or levofloxacin (193,906 prescriptions).

RESULTS
During 5 days of therapy, patients taking azithromycin, as compared with those who took no antibiotics, had an increased risk of cardiovascular death (hazard ratio, 2.88; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.79 to 4.63; P<0.001) and death from any cause (hazard ratio, 1.85; 95% CI, 1.25 to 2.75; P=0.002). Patients who took amoxicillin had no increase in the risk of death during this period. Relative to amoxicillin, azithromycin was associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular death (hazard ratio, 2.49; 95% CI, 1.38 to 4.50; P=0.002) and death from any cause (hazard ratio, 2.02; 95% CI, 1.24 to 3.30; P=0.005), with an estimated 47 additional cardiovascular deaths per 1 million courses; patients in the highest decile of risk for cardiovascular disease had an estimated 245 additional cardiovascular deaths per 1 million courses. The risk of cardiovascular death was significantly greater with azithromycin than with ciprofloxacin but did not differ significantly from that with levofloxacin.

CONCLUSIONS
During 5 days of azithromycin therapy, there was a small absolute increase in cardiovascular deaths, which was most pronounced among patients with a high baseline risk of cardiovascular disease. (Funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and the Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research Centers for Education and Research on Therapeutics.)

Summary - 
Azithromycin has a 2.5 greater risk of cardiac death than no antibiotic or taking amoxicillin.

47 additional deaths per million in standard population and additional 245 cardiac deaths per million in those with a high risk of heart disease.

Azithromycin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as respiratory infections, skin infections, ear infections, eye infections, and sexually transmitted diseases.

#2445 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 30 August 2022 - 12:18 PM

Try not to read too much into it. The anxiety and following depression is likely to do with your heath anxiety. 

A 5-day course is much better than anything longer. That is an ideal length of time to be taking them as it does not require too much recovery  as it does when you are taking them for 10 or 14 days which is what they feel is necessary here in the UK!!

#2446 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 31 August 2022 - 05:10 PM

Been a really tough week Monday I had so much tension in my neck and shoulders that it caused a headache. This has happened before so I tried to sleep it off that night like I normally do instead I had a panic attack that resulted in me throwing up. Have not been that wound up in a very long time. Now I am just trying to recover. The days are going by and stress levels are moderate to high but I am trying to get through I know time and patience will get me through this. I still am struggling tho with the health anxiety and anxiety in general. I hope you all are well

#2447 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 September 2022 - 07:17 AM

Sorry to hear about your increase in stress lately. That makes things so difficult. Hang in there AJ, we are pulling for you.

#2448 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 01 September 2022 - 02:41 PM

I'm here with you AJ.

I just started back with my previous therapist yesterday and it was so painful to go through everything that happened previously, and then again everything that has happened in the last year where I have been with out her.

The first session resulted in an anxiety attack and a seizure. I get you completely. 

Sometimes these things can come back with little warning and get to us and be a real sting.

Just come back here and talk to us and offload as much as you need. That is what we are here for.

Much love

IUN

#2449 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 11:20 AM

I have been so overwhelmed and busy at work that i forgot to refill my Adderall been without it for about a week and having lots withdrawl symptoms did get it filled should be ok once i get back on it. Otherwise I am doing ok learning to be ok with not knowing the future or what lies beyond the grave just trying to focus on the here and now

#2450 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 September 2022 - 07:53 AM

AJ... 

You are stressed - life is like this. I cannot tell you how many times I have woken up and the phone goes, there is an email, someone turns up at the door. Then... "did I take my pills?".

Then of course you are worried to take them as you would double the dose, but equally worried in case you didn't and you will have a potential mini withdrawal.

But at the same time, and just as easily, you can forget altogether! But don't blame yourself. This is the world we live in.

If anything, the best thing you can do is get a pill caddy. My wife got one from Amazon for £3 with the days of the week printed and it is perfect for this situation. Might be worth a thought?

Thinking of you, brother.

#2451 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 10:00 AM

I have been having problems with what i think its derealization. Lately I just feel like something is off with everything around me. I have been under a tremendous amount of stress the last few months and now the lows have started. I cant seem to get out of this I have been trying tools that I have kind of I dont really have the energy to do any of them either. I am scared I may have some health issue but deep down I believe this is all from being worked up and then coming down again. It seems like when I do get a grip some other stressful experience happens and I go back up again like throwing gas on embers to reignite a fire. I dont know what to do my social workers thinks I should find a new job which is added stress itself my wife says i need to stay the course and try to find ways to deal better at work. everyday for me feels like one more step closer to going in and being locked up in a mental hospital. My wife keeps saying if that happens she is leaving she wont make the kids go through that again never knowing when I will be home. I dont know what to do to get through this. I need help but not sure where to turn or what to do. God bless

#2452 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 September 2022 - 10:49 AM

"...my social workers thinks I should find a new job which is added stress itself my wife says i need to stay the course and try to find ways to deal better at work."

I agree with find a new job. As far as "stay the course and try to find ways to deal better at work", easier said than done.

#2453 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 20 September 2022 - 10:19 AM

A little story for you AJ...

I woke with some really nasty depression, but something made me get up and get out. I did my first call-out and then I knew I had to do a quick bit of shopping, as much as I could not bear it, but there was little food in the house, As I went to the grocery store, there was a guy outside with his head in his hands. It was all I could think about.

When I came out, I sat down beside him. He had a prosthetic arm - an ex veteran who had just been kicked out by his partner. He had nowhere to go. He was a mess. We had a good chat and we exchanged a few pleasantries and I ended up buying him lunch. Such a nice guy and in no way could I see that he deserved what he got after all he had been through and given up for his country.

When I left... I said, "Sorry, I never got your name....?"

"It's Chris"

Strange how God works isn't it....

#2454 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 September 2022 - 12:14 PM

So many emotions in me with that story and they all provoke feelings of anger and frustration on how we treat each other but all I can say is....Well done IUN.

#2455 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 04:33 PM

A little story for you AJ...

I woke with some really nasty depression, but something made me get up and get out. I did my first call-out and then I knew I had to do a quick bit of shopping, as much as I could not bear it, but there was little food in the house, As I went to the grocery store, there was a guy outside with his head in his hands. It was all I could think about.

When I came out, I sat down beside him. He had a prosthetic arm - an ex veteran who had just been kicked out by his partner. He had nowhere to go. He was a mess. We had a good chat and we exchanged a few pleasantries and I ended up buying him lunch. Such a nice guy and in no way could I see that he deserved what he got after all he had been through and given up for his country.

When I left... I said, "Sorry, I never got your name....?"

"It's Chris"

Strange how God works isn't it....

Very much so my friend. God definetly put you in that guys life for a reason the same way he put you in fish in my life. I am so grateful I have you both even if its bits and pieces on here it helps and it truly has saved me from some very dark places. 

#2456 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 20 September 2022 - 05:30 PM

So many emotions in me with that story and they all provoke feelings of anger and frustration on how we treat each other but all I can say is....Well done IUN.

Thank you both. I came home, made a cup of tea and prayed from him before my next call-out. He was such a kind a generous soul, and Hat, yes, I understand everything you feel. People worthy of much more than that which they are given by the state - hence by humble generosity. 

#2457 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 04:24 PM

I am considering psychedelics for my Mental health. I believe the VA has the Ketamine nasal spray , however I am torn on if it will help or not. I just want to feel normal for once in this lifetime. Not so anxious not so depressed not so jumpy from my PTSD is it worth it does anyone know what the risks are ? thanks 

#2458 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 22 September 2022 - 06:06 PM

I don't like these things being referred to as psychedelics when they are used for medicinal use. When used in the correct environment and with the correct purpose, it should be considered medicinal. Do not confuse the two purposes.

If not for anything else, the dose that you will take with the nasal spray is significantly lower than that taken by other for the sake of a "high".

From what I have read and spoken about, it is very much a subjective experience. 

There are two ways if going about this way of releasing you from mental health. The first, is to have a series of 2-3 larger doses by infusion. These can make you feel quite strange, but are said to "reset" the brain. You can expect to feel quite strange after each infusion. But the purpose is that within the space of 1-3 doses, you will no longer be plagued by your depression and/or anxiesty.

The alternative is the nasal spray which is to be used more or less as an asthma device. When you feel you are in need of it, it can be used, or it can be taken on a regular basis for a set number of days as a reduced means of the above. So, it is possible that you "could" cure yourself from your problems, but it is very subjective.

I would say there is no harm whatsoever in trying the inhaler. The alternative method carries a lot more risk. Another member, LDN, had the quicker treatment and it really did a number on him. It did NOT help him with his problems, but that is not to say that it would not (as it has) helped other people. But again, it is very subjective.

It is a new medication and needs a lot more testing before anyone can say with any certainty whether, and on whom, it is likely to work. 

#2459 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:32 AM

Totally agree with IUN. Good post.

#2460 Axlejames

Axlejames

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 05:12 PM

Well some lessons have been learned as I come back up from being down. The biggest lesson is as my stress goes up it makes my mental health issues far worse. If I can keep my stress levels down to manageable I can keep the anxiety and depression at bay. I learned I am a classic people pleaser trying to be everybodies hero Working on it now to find better ways of dealing with people and the stuff that they want done. What is in my scope and whats not. I say this every time I come here but I am so grateful for you guys I am a blessed person to have 2 very smart individuals with whom I can talk about these things. I hope that you all are doing well and that things are going good for you. As far as the Psychodelics go the only one offered to us Vets is Ketamine and I am more interested in how psychlobin has been working. I am going to talk to my dr about seeing if I can get in on a study for it or to try it somehow. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users