Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:08 PM

Hello everyone , I have a question for you .
Has anyone had a bad experience or s/es from medical testing , eg MRIs ?.
I had a MRI of the brain 4 days ago & it is carried out using Magnetic reasoning ( I think ) .
The magnets used are very powerful & I could actually feel a strong pulling sensation , I thought they were sucking my brain out .lol

I am also doing a very slow taper from a tricyclic antidepressant, I have gone from 70mgs daily & I am stuck @ 55 mgs . My decision!.

After having the MRI , I had a bad headache for a couple of days & felt very jittery , anxious & confused .
My agoraphobia has returned & I just feel generally unwell .
Just wondering if the MRI has interfered with me in some way !.

As some of you know , it’s been over 5 yrs since I went cold turkey from 70 mgs of cymbalta . The worst decision of my life & saw me spending 4 months in hospital & reinstated on the antidepressant that I am currently withdrawing from . I have been left with a few long term s/es & have learned to live with them , it’s a roller coaster life .

I was going ok until I had the MRI , but feel like it has set me back quite a way .
Any information would be welcome.
My love to all you older members , you know who your all are ....🙏🏼💞💙

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:38 AM

Hi Wagtail

The most common side effect from an MRI is extreme nausea from the gadolinium contrast. I will see if I can find anything else.
  • Wagtail likes this

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:49 AM

I found these two research articles on Magnetic Resonance imaging (mri). I didn't see anything that concerned me in regards to your situation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4848040/
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28555348

I wonder if the being enclosed within the instrument set off your anxiety. Many people have that reaction.
  • Wagtail likes this

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:53 AM

Hello Wagtail,

So nice to see you. It's good to know that you were doing well before the MRI.

Fishinghat should find something out. I pray that you get back to your usual state.
Don't be a stranger Gail, with love. Gail
  • Wagtail likes this

#5 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:49 PM

I found these two research articles on Magnetic Resonance imaging (mri). I didn't see anything that concerned me in regards to your situation.https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4848040/https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28555348I wonder if the being enclosed within the instrument set off your anxiety. Many people have that reaction.

Thank you F/h , I can’t figure it out . It’s also disappointing & scary , I hate this feeling .
It’s even worse today , I’m @ my daughters to baby sit & the anxiety it very high . I was about to do another 5 mg cut to my antidepressant but I won’t until I feel better .
Thanks for your help ...xxx

#6 Hel

Hel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:36 PM

If your MRI was with contrast, look up gadolinium toxicity. There's some evidence that it can remain in your organs and be toxic.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:07 AM

I have read about that Hel and think it is probably a very underdiagnosed problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users