fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:52 AM

"Questions:

Would you think based on your knowledge that 2-3 days I should be good meaning if I'm good, I could continue to reduce?

Does it take 6 months to a year for people to get off because it takes that long to wean off the medicine? Or does because your system doesn't acclimate well even after the medicine is out of your system?"

2 or 3 days should be enough for those two supplements. They act fairly quickly.

As you wean off the body has to adapt to being without the medicine to control serotonin and norepinephrine. Studies have shown that it takes roughly 2 years for a nerve cell to completely adjust. Even after the 6 to 12 month period it is easy to have a relapse if you get too stressed or physically over do it.

#32 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:54 AM

That last post was great news. Like you say repeat and seeing the results repeat. Looking forward to your next post.

#33 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Sorry for my delayed response - nightmare 48 hours with my car which took a lot of my attention and efforts, but I see Hat has done a fine job!

Agreed that in most cases that the dose of Cymbalta should give relief from symptoms, but as you don't have those symptoms before you take it, I would argue this is all part of the withdrawal and it is the time of day that all your other chemicals have expected this "boost". If you weren't taking any at all, I would bet it would be a lot worse. But for now, I would chalk this up to for sure being withdrawal and nothing else. Do not worry about it any more and try to accept it. Even if symptoms are there, what with all the present stress, the dose you are on is unlikely to comfort.

If you move up a dose, the "yucky" wouldn't go straight away - it would still take 3-4 days to balance out - but Hat has said it exactly as I would... one change at a time. Now is a time to be working out what of the alternative pills are going to help you, and the respective dose. In order to work this out, you need what in research we call a constant and a variable. You can only vary one thing at a time to test the effects of that element. You start introducing other changes and you cannot tell which pill is causing which effect and you are wasting valuable time before your surgery.

Regarding the question of withdrawal length, this is very much a "how long is a piece of string" scenario. Length of administration, dose, circumstances, age, stress tolerance will all factor into this, so no-one can tell. We might have a better idea after 4 weeks or so, but even then there are too many variables (I like that word obviously!!). Might I suggest you read the post I put up a while ago - might be a little heavy, but it helps knowing what is going on;

Please keep us updated on your progress with the nootropics so we can continue to help, and for the benefit of others who will fall prey to such a situation. You had a good result and I am quietly confident.

We're all here for you.

IUN

#34 Tiredcymbaltamom

Tiredcymbaltamom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:22 PM

You all are so very kind and helpful.  Thank you.  IUN I will read the article you mentioned after this post.  Sorry it took so long to reply.  I'm waiting for my daughter to get dropped off after a retreat with our church.  They called us to pick her up early because the snow was coming in and it might get difficult getting up and back.  Apparently they are stuck  I couldn't really think to reply and now I thought I could reply instead of worry.  LOL  Worry. It's what mom's do best! :)

I'm on my second day with good results after using the above supplements with the lower cymbalta levels.  I still surprisingly not bad.  I keep waiting to explode or something, I guess.  At some point I have a small blip of nausea but it comes and goes literally in minutes  I will talk to doctor tomorrow about other pills and see how if this level of cymbalta is still doing good with the other supplements.  It's amazing what a difference they made.  

I'm off to ready the post IUN sent me.  And I looked and learned a new word, thank you IUN.  Never heard of nootropics.  Thank you.  Easier to search on one word !

Thank you again everyone!

#35 Tiredcymbaltamom

Tiredcymbaltamom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

I read the article and now i have questions relating to this statement and using the supplements to help with withdrawal:

serotonin HELPS TELL THE NERVES WHEN TO RELEASE GABA AND GLUTAMATE! Ha! 

So on top of needing GABA to make serotonin, you need serotonin to regulate the release of GABA into the system! "

Taking these supplements:

a: will I have to wean off them as well?  

b: do they help the healing process?

c: can the supplements help as the "building" is being done to diminish those withdrawal symptoms even months after the medicine is out of my system?

#36 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:35 AM

First of all serotonin levels do impact the release of GABA and glutamate but there are other factors as well. GABA is not part of the synthesis of serotonin. L-Tryptophan (an amino acid) is converted to 5htp which is then converted to serotonin. No GABA involvement.

a) Most members do not wean off the L-theanine and only taper off the L-tyrosine over about a week or two. The 5htp does require a slow withdrawal but at your dose that should be quite easy.

B) They do not help the healing process only help to treat the withdrawal symptoms. There is minimal evidence that Omega 3 and a few other supplements effect Brain-derived neurotrophic factor, also known as BDNF, which helps stimulate new nerve growth.

c) Absolutely. After you are completely off the Cymbalta the need for these supplements will fade with time (months, I am afraid).

#37 Tiredcymbaltamom

Tiredcymbaltamom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

Thank you, Fishinghat.  That is very helpful.  Today I went down a few more .00x ounces  Based on your information, I also did only have half of the chewable l-theanine today after I took the cymbalta, a 1/4 tsp powder of the l-tyrosine and little 5 htp.  I actually can't tell I've taken the cymbalta so far meaning I feel fairly normal. lol.   Last night I felt sick but after your post I wonder if I had too much of the l-theanine in fear of making sure I buffered the lesser amount of the  cymbalta.  I guess I don't mind months to wean off the supplements since they are powder and chewable ones that won't cause me much stress to do it.    Thank you so much for your help.  Between prayer and your input (everyone on this page as well), I think I can make it, hopefully by friday!   :rolleyes:

#38 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:26 PM

sounds really promising - keep us all updated with progress on all :)

#39 Tiredcymbaltamom

Tiredcymbaltamom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:31 AM

Well tomorrow is my surgery.  Note to those who use a jewelry weight to weigh the pills to determine how to reduce, weigh and full pill and then remove all beads into a bowl and weigh an empty pill.  THEN you will know what you are reducing.   :wacko: So, I actually reduced the beads faster than expected.  So for the last two days I have just learned to be dizzy and know this too shall pass.  When this all started I asked two of my doctors how to reduce.  The one who prescribed it and my rheumatologist.  The endocrinologist, who prescribed it, usually thinks outside the box.  He is the one who told me to reduce it, to empty the beads into a glass of water after my surgery.  My Rheumatologist told me that I couldn't take the beads out of the capsules.  She said you need to reduce by taking a pill one day, then skip one day, and then skip two days.  Also there is nothing to avoid the withdrawal symptoms.  So, that same day, I realized my .0070 ounces weighted, full, cymbalta pill, weighed .0017 ounces empty.  The day before I was down to .0024 or 25.  I can't remember.  I obviously reduced too fast, but now the bandaid was pulled off.  So today I finished a pill off at 5 beads.  It weighed .0021 ounces.  Tomorrow I'm going to skip for the surgery.  If I feel really bad saturday, when I get home that day, I will put 5 beads in applesauce or pudding.  I am actually settled to be ok with the dizziness and since resting is all I can do for at least the next week, maybe the dizziness won't be so frustrating.  Thank you again for you help everyone.  I will give an update next week.  I hope everyone had a good valentines day and a nice weekend.  Take care.   :D

#40 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:48 AM

Hi TCM.

First up I would like to wish you all the very best for your surgery. My thoughts will be with you, and we will all look forward to hearing how well it goes - only when you can! 

The dizziness is so common during early withdrawal, and yes, the best thing you can do is to just let it pass, knowing that it will indeed do so. I think you have done the right thing with the Cymbalta, and yes, a few beads in sauce if you really feel the need, but from then, it would be good to go with the alternative plans that we have previously discussed to help you get back to the straight and narrow.

For now, just do your best to think positive and look forward to the rest you will be forced to have next week!

Again, we'll all be thinking of you tomorrow - God Bless.

#41 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:04 AM

Hello TCM,

Looking good. Best wishes for your surgery, we will see you back shortly. Love, Gail

#42 Tiredcymbaltamom

Tiredcymbaltamom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

Hello all!   :)  I am done with surgery and the worst of the recovery part.  I didn't realize how much of my body would hurt.  I know I was so happy to get home to my soft bed the next day away from the hospital.  My body hurt even to touch which I'm thinking is more pronounced since I was off the cymbalta and maybe even a rebound effect.  The main symptom from the cymbalta withdrawal is the dizziness but even that is less in it's intensity.  When the surgery was over, I hurt so much, and not really in the area of where the laparoscopic incisions were, it was shoulders, back and it felt like my lungs were burning to breath.  I'm saying that because if I was having cymbalta withdrawals, I wouldn't even have noticed it.  LOL. So thank you so much for all your help and input and words of support.  

It was not on purpose to do, but if I had to withdraw from cymbalta again (uh no!), it's good to tack it on to something big like abdominal surgery.  You can't really tell which one is causing which problem.  And rest is the answer to it all.  In fact, I only really noticed the dizziness anytime I had to get up.   :blink:

Do you think that the cymbalta withdrawals are done?  I mean except for the waning dizziness?

Thank you!

TCM

#43 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:05 PM

Hi TCM, and great to hear the surgery went well!!

The dizziness is likely to be there and one of the best things is Omega 3 - this may have already been mentioned, and if the capsules are a no-go, then you can get just the oil and enjoy the lovely taste! There is some veggie stuff available, but the cost is crazy and for the amount you need to take to get the right amount of EPA/DHA... I think I worked out that a £30 bottle would cover 10 doses!!

I really wouldn't like to say if the withdrawals are "done". Of course I would like to, but whilst some can be fortunate in this regard, others find that symptoms rear their ugly head at protracted intervals. However, your timeline thus far looks good, but for now, rest up and try not to consider this at the moment! Get your strength back and look after yourself. We won't be going anywhere!

IUN

#44 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

Hello TCM,

Thank you so much for coming back to update. Good news on the surgery. Have you stopped all Cymbalta?

If so and are left with only dizziness, you are blessed. Time will tell if it's over, remember that some have only slight withdrawal which could be your case. Fingers crossed.

Do come back as often as you want, weirdly, I was thinking about you yesterday. Love.

#45 Tiredcymbaltamom

Tiredcymbaltamom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 12:39 AM

I need a little help again.  I have been off Cymbalta for 2 1/2 years.  The reason I went on it was fibromyalgia.  It has been an extremely difficult year this last year (not involving covid) and it was thought that I should try cymbalta again.  I went on it 6 days ago and then realized I can't go through that no matter what I'm feeling.  The cymbalta stuff is worse.  So now, Ive been on it 6 days.  I don't recall having bad symptoms on the cymbalta.  It actually helped me till I tried to get off of it.  The only thing I didn't like, and was glad to get off of it because of, was I couldn't cry.  I didn't have any tears,  no matter how sad.  I hated that.  So, do you think I can just stop after 6 days?  I'm afraid to take too long to wean off of it and let it get more ahold of me than I want.  I was so stupid to try it again.  When I got back onto this site, I remembered all the bad parts about this medicine.  The main issues I had was dizziness and sometimes crying big time for no reason.  Thankfully that subsided too.  What a switch from not being able to cry to crying for no reason.  Argh.  

I downloaded the ebook, but I don't see anywhere where it would mention such a short time.  I pretty much cold turkeyed it last time because of my surgery, so maybe I could do it again.  But I'm afraid to test it since it seems that once you jump off that bridge, there is no turning back, and you suffer with doing it too quick for a longer time.  

Any thoughts?  Besides words like dumb dumb.  :)

Thanks.

Sharon

#46 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:01 AM

Hi Sharon,

Good to see you here again - hope you are doing well despite the difficult circumstances.

Generally speaking it takes 7-10 days to start making neurological changes that will be (potentially) adversely affected by cold turkey, but this is very much a subjective thing. I took six days worth of sertraline, stopped cold turkey and had 3 days of the worst depression imaginable - but I was already in a dark place, so this will factor into it. 

I would say that given the fact that you haven't been on the meds for some time, the changes would take longer and thus you would probably be ok with limited issues from cold turkey. If you wanted to be on the safe side I would say halve the dose for three days and then stop. This would take any potential edge off, and it won't do any more damage because you are still taking it.

But cold turkey, at worst you might get some zaps, mild flue symptoms and a bit of edgyness. If you are in a place to take this on knowing that it will pass within 3-5 days, then just stop.

Hope that help.

IUN 

p.s. Thanks for mentioning the absence of information from the eBook. Hat and myself will take this on-board for the next update.

#47 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:32 AM

I agree with IUN in general but would recommend stoppimg cold turkey and if you get some serious symptoms you might consider taking one bead to regain some control.

#48 Tiredcymbaltamom

Tiredcymbaltamom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:12 AM

Thank you both!  I couldn't decide which way to go, so I did half a pill last night and I'm going cold turkey starting tonight.  I felt less dark today, even singing in the car.  Less tired. Thank you so much.  

#49 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:26 AM

Great - well done. A subtle tail-off is good. Let us know how you get on. 

Glad to hear that you are feeling better! May it long continue

IUN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users