#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

I am wanting to find some 100 mg tablets/capsules of suntheanine without caffeine but mostly it doesn't give the caffeine content or has added caffeine. Do any of you know a good caffeine free suntheanine?

#2 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:14 AM

This is what I am taking - does not report any caffiene - but is 200mg;

https://www.amazon.c...untheanine&th=1

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for your input IUN.

I found some research that shows 8 brands of L-theanine all contained caffeine so I was trying to be careful. I think most suntheanine is synthesized (I may be wrong) but if so it would not contain caffeine.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:53 AM

Ah Ha...

I found this ..
"Suntheanine is the trade name for Taiyo’s patented pure form of L-theanine. Suntheanine is not an extract of green tea but rather is produced via a patented process that mimics the natural process in green tea leaves, resulting in a 100% pure L-isomer-theanine."

As a synthesized product it should not be contaminated with caffeine.

#5 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 February 2019 - 01:49 PM

I should have remembered that and put the two together having read it somewhere. Are you sure that isn't on the forum somewhere?

I can understand you not wanting the caffeine. Among other factors, it clearly doesn't bode well with anxiety.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

If it is on the forum I don't remember seeing it but it is now for sure!! lol

#7 TiredMummy

TiredMummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:19 PM

Hi guys

I have so appreciated the advice that FishingHat have me last year after I tried to taper too fast. I went back to 20mg as per your advice and stabilised and have been bead counting since the start of the year, coming down 2 beads every 2-4 days. I'm down to 42 beads out (about third of the way) and doing ok but having similar side effects to before (fatigue, severe irritability, flu like feelings, anxiety) but they are bearable.

I've been reading so much in this site and can't thank you all enough. You really are all amazing to spend so much time sharing information to support others and guide them through this often scary process. What an incredible wealth of knowledge and information shared by this community.

I've tried to find this info among the posts but I'm still not clear so can I ask a bit more about Suntheanine?

I'm trying to figure out which supplements might be best to help the process, bearing in mind the advice to introduce them separately to understand which work and effects of each.

- IUN - I've just bought the supplements above from Amazon that you recommended and had my first one last night. Seemed to help with getting to sleep but I had read on one older post that some people found it has a cumulative effect of taken daily and increased fatigue/tiredness.
Do you take yours daily?

FH- how often and at what dose have you found it to be helpful? And is it in anyway hard to come off after regular use?

Currently taking
Vitamin D supplements
Omega 3 supplements (high dose)
Suntheanine (only taken the one dose so far)

Hoping to start
Lutein (for dry eyes and blurred vision)
Sunflower Lethicin 1200mg

Only regular meds that I take are the Duloextine. But to add an interesting twist, I have Crohns and had my whole large bowel removed 10 years ago so my body not that great at digesting/absorbing things. Thankfully Crohns now in remission and currently not requiring treatment.

Thanks for any thoughts on suntheanine dose or any other supplements you'd recommend.

All the very best,
TM

#8 TiredMummy

TiredMummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:29 PM

Sorry- I also meant to ask, does the Suntheanine help with overall withdrawal symptoms/experience or just as needed for the anxiety?

I'm not sure whether to take regularly or as needed.

I hope this makes sense. My brain definitely doesn't work like it once did, pre-Duloxetine! Someone seems to have scrambled it...

#9 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:38 PM

Hi TM, and thanks for your kind words.

Suntheanine can indeed make you drowsy/sleepy. But if you take yours at night, and with it having a half-life of around 8 hours, it shouldn't impede much on your waking life. It is possible that the compounding of them every day might, but this is something that only time will tell. Two weeks is sufficient to tell whether or not they are working on a daily basis. Some use theanine on an as-needed basis, but I am of the school of thought that it is much easier to prevent a fire than to put a fire out. Confidence is very important to my progress.

I take mine in the morning along with my Lexapro, and they do initially make me feel more drowsy, but as I have recently had a very stressful event and dropped 15 to 10mg on Lexapro at the exact same time, it is difficult to say what is causing what!

My best advice would be to trial it daily for 2 weeks, keep notes, and compare at the end to see whether there is benefit. If not, you have the option of increasing the dose to twice a day - then another 2 weeks for results. 

I would also suggest you only try one supplement at a time. Starting more than one at a time will cause confusion as to what it working and what isn't. It is a harsh game of patience and time when all you want to do is feel better. Believe me, I am there every day. It sucks. Just keep telling yourself that you are doing what is best for you.

#10 TiredMummy

TiredMummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

Thanks so much, IUN. I really appreciate your advice. Been reading your journey and you have been so patient and courageous.

Will do as you suggest and try in evening for 2 weeks and keep notes alongside my bead reduction journal. Just didn't want to increase risk of further fatigue.... Esp with a very active 3 year old on the go!

Take care,
TM

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:46 PM

I fully agree with IUN on the Suntheanine.

I assume you have had your vitamin D levels checked and that is why you are taking it. If so just follow the drs dosing advice. If you haven't had your blood levels checked then you should not be taking vitamin D as you can build up toxic amounts over time.

The omega 3 should be around 2000 to 3000 mg/day and should contain high amounts of epa and dha. The ala form does not help in withdrawal. Usually people take it 2 to 3 times a day (1000 mg per dose).

You might also consider either vitamin C or N-acetylcysteine as they are both excellent antioxidants.

Start with those and if needed we can recommend some others if these don't work out.

#12 TiredMummy

TiredMummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:05 AM

Hi FH

Thanks so much. Yes, my vit D levels were v low a year ago and I was put on supplements but on NHS in UK they say that I can only get my vit D blood levels checked every year even if deficient because it takes a long time to build them up again. The omega 3 fits your advice.

Very reassured by both you and IUN on taking suntheanine regularly. And will add the vitamin C.

Take care and thanks to you both. I think you are both an inspiration to others going through this process and your efforts and kindness in helping others in this means so much. I hope on the tough days you will know that.

#13 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for your kind words TM - please keep us posted here. Tough day this end, so trying that positive stuff :)

#14 TiredMummy

TiredMummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:03 AM

Thinking of you, IUN. Sending positive vibes and hoping you can hang on there and know how much people have appreciated your help, support and encouragement especially when you are having such a tough time yourself. Hope today a tiny bit easier xx

#15 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 23 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

Bless you TM - thank you

#16 TiredMummy

TiredMummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

Woohoo! It's making such a difference. Genuinely. Irritation and anger now almost gone since starting the Suntheanine. Have now started vitamin C as of today.

I feel almost human... Which can't be right if I'm still reducing, right?! ;)

I can't thank you guys enough.

IUN- hope things a bit better for you at the moment.

Take care and bless you both x

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:52 PM

I am so glad you feel better. Don't get too overconfident at this point and overdo things or drop too fast. Just a nice steady slow pace.

#18 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:24 PM

Absolutely - another win for Suntheanine.

Maybe we should be buying shares?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users