• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

My dr put me on cymbalta,30mb for fibro, then after a month upped the dose to 60 which I guess is pretty common. After being on it for a couple months I didn't notice ANY change for the fibro and took steps to get off...getting off way to soon, I started having weird smells and the brain zaps, trouble sleeping, irritability...So, I got back on it at the 30mb for a week, then she said to dump half out for a week (or two) so I only did the week. Today is Friday. My last dose was Monday night. Yesterday I started having the weird smells again and then this morning noticed the brain zaps. I also have had terrible nightmares and trouble getting to sleep.

How do I get off this stuff??? Do I muscle through the brain zaps till they stop? How long does that take? I'm really irritated and want off this poison!

Thanks for any help,

Doreen

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

Hello and welcome Doreen,

Reinstate to 30 to get relief. When you are stable, you bead count your way down.

Or you tough it up, you can expect lots of side effects. As we can see when you dropped to zero, that is what we call cold turkey.

Think about it, whichever way, we will be with you! Others will chime in shortly.

#3 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

Welcome Doreen!

I went cold turkey a little over 5 yrs ago and DO NOT recommend it.  I went through a yr of withdrawal hell.

I wish I had known about the bead counting but found this website when it was too late.  I also have fibro and was prescribed the poison drug for depression after I lost my daughter 10 yrs ago.  (I certainly didn't notice any change in the fibro)

Obviously I can't give you any pointers on the bead counting, but others can and they will be along shortly.

We are all here for you and please feel free to post any time :)

Liz

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:17 PM

The girls are right. Reinstated and use bead counting. Your capsules contain little beads inside. You open a capsule and take out 1 or 2 beads more each day. Count the number of beads inside your capsules and we can set up a weaning schedule for you. It usually takes 6 to 9 months to wean with some sensitive members taking 1 to 2 years.

#5 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

Welcome to the family Doreen...

So, "I'm really irritated and want off this poison!"

This is what you need to push from your mind! Off... does not happen so quick. I was on the poison for 12 weeks and look longer than that coming off, but I was the same and just wanted rid of it. Please don't. Be patient as everyone has said.

I agree with Gail in that you should go back to your 30mg as it was only a few days ago, and hang there until you feel you can breathe again. Might take a week... might take two. Bu wait for that. Move forward only when you have a benchmark to work from. If you drop when you are feeling poo, it will only get worse.

Then as Hat said, 1 or 2 beads a day sounds a good starting point and see how you fair, but for now.. accept that in order to not loose it during your withdrawal, it will need a few more days than what you might have had in mind!!

IUN

#6 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:02 AM

thank you all...my dr is prescribing me the 20mg since i've been on "half" of the 30 for a week. I did take a half again the evening after I made this post and felt better the next day. by my next dose on Saturday I was having the brain zaps again. I counted in the 30mg (180 little beads in the capsules) and counted out 90 for Saturday and Sunday dose. The 20mg caps won't be ready till Monday. I'm so amazed at this drug. I've managed a lot of weird stuff in my life but the brain zaps are the worst!

#7 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:36 AM

Omega 3 helps with the brain zaps in a lot of cases - just make sure you are taking sufficient for a combined DHA/EPA of between 2000-3000mg. I know this sounds a lot, but anything less won't get close.

Please keep us posted on how you get on with the 20mg. If it has been a week on "half" then you will of course find relief on 20mg, just hope it will be sufficient for you. 

#8 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:18 AM

So...I've been doing ok on the half of the thirty for the most part, the smell is gone and the brain zaps are gone, although they are right on the edge. I'm itchy all over and can't sleep although am very relaxed but can't fully get to the other side to sleep. Now, please tell me more about this bead counting. Currently, I'm at 90...what do I do with the "loose" beads and how do you count them? I pour them in a bowl and try to keep them from bouncing everywhere...

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

Hi Doreen,

Before bead counting, you will need to stabilize on the 20 mg for a while. No hurry, take the time to relax on the 20 mg.

In the meantime you will need to order capsules for your beads, make sure they are enteric coated.

Just a ideA how it works, day 1 you remove 2 beads, day 2, you remove 4 beads then 6/8/10.

Kathy had a great idea to count the beads. You take a black shirt and make rows of 10 and so on. Easy!!!!well much easier this way. On that, have a good day.

PS just make sure that you are stable on 20 mg, if not, you go up to 30 and wait again. Love

#10 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:54 AM

Hi Gail, so...if I'm on 90 beads which is what i'm on right now and if I get an 90 day supply that should get me off them? and if I get a 90 day supply, then I probably shouldn't need to get capsules right? 

I'm shot right now with not much sleep so just checking...

Hi Doreen,

Before bead counting, you will need to stabilize on the 20 mg for a while. No hurry, take the time to relax on the 20 mg.

In the meantime you will need to order capsules for your beads, make sure they are enteric coated.

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

Your logic is sound but unluckily there will be times it is necessary to stay at a certain dosage until you are stable. Also, once you get down to around 10 mg it will be necessary to slow down a lot. Those last few mg can be really hard to deal with. Some people find they can only drop 1 bead a week. This is a marathon not a sprint. Time and patience is absolutely the key. I can absolutely see you taking another 8 months to wean off BUT maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.

#12 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:04 AM

Thank you Fishinghat for the explanation.
My English doesn't go that far, anyway, thank you!

#13 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:58 AM

At least when it get towards the end, the counting gets easier!! :)

#14 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:36 PM

wow...cymbalta has quite a racket eh? I'll get the capsules ordered on payday. thanks so much!

#15 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

Hi All...

I have been decreasing my beads pretty steadily...started at 60 beads...Tuesdays are my days to refill my med box, so when I got to 60 beads, I decreased by ten, then five each night till I was at 25. No brain zaps, nothing horrible that I couldn't handle.

This week, went from 25 to 15 to 10 to 5 and stayed at 5 and it's Sunday. I started having brain zaps on Friday. Was planning on stopping on Tuesday but am having horrible things going on: Major brain zaps, can't concentrate, emotional rollercoaster, body aches, dizziness. I woke up today (easter sunday) and my hands are tingly and not in a good way...burning tingles) I'm short of breath and lethargic. I'm sure there are more, digestive issues, can't think clear...

I'm so close...do I cave or continue with my plan? How long will this nastiness last? Can I muscle through it? I'm determined but dang!!

#16 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:24 AM

another very annoying symptom is coughing, hacking and almost throwing up from coughing...also things smell bad, nothing smells good

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

I would recommend going back to 25 beads and stabilize. These last few beads are murder. These symptoms can last for 6 to 8 months easily before you start getting a good day every now and then. For some individuals it takes 1 to 2 years to stabile after stopping. Don't underestimate this. Time and patience.

#18 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

Absolutely agree. 

Get right back on those 25 and please wait for a few days to make sure the symptoms clear. And then - and only then - go a bead per day. It's only three weeks, not even a month. Hat is right, go too quick and you will pay the price when you reach the end.

Keep us updated.

#19 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:41 AM

thank you...yesterday was hell for sure, but then it did seem to level off towards the end of the day, then it was time to take my meds. i take once a day in the late evening (around 8pm EST) I woke up with the usual nagging bit of a headache, my hands still burn/pain but no brain zaps...yet. Still go up to 25 beads? I hate this stuff but so do you folks I'm sure.

#20 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:26 PM

It is up to you Doreen. I would kust hate to see you suffer too much at once. If the symptoms are tolerable then I would hang in there but if they become overwhelming don't wait. You can try 10 beads first and if that is not enough you can work up from there.

#21 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:00 PM

My thoughts exactly. You need to weigh up the cost against the prize. All too often we can get ahead of ourselves and just want the job done. I've seen people cold turkey four times before they got the message however - so dropping a few beads at this point you have done well to hold out to temptation.

Listen to your body and do what it needs. Don't feel bad either way you approach it, that will not help!

#22 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

thank you...last night was my last dose of 5 beads. I will keep an eye on me lol...I have noticed some bruising on my arm and am itchy and will be slow with expectations of me...I'll check in often.

#23 KathyInFL

KathyInFL

Like a Family Member

• Site Supporter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:18 AM

doreen, good luck and keep posting here. This is the best Cymbalta Withdrawal site on the web! Gail, Hat, IUN and all others have so much good to say!

:hug:

#24 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:42 AM

Dawwww - thanks Kath :)

#25 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:41 AM

Hi All...thought I'd do a quick check in. I've been off completely since Monday (today is Saturday). Here are some things I've noticed:

Morning brain zaps (but not too bad thankfully)

Morning confusion

Shortness of breath

Itchy skin

Tramadol 100mgs (I take for my back pain) this also helps with the brain zaps and confusion

I'm sleeping MUCH better, no scary dreams, no waking up, sleeping and feeling restful

Still somewhat cranky and ears are ringing pretty loud but over all...am doing ok :)

Hugs to all...will check in next week.

#26 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

You are doing great Doreen. Hang in there.

#27 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

All textbook - they will fade - keep going!

#28 doreen1063

doreen1063

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

Today (Monday) have had some painful brain zaps...almost like a "brain freeze" but hurts terrible and they keep coming. I can't sleep when i take the tramadol after 4pm so i don't take it late, however, I woke up and took some at 4am this morning and then another dose around noon. had some pretty good dizzy spells today and then these painful zaps started later this afternoon. Not sure what I should take or not take or if they will just go away or lessen in pain...I'm sure it's still the withdrawl but not sure what else to do. I am sweaty, hot flashes...mad! I just want normal again...is there a normal?

#29 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:41 PM

Painful zaps? In what way painful?

Sweat, hot flashes and dizzy are all still hallmarks - and "normal" as far as withdrawal goes! They will go, but the time they linger for is often beyond belief and when thought this way, days go by like months!

Did you get some Omega 3 oil? This should be helping - if you didn't I would strongly suggest getting some asap. 

#30 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:01 AM

Hello Doreen,

For brain zaps, Tylenol cold and flu usually do the job.

Dropping from 25 beads to 0 in a week or so is quite a big step. If I understood correctly.

If things get way too rough, you know that you can reinstate to 15 beads or so.

You are lucky that your symptoms are no worse. Looking forward to your next update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users