#1 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In The Stratosphere
  • why_joining:
    Additional support outside my atmosphere.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:20 PM

Hello All,

I know it has been some time since last visit here. This site came up last night in a discussion with my husband. We were discussing my ever constant battle with depression.

This year has been extremely hard on me for one reason or the other. While good things have happened, I have had an extreme battle. My depression seems to be getting worse.

With my 3 year Sinbalta free anniversary approaching on 4/1; I find myself wondering if I need to be back on medication. My horrific history with this horrible drug makes me sceptical. A good many of you are aware of my struggles. I broke free of this horrible creature, the was trapped by Paul. I broke free of it and have been depressant free since.

My history with failed depressants makes me not want to try anymore. I know there is the right one out there for me, but my fear of addiction keeps me from trying.

My husband has convinced me to ask my Primary about it at my next visit. I would however like my second family's opinion. Please help me.

Raven

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:16 AM

Hi Raven

It is good to hear from you I just wish it was in better circumstances. Chronic depression can be so hard to treat. I really had a magic bullet for you but I don't. In the Summary of Cymbalta (Medical Support section) there are a number of alternate approaches that you can consider. You might want to review then and see if you can pick out anything worth trying.

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:51 AM

Oh Raven,

I'm so happy to see you even though the circumstances are a bit low.

I understand that you are fed up trying meds just as much as you are fed up by depression.

You cannot give up on trying Raven, it won't leave by itself. And the kids and the husband and the job, it's a lot on your shoulders.

I'm all for trying another antidepressant. One with a long half life. Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro.

Quality of life???? Oh again, I'm thrilled to see you Raven. Please come back. You will meet IUN, a great man, you will like him a lot.

Keep us posted Raven, love you. Gail xxx

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:28 AM

Awww - thank you for the lovely introduction Gailage. So sweet.

Hmmm - unfortunate circumstances to meet for the first time - but regardless, being a fellow sufferer of depression, my instinct is of course to help where I can. I do not know your history, but it sure sounds like you have had a lot on your plate to deal with of late. Once it abates, we have to be extra vigilant with depression - it is a sneaky bastard (if you don't mind me saying). It is no respecter of time or situation. It can just pop up when it wants - but look inside, there IS a reason. 

My first question is whether you have recently engaged with any talking therapy, or EMDR or similar? Sounds to me, given the way you speak of the past, the Cymbalta and so forth, that you are one that easily holds onto things. Obviously it comes with the "mental health territory", but there are ways, means and methods that a good therapist can help you with. Don't just settle for the first one either. It took me until the fourth to find the right chick for me - and she was awesome. Had me pegged within minutes. 

Meds might be the way forward, and as Gail said, from the perspective of quality of life, do not dismiss them, but don't let them be your go-to response until you have considered all other angles. So if you want help with that, just bring it up here and we can see where you re headed...

Finally, I also get some (possibly) pagan vibes from previous post - a very close path to christianity and spiritualism. I have a very spiritual past which includes a lot of pagan teaching, and some lovely people. Shame that it can get tainted with the bad apples that promote the bad side - usually teenagers!!

God Bless... and Blessed Be

IUN

#5 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

Hi Raven!
So good to hear from you again but wish it were under better circumstances.

I have now been off the crap for over 5 years but I must say it has left me some unpleasant things.

IUN gave you some good stuff there.. and I don't think I can add to that.

If you are not in therapy of some type please go as I'm sure it will help you.

With your permission I would like to add you to our list at Grace with Gail.

Bless you my friend,
Liz

#6 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

Thank you all for your kind words and it is good to see you all. I too wish it was under better cirumatances.

IUN: So, wonderful to meet you. I have tried therapy more than once. Hasn't seemed to be my cup of tea as it were. I felt as though they were trying to get me to blame others for my problems and misgicings.

Mine is very harsh past that includes but is not limited to:

**Depression
**Anxiety
**Abuse(of several varieties)

My husband and I have been struggling to save our marriage for years. We almost lost everything when I went to the wrong people for help. These people (DM for more info) in all seriousness should have helped. However, they did all they could to tear us apart and almost did. Once we found out we were being played against one another it got better.

As for pagan/religious vibes go, I became a Christian on June 5th od 2018. This was a a turning point in my journey. I have slowly come to learn that God has no problems with using medications for help. It is man that sometimes create their issues with meds.

Thanks for all the love.

Blessed Be,
Raven

PS: I adore to Wiccsn culture and it hurts me to see it criticized.

#7 juli

juli

Good Friend

• Site Supporter
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:19 PM

Hi Raven,

Sorry you are going through a rough time.  Just curious if u have tried a mood stabilizer.  I use oxcarbzapine and it has really helped me.  Just a thought.

Juli

#8 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

Hi Julie,

I have tried Abilify if that counts. It made me worse. My unfortunate luck runs that I fall into that 1% of people that certain side effects ever happen to.

#9 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

My unfortunate luck runs that I fall into that 1% of people that certain side effects ever happen to.

My soul mate :D :D :D

#10 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

I knew I had one out there somewhere😁

#11 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Juli for the suggestion about a mood stabilizer. Seeing the doctor on Tuesday, and if we have this in Canada, I will give it a try.

#12 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:44 AM

I will do my research and talk to my doc next visit. I never researched medicine until Sinbalta came along.

#13 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:37 PM

I am having no luck. Could Mr. Hat help me please?

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

How can I help Raven? Are you looking for treatments for depression?

What are your chief symptoms and what have you tried in the past? What are you takin g now? List everything if you don't mind. After 3 years this would not be related to Cymbalta withdrawal and indicates that you really need to get on something more effective.

#15 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:25 AM

Here for you Raven... there will be something for you. Seems like you were next in line after quite a few members hit the proverbial wall!!

#16 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:34 AM

Reading and following you Raven. Something will come up. I understand that after the Cymbalta trauma that you are afraid.

But, I think that it is needed to go on something. Love.

#17 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:16 PM

Thanks to you all. I never really thought I would need to be on something again.

Fishinghat,

Not sure if I can remember all I have been on for depression. I have been in depression, anxiety & ADHD medications. So, I will list what I can remember on depression meds.

*Lexapro
*Abilify
*Effexor
*Paxil
*Trintellix
*Viibryd
*Wellbutrin
*Buspar

There could be some I am forgetting.

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:55 AM

Thanks Raven. I will be back later this AM.

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:22 AM

Did any of these have a positive effect on your depression?

#20 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

I have a rough work up for you. I will polish it later in the afternoon and post it for you.

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

The information I will supply you will vary from supplements to prescription meds to lab tests. There is no particular order to these items.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAC - N-acetylcysteine - Strong antioxidant.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/18534556
NAC appears a safe and effective augmentation strategy for depressive symptoms in bipolar disorder. 8 weeks for full effect.
1 gram twice daily

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3482580/
1 gram twice daily. Improvement in significant improvement in 8 week which lasted through entire 24 week test.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25004186
the study provides only limited support for the role of NAC as a novel adjunctive therapy for Major Depressive Disorder.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21719110
These open label data demonstrate a robust decrement in depression scores with NAC treatment. Depression scores dropped on average 40%.. 8 week test at 1000 mg twice a day.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27179791
Furthermore, NAC was able to rescue changes in key glutamate receptor proteins related to excitotoxicity in HD, including NMDAR2B. Thus, we have shown that baseline reductions in cysteine underlie glutamatergic dysfunction and depressive-like behavior in HD and these changes can be rescued by treatment with NAC. These findings have implications for the development of new therapeutic approaches for depressive disorders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#22 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:31 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lion's Mane Mushroom

https://www.cabdirec...act/20103302738
Our results show that H. erinaceum intake has the possibility to reduce depression and anxiety. Erinacines and hericenons reduce anxiety as well as depression. For an accurate understanding of the overall mechanism of H. erinaceus diterpenoids action it requires additional clinical studies with physiological markers, such as hormones, or more profounded studies of autonomic nervous activity

https://www.thefreel...on.-a0430893147
Summary of the antianxiety/antidepressive effects of components of H. erinaceus.

Typical dosage - 300 mg 3 times daily.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#23 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:33 PM

Did any of these have a positive effect on your depression?

Lexapro was the first one I ever took. It worked so far as I knew. This was back in 2002/2003 rigjt before I met my husband. After I met him and some time into our relationship (a few months); I realized I had not renewed my prescription. I had no idea I had run out. I was so happy and figured with him in my life I didn't need it.

The others either worked to start with and/or made me worse ad time went on.

Are your suggestions given as prescriptions or herbal over the counter?

#24 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:42 AM

Both Hat mentions here are available off prescription - Amazon would be a good place to find. Hat did a lot of research to find the right stuff - particularly the Lion's Mane Mushroom, so I'd suggest asking him for the link if you decide to go this route. 

NAC is termed as a medication, but is an antioxidant. Lion's Mane is purely natural and classed as a herb. Both have very minimal side effects - if any. Neither have any withdrawal effects, the likes of which to be concerned about.

#25 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

Raven,

May I put my two cents worth? I would think that the two suggestions made by our man would work good on a slight depression.

But who knows? You may try them and after two months if you see no improvement, then I would opt for Lexapro, since it worked many years back.

PS five years back, I tried them all except for the lion one. No luck, but then, even antidepressants don't work on me. My list is a bit longer than yours! Waiting for results from Rexulti, sixth day, seemed to work in the first days. Doubling the dose tomorrow. Will update.

Prayers for you my love!

#26 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

The NAC has had moderate success against significant depression and is worth a shot.

The lion's Mane would help minimal for a few weeks before it pooped out.

I don't know how desperate you are. If you need immediate relief then I would say Yes to the Lexapro. I will still post the rest of my suggestions as some may provide short term relief if things flare up. For example if while on Lexapro you had a event that sent you into significant depression you could use the Lion's Mane to bring some relief until the event passed.

Do you want me to post links to each of these products in case you want to try them?

#27 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

I just posted this also on IUN's thread.

I just did a review of 7 papers that compared the effectiveness of antidepressants. Lexapro, Remeron and Zoloft, in that order were considered the most effective. Celexa ran around number 6 on the list.

#28 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:51 PM

Yes, Mr. Hat, please post the links. I believe I will ask for Lexapro when I see my Primary in May.

I think a good bit of it is feeling lack of recognition at home. At work at least In get treatment, whether it's people giving me the "Why is she even here" looks or my sister in Christ just smiling at me. At least I am recognized and noticed.

At Home, my husband depends on me and he sees me. He tells me he loves me everyday. He says Thank you for the help I give him with the things he can't do in his own since surgery. The kids acknowledge me but it mostly feels like only when they need something.

I don't feel as though they respect me as much as they do my husband. I have laid down the law. I have shown boundless grace. Sometimes I feel they all see me but they don't "see" me.

If I had one wish it would be to sit on a park bench for 1 hour, crying into my Heavenly Father's arms. Just cry for one hour straight. Then he would lift my head, wipe my tears and a tell me "My child, all will be fine." I am in so much emotional pain right now. I am crying as I type this.

Does this make any sense?

Be Blessed,
Raven

#29 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:18 AM

Raven... this makes perfect sense. You are emotionally exhausted with everything that has been going on. Things become confusing leaving you very disorientated and not knowing which way to turn. I read the last part of your post there about the park bench and I started to well up and said to myself "yes, yes, I want that too". 

Those that have never seen what we have can only sit on the sidelines and it can be such a difficult time. Having someone who can just listen and understand to relieve you of this pain is what you crave, and that is what we turn to God for. 

#30 Raven72

Raven72

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:22 AM

Thanks IUN - I have felt like I was in a fog since yesterday. This morning is no better. I am almost too tired to even care. Too tired to even get mad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users