3 replies to this topic

#1 chinton620

chinton620

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:49 AM

Hey all,

As we talked about in a different thread, I have adhd that we are working to control while tapering the cym. My dr mentioned Strattera to me and I was looking for any info you guys could lend. From my understanding Strattera is an snri the same as cym and I am wondering if anyone knows what the difference is here? I've done my googling and can't seem to find a ton of info on Strattera, other than the basics. If it is an snri wouldn't it essentially function the same as the cym we all hate; nasty side effects, terrible withdrawal, doesnt always do it's job, etc.

Thanks for any and all info!

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

Glad the website is back up and running. Maybe now I will be able to answer your question.

Strattera is a NRI and is believed to work by increasing norepinephrine and dopamine levels in the brain. While reviewing the literature I did notice that Strattera has some attraction to the dopamine transporter in some areas of the brain and not in others. However if you look at the specific data on attraction to dopamine transporters Cymbalta actually has a slightly greater attraction than Strattera but both are actually relatively low. While researchers take the position that Strattera increases dopamine concentrations in the brain the actual research numbers are not clear that this is the case. It is only 100th as effective as Cymbalta on controlling serotonin.

Cymbalta is an SNRI and while in initially increases serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain after 3 months those levels drop to below normal concentrations. It has little effect on dopamine.

#3 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:52 PM

Useful info Hat.

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

Chinton

https://www.drugs.co.../strattera.html

A number on BB warnings and contraindications which seem a little contradictory given its purpose, e.g. hyperactivity. 

Worth a read if you haven't already. Not the most favourable reviews for the condition in hand either...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users