3 replies to this topic

#1 k2mike3344

k2mike3344

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:30 PM

Hi there,

I am currently taking 30mg of cymbalta for nerve pain and axiety due to this pain.  I have 2 herniated discs in my neck.  I have had a few treatments over the last year and I feel the need to wean off of the meds.  My doctor has me taking 30 then 20mg every other day.  Yesterday, we decided to start using prozac.  he said when i start taking 20mg prozac, I should cease the cymbalta due to the low dosage.  I wanted to see if this was a good method.  I am having minor withdrawals from the current 30/20 method such as irritability and brain fog.  

Thanks!

Mike

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:41 PM

Welcome Mike.

The every other day thing is not recommended by the FDA as Cymbalta has only a 12 hour half-life. SO you are raising your blood levels and then dropping your blood levels over and over. This causes a repeat of the withdrawal.

As far as switching to Prozac this approach is fairly normal. It takes Prozac up to 8 weeks to fully kick in so you might experience some withdrawal effects while you wait for it to kick in.

#3 k2mike3344

k2mike3344

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

Thank you!  To further clarify, I am taking 30mg on Monday, the 20mg on Tuesday, then 30mg Wed...etc right now for cymbalta, so I am not skipping a day, just alternating meds.  My last day of cymbalta is wed night, followed by Prozac 20mg on thursday morning.  

I am hoping this will work:)

Thanks,

Mike

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:27 PM

Hi Mike - and a welcome from me...

Hat understood what you meant as noted in your above reply, and as he rightly said, this is not a recommended withdrawal. 30mg of Cymbalta is not a great deal, but the withdrawals effect people in different ways. 20mg of Prozac is more or less the equivalent, but I wouldn't have advised a direct switch. Your doctor is doing this to follow protocol of how to switch between AD's of 2 different classes (SSRI and SNRI), whereby you stop one - ideally a washout period - then start the new, but at low doses, it is far better to cross knowing that risks are very minimal. 

I would at least consider a little longer to go to 20mg Cym, then 15mg and start on 10mg Prozac, and then just 20mg Prozac. This will ease a lot of the potential symptoms incurred by a direct switch. 

That said, as it is a low dose, you may be fine. Either way, we are here to support you. If we can be of any help, just shout.

IUN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users