4 replies to this topic

#1 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:34 PM

I didn't know where to put this question, and this forum is the only place I can be anonymous and admit the dark stuff about my mental health. So I hope it's okay I'm asking this question. 

Do you think a psychiatrist will trust you anymore after you make a suicide attempt and then hide it from them for years? I'm finally ready to face the truth and tell my doctor, but I'm scared.

#2 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

If said psychiatrist is any sort of professional, then yes. 

If you were not comfortable in divulging that information until this point, then that is at your discretion. Irrespective of how pertinent the psy feels the information was to your recovery, in his or her eyes, you have only done yourself out of a potential quicker recovery that may have resulted from your speaking of the incident earlier. 

What you are doing is very brave, and if the psy has any level of empathy, then your bravery will be upheld. They are trained to deal with this sort of thing. My advice would be to come out with it and let the chips fall where they may. I think you will be relieved by the outcome. 

Either way - you are again doing something very commendable. In anticipation for your choice... well done Kmrekl.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:45 AM

I agree with IUN. If he/she is a professional then it shouldn't matter. I would recommend telling your dr but the decision is up to you and how you think the dr would handle it. Either way, considering dealing with the issue is a definite positive.

#4 kmrekl217

kmrekl217

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

If said psychiatrist is any sort of professional, then yes. 

If you were not comfortable in divulging that information until this point, then that is at your discretion. Irrespective of how pertinent the psy feels the information was to your recovery, in his or her eyes, you have only done yourself out of a potential quicker recovery that may have resulted from your speaking of the incident earlier. 

What you are doing is very brave, and if the psy has any level of empathy, then your bravery will be upheld. They are trained to deal with this sort of thing. My advice would be to come out with it and let the chips fall where they may. I think you will be relieved by the outcome. 

Either way - you are again doing something very commendable. In anticipation for your choice... well done Kmrekl.

I feel like I betrayed my doctor's trust by using the sleeping pills he prescribed for my insomnia. But I think it's time to come clean and clear my conscience.

#5 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,216 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

You won't have been the first... try not to worry. Easier said than done I know...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users