75 replies to this topic

#1 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:48 PM

Hey guys, I am new to this site and should have joined earlier, but I was waiting eagerly for things to pass. As they have not quite passed (but yes I would say improved) I am in need of comfort or solace that I am not going to be like this forever and if any one has experienced the same things, PLEASE let me know and get in touch with me. 

I am withdrawing from Cymbalta after being one for 1.5 months (had to quit as extreme panic and parathesia while on it) and I am down to 5 beads a day and have been n 5 beads a day for 4 weeks. I was on Cymbalta for 2 months prior to this (beginning of this summer). The withdrawal symptoms I am experiencing include ALL of the following:

Peripheral neuropathy

Tearfullness (cry at EVERY thing)

Anxiety / Panic Attacks

Flushing everywhere

Temperature sensitivity

Insomnia / Sleep starts (my body jerks awake before I fall asleep - thus not falling asleep)

Itchiness

Fatigue

Nausea

Headache

And the WORST is the PRICKLING, BURNING, HOT TINGLING feeling. Am I hypervigilent and maybe notice this more than some people? Absolutely. But I know this is temporary but it feels like such a long haul especially that I had similar effects when I was ON Cymbalta, hence making this feel like a lifetime.

I asked my doctor to prescribe me 1 tablet of Prozac as I heard this works well for a "final flush" for withdrawal symptoms. Can anyone relate to this?

Please need some answers. Thanks...

#2 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

Hi there DThiessen and welcome.

If we had a buck/quid/euro for everyone that came here and started off by saying they hope they won't be like this forever... well, we'd we well off! This is a scary place to be with this drug and we understand as you are one of the not so fortunate ones. So first up, know that you are by far not alone in what you are going through, and I can tell you, from looking at that list, that you will find instances of every one on the site. Also, if you haven't done already, I would suggest you download our eBook as it will give you lots of information to help you with your withdrawal.

So 6 weeks on the stuff.. at what dose? Then 4 weeks weaning as far as 5 beads, and then 4 weeks on the 5 beads?

If this is the case, then I would say you have gone too quick with your taper. Even people who do not react to the meds in the way you did have severe withdrawals like this, so the fact that it disagreed with you should have been your warning shot. Ideally you would have taken around 4 months to come off - yes - even after 6 weeks on. I was on Cym for 10 weeks, I took 12 weeks to come off and I had some hoffic times after my last dose - just see my forums!!

These will all pass, but for now I would suggest you increase your bead count to stabalise as the 5 beads clearly aren't cutting it for you. I would leave the Prozac for now as this will take a good 6-8 week before you see improvement, whereas adding the beads will take - or should take - only a week or two. Might I suggest you try moving up to 10 beads... wait for 3-4 days, and if no better, add another 5... wait for 3-4 days again, and hopefully you should see some improvement. We don't want you to go steaming back up to 20mg or similar. This will only make things worse.

For the records, I had the "sleep starts" you speak of - or hypnic jerks as they are known. They are a nightmare, and I still occasionally get them when I am anxious. I found liquid melatonin settled me - as did KSM-66 ashwagandha. Again, the eBook will cover a lot of this.

Hope this gets you started for now - I expect others will be along to chime in soon.

IUN

#3 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:19 PM

Just reading this completely makes me feel that I am not alone - I should have came on to this forum earlier.

Yes I probably am tapering too quickly. I was on 6 weeks of 30 mg (where the horrid side effects basically including every single listed), then did 2 weeks of 15 mg (by bead counting) and then now about 3 weeks of 5 beads and I feel like this 5 bead taper is just starting to affect me. Last 2 weeks I almost literally had no symptoms... until the last 2 days... which made me uneasy as I thought I was done as I pretty much had my life back and NO symptoms. So as you know, this is quite unnerving. Hence again, why I am here. 

Thank you so so much for your advice, I am going to try increasing some beads again. You don't know how much I truly appreciate this advice. As by now, my doctor thinks I am crazy and that the withdrawal symptoms should be completely gone and he said he is 100% certain which irritates the living hell out of me which in amps up my anxiety and in the back of my head I am wondering - is this real? Is this a new health issue? Is this nerve damage? I am also a hypochondriac by nature so I mean, it has been a real rough go. 

Yes hypnic jerks  -- exactly, they are HORRID! Thank you for the info for the melatonin. 

I will definitely look into the eBook thank you. 

I feel a sense of relief, I am just trying to process this all while trying to hold ice packs on my legs and arms.

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:39 PM

I am glad that you have found some relief through being here and do not worry for not being here sooner - you are here now - and that is what matters. You WILL be OK.

The eBook can be downloaded from here;

https://www.cymbalta...tion-the-ebook/

So, yes, your taper was too quick and is the sole reason for your symptoms. I had an 11-day "honeymoon" period before it all kicked off. This is the time between the last dose and the symptoms hitting. Not quite sure who started the term!!

As my dear friend here, FishingHat would put it... your doctor is an idiot. They think they know, but they don't. I had a p-doc confiscate my supply when I was down to 10 beads... yes, confiscate! When I reached the point you were at, I was calling about 10 times a day begging for the beads back. I was even trying to find someone on the forum in the UK who could send me some - I know just how bad it can be!

Hang in there DT....

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

Welcome DT

The prickly/tingly does go away but slowly. It may be two months before it is gone or nearly gone. Some have had good luck using 2000 to 3000 mg of Omega 3 that is high in epa/dha.

I have heard of a few people whose dr recommending a short dose of Prozac but I have never heard of it working. Like IUN said, Prozac takes 6 to 8 weeks to kick in.

#6 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:57 PM

Yes "honeymoon period" is just what I came out of - it was truly pure bliss I was even telling people 'Thank God that withdrawal is finally over, whew!' and then with vengeance for it to come back was enough to send me spiraling out of control, looking for more answers ALL night, pouring over my phone in desperate search for anything that would give me hope. Again, which led me here. The help in just these few responses mean more to me than I think you can know as I feel like Ia m the only one in this country with this problem as I  have been discounted by EVERY DOCTOR I see here (I live in Canada, so is this really surprising?..). Yes, my currently family doctor is also an idiot - he is also the 3rd one I have seen since this all began. I feel like I am doctor chasing just to find some answers and have arrived at the same one every time - "You can't POSSIBLY be going through withdrawal for the duration you were on and this long after, it is IMPOSSIBLE." It is devastating.

Very interesting about the Prozac as I was considering this (doctor would not prescribe anyways) as in some research it seemed to be plausible - but good to note that you have not heard of it working. 

As close as I am to feel like I need to admit myself into a psych ward just to get answers and somehow this awful skin sensation fixed - I know it is just time. It's just hard - very very hard. I wouldn't wish this hell on my worst enemy.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:18 PM

We know exactly how you feel. I can not understand why drs don't know ab out the severity of Cymbalta withdrawal as it is well documented and the drug insert that comes with the medication even warns of it.

#8 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:42 PM

If they did Hat, we wouldn't have our little forum here.

If you recall, I even printed off section 5 of the PIL and gave it to my first p-doc regarding my seizures in an attempt to get my beads back. Didn't give it one glance, as none of his previous patients had such a problem. So even the warnings don't give the protection some of us should have.

DT... the best doctor to treat you... is you. No-one has more of a vested interest in getting you feeling better than you, which is why you are here. You cannot get better information about a drug than that given by 10,000 odd end users. This is why I get so angry when doctors tell me to not read forums. I am glad that our responses today have helped you. 

#9 Lovey

Lovey

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • why_joining:
    Trying to get off of this poisonous drug. Need support and help!Down from 120mg to 7mg.
    Am currently taking 18 beads 2x per day. A split dose method. 4 am and 4 pm. Pausing to stabilize.

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

Hi everyone I need some support! Fishinghat has helped in the past and hopefully will see this! I am down to approximately 7 mg! Woohoo! Was at 60 at the highest dose. I want to get off this but when I drop any more, I feel dizzy and disoriented in my surroundings so to speak. I am extremely irritable and almost paranoid. What advice can you give? When I taper, I do 3 less beads at a time, for a week. Do I really need to go slower than this? Thank you!!!! I'm so frustrated!!!

#10 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

Hi there Hrk - Hat will see this later, but in the mean time I can tell you that he will most certainly advise you to go slower. Drop to a bead per week for this last stage and do not be worried to hold a little longer than a week if you feel you need to before dropping further. All your symptoms are classic for this point in the withdrawal, and fairly good if you do not have any anxiety or depression that you cannot deal with. 

Sounds like you have a case of derealisation by what you describe, which can come and go during these periods. Make sure you are eating good foods and staying hydrated, and if you are not already, get some high EPA/DHA Omega 3 supplements - these will help you for sure.

Don't give into your frustration!!

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:24 PM

When IUN said not to give in to your frustration it is oh so true. First I would hold steady at your current level for a month or two to give yourself more time to heal and stabilize. I would then drop at 1 bead a week until I see how that goes. If you think that is terrible I can tell you that some have taken 2 to 3 years to wean and have gone as slow as 1 bead a month. You can only do what you can do. Your body will only adapt at a certain past.

#12 Lovey

Lovey

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • why_joining:
    Trying to get off of this poisonous drug. Need support and help!Down from 120mg to 7mg.
    Am currently taking 18 beads 2x per day. A split dose method. 4 am and 4 pm. Pausing to stabilize.

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:01 PM

Thank you both IUN AND FISHINGHAT, your advice and help is immeasurable, truly. I have been stabilized for about 2 months at this dose and feel ready to drop one bead a week now, adjusting to possibly longer intervals of waiting to reduce if needed. I use a digital scale. My measurement is .042. Its still awful having to make pills every week but better than counting individual beads. Tonight I will drop to .041 and hopefully be ok. I will hold steady once the holidays come around as that is a highly emotional time. I will be active on here and checking in. I hope you will be able to support me through this. Hearing that what I am experiencing is normal at this stage is a giant relief and help me know I am not imagining this! Unbelievable the mind games this crap plays on us!!! Thx !!!!

#13 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

Good point on the holidays - it can be a very stressful time, so holding steady at this time is a good choice to make now.

Please do continue to check in and of course we will support you all we can along the way.

Take care.

#14 Lovey

Lovey

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

I see you took an increase of celexa. Did this help? I tried bumping up my lexapro from 10 to 15 mg but it feels like the wrong move. Hypervigilance and derealization are increased from doing this. Thx.

#15 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

Not for me... but then again, I have been pushed and pulled through so many meds over the last 12 months, and that alone will have messed things up to the point that the efficacy of these meds cannot be accurately measured. It is very bad practice to change meds/doses so quickly.

#16 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:43 PM

I just wanted to post an update in case anyone is going through the same thing as I did with the dreaded paresthesia's - they are pretty much gone now I would say 95%. I found that this one kind of lingered but it is very important to remember that this is NOT nerve damage but rather your nerves coming back to life in a confused state, with some misfiring action, but it is temporary and WILL PASS. 

The above advice regarding Omega 3 supplementation worked WONDERS within about a week. I would highly recommend.

The other thing that helped me through the withdrawal mess was mediating on the following verses, if you are of Christian faith or not, I found these to be very helpful. And hey, meditation is also very beneficial to do during withdrawal so I would highly recommend. 

Psalm 34:17

Isaiah 61:3

Isaiah 40:31

2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Psalm 147:3*

1 Peter 5:6-7

Proverbs 4:20-22

Jeremiah 17:14

Jeremiah 30:17

Psalm 103:3

Have a wonderful day everyone

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

"...it is very important to remember that this is NOT nerve damage but rather your nerves coming back to life in a confused state, with some misfiring action, but it is temporary and WILL PASS."

very true.

#18 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:58 PM

I forgot to mention I am also taking NAC OTC 600mg daily. Really seems to help with basically every withdrawal symptom. 

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:49 PM

Good, NAC is a good treatment for DNA damage and an excellent antioxidant. Glad it helps.

#20 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

Update: A few days ago the burning, prickling, numbness along with bad pain and feeling like I am wet all over, hot hands touching me and insects crawling all over my body. I was such a mess that yesterday I ended up in emergency. The emergency doctor actually was NOT insane much to my belief and said this is  becoming more and more of a problem and said this is AD withdrawal and it can go on for a very long time and it is very torturous. He said he used to be a family doc and would write AD prescriptions like crazy and he said now he is scared to and more hesitant. He said it changes so much brain software and it is is a lengthy process for your brain to unsort it all. He said it is the worst WD he has seen and he has seen every hard drug out there. 

He prescribed me Seroquel (the smallest available dose) and all it did yesterday was make me foggy. It did not mask the symptoms or make me feel disassociated from them. He also put me on a rapid assessment list so I will be seeing a psychiatrist within 10 days that will have better ideas to help me "get through" without losing my mind because honestly I was at that point yesterday...

My only fear is this seroquel apparently dampens your dopamine and serotonin receptors... is this a bad idea to do right now? Does anyone have any thoughts? Will this only add to my withdrawal? He said that the seroquel is non addictive and has no real withdrawal (As well as the pharmacist verified this) but I am so so nervous to put anything in my body that acts on neurotransmitters. That being said, will this drug maybe just "Dampen" my body's tactile sensation response?.. This is a little technical but if anyone has any thoughts please please let me know.

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:36 PM

I am impressed that this dr knew what this was all about. Good for him.

Gabapentin is often prescribed for these types of conditions and to be honest it either makes you foggy or is a wonder drug. A 50/50 shot. You will know in 2 or 3 days if it will help. It DOES have a withdrawal but having said that it is very minor with a slow taper over 4 to 6 weeks little is noted in the way of symptoms. It is not addictive.

Seroquel is a dopamine, serotonin, and adrenergic antagonist (blocks these receptors), and a potent antihistamine with some anticholinergic properties.
Chew, ML (2008). "Anticholinergic activity of 107 medications commonly used by older adults". J Am Geriatr Soc. 56 (7): 1333–41

Discontinuation
The British National Formulary recommends a gradual withdrawal when discontinuing antipsychotics to avoid acute withdrawal syndrome or rapid relapse.[38] Symptoms of withdrawal commonly include nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite.[39] Other symptoms may include restlessness, increased sweating, and trouble sleeping.[39] Less commonly there may be a feeling of the world spinning, numbness, or muscle pains.[39] Symptoms generally resolve after a short period of time.[39]
There is tentative evidence that discontinuation of antipsychotics can result in psychosis.[40] It may also result in reoccurrence of the condition that is being treated.[41] Rarely tardive dyskinesia can occur when the medication is stopped.[39]

Wiki

#22 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:07 PM

Thank you for that info.

So I guess I am wondering if it blocks serotonin, dopamine and other receptors, will this only compound the problem of my withdrawal and draw it out longer? 

#23 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:36 PM

It really depends as they will act on different receptors - Seroquel binds to 5HT2a, but you also have b and c in the same group. I forget what Duloxetine binds to. Hat will remember. But it can't re-block those that are already blocked by the Duloxetine as they cannot be unblocked once blocked - it is not possible - like trying to unscramble an egg - can't be done. But whether is acts on the new receptors being developed by the cortex I cannot say. This is outside of my knowledge - but certainly an interesting one.

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

IUN is right. Seroquel has helped some and not others.. One reason for this is that each person is genetically different and therefore naturally produces different amounts of neurotransmitters and their transporters. This process is also impacted by other meds, diet and much more.

No clear answer as to whether it will help or not.

#25 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:50 PM

Is it normal for the paraesthesia to almost be gone some days and then come back and then go and come back, like in waves? It has been 6 weeks since my very last bead.

#26 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:47 AM

Not unusual but during that time usually the good periods should get longer and the bad periods should get shorter. eventually it fades.

#27 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

And the horrendous skin crawling and itching sensation is brutal. Other than these sensations I feel very good. Does anyone know why this seems to be one of the last things to linger? After reading many experiences on here it seems this is the case when one gets this withdrawal symptom.

#28 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

You may not believe this but some of the members have gotten relief from using diaper rash cream! It is worth a try.

#29 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:52 AM

That is certainly interesting. I will give that a try! I cant believe how long this lingers and that it the prickling burning itching can actually be so painful. I wish others that have experienced this as I see they have would have posted when this symptom went away. I feel like a lot of the time once they feel better they stop posting.. it would be of such a help.

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:10 PM

Yes, I have run into that. I have been on this site for over 6 years and have read all the posts and that is a common problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users