• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NURSA

NURSA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

Withdrawal symptoms have been the worse yesterday and again today. So dizzy I can barely stand and nauseous as well, increased fatigue. Yesterday I just cried and cried. My husband asked if it was worth it. Trying to convince someone it is is proving difficult when I am feeling so ill. I was on 60mg for 3 months before deciding to taper as my hair was falling off. I took my last 15mg dose on Sunday night. I am taking supplements for brain health... But just riding out the storm. Thc seems to help a little. Any advice for riding this out? How long did the symptoms last for you?

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,864 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

Welcome NURSA

You dropped straight from 15 mg to zero? Way to fast. We normally recommend 3 to 6 months to make that drop. At this point I would say your symptoms will last from 3 to 8 months before you start getting breaks in the symptoms. Having said that some recover in a few weeks but that is very rare. Considering you have only been on this dose for a few days I would suggest you reinstate at 15 mg, stabilize and then wean much more slowly.

#3 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,194 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

Hi Nursa and a welcome from me.

That's your best advice there from Hat. Get right back on them. If you are within 12 hours of when you normally took your dose, wait until that time, but if you are more than 12 hours outside of the usual time, take a dose right now. 

You didn't mention how quick you went from 60mg to 15mg? And how long were you at 15mg? Did you notice any issues at that dose?

If you were a few weeks at 15mg, then a slightly lower dose might be sufficient to reinstate, but going by your post, which is what I think Hat is doing - it sounds like you have gone way too quick and getting back to 15mg is called for. If you get back onto a dose today, you WILL feel much better over the weekend. These drugs can have such a nasty withdrawal. The time periods for removal need to be respected.

Any more info you can give us will help. I also suggest you download our eBook for getting a bit of background info...

https://www.cymbalta...tion-the-ebook/

IUN

#4 NURSA

NURSA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

I dropped from 60 to 30mg, had some withdrawal effects for about a week. Then after a week of stabilizing tried 15mg. Again same time period of withdrawal. Now I'm on none. It's harsh but I was prepared for this. I have time off from work, meds to control the symptoms, support from health and non health professionals, I am on supportive supplements, I have a counseling appointment next week, I got 2 weeks ahead on my school work and am going back to work tomorrow morning. I'd rather have a quick shitty withdrawal then 6 more months of my hair falling out and dealing with who knows what kind of side effects... I really don't believe this will last for 3 to 8 months like the other person said. I have titrated off Eff3xor in the past. It is horrible but doable!!! You just have to keep repeating "this is only temporary" and lean into God. Perhaps because I have fibro and deal with these types of symptoms on daily I can see past the withdrawal??

#5 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,194 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:49 PM

OK - this is good info to go on, and I can completely see your reasons for getting off the Cymbalta quickly. Loosing hair can be a real shock I can imagine. 

If this is motivation enough for you to ride the storm of the withdrawal, then I sincerely admire your bravery in taking it on, but please understand that a quick taper to get off the drug doesn't always mean that the withdrawal will be less severe, nor that the effects will clear longer, but I hope for you sake that it is not this way for you. 

Support is good, as it counselling, but neither will prevent the symptoms. Given what has occurred following your taper, it is safe to say - although somewhat distressing - that you will have a while of the withdrawal yet... but again, if it relieves you of the hair issue and this is your main concern, then maybe you can weather it. Hat has given you a timeline which may be a little over-reached, but we have certainly seen how long withdrawal can last. Personally speaking, I was only on Cymbalta for 10 weeks, but it took me around 4-5 months to get to a point where the withdrawal left me alone. Please do not underestimate the potential of this drug.

We will help you whatever your route of choice in coming off, but I still think reinstating, even if you go back to 10mg and bead count from there. If your hair remains at this dose, then this is a far better place to be. This is a small dose to what you were taking when the symptoms occurred, so it is likely that you will no suffer the same at this dose. You can save yourself a LOT of suffering by taking this last part slow. 

What supplements have you been advised for the withdrawal?

Spirituality is the best supplement of all for those that have found that path. Indeed, put your faith in God in what is planned for you. On this earthly plane, He knows us far better than we know ourselves. As tough as life can be at these times, remaining on our path is what we must consider. 

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,864 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

I sincerely wish you are correct NURSA and you may be right. In any case we are here to help if you need it.

#7 NURSA

NURSA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:50 PM

I am taking an advanced amino supplement from True hope, vitamin D, magnesium, biotin/coconut oil daily. My physical symptoms have improved greatly today but I still can cry at the drop of a hat. I actually have no more Cymbalta to try to get back on 10mg. Right now my biggest challenge is dealing with my husband. He doesn't see why I am doing this, and is getting tired of my mood swings. I wonder how I can hold him up while trudging through my own life and dealing with these issues ALONE. My sister understands. Thank God for her

#8 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,194 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

Your husband is not YOUR challenge. As much as you love him, he vowed for better or worse. He doesn't need to understand, he just needs to empathise. Have a read of the family support section on the forum - or if you can, get your husband to read it. This is very common and people have had marriages break down because of withdrawal. Nobody wants that.

Shame you don't have access to more Cymbalta as that would have helped. Is there no change of getting a repeat prescription? 

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,864 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

I am really sorry that your husband isn't supporting you. That is soooo important. Does he not understand what withdrawal does to a person? Like IUN says, maybe he should read some posts.

True Hope AminoPower Advanced has 25 ingredients. Some of the amino acids are good but some can cause anxiety and others depression. Many people have allergies to some of these components. Way to high a level of B12 and fairly high levels of B6 which has a 28 day half life and can build up in toxic amounts in the body. It also has Vitamin D in it and you said you are also taking Vitamin D. Have you been diagnosed Vitamin D deficient? Magnesium can also cause anxiety and will replace calcium in the body. I assume you have had your blood calcium and magnesium checked often. Biotin no issue. Coconut oil is a stimulant and will definitely make anxiety worse.

#10 NURSA

NURSA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:21 PM

Feeling great today!! Thank the Lord. Able to work and laugh and smile. My supplements have been working well! Just curious, are you a doctor or??

#11 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,194 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

Fantastic! It has been a tough day all round, so I am really glad you bring us good news. Really happy for you - and thanks for sharing.

Personally speaking, I am 3 years into my 5 years of training, but I am (hopefully!) to be a PhD rather than an MD. I am a researcher rather than a practitioner. My knowledge is more theoretical and therefore can proffer suggestions and potentials, whereas Hat has more experience in the real world of medicine and thus knows more about what works with what.

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,864 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:47 PM

That is great news Nursa!!

I have a Master's in Physiology and a Bachelor's in Biology and Chemistry with a minor in mathematics. I also have 30 years experience as an engineer doing a lot of taxological work, health surveys and more. The best thing is that I am retired know!! Yea.

#13 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,194 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:53 PM

The best thing is that I am retired know!! Yea.

...so spare a thought for all of us who still have to wait before we get the pleasure :D

#14 ForLyla

ForLyla

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • why_joining:
    It's really difficult finding support for conditions like this. There's really nothing at a local level so the internet is pretty much it.

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

Nursa I'm assuming they put you on benzos to help with withdrawal? I've been going through this for nearly 3 years and I can tell you that benzo withdrawal is just as bad, if not worse than Cymbalta withdrawal. I like to warn people about trying to medicate your way out of this as I wish someone had done for me. Polydrugging will bring your nervous system to a point that's very slow and difficult to come back from. 

If you're one of the lucky ones and you're feeling well now then please never take another psych med again. Kindling is real and will make it impossible for you to get off other psych meds. 

#15 NURSA

NURSA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

Hey, I am off the Cymbalta successfully the way I tapered. No withdrawal symptoms anymore. I have more energy, no brain zaps, nausea, or Dizziness. I feel like myself again. Goodluck to all those who are going through this!!

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,864 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

It is party time. Yea!! Good for you NURSA. Go out and conquer the world now.

#17 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:33 PM

So pleased for you Nursa! Well done. What supplements are you taking please? Did you have any stomach issues with your withdrawal?

Polly

#18 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,194 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

Congrats from me too Nursa... very well done for holding through.

#19 NURSA

NURSA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:49 PM

Polly, I am taking a probiotic, vitamin d, and Empower plus by True hope. Yes my stomach was awful. It wasn't easy. It totally sucked but I was prepared for that as I have come off of Effexor in the past.

#20 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:35 PM

So glad you are out the other side Nursa. The stomach issues are awful I agree but I am going to power through😁. Down to 18 beads tomorrow. It's the not being able to take a deep breath which is challenging🙄. Did you suffer from that at all?

Polly

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,864 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 November 2019 - 05:17 PM

Nursa, True Hope sells several types of EMpower Plus. Do you know which one you took and do you feel 9t helped a lot?

Thanks for the information.

#22 NURSA

NURSA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:29 PM

I am taking the advanced multivitamin one. It's hard to say if it helped. Would I feel worse if wasn't taking them? I'll never know, but I do know there were days when I felt so horrible, I don't think anything helped. I did bounce back sooner than a lot of people though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users