#1 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

Hi

Just a quick update- I have added Suntheanine to the Ashwaganda and it is definitely helping to make me feel calmer. If I can just sort my stomach and breathing issues out, it would be a much easier journey!

The breathing issue is that I feel like I have to keep taking a deep breath to get air in. My stomach feels as if someone is twisting my insides and some heartburn. Can anyone suggest anything for either of these please? Or do I have to just ride it out?

Thanks.

#2 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:16 PM

Hi Pol....

Really glad to hear that our little plan worked out combining the both. I would like to say that a few days of being calmer should offset some of the other symptoms purely as they are a result of intolerant stress levels courtesy of the withdrawal. It may be a case that it still remains, but as they say, half a loaf is better than none at all!

Hat would be the one to suggest stomach stuff. What he doesn't know about that area isn't worth knowing. I can't really add any more than what has already been gone through...

IUN

#3 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

Thanks IUN. Will carry on with the plan. Hope you've had a good day.

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:59 PM

Much better day thank you. Odd that I have got better over last three days of stopping homeopathic remedy. 

I'll give it a few more days as I need a rest and then will strap myself in for another try. Still have stressful mornings though.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 October 2019 - 04:55 PM

Gas-x helps with gas issues if taken about 30 minutes before a meal. Pepto or kao pectate for an upset stomach (unless constipated), do NOT drink anything cold or hot when your stomach is upset, a heating pad on the stomach can help, eat smaller meals but more often, a simple antacid  like Tums is OK if taken at least 2 hours from any medication. If diarrhea then Imodium works very well. I have even taken a 1/2 tablet of Imodium for and upset stomach even if no diarrhea. Don't take Imodium for an extended period as it can cause constipation.

#6 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

Thanks FH. The stomach pain has eased a lot today. I still feel I am having to breathe really deeply. I don't seem to have any control over it though and can only calm it down when I am at home relaxing or doing guided meditation. It's quite hard when I'm at work. Is this normal?

The Ashwaganda and Suntheanine is making me feel spaced out but calm - which isn't a bad thing!

Thanks.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:48 AM

"It's quite hard when I'm at work. Is this normal?"

Quite normal. You are under more stress at work and thus it is harder to control. Try pausing for a second, close your eyes and take 3 deep breathes. That may help a little.

#8 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:59 AM

Pol,

You answered your own question... "can only calm it down when I am at home relaxing or doing guided meditation". As Hat said, work is stressful... well... life is stressful... and you have to capitalise on these moments when you can control these feelings, thus giving your body time to recover from the times when you can't control these things so easily.

You need to try your best to accept these times that you cannot control, as worrying yourself about it and getting yourself caught up with it all only strengthens the belief that you cannot control it. By accepting you cannot control at these times saves you adding more to the issue. The symptoms are there and by tolerating it, you are giving yourself more control.

Paradoxical, but its the truth...!

#9 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

Thanks both. It's the breathing issue that I'm finding really hard. Do you think this will go soon? I find I'm having to yawn really hard to get air in. Does this happen to everyone?

Sorry to keep asking but it's quite scary. Have just done some guided meditation and I'm going to accept this is the way I'm going to feel for a while!

Thanks again.

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

It should fade soon as it usually only lasts around 4 to 8 weeks. It is best to assume you need to get us to it as worrying about it and wanting to rush it only makes it worse.

#11 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:07 PM

Thank you. I will just ride the storm in that case and get used to it

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:02 PM

Another thing I just remembered Polly is peppermint lozenges. Peppermint relaxes stomach muscles. Be sure the lozenges contain real peppermint and not just flavoring. The nice thing is that you can use them anytime and as often as you want.

#13 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:13 PM

Well remembered Hat. Was just looking through the book and to quote...

"Peppermint contains high amounts of menthol which is an antispasmotic and smooth muscle relaxant."

#14 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:14 PM

Thanks both! Will get some tomorrow 😊

#15 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

Keep us posted - all this info is good for Hat and myself to maintain the database of withdrawal aids...

#16 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:25 AM

Hi Polly,

I was having breathing issues too just like you. I felt like I was practically having to dislocate my ribs to get a full breath in. I think in my case it was a very low grade asthma flaring up. I've never been diagnosed with asthma and typically don't have problems breathing unless I'm exercising but it really felt like asthma and I definitely felt some wheezing when I was trying to breathe. I told you I was using a Flonase spray at the time for my allergies and it seemed to coincidentally help my breathing. I did a quick research on Flonase and it turns out it's not even an antihistamine, it's actually a corticosteroid and more importantly it's a "nonperscription fluticasone nasal spray" and apparently fluticasone when it comes in an ORAL preparation is what you might put in your inhaler when you're having an asthma attack. 

I think the Flonase helped me because it was just an acute symptom. It looks like these types of sprays can help in an episode but they don't necessarily help to control asthma long term or anything. But maybe find a nasal spray that contains fluticasone and give it a try? It might take a few days to work, during allergy season I typically have to let it build up in my system for a couple days before I get relief. 

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:44 AM

That sounds great frog. It tips like that which can make a difference to members. Polly, if you try that let us know how it works for you.

#18 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:43 AM

Apologies Frog, I've just realised that I haven't replied to your kind advice! An update from me - I am on the final week of Duloxetine😁. I am down to 6 beads today and will take my last bead next Monday!

I haven't tried the nasal spray yet as I can't find one in the UK with the same ingredient. I do have Benconase so I may try that. I still have the breathing issue but it's not as bad as it was. I have bad stomach cramps, but thankfully I have no other withdrawals so that's why I'm ploughing through.

Please keep everything crossed and pray for me🙏. I have the next 12 days off work so at least I'm at home and can rest as I need to.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks so much for everyone's support, it really is helping! I am so grateful for this forum.

Polly

#19 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:32 AM

Hi.

A quick update from me. Day 11 off Cymbalta. I have still been having the breathing and stomach issues. Some days are better than others. Yesterday was much better but today the pain behind my breastbone and in the top of my stomach is awful. The Lansoprazole isn't helping and nor is Gaviscon.

It feels like food is stuck behind my breastbone and I'm frightened to eat anything, even though I'm hungry. No brain zaps, only the occasional feeling of being off balance.

I suppose I need some reassurance that this is normal at this stage. I have stopped taking all supplements at the moment as I thought they may be aggravating my stomach.

Any advice or reassurance is welcome.

Thanks.

Polly

#20 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:40 AM

Hi Polly,

Forgot to mention - and don't know if I mentioned before but when my doctor took me off my Citalopram a couple of years ago (which kickstarted this present episode), I had this very problem. The feeling that something like food was stuck in my throat. I was so scared to even eat anything. It sometimes went away on its own, but sure as anything else, it came back. It did eventually go away but I cannot remember the duration. But it WAS before I reinstated the Citalopram - that much I can remember, so it was not a permanent thing.

Again, would be interested for Hat's input at this juncture as not sure how to approach the stomach continuation. Again, as said before, day 11 is still relatively early and I am hedging bets on things starting to show signs of improvement towards the end of next week - although this can never be sure. I am just going on how you have faired so far...

IUN

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

Stomach issues...normal at your stage of the game. Sucks but it will fade over the next 4 to 8 weeks.

The not being able to swallow or the lump in your throat is esophageal constriction and is a function of the adrenaline levels. It too will passes. Things that can help it is to suck on peppermint lozenges (they relax smooth muscles like the esophagus and stomach) and also drink luke warm liquids only.

#22 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:58 AM

Thanks FH. It is making me miserable so I hope it eases soon.

It's not a lump in my throat. It's a pain behind my breastbone which is radiating into my shoulder and my arms ache. Is this related to the oesophagus? My stomach feels very uncomfortable too. Are there any supplements I can take?

Thanks.

Polly

#23 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:59 AM

That is all related. The only treatments I can recall are the peppermint lozenges (must contain real peppermint, not flavoring) and drinking luke warm water. The warm water seemed to help me a lot. Just like putting heat on a cramping muscle the warm water heats the esophagus and helps relax it.

#24 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:19 AM

The major nerve supplying the esophagus is the vagus nerve, which is known to contribute a great deal to issues involving the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system - the parts which are out of whack during withdrawal. Whilst there is no direct connection, the pain can cause you to tense the pectoral major muscle group whose nerves then radiate away from this area to the shoulders.

It is all connected and just part of fitting the pieces into the jigsaw... and it will pass my dear, it will.

As Hat said, relaxing this area is your best bet at the moment - be that though meditation, massage, lukewarm beverages, hotty-bottys(!) and the peppermint.

So many people have doubts that they will be stuck with these symptoms during withdrawal, but unfortunately, it takes a long time. I only had 10 weeks on the stuff and it took 3 times that for me to loose the majority of the symptoms. It is a horrible drug and I could weep for what it has done to our LDN. But again, yours is a different story - do not be discouraged.

Prayers and patience. Your time will come.

#25 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:24 PM

Thanks so much both of you for explaining it. It does put my mind at rest. Patience is not my strong point! Lol.

Hopefully, it will pass soon🙏. Hope you have both had a peaceful weekend.

Polly

#26 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:30 PM

Withdrawals of this magnitude push even the most patient of people to be abusive to their clients for no reason (me) and punch the crap out of their boats (Hat)...

But take solace in the very fact that we can share these details without fear of repercussion. They become a mere chapter in a much bigger book of life that is yet to play out...

Namaste...

#27 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:45 AM

Hi

A quick update. Day 17 off today. The stomach pain was bad yesterday so the doctor increased the Lansoprazole so I'll have to see if it works. The stomach pain was better today but the shortness of breath has been a lot worse!

It's quite scary. I just wanted to ask if this is normal at this stage and whether it will go soon. Just need reassurance I suppose.

One thing that occurred to me was that the knot feeling in my stomach and the shortness of breath got worse after I had eaten a banana this morning. I went through a phase of not being able to tolerate them but have re-introduced them recently. I'm wondering if they could be causing my problems or is this down to withdrawal? I'd appreciate advice please.

Thanks.

Polly

#28 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:33 PM

Bananas contain L-Tyrosine which can slow the conversion of L-tryptophan to serotonin. This was probably the source of the problems.

Bananas are also a good source of flavonoids and increases the amount of dopamine. this is a good thing but the serotonin levels are more important.

#29 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Fishinghat. So are you saying that the banana could contribute to the breathing problem?

I have an asthma inhaler (although I'm not asthmatic- the doctor thought I was when all this was brought on by Duloxetine) so I have used that today. It didn't make much difference so I took an antihistamine 2 hours ago but my shortness of breath is still there. How long would it take for the banana to be out of my system- if it was that that caused it.

Just when I thought things were going so well😫😥.

Thanks.

Polly

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:27 PM

Did the breathing problems start when you went on Cymbalta or when you started to come off?

Most antihistamines will not help with the breathing unless it is a histamine reaction causing the breathing problem such as allergies. What antihistamine are you taking?

The effects of the banana should not last more than 12 hours and your symptoms should recover within a day after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users