62 replies to this topic

#31 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:21 PM

Thank you. The breathing issue has been on and off since the doctor tried me in 4 different antidepressants over the last year.it got worse on Duloxetine and worse still weaning off. Is the breathing issue real or psycosomatic? Is it due to the chemicals trying to rebalance in my brain? Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to understand it all.

The antihistamine I took was Chlorphenamine as it was the only one in my handbag at work. I normally take Cetirizine. We can't get Diphenhydramine over the counter in the UK, although I have some Benilyn cough medicine which has some in.

Could the banana have really made things worse?

Thanks.

#32 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

Sorry I meant to ask if there is anything I can take to alleviate the breathing issue?

#33 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

If the breathing issue was actually apparent while on the anti-depressants then it is probably a side effect rather than only a withdrawal symptom. This will take some research and it may be tomorrow before I have any info. Sorry.

Yes, the banana could have made things worse. There are a lot of food and drinks that may help symptoms or make them worse. It makes things harder to deal with for sure.

#34 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:58 PM

Well, that didn't take long. The only issue I found was that certain liver issues can cause shortness of breath and of course as we all know ant-depressants can cause liver damage. More to follow.

#35 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:06 PM

Well apparently that is not the issue. The liver condition is called Ascites. It is the massive buildup of fluids in the abdomen and accompanies liver failure which would have a number of other symptoms including jaundice (yellowing of the whites of the eyes, skin and fingertips as well as foul smelling stools, off color stools and much more). The jaundice would be very obvious and easily seen by the time breathing difficulties developed.

Really found no connection to breathing difficulties and antidepressants. I will keep thinking about it.

#36 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for researching FH.

I thought you were saying I could have a liver condition. You weren't were you? I haven't got any signs of jaundice.

#37 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:50 PM

If you had a serious liver condition, there would be a lot more symptoms besides the breathing - that is for sure.

Given that you have been on and off a number of AD's in the past, the reality is that each withdrawal can be longer in terms of the effects removing themselves - is all part of kindling, which also states information along the lines of being more sensitive to meds in the same or similar groups. With that in mind, it makes sense that there are still issues present. 

Unless you have had other underlying conditions that will affect your liver, I see no direct co-relation to serious issues as a result of a few trials of SSRI's. So don't panic!! But I do think that if this is still going on next week that an upper GI should be considered. It may well disappear by the time the appointment comes through, being the NHS and all, but this is why I suggest you look into it now - you can always cancel the appointment if it clears up,,

#38 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:16 PM

Thanks IUN. When I saw the doctor the other day she said to take the increased Lansoprazole for 4 weeks and if the symptoms haven't disappeared by then she will refer me to a gastroenterologist. So I have to wait until then. My stomach hasn't been so bad today. It is the breathing issue which is the most troublesome and scary.😥.

Thanks for your reply.

#39 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:21 PM

Of course - I forgot you mentioned that - it was only yesterday!! Oh my goodness!!

Well just make sure you follow that up - you know how slap-dash the NHS can be...

Having said that we might not have one in 4 weeks LOL!!!

#40 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:26 PM

Ha ha, that's true! Let's see what tomorrow brings with the election results - they are all clowns and have turned it into a circus!

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

#41 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:23 PM

I did my bit but whichever way it goes they will screw it up.

Our nation is the laughing stock of the rest of the world. So much for democracy. 

#42 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:28 PM

No, I don't think that you have a liver issue. Like IUN said, there would be a lot more symptoms if you do.

You might need to see a Pulmonologist. (Lung doctor)

#43 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:37 PM

Oh no. That sounds just as bad. I'm hoping it will go soon!

#44 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:39 PM

I think you said in some of my earlier posts that it could be respiratory acidosis and should go. Do you think this is still the case?

Thanks.

#45 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:37 PM

Hat is right - a gastroenterologist will not be able to help with the breathing issues. Have you mentioned the breathing issues to the GP as well?

Regarding the respiratory acidosis - do you get much in the way of headaches? This often accompanies such a condition.

#46 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:16 AM

Yes I have mentioned the breathing issue many times and am seeing a breathing physio as they say my breathing is out of kilter so I have breathing exercises to do. I have also had x rays on my chest which are always clear. I get a good night's sleep most nights so it doesn't wake me up, so maybe it's anxiety making me breathe this way

Feeling quite scared now about the breathing after all that's been said. 😥.

Thanks.

#47 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:19 AM

I get occasional headaches but nothing major. Maybe a couple of times a week.

#48 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:23 AM

Sorry, just thought of something I forgot to say. The doctor has listened to my chest numerous times and it's always clear and my oxygen levels are always 98 or 99.

#49 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:10 AM

Have you had a recent ekg?

#50 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:23 AM

"I think you said in some of my earlier posts that it could be respiratory acidosis and should go. Do you think this is still the case?"

That can occur during periods of heavy stress such as this withdrawal but would not normally appear while on a ssri/snri and feeling fairly well. When you said the breathing issues were sometimes there when on various antidepressants it made me doubt that this may be the issue.

The oxygen levels would make it more likely anxiety and less likely respiratory acidosis as it usually brings down the oxygen levels some.

#51 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:25 AM

Do you ever feel like there is a rubber band around your chest (tightness, like something squeezing your chest) or that someone is setting on your chest?

#52 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:41 AM

I have that, hot water pad is good for this. It comes and goes.
Ps I'm not in withdrawal.

#53 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:21 AM

Thanks all. I've had several ECGs lately and they've all been good. One doctor said he wished his heart was as healthy sounding as mine😁.

Today the breathing has eased a bit and is more related to a tight feeling I have in the centre of my stomach. I think this is withdrawal and is anxiety related.

Hi Gail! How are you doing? I've read lots about you - all good! When I had bad anxiety I did get a feeling of a tight band around my chest, which was definitely anxiety and a hot water bottle really helped. I don't have the tight band feeling through withdrawal, more of a crampy, squeezing feeling in the centre of my stomach. Does this sound like withdrawal? Day 18 off. I don't feel anxious and am going out as normal. It's just that my stomach feels tense. I'm hoping it eases off soon.

Thanks for your replies.

Polly

#54 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:27 PM

withdrawal/anxiety probably.

#55 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:23 PM

I think all things considered, I would also say anxiety too. You seem to have checked out just fine. If the EKG was fine then you have no issues with valve timings etc which can upset breathing responses, so all looks good to me. Just need to get rid of it now :)

#56 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:24 AM

Same here, anxiety. The hot pad really helps while lying in bed. Hang in there, things are looking good. Lovage!

#57 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Gail! I'm hanging in there and hopeful it will get better soon🤞. Hope you're OK

#58 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:31 PM

Doing the best I can. The rough thing is nausea. I tried them all,Zofran is great but not covered. 10.00 a pill.i tried the box with 10,five left....,
Thanks for asking Polly!! Lovage.

#59 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:50 PM

Sending lovage to you too Gail!

Can I ask - did you have bad stomach pains when you came off Cymbalta? The pain in the centre of my stomach is so uncomfortable today - it feels like someone is twisting my insides 😫. I'm using the hot water bottle on my stomach but it's not doing much for the pain. It's just making me sweat! Lol. No other withdrawals at the moment so I suppose I should be grateful! 3 weeks off tomorrow.

Thanks

Polly

#60 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:20 AM

Polly, all I had was intense anxiety and depression. A tough combo.

As you are experimenting so few side effects, I think that your withdrawal won't last an eternity.

FH, anything can be done for her stomach? Thank you sir!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users