100 replies to this topic

#1 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off cymbalta...I hope to find a way to do it as easy as possible and be able to help other people afterwards.

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:44 AM

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on here for a while … I have been taking cymbata for almost 11 years now, started at 60mg and was down to 30mg about 5-6 years ago…. been trying to wean off VERY slowly for a very long time, sometimes, having to go down to 10mg and back up to 15mg depending on how I was feeling.. for the first time I am now down to about 21 beads which according to my capsules mean around 2.3mg... so far not many withdrawal symptoms although I feel I need to go slower now… I guess it's normal since I am getting near the end… it amazes me how pharmacists seem to not be aware at all of the issues around stopping this drug, my pharmacist the other day told me my dose was not even therapeutic as if I could just stop now… I am looking for advice on how to slowly wean off from here and what to expect when I go down to zero… I understand that even if I have no withdrawal symptoms at one bead I could still feel awful going from 1 to zero?  :(

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

Good tom hear from you sk8mom. You have indeed come a long ways. How fast have you been dropping recently?

#3 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off cymbalta...I hope to find a way to do it as easy as possible and be able to help other people afterwards.

Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:47 PM

Hi Fishinghat

I'm not exactly sure but I would say about a bead or two every few days… sometimes I stayed at the same amount for a week to make sure then drop one or two beads, sometimes, I'd drop another one about 2-3 days after,,  I think last night I was at 20 or 21 beads… but i've noticed a little drop in mood…  since going below 24 beads...

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:04 PM

I would suggest around 1 bead a week for two or three weeks and see how that goes.

#5 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:05 PM

Hi sk8mom...

I wasn't here when you first joined but I would like to also say a big welcome back. I remember seeing your name a few times when Hat and myself were compiling the eBook that we have recently finished.

Advice here would be to watch the rate at which you go for this last bit. Do not go up, then back down, then up etc. This will only make things worse. Drop and then stay for as long as you need to. Do not drop too early if you think you will need to go back up. Drop only when you are ready. There is no rhyme to how you need to drop, for example, one bead every week. If it is one bead in 5 days, then 2 weeks before the next drop, then not a problem. The important thing is that they are drops.

This is not to say you cannot go back up if things get really tough. Of course, this is doable, but really try not to. Supplement your ass off if need be - this is where we can help. Get yourself a copy of the eBook too as this will be some great reading for you at the moment.

IUN

#6 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:00 PM

Thanks again fishinghat and IUN.. where do I find the ebook?

#7 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:21 PM

Thanks again fishinghat and IUN.. where do I find the ebook?

Right here m'dear....

https://www.cymbalta...tion-the-ebook/

#8 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:43 PM

Thank You :)

#9 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

I have a question about the gel caps, if I want to put my other beads in other gel caps (to use that one cymbalta capsule many times) are there certain empty capsule that I need to look for? others that I shouldn't use? I have veggie caps here, what is the difference between veggie caps, gel caps ?

thanks

#10 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 03 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

Gel caps is often a shortened name for gelatine, or bovine capsules (unsuitable for vegetarians/vegans), whereas veggie use an alternative not derived from animals.

That said you need acid-resistant caps for your beads - also known as enteric coated capsules. There has been so much research going on by Hat, VinPin, myself and others as to what caps to use, and whilst some forms of the beads can be used in gel, it is better to err on the side of safety and get the enteric coated items. 

Loads more about this if you really want to know, but I am guessing you will have better things to do :D

#11 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:28 PM

Thanks IUN,

I was under the impression that the beads were already enteric coated…. I thought i read somewhere that there was no need to get enteric coated caps.,, so good to know, this is quite complicated… geez lol

I'm at 24 beads…. I need to stay here at least 2 weeks, I can feel a few withdrawal effects here and there during the day, not feeling exactly as good as I used to...

#12 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:50 PM

I was under the impression that the beads were already enteric coated…. I thought i read somewhere that there was no need to get enteric coated caps.

Some are and some aren't! That is the dilemma. Hat was compiling a list I think at some stage, but in its absence, it is better to go for the enteric-coated. That way even if it is not needed, the beads will still reach their correct destination before breaking down.

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:31 AM

Most capsules are gelatin and all beads are enteric. Gelatin is OK but given the adverse side effects if the beads dissolve in the stomach it may be a safer option to use enteric coated capsules.

#14 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:05 PM

thanks again .. this is so awful,,, although I am one of the lucky ones who seem to not have too many problems (fingers crossed) I hate to see what people are going through with this poison :(

I am at 24 beads now, (about 2.6mg) light dizziness, light anxiety in the morning, so I will stay at 24 for the next 2 weeks to make sure, I am using my essential oils on my pulse point in the morning which is enough to get rid of the light anxiety. slowly but surely.. I figure it will take another year (minimum) to be totally off…. then I'll have to tackle the remeron :unsure:

I know no one knows for sure, but if you taper this slowly, and don't have many withdrawal symptoms, any chances of the withdrawals appearing AFTER you are off the cymbalta? like 2 to 6 months after? could I then Get hit by a storm ?? I'm so scared of that ...

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

I won't lie to you sk8mom, my symptoms did not hit until the last bead and then lasted 9 months before I gave in and went on Zoloft. Most have there worst symptoms during the 3 or 4 months after their last dose. However, I remember that 2 or 3 that went real slow had few symptoms after their last dose.

#16 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:43 PM

Yes, the fact that you are going this slow bodes well for it working out in your favour. You occupy a very small majority of the withdrawal group going this slow, which is why we hear so many horror stories. 

I don't think luck has much to do with it and more of Hat's favourite words...

time and patience :)

#17 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

yayy… light anxiety and dizziness has stopped. been feeling good the last two days!!!

I did my excel sheet of 1 bead drop every 2 weeks from now on,,, not taking any chances at all.… I should be done by October 4th 2020... omg this is unreal,,, but time and patience is the key I guess…. thanks for all your support, you guys are amazing!!!

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:57 AM

Great news. You have hung in there tough. Proud of you.

#19 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:52 PM

Ditto. Slow is the way.

You said Hat's words!! I thought he had them trademarked on the forum, no?! :D

#20 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

withdrawal symptoms are showing up… I think I am going to have to go up again :(  been at 24 beads for about a week) symptoms are adding up… just found out they can show up later...I guess this is what's happening to me,,,, thinking of upping to about 33 beads…. thoughts ?

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

If you have been at 24 beads for about a week and are just now having bad symptoms I would suggest going up to 26 or 27 beads. The symptoms often come and go so you might think about toughing it out for a few more days to see if they let up.

#22 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:53 PM

Absolutely - three days after the drop would have leveled things out, so anything after that needs a bit of determination. If it really hit within the first 3 days of the drop then there would be a case for maybe a slightly higher dose, but I am with Hat. Try just a couple if you can...

#23 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:00 AM

omg I'M scared, wemt up 9 beads (33) fell asleep and woke up about 1.5 hours later in a mini panic attack :(  I can't be going through this again, I have to girls that need me healthy, I was doing so well, I should not have gone down so low I think… are these still withdrawal symptoms you think or did I go up too much ??? I can't beleive I was doing great up to 2 weeks ago :(

#24 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:40 AM

Thing is that the withdrawal is going to be up and down, and can often strike when least expected. Dare I say it, but you probably would have found that the symptoms from the last few days would have cleared up on their own. The levels take a few days to stabalise and then the brain needs to adapt. 

I doubt the beads would have acted that quickly, but perfectly possible. But you have gone up around 40% which is a LOT. Again, I would suggest you drop down to around 27 as of today and let a few days pass. It won't always be plain sailing and the same will not occur after each drop, but unfortunately you do need to be prepared for the few moments like this. You need to let your brain re-calibrate to the reduced dose. It is like having a plaster cast removed after a breakage. You start walking... it is painful.. things ache... but you don't put the case back on. You rest and let the muscles etc get back to normal use in their own time. Same applies.

I know this is tough to hear, but sometimes the best and quickest route is often painful. But we are here for you...

#25 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:11 AM

Thanks so much for being here IUN

I agree that i probably went too high, I was so scared of withdrawal I just wanted to go back to around the amount where I was well,,, I hardly slept all night… slept 1,5 hours and woke in a mini panic attack,  eventually fell back asleep for another 1,5 hours and been awake and anxious since 3:30am :(

I will go back down to 27 tonight… is it safe to do that ?

Also, what did you mean by: I doubt the beads would have acted that quickly?  I took my capsule around 9:30-10:00,,, woke up at 12:30

#26 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:11 AM

I really feel for you. I know that feeling all to well where you would give anything just for some relief of the returning symptoms. It is a really tough lesson. I, for example, had a near perfect weekend. Then this morning I feel completely flat again and I am trying to just let it be. It is the perfectionism in me expecting every day to be perfect, otherwise it is just plain awful...

Going back to 27 this evening will be fine, but make sure you stay there for a few days now to let things stablise...

#27 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:24 AM

Great posts IUN. Well done.

#28 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

Thank you Hat - your encouragement is always... er, encouraging!

Synonyms obviously fail me late in the day :)

#29 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:20 PM

Hi again you two :)

I am feeling better now, I am wondering what IUN meant when he said: I doubt the beads would have acted that quickly ?  I took the 33 beads around 9:30-10:00pm and woke up at 12:30am  I had a very anxious night (scary) but started to calm down around 11;00am noon.  I am thinking maybe it was the withdrawal getting worse (had been getting worse every day) and maybe taking the 9 more beads, slowed the withdrawals,,,, I'm hoping so...

I was one that never had any side effects from cymbalta and this is really making me question why I want to put myself through this if I feel great on 4-5 mg… isn't it better than trying to stop and making myself worse ? 

hope you have a good evening :)

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

Sounds about right to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users