260 replies to this topic

#211 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:20 AM

Has anyone tried a low dose antihistamine during withdrawal to manage symptoms? One I am looking at is Pheniramine

#212 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:28 AM

Many members have used antihistamines during withdrawal. many had success. The ebook is full of their results and comments. Just do a search for antihistamines.

Are you refering to Chlorpheniramine?

#213 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:01 PM

Yes this one ya - reason I ask is because I took a NeoCitran to help me sleep the other night and felt okay with it and I was just curious and looked it up and it appears they can be used as kind of like low functioning SSRIs. My psychiatrist also offered this to me last time and I am seeing him again tomorrow and thought about asking him.. ya I will check the eBook then. 

#214 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:19 PM

There are 9 types of NeoCitran. Can you tell me which one you took or its active ingredients?

Many contain dextromethorphan which acts as a mild ssri. Taking it with an antidepressant can cause serotonin syndrome. It also has a withdrawal as well. What level of Cymbalta are you on right now?

#215 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:30 PM

NeoCitran Extra Strength Cold & Sinus Night Time. Zero Cymbalta. 

#216 Driven

Driven

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

FH / All,

I am afraid I need some help here.  In combating this Cymbalta w/d, I'm really nervous that I have inadvertently developed a dependence to Ativan.  I have relied on Ativan 1-3 times a week in an effort to help me through the more severe days when the anxiety spikes to a point that I have a hard time controlling it as well as when the vision symptoms are really flaring.  That said, it almost feels like a pattern has developed the last two weeks where every ~3 days I get a pretty horrendous wave of symptoms that just don’t feel like the Cymbalta w/d that I’ve been battling for these 8 months.  The best I can describe it is that it is a bit more intense and seems like a shorter but more powerful wave.  It is hard to say if it is a wave that will pass since I’ve taken some dose of Ativan in nearly every instance this has happened in the last month or so (and it has helped quite dramatically). 

Here is my Ativan usage in the last month.  I probably made an error earlier in the month on taking a full 1mg on the days that I did and should have instead started with a .5 or even .25mg dosage. Prior to this usage below, I was not taking it but a few times early on in the Cymbalta w/d.

Ativan Usage

3/2     .125mg (just took it)

2/28   .25mg

2/25   .5mg

2/22  .25mg

2/20  .5mg

2/16  .5mg  

2/10  1mg

2/6    .5mg

2/2   1mg

*the prior usage has been either a .5mg (half tablet) or 1mg usage 1-2 times per week which went on for around 3-4 weeks prior to this as well.

My doctor said there is no way that I’d develop a dependence to it at that usage.  Based on my research, the half-life of Ativan is 12 hours and will be fully out of ones system in 2.75 days.  I’m now scared shitless that may be what I’m experiencing these last 10-14 days since about every 3 days is when I keep getting this damn wave. 

Symptoms:
-Very intense pressurized headache on top/back of head where my head feels SUPER heavy.

-Off the charts waves of anxiety that feels pretty out of control.

-Waves of very dark thoughts that coincide with the anxiety.  Also pretty intense depression.
-My cognitive thinking rapidly declines during these same waves.  Almost like my brain just shuts down.

-Hot flashes and start to sweat from my forehead.

I HATE these drugs and the predicament I am in.  I don't want to begin taking Ativan now just to combat a potential w/d from it but I don't want to also get thrown into a benzo w/d and be dealing with more intensity on top of my 

I am still on the 5mg of Zyprexa in the evening and have been consistent with that for nearly 3 months now.  Also have been trying 25-50mg of hydroxyzine in an effort to stay away from the Ativan as well.

What do you think based on the info that I've provided?  It's hard to know but I am still in pretty severe shape overall.  This week marks 8 months off the rapid Cymbalta taper.  I'd give anything to go back in time and have a "do over".  

#217 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:35 PM

DT

NeoCitran Extra Strength Cold & Sinus Night Time
Acetaminophen
Pheniramine
Phenylephrine

The ebook has a lot of information on phenylephrine which helps control adrenaline BUT in about 10% of people it causes severe anxuety. You can read members comments on it.

Pheniramine
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24673474
Good for improving sleep but no effect on anxiety.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16492663
https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/4390069
Can be addictive and cause dependance.

Pheniramine decreases the release of adrenaline. Wiki

#218 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:44 PM

Well driven...

The description is a familiar one for Ativan dependence/withdrawal BUT your dr is right you should have little or no addiction at that level of usage. It should be pointed out that some are more easily addicted than others.

Below is your description of the symptoms and after each one I have made a comment to its likelihood of Ativan withdrawal.

Symptoms:
-Very intense pressurized headache on top/back of head where my head feels SUPER heavy. (unusual)

-Off the charts waves of anxiety that feels pretty out of control. (most common symptom and if the Ativan brings complete relief with in an hour or hour and a half than that is a sure sign of addiction)

-Waves of very dark thoughts that coincide with the anxiety. Also pretty intense depression.(Dark thoughts yes, depression not typically)

-My cognitive thinking rapidly declines during these same waves. Almost like my brain just shuts down. (Typical)

-Hot flashes and start to sweat from my forehead. (typical)

Don't panic it can be addressed but you have to get over the Cymbalta withdrawal first.

#219 Driven

Driven

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:55 PM

FH,

Thank you.  I really do appreciate it.  I am pretty scared.  I can't take on an ativan w/d on top of Cymbalta at this point.  I am still pretty uncomfortable from Cymbalta and just don't know what is what at this point in terms of w/d.  I do know that I am pretty miserable and struggling to keep up with my job and family responsibilities. 

Do you think I should just try to continue as I have and maybe slowly inch away from the Ativan every 3-4 days (or more)?  Or am I at risk of causing more damage by doing that route?  Do you think there is less severity of Ativan w/d for someone like myself who has been taking it sporadically?  I just can't imagine starting to take a small dose every day at this point just to stabilize but it may have to come to that?

I guess i'm just trying to get some thoughts on how to proceed.

Also, with all my vision issues, I am really struggling with blurred vision that comes and goes through the day.  I am so scared that I've permanently messed up my vision.  Nothing really looks right and now blurred vision is on top of the other depth perception issues and MAJOR floaters.  Maybe the blurred vision is now partly from Ativan or Zyprexa as I do know it has gotten worse in the last couple of weeks.

Driven

#220 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,212 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:58 PM

Hi Driven,

Just dropping a note to say that I am here in the background, but not much I can say in addition to what Hat has been doing. You are in my thoughts and prayers...

IUN

#221 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:37 PM

Oh boy - hmm. I don't like the idea that the antihistamine can cause dependence. If I do decide to try it, will it affect my healing time or will I still heal? Or being it acts like an SSRI is it going to change the synapses shape again? 

#222 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:25 AM

"Do you think I should just try to continue as I have and maybe slowly inch away from the Ativan every 3-4 days (or more)?"

You took 4 5/8 mg in 29 days so that is an average of 0.165 mg/day. That is next to nothing. To put it in perspective I can come off 1.0 mg of Ativan (lorazepam) in about 2 years so you do have to go very slow in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms. I can work you up a procedure to do this if you want but I would hate to complicate your withdrawal from Cymbalta. I would recommend that you take a low dose on a regular schedule in order to avoid the crash every 3 days or so. "Inching away" does not work by the way. If you do that you will raise your blood levels high when you take it and then crash for the next few days only to repeat the withdrawal over and over. A slow drop in dosage is much more practicle.

"Do you think there is less severity of Ativan w/d for someone like myself who has been taking it sporadically?"
Your withdrawal will should certainly be less severe.

"I just can't imagine starting to take a small dose every day at this point just to stabilize but it may have to come to that?"
That would be the best method.

"Also, with all my vision issues, I am really struggling with blurred vision that comes and goes through the day. I am so scared that I've permanently messed up my vision. Nothing really looks right and now blurred vision is on top of the other depth perception issues and MAJOR floaters. Maybe the blurred vision is now partly from Ativan or Zyprexa as I do know it has gotten worse in the last couple of weeks."
More likely the ups and downs in ativan may be contributing.

"I don't like the idea that the antihistamine can cause dependence. If I do decide to try it, will it affect my healing time or will I still heal? Or being it acts like an SSRI is it going to change the synapses shape again?"
It will not slow down your healing and it does not change the shape of synapses. It blocks the adrenaline receptors thus reducing anxiety. Most dependence is due to relatively high doses. I would suggest you use this on an as needed basis to get a breif period of releif.

#223 Driven

Driven

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:38 PM

FH,

I appreciate the thoughtful input.  Your recommendation of taking a low dose consistently is something I was afraid you were going to say and i will have to think on that.  You know me at this point, i am truly scared of medication and I've been fighting this w/d hard to stay away but this might be the right play.

I can work up a taper if I decide to go this route but I do have a couple questions.

1.  Specifically for Ativan, would you recommend liquid or dry pill tapering by weight?  
2.  Given my low and very sporadic use...what daily dosage would you recommend I start at?  I was sort of thinking .25mg/day but I'm guessing my body is going to dictate the answer when relief is accomplished.

I honestly think that I am right on the verge of dependence.  I may try a few more days to see what transpires to see if I can ride it out.  Biggest fear is some ridiculous protracted w/d like I am experiencing w/ Cymbalta based on my CNS being so destabilized.  I will say that Ativan has always helped my anxiety even with VERY intermittent use so I'm not sure I can use that as a guide.  And yes, anxiety does indeed calm down when I take a dose here recently...ugh.  

Thanks for all of your input through this entire journey.  I appreciate it.

Driven

#224 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:32 AM

1. Specifically for Ativan, would you recommend liquid or dry pill tapering by weight?

Definitely use water titration.

2. Given my low and very sporadic use...what daily dosage would you recommend I start at? I was sort of thinking .25mg/day but I'm guessing my body is going to dictate the answer when relief is accomplished.

I would start with the 0.165 mg per day. I found that dropping .01 mg every 3 days is very safe.

Normally riding it out is not something I would advise but at your dosage it is a consideration. Normally it takes withdrawal symptoms about 3 to 4 weeks to fade after making a drop so from that if you went cold turkey from your current dose it may only last a couple of months. Risky. You can also take small amounts of Ativan (just a few crumbles off of a tablet to give you some relief) along the way.

#225 Driven

Driven

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:07 PM

FH / All,

Thank you.  I'm struggling really hard and not sure where things are heading at the moment.  My wife is so frustrated and just wants her husband back.  I'm on the edge of losing a lot in my life...mainly because of not following the correct taper protocol for the damn Cymbalta.  We had no idea and I'm trying to let go of the anger toward the doctors that I consulted with...  My family is at a loss on why I'm so dang anxious all the time and now the deep depression.  They believe I am manifesting my symptoms and there is no way that I'd still be experiencing w/d from Cymbalta at 8 months off.  I feel like I am alone on an island as I'm the only one that can comprehend what I'm feeling in my head.

I've basically been taking a tiny crumb of ativan every day since my post above except for taking .5mg on Saturday which did help a lot.  My brain is so fogged that I'm not even sure how to start a liquid taper at such a low dose of .165mg or some similar dose.  I can run the excel file on dosing but I've never liquid tapered.  Do you have any links to liquid taper recommendation for such a low dose?  To clarify, you came off 1mg of ativan over a 2 year taper and you did get off without much trouble? 

At this point, I've been having SEVERE anxiety and pretty heavy depression over the last 3-4 weeks that has almost turned into a debilitating level (as in really struggling at work and home life). 

Current Symptoms:

1. Anxiety - Went from moderate to SEVERE when the eye issues ramped back up about a month ago.  Anxiety is the worst from early morning until early evening.  It is primarily driven by fear of the future and not know how long or if ever these symptoms will go away.
  2. Depression - I've had MANY very low days recently due to the w/d and it's ripple effect it has had on everything important in my life.
  3. Head fog - better than several weeks ago but I certainly don't feel like myself at all.  Have had some really crushing headaches that really almost paralyze me mentally for a bit.  They pass but it is not a fun experience.
  4. Vision - This alone as a symptom is causing a ton on anxiety and depression.  Something is just still not quite right with my depth perception or ability to really focus on what I'm looking at.  It is so hard to explain but it has not gone away except for the short trial period with Prozac where that actually improved for a few weeks. 
  5. Eye Floaters - Here is a link that shows an example of what I am experiencing wrt floaters.  The density of my floaters are not quite this bad but honestly a good 75% of what this shows and that is not an exaggeration.  They basically sit in the center of my vision like it does in the video.  https://www.youtube....NbvVuGRAonbi4sk .

I was really hoping to be further along at over 8 months off.  I am living in this state of fear that I believe is driving a majority of the symptoms but the anxiety is the worst of them all.  I hate to say it, but I am considering talking to my doctor about some other/additional medication to help with the anxiety.  We talked few months ago about trying Lexapro if the Prozac didn't work (which it didn't) but I never pursued the Lexapro.  I am only on the 5mg of Zyprexa and random dosing of the ativan at this point.

I'm praying daily for relief but I'm losing some of my fight.  I am basically in crisis mode with my family and will consider any suggestions or positive insight that anyone has...I'm embarrassed to ask for so much help on a forum but things are pretty rough right now. 

Thanks,

Driven

#226 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 March 2020 - 04:54 PM

"To clarify, you came off 1mg of ativan over a 2 year taper and you did get off without much trouble?"

I had no withdrawal symptoms at all.

I am currently coming off 6 mg daily of Ativan (down to 0.6 mg) and have had no symptoms but have been on a slow liquid taper for 5 years plus. No withdrawal.

Let me ask you a few questions.

How are you compared to 3 months ago?
Did the depression start with the Zyprexa?
Do you have a history of depression before Cymbalta?
How old are you?

You are right, at 8 months you should definitely be further along than this.
I can't tell is this is a real bad Cymbalta withdrawal, a side effect of the Zyprexa (which can happen) or from the Ativan (unlikely).

I will be glad to work You up a liquid titration for your Ativan but it will have to be Wednesday as I will be unavailable most of tomorrow. I hope you can wait.

#227 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 March 2020 - 04:56 PM

Driven, forgive me, I know I have mentioned this before but have you tried hydroxyzine or clonidine?

#228 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 March 2020 - 05:01 PM

OK, went back and looked at your posts. I see where you tried 25 to 50 mg of hydroxyzine with little effect. The minimum recommended dose is 25 mg every 6 hours with your dose at 50 mg at bedtime. Thus us minimum. For withdrawal most drs would do

up to 50 mg 4 times a day and maximum dose is 100 mg 4 times per day.  Do you still have any left over?

#229 Driven

Driven

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 05:34 PM

FH,

Thank you for asking the clarifying questions...

1.  How am I compared to 3 months ago?
Sleep is WAY better.  Cognitive functioning is somewhat better.  Still having some days of heavy fog.  The sharp head pains are way better.  The anxiety was getting better slowly but it has ramped way up again.  Alot if it is honestly tied to the vision/floaters which is a bit embarassing.  Depression is the worst it has been this entire w/d.

2. Depression?

It started around the 6 month off mark but got really bad about 1 month ago (7 months off).  I just have this massive hopeless feeling about a lot of stresses in my life.  I'm REALLY scared that I may have permanently messed up my vision due to the weird symptoms and all the floaters.  I am also scared about the Zyprexa causing more harm that good and scared that then I have to taper off over year(s).  There could be a correlation there as i've been on Zyprexa just over 3 months and I'd say the depression (and anxiety) have been really bad the last two months.  

3.  History of Depression?
No history whatsoever.  I had some stress pop up out of nowhere in back over a year ago that caused me to lose sleep and anxiety got out of control.  I had never had anxiety issues prior to this...The lack of sleep caused alot of issues fast (2-3 weeks) and I was recommended to try Cymbalta for some OCD thoughts and help sleep.  it did just that and things improved quickly.  Then the rapid taper happened and it is like a bomb went off.  I never really had any depression start up until about 2 months off completely and then it crept in and hasn't left.

4.  I am 41 years old.  

5.  Yes, I have a prescription for hydroxyzine and will ramp up my dosage as I've been trying it sporadically.  I've only tried 50mg here and there and an occasional 25mg but I don't think I've ever taken more than 75mg a day.  My p-doc is also suggesting this as well.  I will try to increase my dosage for the tough times.

All in all, the underlying thing here that I can't emphasize enough is the stress in my personal life.  Lots of stress at home and work stress that is all inter-twined as I work for family business.  It has been really challenging and I feel like I'm almost starting to suffer PTSD type feelings from this w/d and the fact that I'm sort of in shock that I'm still in this predicament.  

Everyone does recover...right?  AT least recovers to a livable baseline?

Thanks,

Kurt

#230 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:21 AM

Good info. I will try to get back to you this evening.

#231 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 March 2020 - 03:57 PM

1. Overall encouraging in general.

2. 3.9% of those who take Zyprexa report that it caused depression.

3. WOW That is critical information. This has got to be either withdrawal or a side effect of Zyprexa My bet would be the Zyprexa given the timing and that you did not have withdrawal earlier in the withdrawal. More to follow.

4. Let me know how it goes. The hydroxyzine should help with the anxiety but not the depression.

5. The stress in your personal life will greatly slow your recovery.

Yes, all do recover the majority of the way back to normal. I would point out that research shows that around 7 to 12% of those suffering withdrawal actually have an underlying cause that makes it much worse. Mine was low testosterone for example. The ebook has a list of routine tests that can be done to eliminate most of he common ones. It also contains a list of things that showed up on blood tests that once addressed helped the recovery. I will see if I can find that info and post it here.

More to follow.

#232 DThiessen

DThiessen

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:08 PM

I would also love to see that info FH - that is y next course of action, getting some more specific bloodwork done as I have also experienced a SLOWWWW recovery

#233 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:17 PM

I do not know if you are still on Seroquel or not but I found two things.

Moderate
OLANZapine  QUEtiapine

Applies to: Zyprexa (olanzapine), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using OLANZapine together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as drowsiness, blurred vision, dry mouth, heat intolerance, flushing, decreased sweating, difficulty urinating, abdominal cramping, constipation, irregular heartbeat, confusion, and memory problems.

As I said before 3.9% report depression as a side effect of Zyprexa. In addition 5% of those taking Seroquel report depression as a side effect. And those reporting depression as a side effect for Zyprexa 18% were also taking Seroquel. Coincidence?

#234 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:22 PM

Nutritional Blood Tests for Causes for Anxiety and/or Depression.

Medical Screening for People with Psychiatric Complaints.

1/15/2019

⦁ Studies show that between 10 and 47% of those going to the psychiatrist for a "mental illness" actually have their illness caused by or made worse by a medical condition.

⦁ Of the 54 Cymbalta Withdrawal members who had "blood tests" run a total of 43 had at least 1 abnormal blood test result.

⦁ Of the 43 which had an abnormal blood test 13 discovered that it was the cause or a significant contributor to their mental illness and/or withdrawal symptoms and most of the rest did not mention if it contributed.

⦁ Rightdiagnosis.com has identified 754 medical conditions that can cause anxiety symptoms and 589 medical conditions that can cause symptoms of depression.

⦁ There are 11 vitamins and 10 minerals in which high and/or low amounts can cause anxiety and/or depression. There is also 6 amino acids, Omega 3 and 6, cholesterol and/or triglycerides, reproductive hormones, thyroid, parathyroid and pituitary enzymes that can cause these conditions.

All can be determined by a simple blood test.

Fighting Cymbalta withdrawal is bad enough but to add a medical condition to the situation can make it a lot worse. Considerable research has been done to determine how much of the Treatment Resistant Anxiety/Depression is actually due to a medical condition rather than a psychiatric cause (stress). By all accounts it is a significant cause of Treatment Resistance.
Studies on the percentage of "mental illnesses" that are due to medical conditions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28326870
A total of 947 subjects met our inclusion criteria, 14.6% having a final liaison diagnosis of organic mental disorder (medical causes not psychiatric causes).

https://www.alternat...ical-illness-2/
The reader should note that this article only covers standard medical causes of mental symptoms and does not include many other physical causes, such as nutritional imbalances and metabolic abnormalities

It should also be noted that some studies have shown that, when extensive testing is done, medical causes may account for substantially more than 10% of patients with mental symptoms (particularly Hall [reporting a 46% causal connection], American Journal of Psychiatry, 1980 and Koranyi, Archives of General Psychiatry, 1979).
Bibliography is available at the end of the article linked to above.

Ex.-Johnson (1968) performed detailed physical exams on 250 patients admitted to an inpatient psychiatric unit. 12% of these patients were admitted to the psychiatric unit for problems that seemed to be caused by physical illness
80% of these had been missed by physician before admission
6.6% were initially missed even after the admission workup
60% had abnormal physical findings

Ex.-Hall (1978) performed a detailed assessment on 658 consecutive psychiatric outpatients – 9.1% had a significant medical illness-

Ex.-Slater (1965) studied 85 patients (32 men and 53 women) diagnosed as having “hysteria” – follow up 7-11 years. More than a third proved to have organic disease

Ex.-Sox et. al. (1989) did a thorough medical evaluation on 509 patients in community mental health programs in California.- 200 (or 39%) had at least one active, important, physical disease, Staff at the mental health program was aware of only 47% of these. Research program discovered previously undiagnosed, important diseases in 63 of these patients. 14% had medical illness that was causing or exacerbating their mental illness

Ex.-Koran performed thorough medical assessments on 529 patients drawn from eight community mental health centers in California. 17% were found to have an organic condition that either caused or exacerbated the emotional symptoms for which the person was being treated.

Ex.-Bartsch et. al. performed a comprehensive evaluation on 175 clients from two Colorado CMHCs. A previously undiagnosed physical health problem was found in 20% of the clients. 16% had conditions that could cause or exacerbate their mental disorder. 19 clients had a metabolic abnormality (elevated calcium, etc.).
7 clients had a neurological disorder (memory loss, post concussion syndrome, etc.) 7 clients had an adverse medication effect. 4 clients had some other disorder, including cancer
Conservative estimates suggest that 10% of persons initially seen in outpatient settings for psychological symptoms have an organic disease causing the symptoms. This figure is higher in the elderly, in persons with certain diagnosis such as hysteria, and much higher in inpatient settings.

#235 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:25 PM

Items proceeded by an asterisk are analysis that are routinely performed by many Psychiatrists.

Omega 3 and 6

Amino Acids
to include...
Tryptophan
Threonine
Isoleucine
Methionine
Phenylalanine
Tyrosine

Vitamins
to include...
C
*D
E
*B vitamins

Minerals
Calcium
Iron
Magnesium
Potassium
Sodium
Zinc
Manganese
Selenium

Lipid Profile
Cholesterol
Triglycerides

Misc.
Choline
Flouride

Psychiatrists also often perform the following tests
Testosterone
Estrogen
*Thyroid Function (TSH, t3 and t4)
Liver Function - (FH - The AD manufacturers usually recommend an annual Liver Function Test (LFT) to keep an eye on that issue.
Parathyroid Function
Pituitary Function

#236 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:29 PM

Blood test abnormalities found by members.

Wagtail - Just over a year ago I put myself in the care of a highly recommended
integrative GP ,who has helped me a great deal . A few weeks ago he ordered
special blood tests to be done on me . These blood tests aren't done regularly
because Medicare refuse to pay for them or even pay any rebate . I had to
pay for them myself & was quite pleased to do so $300 & worth every cent
!. The results came back yesterday & not surprisingly to me , it appears
that I have the autoimmune disease "Hashimoto thyroiditis"; possibility
is , that I have had it for most of my life like my daughter .

Bearfan - She also ordered some blood tests. I had an abnormality here. On my Vitamin D
levels, I was extremely low. The normal range is >50, and mine were only 5.
So she had to prescribe me a high dose of Vitamin D that I have to take once a
week, then after a month I take a slightly lower dose once a day. And continue
to do that for 3 months until get my levels checked again.

Conditions which Members have found that caused their mental health issues or made their withdrawal worse.
LDN
I felt like my body couldn’t take them any more, my testosterone had dropped and I wasn’t really feeling things.

Jenibee
"I was given Cymbalta for anxiety/depression way back then, which now it turns out I never actually had--I have a thyroid condition which went undiagnosed (until late last year) and that is what was causing my symptoms of anxiety and depression."

Sk8rmama24
It has been a battle, and I have had multiple healthcare providers tell me I am just having anxiety, or stressed, and one even wrote " ? hypochondria" in my medical record. I persisted though, and ironically, the doctor that referred me to a psychologist for hypochondria (on my first visit no less, with no exam or complete health history) also ordered some bloodwork and a nerve conduction test. My initial bloodwork came back with abnormal results and I wish I could have seen the look on his face when he reviewed the labs.
Long-story short, I have the antibodies and markers for an autoimmune disease, plus an acute Epstein Barr viral infection, which I never had before because I have no antibodies to it, just the early antigen testing and presence of the virus came back positive.

Hel
My specialist discovered the underlying diseases causing my POTS, which are Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and mitochondrial disorder.
sk8rmama24 Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:36 PM
As of September 7, 2018 I have been diagnosed with celiac disease; an autoimmune condition where ingestion of gluten, a protein, causes an immune response that leads to intestinal damage that results in digestive malabsorption and nutrient deficiency and malnutrition.

Posted by Vinpin on 10 December 2018 - 04:44 PM
Got preliminary blood test results back from the doctor - not the best. My main concern is my low white blood cell count, but I also have high cholesterol, low Vitamin D & B12 levels and a high potassium level.

needoffthisdrug0326 on 30 September 2018
I had some lab work last week and everything was normal except my iron was slightly low and my vitamin D was also low

Posted by Cjmansf on 24 April 2018 - 02:06 PM
Low vitamin D which I am addressing.

Posted by brzghoff on 14 April 2018 - 01:16 PM
i just started seeing it in my labs. thats how we found out I was vitamin D deficient

Posted by notsobad on 10 October 2017 - 11:55 AM in Nutritional Support
My vitamin D levels were extremely low...they've improved but are still low, so the doctor put me on a super dose for couple months. The day after taking 50000 IU of vitamin D3 I suddenly feel like a normal person, like I'm able to rationally think about my day and do activities without getting mentally and physically fatigued. Life just feels normal and not difficult.

Posted by MrsGriffin on 17 August 2017 - 07:43 PM
In addition to my serotonin being low, lab work revealed that my Vitamin D levels were low so I have been taking a Vit D3 supplement

Posted by fishinghat on 15 August 2016
If you read some of my previous posts you will note that I have dropped taking my magnesium lately. It got too high and my calcium too low.

Posted by okcarmen on 23 February 2013 - 05:02 AM
and I also have an incredibly low iron level. My iron level is 12 when a normal one is at least 128.

Posted by CatLover on 03 July 2016
It came back with a B12 level that was extremely low and I had Iron deficiency anemia so bad she almost sent me to the hospital to get the iron.

Posted by houseofmiro on 26 September 2014 - 06:58 AM
I now have to go and get B12 shots for the next month or so as my B12 and Iron levels have tanked.

Posted by Sufferinsilence on 01 February 2014 - 08:37 PM
not only is my iron count on a mere 8 when it's meant to be a low of 15 and hight of 150 making me achy dizzy and extremely tired and emotional I am feeling mostly all withdrawals from lack of cymbalta but my blood tests also reveal I have a virus of some sort,

Posted by melly on 20 April 2012 - 02:04 PM
I also forgot to mention that my blood pressure is up and my iron count is low.

Posted by Sam I am on 19 January 2011
Personally, I was told I was low on iron, so a natural source iron supplement worked for me there

Posted by Debbie M. on 20 July 2010
I got severely anemic and had to go on iron supplements. My reading was 9.

Posted by Junior on 08 June 2010
yesterday I was getting a blood test done because my iron count is a little low

Posted by Lindarrr on 01 May 2010
My doctor had me do some blood tests and found that I was iron deficient and had amaemia, which was probably why I was so sleepy and exhausted all the time. I ended up having an iron infusion

Posted by scarydays on 12 May 2013 - 04:14 AM
The test showed low potassium and they had give me lots of fluid,

Posted by Uriel on 06 November 2012 - 08:24 PM
There were other things like my minerals were all messed up so i was on potassium and magnesium . Its amazing what that drug screws around with

Posted by eearley on 11 July 2011 - 11:14 AM
He's had patients end up in ICU from withdrawing cold turkey. My potassium level was dangerously low and they gave me a mega dose to help bring it up, along with 2 bags of IV fluid to help with the dedydration.

Posted by tired08 on 15 April 2008 - 10:35 AM
However this particular doctor didn't deny that this could be caused from the cymbalta withdrawl. bad enouh that something could be wrond but not bad enough to keep me. I waa dehydrated and low potassium they gave me something for that and sent me home to see the cardiologist which is what I was trying to do before going to the ER.

Posted by Alicemarie on 26 April 2013 - 05:27 PM
By the 5th day I was in the emergency room. I seriously thought my body was shutting down. What they found at the emergency room was low sodium, chloride and calcium and a high lactic acid level (lactic acidosis indicates that your body is not getting enough oxygen.

Posted by Uriel on 21 October 2012 - 04:02 PM
The main thing my tests showed was I had no selenium this is what helps you sleep and no Lyzime which is natural lithium ,

Posted by Hel on 10 December 2018 - 06:49 PM
blood test showed abnormal thyroid, anemia

Posted by jenibee on 23 July 2018 - 02:40 PM
At this point, yes, we are presuming everything was caused by the thyroid issue....

Posted by Bkc26 on 16 July 2018
Withdrawal Symptoms:
Thyroid tests erratic

Posted by CatLover on 09 February 2017 - 02:32 PM
My thyroid levels are now perfect but my liver enzymes are continuing to rise. I now have to go get an ultrasound of my liver. Could the fatty liver be a result of the Cymbalta? I am sure the hypoT is, as I didn't have it at all until I weaned off Cymbalta.

Posted by jealbrecht on 27 September 2014 - 03:10 PM
I also started to take synthroid again (in the last week) since my thyroid hormone tests showed I was low T4 and my hair has started to really thin out (or is that another Cymbalta withdrawal symptom?).
I had labs done at the end of May, and last week - so 4 months apart. Over all cholesterol # is fine, but the LDL-P and small LDL-P have risen, along with glucose, but not bad on that. It was 90, now is 95. The Hemoglobin A1c is .1 above normal (that measure the body's ability to process sugar over the past 3 months.)
My thyroid is a little off, but we've been working on that with bio-identical meds for a while.

Posted by Amybc7 on 24 July 2014 - 05:18 PM in What are you feeling?
I'm taking a chance and reaching out there - does anyone else have issues with their Thyroid? This is a new deal for me - and sadly the challenge of regulating my thyroid coincides with my withdrawal.

Posted by ofarrells7 on 27 March 2017
but everything has come back normal except for a slightly elevated liver enzyme.

Posted by CatLover on 09 February 2017
My thyroid levels are now perfect but my liver enzymes are continuing to rise. I now have to go get an ultrasound of my liver.

Posted by Justoffcymbandwellb on 15 March 2016
my Prolactin levels are about 20% high on all the labs I've done recently

Posted by fishinghat on 23 June 2014
High estrogen and prolactin.

Posted by TWhil195 on 10 September 2014
My cortisol levels this time around were sky high

Posted by Goldie on 19 October 2008 - 10:43 PM
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreaciated. My cortisol levels are high, but the doctors tell me everything else is normal

Posted by EBB on 21 August 2018 - 12:18 AM
We got the results and her estrogen is high and progesterone and testosterone are low.

Posted by pelycosaurus on 24 September 2011
I got my labs done and i have really high testosterone and low vitamin D.

Posted by Bulldog on 04 August 2009 - 02:11 PM
He ordered a testosterone test and found out it was very low. It was the answer to a lot of the issues I was having. Had a ton of blood work done and found out my testosterone is still low and that I am Vit"D" deficient and that my liver is reading high levels.

Posted by ratdog on 31 March 2008
I have found my thyroid is hypo, my testosterone is low, and have NO energy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#237 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:31 PM

Are you still taking Seroquel and if so what dosage and frequency. I also would like to have the same info for the Zyprexa please.

#238 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,212 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:04 PM

Driven/DT....

Apologies for silence for last few days - work got the better of me and only just catching up on forum tonight. Unfortunately the work is the priority although I would much rather it not be - but money being a factor is a force of life that cannot be avoided - especially when you wife is too ill to work.

Just like you are saying about your wife wanting her husband back Driven. I obviously feel like this about my wife. I am nearing the finish line of recovery and she is still stuck in the proverbial black hole. 

My goodness that floaters video is so well rendered. Although mine are more dispersed, this is just what I see if there isn't enough detail in my environment to disguise them. The sky is the worst... and the motorway/freeway. Regarding the other symptoms, I would of course suggest what I suggested a long time ago. During this period of my withdrawal it was a godsend... I have a friend who works for the NHS mental health team and when he sits in on interventions and home visits, he just wants to tell them to use the "special K", but of course he can't. He himself is very anxious and uses it... an employee of the NHS!! He also smokes the "leaf" too - but I cannot condone that - it is not good for you.

Looks like Hat has got your info where he needs it. I can really understand your position about the medication, and once again, this is EXACTLY where I was. I was so scared of going anywhere near anything, which is why I went back to Citalopram as it was the only thing I could trust that wuoldn't give me any issues having taken it for 10 years or so before all this started. I really do understand and I wish you the very best.

I will keep up to speed on the discussion here and weigh in where needed with opinions as needed.

IUN

#239 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:50 AM

OK Driven. I am now working on a detailed water titration method for you and will post it as soon as I am done.

#240 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:35 AM

Water Titration

I had previously stated ..."I would start with the 0.165 mg per day. I found that dropping .01 mg every 3 days is very safe."

I assume you have 1 mg tablets.

Place 1 mg Ativan in 1000 ml of water. I use a large glass measuring cup to measure out the water and pour it into a quart jar along with the 1 mg tablet.

Stir and allow tablet to dissolve. Note - Ativan is not water soluble so the medicine is actually in the very fine particles in solution. Solution must be stirred each time a dose is taken.

Stir this solution and while particles are still suspended remove 175 ml and add back 175 ml of water using a graduated cylinder (Amazon has these) or a measuring cup that will measure that amount accurately. I recommend a graduated cylinder. This is your 'stock solution'. Store your stock solution in the refrigerator.

This will provide 0.165 mg of Ativan per day by taking 50 ml every 6 hours. BE SURE TO MIX SOLUTION BEFORE POURING EACH OF YOUR DOSES. I pour ml 50 ml dose into a 50 ml vial.
See....
https://www.amazon.c...,aps,199&sr=8-5
or...
https://www.amazon.c...aps,199&sr=8-18

This stock solution will last you 5 days.

Each time you make a new stock solution remove 10 ml more than the time before.

eg. So initially you dissolve 1 mg in 1000 ml of water, remove 175 ml of solution and add back 175 ml of water.

When that stock solution is gone then dissolve 1 mg of Ativan in water and remove 185 ml of solution and replace with 185 ml of water.

The next time remove 195 ml of solution and add back 195 ml of water. And so on and so forth.

Now, don't panic. I understand that this will take 500 days to totally wean but after you have down to the replacement of 195 mls of solution (the third stock solution) and if you are having no problems we will go to removing 11 mls with each new stock solution and then 12 ml with the next stock solution and so forth. So slowly, very slowly,  you will wean faster and faster until you feel a little symptoms setting in. First symptoms will be nightmares and nervousness. At that point we will back off on the drop rate and continue on. I will walk you through this as we go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users