73 replies to this topic

#31 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

Thanks IUN. Hope you've had a good weekend.

Polly

#32 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 07:16 AM

A quick update. The stomach pain got really bad overnight and woke me up at 3 am, so I went back to the doctor's.

She has referred me for an urgent scan and I'm having blood tests tomorrow. She's given me some co-codamol for the pain in the meantime. She mentioned the possibility of it being gallbladder problems. All I know is that it's very painful ๐Ÿ˜ซ. Maybe it's nothing to do with withdrawal after all.

Will keep you posted.

Polly

#33 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:02 AM

Polly, looking forward that update, thanks!

#34 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:42 AM

Hmmmm... glad I was pushing for you to see someone now.

Gallbladder is very specific pain under the lower right rib area. Wrong symptoms for it to be a stone - but could be different in your case.

Glad this is getting the attention it needs. Prayers continue for you.

IUN

#35 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:33 PM

Thanks IUN. I've just been for a Shiatsu massage, which is based on Chinese medicine. She feels it's both emotional and physical with me so worked on those points - primarily the liver and heart (in Chinese terms). She has given me some peppermint drops to take and given me other advice to alleviate the pain. She has also given me 2 small magnets to stick onto 2 points with plasters to see if that helps the pain. Will let you know how it goes.

I have the co-codamol but am wary about taking it after all the drugs the doctors have thrown at me during the last year.

How are you doing today?

Polly

#36 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:47 PM

Especially since codeine is very addictive although that is a pretty light dose.

#37 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:19 PM

What dose of codeine do the pills have? They will be 500mg paracetamol I expect and either 8, 16 or 32 codeine. The 8mg you can get OTC so don't be paying a prescription charge of ยฃ9 for them when you can get the same from the same pharmacy for about ยฃ2!!! The codeine turns into morhpene - thus a opiod, once to the liver stages, so the higher dose are very addictive...

#38 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

I think the common dose over here is 20 on the codeine but I may be wrong on that.

#39 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:15 AM

They are 500mg paracetamol and 8mg Codeine. I didn't pay the prescription charge thankfully but they still cost me ยฃ5.

#40 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:28 AM

An update from me. Just waiting to see the doctor now as my stomach pains are awful. I phoned this morning for my blood test results and was told that liver function and the tests for showing inflammation were all normal and the lady who gave me the results suggested I see the doctor as I'm still in a lot of pain. So here I am again๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ฅ. Still waiting for the iron and B12 results.

I really am at a loss as to what is causing this and co-codamol hasn't helped. Is it possible that this is all being caused by withdrawal and, if so, is there anything else I can do? It is always worse when I'm out so there is anxiety there. I am so fed up I could cry.

Thanks.

Polly

#41 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:08 PM

It is possible but unlikely given the amount of time you have been suffering these symptoms. There are several things to try but all of them include taking an additional serotonin control drug which could be disastrous for your withdrawal, complicate your recovery and further confuse this issue. If the co-codamol isn't helping you really need to see the dr. for sure.

#42 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:20 PM

Thanks FH. I have just seen the doctor. He said my blood tests are all normal, which is reassuring, and recommended trying Buscopan (an anti-spasmodic for stomach cramps) and to keep taking the Co-codamol. I only took one this morning and it made me feel quite sick. I will try another this evening. He said from where I'm having the pain it could well be gallstones and he is pushing through an appointment for an ultrasound scan. He has advised me to go to A & E (ER) if the pain gets worse. So I just have to grin a d bear it for now๐Ÿ˜ซ.

Have you ever known anyone have stomach issues for this long after stopping?

Thanks.

Polly

#43 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:44 PM

I think he may be on the right track. And no, I don't remember anyone having stomach pain for this long. Lets see what the dr say and the scan shows. Hang in there. If the co-codamol keeps making you sick when you take it (which isn't uncommon) then you may have to call the dr back and tell him you can't take it anymore.

#44 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

Thanks FH. I hope I don't have to wait too long for the scan. Did you say your stomach issues lasted for about 6 weeks? Where did you have the stomach pains, if you don't mind me asking? Sorry for all the questions, it's just that it is making me feel really down.

Thanks.

Polly

#45 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:11 PM

Pain right in the center of the chest where the stomach is. Right below the sternum. You could actually feel that my stomach was swollen and as hard as a rock. A lot of belching and pain.

#46 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:29 PM

Thanks. Mine is right in the centre of my chest - below my breastbone. I have also been having lower stomach pains. I really hope this is withdrawal and not gallstones, and passes soon. I also feel like I'm on red alert, on edge. 5 and a half weeks off. It's horrible.

Thanks.

Polly

#47 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

What happened about seeing the gastroenterologist? You can't get all the information you need from a blood test!!

With gallstones you would be in some serious agony. If it is in the centre where you describe there would be a stone already best part of the way through the bile duct. Is it in the same place each time, or does it move? Do you have pains radiating from the back of the ribcage area?

They at least need to do a barium test - what on earth is wrong with these people?! You need to come down hard on these people. I had three trips to the ER - the third in the back of an ambulance before they took me seriously and did a scan to find a hernia. Meanwhile, I had days of seriously intense pain.

This is getting silly and I'm worried for you...

#48 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:38 PM

Thanks IUN. I have been referred to the gastroenterologist but I need to wait for the appointment to come through- and I could have to wait weeks. I have been referred for an urgent ultrasound scan though. If I have to wait weeks or months to see the gastroenterologist my dad has kindly said he would pay for me but that would be the very last resort and I shouldn't have to do that๐Ÿ˜ฅ.

The pain is pretty much in the same place - in the centre of my chest, under the breastbone and sometimes more to the right. My lower stomach has also been really painful as well, which makes me question whether it is gallstones.

He examined my stomach and I nearly shot off the bed when he pressed on my lower stomach in particular. I am so confused and warn out๐Ÿ˜ฅ. I will go to A & E if it becomes unbearable though.

I hope you're having a good day and feeling better.

Polly

#49 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:42 PM

"He examined my stomach and I nearly shot off the bed when he pressed on my lower stomach in particular. I am so confused and warn out."

Oh, exactly. Mu lower GI tract discomfort was from gas in the intestines and was transient.

#50 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:55 PM

This could well be withdrawal then. I need to be patient but I'm not very good at it ๐Ÿ™„.

Thanks.

Polly

#51 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

One thing about it Polly, you are getting plenty of practice at being patient.  lol

#52 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:24 PM

I certainly am FH!๐Ÿ˜

#53 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:42 PM

Good grief.

Well plausible that it could be stone then. But it would be very coincidental given the onset of the withdrawal. It is all so up in the air. Well practice at being patient requires patience, so becomes a bit of an oxymoron... but I think you all understand what I am trying to say!!

But there are plenty of other methods of practicing patience that intense stomach pain - maybe watching paint dry?! It is like practicing pain and having your love spuds attacked by a blunt bread-knife...

#54 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:47 PM

Thanks IUN. I couldn't have put it better myself! Back to work tomorrow (with my hot water bottle๐Ÿ™„). Really not looking forward to that.

Hope you're OK.

Polly

#55 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:14 PM

Will be thinking of you, and remembering you in my morning prayers.

Keep strong dear one

#56 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:51 AM

Hi All

Hope you're having a peaceful Sunday.

So my issues are still continuing but have changed slightly. My stomach felt much better yesterday but the not being able to take a deep breath was worse. Then, last night, I ate some Greek yoghurt and feel like I really wish I hadn't today! I have this uncomfortable, and sometimes, stabbing feeling up under my left ribs and the shortness of breath.

Fishinghat you mentioned respiratory acidosis a while ago on one of my posts and said it could last 4-7 weeks. I am 6 weeks off tomorrow. Could this still be the case? I had a lot of anxiety with it yesterday and it didn't ease even when I was at home.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts on whether this is related to withdrawal at all please? Am awaiting an appointment for a gallbladder scan.

Thanks very much.

Polly

#57 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:02 AM

The respiratory acidosis can last a long time if not properly handled. Yogurt and especially Greek yogurt can increase stomach acidity and make the acidosis even worse.

Symptoms of Respiratory Acidosis

Symptoms may include:
Confusion
Anxiety
Easy fatigue
Lethargy
Shortness of breath
Sleepiness
Tremors (shaking)
Warm and flushed skin
Sweating

Things to consider doing
Low acid food diet.
Deep breathing as well.

#58 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:07 AM

Please be sure and remember, I am not a dr so this is not a diagnosis. It is just a possibility and should be addressed by your dr.

#59 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:09 AM

Thanks Fishinghat. I have pretty much all of those symptoms. It's put my mind at rest a bit but I need to sort it out. I have just received the Acid Watchers diet book so will start by following it. I do a lot of deep breathing so will carry on with that.

Would the Duloxetine have caused this? How long will it take to go do you think, if I do all the right things?

Thanks.

Polly

#60 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:11 AM

Sorry, I meant to ask if this is a serious illness and whether I need to talk to my doctor about it? Feeling a bit scared too ๐Ÿ˜ฅ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users