Photo

Only Taking For 2 Weeks, Do I Need To Taper?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 euclid

euclid

• Site Supporter
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:34 PM

I have been taking generic Cymbalta 20 mg for 2 weeks. The doctor who prescribed it for me will not return my phone calls and wants me to wait 3 weeks to see her. Since taking Cymbalta, I have had kidney pain and pain in the area of my liver. Yesterday, my urine was dark brown. Today I was really dazed at work, which requires me to be mentally  and intellectually alert. I only have 9 capsules left. Can I just quit cold turkey or do I need to taper? I know my anxieties will come back but I feel better battling them rather than this drug. The nurse practitioner prescribed them to me with absolutely no questions as to medical history, etc. I have kidney stones and read that if you have kidney problems, you should not be taking this drug.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions. 

#2 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:04 PM

Hi Euclid...

This is very worrying that you would be prescribed such a drug without first knowing your medical history. It is more of a patient beware society we live in by the looks.

Are you sure your urine was brown and not red - the difference can be very important. Brown can be bought about as a result of some medicines which is more or less harmless, but I need not tell you that a red/crimson colour will be blood in your urine in which case you need to stop immediately regardless of what withdrawal may follow.

Two weeks is enough time for changes to be made in your neuro-chemistry and stopping cold turkey is likely to give you some symptoms, but they will last no more than around 5-7 days at the most. If you feel you have no cause for concern, then I would taper using what you have left, but you will need to do so by counting the beads - do NOT take them every other day, or every third day.

IUN

#3 euclid

euclid

• Site Supporter
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for your reply IUN. I am not exactly sure but the urine did look brown. The only other drug I am taking is Requip but I only take it at night and this happened before I took the Requip. I have not had any other incidences today. Everything looks normal. Can I taper with my 9 capsules? Go to half for a few days, then a quarter, then stop?

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:22 PM

I would halve the doses as best you can with what you have, but the problem being is that you only have 9 capsules, so unless you have more empty capsules to hand, you will have to do this over 9 days, which should be ok.

I suggest you have 3 days at half dose, 3 days at quarter dose and 3 days at eighth dose. The more you can smooth the taper over with limited jumps in dose the better. It also takes 3 days for the blood levels to stabalise. You will probably find that you will be fine for about 4-5 days and then the symptoms will start - peak around 3 days later, and then reduce over the following few days. 

#5 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:51 AM

Hello and welcome,

Going cold turkey is was I would do. IUN mentioned 5-7 days of withdrawal that's not a lot, you may well do it this way. The choice is yours. Please come back for an update. Thank you!

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

I agree with IUn but I think I would try the cold turkey first. If it doesn't work you can then return to your dose and work down from there as IUn suggested. I normally don't suggest cold turkey but your dose is so low and such a short time I would consider it.

#7 euclid

euclid

• Site Supporter
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:06 PM

Update: After talking to folks in my HR department at work, they suggested that I wait to see the doctor that prescribed the medication. This way, in case something went wrong, I could be covered by  FMLA and would not lose my job. I met with her Thursday and she prescribed a new medication. I asked her about tapering and she said that it was not needed and that I should stop cold turkey. I have been on 20 mg for almost 4 weeks. I have no medication left to taper even if I wanted. So any suggestions? 

#8 euclid

euclid

• Site Supporter
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:09 PM

Oh, by the way, the new medication was Remeron. I tried taking one and it knocked me out for almost 2 days. I don't think I can take these and work. I appear to be sensitive to these types of drugs as my body does not react well them.

#9 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:55 PM

What the hell is wrong with your Doctor?!

Even the patient information leaflet from the pharma states a MINIMUM of 2 weeks, which we all know is far too short. Seriously - change your doc. This is not right. 

This is serious - you could end up at the ER. You are allowed to ask for a second opinion if you are no satisfied with your doctor's opinion. If not present yourself to the ER and if things are bad enough, they should be able to supply - they can in the UK, not sure about the states, if that is where you are from.

But seriously, this is worrying that there are Doctors out there that are doing this.

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:31 PM

IUN is right. Your dr is an idiot.

There is also a warning in the insert that cold turkey can cause suicidal thoughts as well as possible suicide. Fire that dr and get a new one asap.

#11 euclid

euclid

• Site Supporter
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:39 PM

So it has been three days since stopping. How long until I feel withdrawal symptoms?

#12 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:50 PM

Blood levels take around 3 days to settle, so any moment now unfortunately... these few days is what we call the "honeymoon" period where people think that have gotten away with it, but in 90% of cases, something comes along.

I pray that you are one of the 10% given the situation you have been forced into...

Stay in touch with us here - we are here for you - whatever, whenever.. OK?

#13 euclid

euclid

• Site Supporter
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:02 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. The doctor said that my dosage was low enough (20mg)  to just stop. She said that when they wean other folks using Cymbalta, they usually stop at 30 mg and have them quit. I asked about counting beads and she said that was dangerous. In fact, she withdrew my prescription waiting for me at the drug store so that I didn't have any. I have been a little bit out of it today but have thought it was still lingering effects of the Remeron.

I am informing a friend in case I need to go to the ER.

#14 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

I asked about counting beads and she said that was dangerous.

Sorry to use such language, but that is bollocks!

There are two different types of academics in this world - those who think they know something and assert it, and those who accept they don't know and find out for themselves. Hat and myself fall into the latter category and is the making of a researcher. The former is the category of someone who is in a medical profession who is there for putting the time in and getting the pay check. 

It may be very difficult to ascertain which is Remeron and which is Cymbalta - but whatever you do, do not ask the opinion of your doctor!!

#15 euclid

euclid

• Site Supporter
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:31 PM

Yes, I had my first talk therapy session on Friday, during which I voiced my concerns with her about the doctor who prescribed the Cymbalta. She seems to only be concerned with giving out prescriptions and nothing else.Unfortunately I live in a small town and mental health facilities are few.

#16 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:39 PM

Can she not prescribe you sufficient Cymbalta to withdrawal correctly?

You should not be swapping straight away from Cymbalta to Remeron - see third page of attached;

https://www.gwh.nhs....april-16-rh.pdf

Note that this translates to Duloxetine and Mirtaxapine in the UK - but it clears states that you should be cross-tapering cautiously. This means slow decrease of Cymbalta and slow increase of Remeron. Usually done over a course of weeks but NEVER an immediate swap.

#17 euclid

euclid

• Site Supporter
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the information. I emailed my GP and shared the information. Unfortunately tomorrow is a holiday in the US and I am not sure that he is working. Maybe he can at least give me a prescription for some more duloxetine so I can wean on my own. The doctor that has been prescribing this stuff is off until Tuesday.

I did open one of the 20 mg capsules after communicating with you a couple of weeks ago and there are only 4 pills inside, not beads. 

#18 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

Ah - the dreaded "big bead" variety. 

Ideally you would switch to the smaller beaded variety, but you could at least drop to 15mg, 10mg and 5 mg with what you had....

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

IUN is dead on with his comments.

It is interesting that your dr says that bead counting is dangerous even though this is the FDA recommended method.  I still say your dr is an idiot.

I also am hoping that you will be one of the lucky ones to come off easily.

#20 Mxpro32

Mxpro32

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

I "tapered" using the big beads and it was pretty rough. Basically drop 5mg then wait for my head to stop zapping, then drop another. I would take the last 5mg tab and then see how long I could tolerate the zaps and then take another, trying to draw out the time in between. Then 2-3 weeks after quitting I woke up with a jolt and haven't slept since. I'm wondering if that wouldn't have happened with a slower taper

#21 euclid

euclid

• Site Supporter
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:19 PM

So I had a few rough weeks, but made it through OK. But now I have insomnia and constant tinnitus.Any idea how long these will last?

#22 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:59 PM

The insomnia will slowly fade but in some individuals the tinnitus has hung on for a year or more before fading.

#23 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:41 PM

Stress exacerbates the tinnitus and is the main contributory factor in mine returning.

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:44 AM

Large doses of pepto can cause/increase tinnitus as well if you have been using a lot of that recently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users