fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:02 AM

https://www.yahoo.co...-100006519.html

"A friend of mine wrote on Facebook the other day above a weird photo.

It showed three boxes of Imodium A-D — that trusted anti-diarrhea medication — lying crumpled in a parking lot. What nightmarish emergency, he wondered, could have possibly led to this?

Turns out, it was nightmarish. Just not in the way most of us would think.

A few commenters on the post explained what was probably going on: People battling opioid withdrawal sometimes gobble Imodium by the fistful.

Imodium is the brand-name of loperamide: a drug that, if taken in gigantic quantities, can produce an opioid-like high — and present serious dangers to a person's health.

I had no idea this was a problem. But apparently it’s nothing new.

According to U.S. News & World Report, the U.S. National Poison Data System reported a 90 percent spike in loperamide overdoses between 2010 and 2016.

Abusing the drug can, naturally, lead to horrific constipation. But it can also wreak havoc on your heart – usually through irregular heartbeats, the New York Times reported in 2016. Back then, overdose deaths had reportedly occurred in at least five states."

#2 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

I was so shocked by this story, I had to read it out loud to my husband. It's truly awful that people feel that they have to resort to this and just a damn shame that this country continues to allow pharmaceutical companies to push their drugs in misleading ways directly to doctors and to patients while obscuring the facts. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users