• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 speedracer

speedracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:57 PM

First off, I'm glad I found this site. Just reading everyone else's experiences has been educational. I was on Cymbalta, 60mg for nearly two years, and because of my employer switching insurances, I went a few days without my prescription. I've been wanting to get off this drug for some time and I figured that now was the best time. I'm glad to say that my withdrawal hasn't been quite as bad as I've heard it can get, but I've only been off it for about a week.

My symptoms are the brain zaps, a general feeling of 'fogginess' and terrible nightmares, which is the worst part of the withdrawal so far. These nightmares happen when I'm in that state between sleep and wake, which makes them so real and terrifying. I guess they're like hallucinations for lack of a better term, but for some reason, if I fall asleep with the TV on, I don't get them.

I've got to say that I never wanted to get on medication. My depression wasn't that severe, but a therapist and my doctor eventually convinced me to start Cymbalta. If I had know what coming off this stuff was going to be like, I never would've gotten on it in the first place. As a matter of fact, I really can't believe this stuff is still on the market after reading all of the horror stories about people trying to get off it.

So hopefully, things won't get any worse. If this is as bad as it gets for me, and if things are going to get better from here, I'll be okay. Hopefully sooner than later.

#2 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:49 AM

I had 2 nights with the nightmares that you talked about, when I would just be dozing off, and they would hit, and kind of jolt me awake; it was just awful! Fortunately those have passed. I'm still taking 15 mg, but think I will call the doctor and talk about stopping altogether tomorrow. Good Luck to you, and thanks for sharing your experience!

#3 Carlyn

Carlyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:36 AM

No nightmares here, but enough other experiences to make up for not having them. This sight is a lifesaver. Hope you can get this stuff out of you system quickly. It needs more study and hopefully taken off the market so others don't have to go thru this withdrawal.

#4 speedracer

speedracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:28 AM

Well, last night was really bad in terms of the nightmares. I got some sleep paralysis thrown into the mix, which was really nice. I'm going to try an OTC sleep medication tonight to see if I can at least get a good night's rest. I'll post the results tomorrow.

#5 speedracer

speedracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:05 AM

I took an OTC sleeping pill last night and I slept wonderfully. No nightmares whatsoever. I'm going to try not taking it tonight to make sure I don't become dependent on it. Maybe I'll alternate one night with and then one night without. I shouldn't speak too soon, but I've been feeling really good lately, so we'll see how long it lasts.

#6 cstrommer

cstrommer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

Just found this site. Yeah! Day 3 without cymbalta. Was fine until today - can't move without dizziness. Was weaning off 30 mg (yes, that's it) every other day for 4 days, now it's been 3 days. I take lunesta 2 mg at night. I still have vivid dreams and had awfully violent dreams while taking cymbalta. Still had issues sleeping. Night sweats a little. I've been taking these meds for depression and pain management. We'll see. I've already noticed huge emotional swings. I really want to stop as well (honestly I like the way it leveled me out, but my libido hasn't been too hot). I do notice a bit more pain. I take other meds so I'm trying to "cut down". This site is wonderful. Has anyone functioned o.k. while having the equilibrium issues (i.e. driving, etc.). Any thoughts?

#7 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

Some people do come off of Cymbalta with no problems. Then there is the rest of us, who don't.

I went 45 days cold turkey off of 30 mg. Some days were not so bad, but others were days of confusion and crying. Not the way that I was before Cymbalta.

Taking Cymbalta every other day puts you into withdrawal every other day! The Cymbalta supposedly leaves your system in 3 to 4 days. I went through 45 days hoping that I would get past the 50/50 mark. 50% of the time feeling like I could make it the other 50% trying to figure out what coming off of Cymbalta has done to me. Crying, it was like 3.5 years of crying hit me all at once (could barely cry for 2 mintutes on Cymbalta).

I finally cried "uncle" and sought out the help of another psychiatrist. Who told me that she would never have dropped somebody down from 30mg to NOTHING.

There have been a few posts where people weaned to Prozac and were able to stop both. Thought I was strong enough to beat the Cymbalta monster on my own, 45 days was way to long to suffer, so please, if you are still feeling poorly, please, get a second opinion and make it known to your prescribing doctor that you are having the emotional swings. I pray that you get through this on your own, but do not suffer needlessly.

#8 cstrommer

cstrommer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't cry too much on cymbalta. I liked that though (I hate to say it). The only problem was going to funerals (my 42 yr. old neighbor passed away 3 wks after I started cymbalta last year and I couldn't cry). So now I'm noticing my libido is coming back, but my emotions are way out of wack. Yippee. My husband knows the pros and cons of this withdrawal. Let's see which "me" he prefers.....So far I'm handling this o.k. I need to watch my behavior though - especially around my 3 kids. I've weaned off of vicodin before (that had less side effects though). This is truly a great board! Thanks.

#9 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

Weaning off of vicodin was easier than Cymbalta? Wow, what a statement. Somehow this does not shock me.

My best to you. How much Cymbalta did you take and how long have you been off?

#10 speedracer

speedracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

I'm glad someone brought up the emotional aspects of going off this drug. When I was on it, I really didn't have any emotions. Now, I'm finding that highs and lows are coming back, which is normal.

#11 cstrommer

cstrommer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

I've been on cymbalta for one year. I'm lowering my dose a bit now, since I couldn't move yesterday without dizziness. I have to function with 3 kids. The vicodin was for pain, and I still have it if I need it. I just scaled down the dose as I felt better. A little jittery, but nothing like these multiple side effects from cymbalta. I have sweats today and dizziness. Oh but let's face it, I'm a woman, so who knows what's causing what anymore!! Great to hear your stories.

#12 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

I don't encourage other drug use, however I take oxycodone for pain, and I think it is also helping with the withdrawals. I wouldn't wean off of too many things at one time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users