fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:13 AM

You can just stop the Esomeprazole.

5% of those taking Amitriptyline report shortness of breath as a side effect. Yes I would take 1/2 tonight and the next couple nights to see if things get better.

#32 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

Thanks FH. I have stopped the Esomeprazole. It's as if the Amitriptyline is amplifying not being able to cope with stress. I've got such a headache too๐Ÿ˜ซ.

I will try half tonight and see if it makes any difference. I feel like I can't get enough air in again - maybe I'm thinking about it too much! I just don't know anymore ๐Ÿ˜ฅ.

Thanks for your reply.

Polly

#33 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 01:14 PM

Sorry, another question - could the shortness of breath still be from withdrawal? Have been off for nearly 4 months now.

Also, I did a gym workout the other day and my muscles ache so much. It feels like I have been hit by a bus๐Ÿ˜ซ. I haven't exercised for a few months so it maybe because of that, but can withdrawal exacerbate this?

#34 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 March 2020 - 01:49 PM

The breathing difficulty could still be from withdrawal. The exercising to the point of soreness was a real bad idea. Many do not significantly exercise until 8 to 9 months off and then start slow. exercising too much causes the formation of lactic acid. Lactic acid is what causes sore muscles. It is also one of the strongest compounds your body produces to promote anxiety. In test research on animals they inject them with sodium lactate which is converted to lactic acid in the body and mimics strong anxiety. It will take a few days for things to settle down and then start back up very slowly. Did I say very slowly?  Yes, I did. lol

#35 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 01:59 PM

Thanks FH. I didn't exercise that hard either๐Ÿ˜ซ. When you say start back up, do you mean start back with the exercise?

And VERY SLOWLY. Lol.

Thanks for the info

#36 frog

frog

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:17 PM

Will let FH or IUN advise on the drugs. Just want to say hi and sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well still. Anxiety is a major cause of shortness of breath so hopefully when your anxiety goes down the breathing will improve. 

Thinking of you

#37 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:52 PM

Thanks so much Frog, I appreciate thatโค

Hope you are doing OK?

#38 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:14 PM

Hey Pol....

Great to hear from you, and I am all but certain that the Amitriptyline start-up will be behind some of this. I forget which dose you are taking, but tricyclic antidepressants are known to cause initially anxiety in the first few weeks. They are a totally different compound to the newer kids on the block, so how you react to an SSRI will have no bearing on how you will react to Amitriptyline. 

As it has quite a long half-life, there will be not much to be gained by splitting the dose 50/50 either, as opposed to taking one dose every 24hr. You can drop the dose and see what occurs, but again, because of the longer half-life, do not expect a change overnight.

Yes, Hat meant starting the exercise up very gradually. We have had many members who have suffered as a result of too much exercise at these pivotal moments. Tough when you feel it might help, but you need to find the point at which it becomes counterproductive to your progress.

#39 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:30 PM

Hi IUN

How are you doing? Much better I hope! Thanks, as always, for the advice. I have halved the dose tonight and will stay at that dose for a few days to see if it helps with the side effects.

This is like a rollercoaster ride ๐Ÿ™„. I'll keep you posted.

Pol

#40 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:39 PM

I'm doing grand at the moment. Just the Mrs to fix!!

Yes, it might take around 3 days to notice a change - depending on how long you have been on them. But please keep us posted. This is really useful info for Hat and myself.... we don't get a lot of tricyclic action round here :)

#41 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:50 PM

That's great news IUN!

Glad to be of service.๐Ÿ˜‰. Lol

#42 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:58 PM

We are all guinea pigs for he medical people for sure.

#43 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:01 PM

You are so right FH!

#44 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:32 AM

Sorry, another quick question - is it OK to take CBD oil with 5mg of Amitriptyline while I'm waiting for it to take effect?

Thanks.

#45 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:53 AM

Some have reported a slight increase in physical symptoms such as heart rate, but this is on higher doses and very much represent the minority.

I would say you are safe, but try just a few drops to start. Bear in mind that it builds up if you take it regularly.

#46 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:54 AM

Thanks IUN. I took 5mg last night a d the sore pain is back in my stomach, so it was controlling it๐Ÿ˜ซ. Not sure what dose to take tonight now.

Will try a cbd tea instead of the drops to test first.

Thanks.

#47 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:05 AM

I've also stopped the Esomeprazole as well, so it could be that. Oh God, I've confused myself ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ

#48 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:45 AM

Yes it could...

Administration of the CBD will make no difference, only the strength. But from what I have seen, it is highly unlikely that you will have any results from interaction.

Try as best you can to stop/start/reduce/increase one thing at a time...

#49 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:52 AM

That's my trouble, starting and stopping!๐Ÿ™„. Shall I stick with the 5mg or go back up to 10mg and ride the start up side effects out? I really don't want to take the Esomeprazole so will try more natural things like slippery elm or the Silicogel.

Advice welcome ๐Ÿ˜‰.

Thanks.

#50 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:17 AM

How long have you been on each dose so far?

#51 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:21 AM

11 days on Amitriptyline and 3 weeks on Esomeprazole

#52 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:36 AM

You need to give the Amitriptyline around 2-3 weeks to settle down on a stable dose, so the anxiety will have more than likely been that at a 10mg dose. If that is what was prescribed, you need to give it a trial at that dose for 3 weeks straight unfortunately. If during the week that follows your symptoms do not improve, you will have your definitive answer.

I know it is difficult to have to put up with yet another term of medicinal lottery - you have my every sympathy dear Pol.

#53 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

Thanks IUN. So go back up to 10mg tonight then? And stay off Esomeprazole for now to see if the Amitriptyline solves the pain at 10mg? God I'm so indecisive!๐Ÿ™„

Thanks again.

#54 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:38 AM

Indecisive?!!   We all were. It really messes with your perception of reality, self-esteem and confidence.

By the way, as usual, IUN is dead on in his recommendations.

#55 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:42 AM

Thanks FH. I am constantly seeking reassurance and am not normally like that๐Ÿ™„. Do you think I should stick with the 10mg for now? See, there I go again!๐Ÿ˜‚

#56 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:48 AM

Like IUN  said, go back up to the 10 mg and stick with it and see if it will help. If the side effects get bad enough you may need to stop but they should fade the longer you are on the med. If they don't fade it will become obvious and the decision will be easy.

#57 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:24 AM

Thanks FH. I have a feeling it's reflux too but will just stick with the Amitriptyline for a few days. Thanks for the advice both.

#58 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:57 PM

Sorry Pol - long day - working since my last post to you. Shattered - and three systems to fix over the weekend. Can't catch a break...

But Hat got you straightened out with the reinstatement of the 10mg and hold off on the PPI. Hold tight and keep us posted...

IUN

#59 Polly38

Polly38

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:46 AM

Hi All. A further update from me.

Day 19 on Amitriptyline. The pain in my stomach has gone, which is great! I am starting to feel calmer but the shortness of breath is still with me (which I'm obviously more worried about at the moment because of Coronavirus ๐Ÿ˜ฅ) but I have had it for months so it can't be that๐Ÿคž. I know that AD's always make my symptoms worse before they get better, so I'm hanging in there. FH - is it still normal to have the shortness of breath in withdrawal? 4 months off Duloxetine.

Stay safe and well everyone!

#60 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:53 AM

Normally the shortness of breath lasts as long as severe anxiety. Usually as the anxiety fades so does the shortness of breath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users