Photo

I'm Finally A Success Story And All It Took Was A Nationwide Quarantine.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rorati

rorati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:04 PM

I'M FINALLY FREE OF THIS HORRIBLE MEDICATION. I took my last dose two weeks ago. This is a huge accomplishment for me!

I'm a girl in my late twenties who has been on/off Cymbalta since high school. I went on it again three years ago after I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, thinking I should try harder to cope with stress and hearing that it helped with pain. I've been wanting to go off it for TWO YEARS after coming to terms with the fact that meds aren't the solution for me and learning that it has not been researched for long-tem use, but each attempt ended in failure because I couldn't afford to take a break from work and the withdrawal rendered me nonfunctional. 

Last year I got a job in mental health and saw clients with serotonin syndrome, clients reduced to husks after being on meds for decades. It felt like I was being mugged every time I paid Eli Lily at the pharmacy counter. Of course none of my prescribing doctors had ever mentioned how addictive it is. I felt incredibly demoralized, angry, and helpless that I had to keep paying to take a damaging drug I didn't want to be on and didn't need because I couldn't afford to come off of it.

I started bead-counting March 1st, less than a percentage decrease a day. My withdrawal timeline was over a year. Then COVID-19 happened and I got laid off. Without having to work, I was able to increase my daily decreases to a rapid month-long taper. 14 days off, the brain zaps/vertigo are 90% gone, insomnia 75% gone. I still have low emotional regulation, but that's okay because I'm not expected to hold up in a workplace.

Cymbalta gave me constant brainfog and hurt my self-control. I relied on stimulants (Adderall, caffiene) to wake up my brain which made me more anxious than I was before Cymbalta. I'm incredibly excited and grateful to be off it. But I also recognize that there's no way I would have been able to stop taking it in any reasonable timeline if I was working. The withdrawal is disabling and like most Americans, I could never have gotten the two months off work that turned out to be necessary if this global crisis hadn't happened. So while I'm happy, that's also pretty sad.

I will never stop being angry with the psychiatric industry. They should be forced to pay for time off and job security for everyone who is unable to come off SNRIs and SSRIs due to employment. I really think that mass-prescribing psychiatric medications that haven't been properly researched (don't even get me started on amphetamines) will eventually be seen as a public health crisis on the same scale as opioids.

I know I won't be 100% for a while yet, but I'm so excited to start getting to know myself and my capabilities again, to experience life out from under the fog and the burden of worrying how to get my meds when heath insurance invariably drops the ball (don't get me started on that either.) Braving a scary risk and having it pay off feels like the first step to repairing my self-confidence.

I remember lurking on this sub and crying at the thought of losing a whole year to withdrawal, so I wanted to share. My circumstances aligned to allow me to get off, and I hope the same happens for all of you. 

#2 LisaMichele

LisaMichele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:18 PM

I just read your post and I immediately had to reply! I have used this time as well to finally get off this terrible drug. I took my last couple of beads yesterday! I had tried three times in the past to get off cymbalta with no luck. The last time I was actually completely clean for 64 days but had to go back.

I decided after 15 years I was only on cymbalta because I couldn’t get off not because it was helping my pain. Figured this was perfect time to try again and I was ready.
I also finally had a capsule with hundreds of beads instead of 6 as was previously. Bead counting has worked like a charm this time.

I also used the time to wean from ambien. I had been on it every night for 19 years. I used a form of CBT to get rid of that.
I am so happy for you. It is such a good feeling to know that you have been successful!
Congratulations!
Much ❤️❤️
Lisa

#3 rorati

rorati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:27 PM

I just read your post and I immediately had to reply! I have used this time as well to finally get off this terrible drug. I took my last couple of beads yesterday! I had tried three times in the past to get off cymbalta with no luck. The last time I was actually completely clean for 64 days but had to go back.

I decided after 15 years I was only on cymbalta because I couldn’t get off not because it was helping my pain. Figured this was perfect time to try again and I was ready.
I also finally had a capsule with hundreds of beads instead of 6 as was previously. Bead counting has worked like a charm this time.

I also used the time to wean from ambien. I had been on it every night for 19 years. I used a form of CBT to get rid of that.
I am so happy for you. It is such a good feeling to know that you have been successful!
Congratulations!
Much ❤️❤️
Lisa

OMG that is HUGE! 15 years and now off is amazing. People who haven't been on it don't really understand this achievement so we have to cheer each other on. I'm so happy for you!

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:32 PM

Hi Rorati and welcome to the site.

Your story is fantastic and thank you on behalf of us all for sharing. You did so well to stick with the taper you mapped out, and you are now reaping the best of the benefits from doing so. It is so tough to keep on such a regime, so very sincerely well done.

Regards to long-term use, there is little research because those such as Eli Lily do not want people to know the outcome. When they released Prozac back in the early 90's, it was done so to be used for 6 - 9 months TOPS. Now look where we are. Long term use is somewhere you don't want to be unless there is legitimate medical evidence to prove it as a necessity. 

Thanks again for sharing - I am sure other will be along over the weekend to enjoy the read....

IUN

#5 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:36 PM

Lisa...

Can't remember you - so might have been before my time, either that or it is the Cymbalta repeating on me.

Awesome that you are are taking this opportunity as well. Please do not be a stranger as you are going through this. It is great to hear how people are getting on. CBT can work wonders with the right teachers... Took me 5 different therapists to finally land with the right one. No regrets here for doing so. She's an earth angel for sure!!

IUN

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:53 PM

Congratulations to both of you. You should be very proud of yourself. A great accomplishment.

By the way Lisa, don't feel bad about IUN not remembering you He sometimes forgets his own name. It must be after effects of Cymbalta.  lol

#7 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 18 April 2020 - 05:59 PM

I heard that....

:)

#8 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 20 April 2020 - 05:02 AM

Hello and welcome to both of you,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm happy to read such beautiful posts.
I feel in your writing how happy and proud you are. Should we say bravo for the virus? Perhaps not but in your case, a big yes. Please do come back for another update. How amazing!love.

#9 LisaMichele

LisaMichele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:34 PM

I actually haven’t been on the site since my last try. I think that was 2 years ago.
Things are going well.
This time was so much easier. I went much slower and had the luck to have had a new manufacturer with many more beads.

Really I was pleasantly surprised that I only experienced mild nausea and some anxiety.
Since I have been completely off of course the brain wushes— that’s what it sounds like to me— are with me but they are not really as bad as the last time when I felt as though I’d been kicked in the head by a horse.

A daily yoga and meditation practice has been my biggest help. I also keep really busy and try to walk as much as possible.
The exercise is definitely a huge part of my success. I sincerely believe that.

All of the side effects I was having with the drug are just about gone. No more dizziness or nausea or night sweats. Hallelujah!
This is such a great feeling.
Thanks to all of you for supporting and helping!

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 April 2020 - 07:54 AM

Great report and information. I am so happy for you. congratulations.

#11 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 24 April 2020 - 07:05 PM

Ditto - and again, a very well deserved and sincere pat on the back. You did so well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users