25 replies to this topic

#1 tiredofcymbalta

tiredofcymbalta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationTEXAS USA
  • why_joining:
    i have been coming off cymbalta for months now, i have brain zaps, ear problems, dizziness, i am so glad to have found a group like this

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:42 PM

I am curious if anyone else gets a headache with their brain zaps?

#2 perpetualfatigue

perpetualfatigue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    I've been taking Cymbalta for over a year & have unbearable side-effects so have started to taper down my dose & hopefully come off. I'm now stuck between unbearable side-effects staying on & unbearable withdrawal coming off. I'm so lost & need help, advice & support from people going through the same thing, coz there's almost zero help for people wanting to come off their meds here in Australia.

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

I'm very lucky I don't get brain zaps at all just severe headaches instead every day.

#3 tiredofcymbalta

tiredofcymbalta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationTEXAS USA
  • why_joining:
    i have been coming off cymbalta for months now, i have brain zaps, ear problems, dizziness, i am so glad to have found a group like this

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:46 AM

i'd much rather have that. It's been 5 days since I took cymbalta. I have read so many different things on here. I had been weaning off of this mess since July. I started taking the omega 3 and vitamin b-12 right away. I also started getting my daily in vitamin c.

It's driving me insane. I just want this nightmare over with.

Is there anything else or any other vitamins that will help lessen this?

#4 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:21 AM

I actually haven't found the Omega 3 helpful at all. Either that or the zaps were going to be even worse.

I wasn't taking the Omega 3 when I first had problems; tried to taper down before stopping again but taking the omega3; brain zaps were even worse and more frequent. Crazy. I've started taking a tiny dose again, and they've disappeared.

I didn't get a headache during the day, but overnight strangely enough; it felt exactly like a dehydration headache, which I'm familiar with, but I wasn't dehydrated, which is a very tight feeling, like you're head's in a vice, but not at the front of my head like a tension headache if that makes sense.

The days I don't have brain zaps though, I don't end up with overnight headaches either, so I'm fairly sure they're connected.

Because I've also had a few sleeping problems, a few nights in a row I took a (night strength) Mersyndol - if you don't know it it's paracetamol, coedine along with a relaxant. That helped.

regards, Maureen.

#5 tiredofcymbalta

tiredofcymbalta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationTEXAS USA
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

I think the omega 3 and b12 is working for me. I started taking them on "day one' 6 days ago. I say day one because I really don't plan to take another dose of cymbalta. Since it is a "withdrawal" why feed the addiction? But I feel today a lot better then most "day 6" that i've had where i feel as though I am dying and end up taking a pill to make it all stop.

I am so glad that I found this site and learned about the vitamins. They have helped me so much.

#6 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hi Madtabby,

I've had difficulty in the past with Omega 3 because I'm not a big fish fan, and the fish burps nearly made me sick, but I've found a lemon lime version, so now I burp lemon lime instead. :))

Maureen.

#7 tiredofcymbalta

tiredofcymbalta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationTEXAS USA
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:09 AM

i haven't had any fish burps or after taste. the brand I use has special coating to prevent that, I guess i got lucky lol

#8 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:
    I tried to commit suicide obviously unsuccessfully, shortly beofre starting a New doctor taperd from this drug, (just jumped off) and Ive strong feelings about it.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

Okay, so I allowed myself to get upset because my Doctor is keeping me in the dark about why me brain hurts. A phonecall with his office earlier upset me. Im one month plus out, and havent had a brain zap for a week or so. JUST HAD ONE, whil letting myself get upset. My hubby would say, "well dont do that":) Easy for him, the mans counterpart is titanium. So Im trying to calm down, but thats interesting. Just wanted to share, THAT THIS SUCKS Mystic

#9 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

Okay, so I allowed myself to get upset because my Doctor is keeping me in the dark about why me brain hurts. A phonecall with his office earlier upset me. Im one month plus out, and havent had a brain zap for a week or so. JUST HAD ONE, whil letting myself get upset. My hubby would say, "well dont do that":) Easy for him, the mans counterpart is titanium. So Im trying to calm down, but thats interesting. Just wanted to share, THAT THIS SUCKS Mystic

Me again. :))

Again, just my experience, but strangely found that paracetamol didn't help much with the withdrawal headaches. Mine were a 'tight' headache as opposed to thumping or whatever, felt a bit like a dehydration headache, but wasn't.

Wonder if anyone else found that ???

Maureen.

#10 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

Maurene,
When you were talking about the dehydration headaches, I got you right away.
I only get the headaches at night, and thus think the same so I start guzzling
H2O, but it doesn't help at all. I did take some good old asprin, and by that time
I am usually just either asleep, or have gotten use to the darn thing. I know how
to do pain, and thne some.

I thought I was the only one having this. Also the Omega stuff hasn't done anything
and I hate burping fish taste, barf! I will take lenon-lime anytime. I am just really
funny about fish all the way around. Love it, but I only like it a certain, on the BBQ.

Debbie

#11 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

yeah Debbie, I agree with the fish thing. I really should eat more, but sadly often all we eat is Friday night Fish & Chips (or chish & fipps as we call them), but I console myself with the fact that at least we have it grilled and not fried. There's so much talk of mercury etc in different ones and I lose track. Just laziness really.

With the headaches, the reason I said that is because I have a dodgy fluid balance, which I think I've mentioned before, and have to take synthetic vasopressin (I've had this since I had secondary encephalitis at 13 which destroyed part of my pituitary), which is a brilliant drug, completely solves the problem, but means that I can't just drink what I want. The drug works by retaining all fluid except what your body absolutely needs to remove toxins etc (which is less than 500ml per day). If I kept drinking, I would just keep retaining and end up in hospital with low sodium in no time. It's not really a problem because with plenty of fluid I'm not actually thirsty.

The BIG problem for me was the dry mouth which was tolerable at 30mg, but not at 60mg. My thirst response is a bit slow, so by the time I'm 'normally' thirsty, I'm dehydrated, and get a 'tight' head before I actually get thirsty. So as you can imagine I am VERY familiar with the difference between any other headache and a dehydration headache, which would usually go away within about half an hour of drinking at least 500ml.

Not so with this headache, it didn't budge one iota.

So paracetamol didn't work well, and now you're saying asprin didn't help much either. On the nights when they were bad, I would actually take one Mersyndol, which would help a bit, but usually one Mersydol would knock me right out (I mainly used them in the past to 'stall' a blood-pressure related migraine).

The problems I've had make me sound like an old crock, but I'm actually healthier than I have been in decades; it's just that the two serious conditions I've had have left their little marks here and there, which means side effects of drugs are often problematic for me.

haven't forgotten your recipe - just have to find it!

cheers, Maureen

#12 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

tiredofcymbalta,
There is a post in the older ones around Aug 10-18 just on that subject.
Yes others do have them, and yes they are terrible. It's the brain that is
going through withdrawls, and there are many other symptoms too.

Here's my favorite site for all of them , don't forget to look at the FDA post

http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Debbie

#13 AMARSHALL

AMARSHALL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a newcomer that is lost with no help from any of my 4 doctors, yes 4. I was hopeless and found this forum. Have been emailing one of the members because I found myself unable to concentrate long enough to sign up for this but I really need support from others that have been in my situation. Just beginning to "wean" off this horrific drug for the second time.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

tiredofcymbalta,

I just posted this info. in another forum but thought you may find it helpful:

now hate the thought of taking pills but knowing these are natural vitamins and the fact that it eases the withdrawal process helps. I got information from another site and the nutritionist and following are all the vitamins Im taking and why:

Omega 3-6-9(supports acetylcholine production in the brain, heard its good for lots of other things too!)
Mega Multi Mineral (Amino Acid Chelate)
Lecithin 1365 mg (Has choline in it)
Vitamin B-12 lozenges 1000mcg (helps with nerve pain for those who have it, really helps my leg pain)
Ginkgo Biloba 120mg (Increases blood flow in brain which supports creation of neurotransmitters)
Mega B-Stress
Suntheanine (L-Theanine) for mental calmness and relaxation
Tranquil Sleep (5-HTP, Suntheanine, Melatonin) For Insomnia

Lots of stuff but I honestly feel ALOT better. It takes a few days I guess for it all to get in your system but after just a few days, I felt much better. I even quit taking my Lyrica cold turkey and still feel good!!!!

I got some information from a website that stated the reason we all feel like crap is because of an effect Cymbalta creates called an "anticholergenic rebound". Means there has been an interruption in the production of the essential neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Hence, anything you can do to enhance or support acetylcholine production will assist in alleviating withdrawal symptoms. From 30 mg dose I have been taking 7 more granules out per day for a rate of 5mg less/week. This really seems to be working great and if it continues to work I will be Cymbalta free in 40 days. YAY!! Please pass this on to anyone else having a hard time. I am new here and not sure exactly what I'm doing so I just posted it here! I really hope some if not all of this helps you like it did I. BEWARE: I did buy St. Johns Wart because it prevents acetylcholine breakdown BUT I did have an interaction known as SEROTONIN SYNDROME which was horrible so DONT MIX this vitamin with cymbalta especially if your taking other meds like I was

#14 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:
    I tried to commit suicide obviously unsuccessfully, shortly beofre starting a New doctor taperd from this drug, (just jumped off) and Ive strong feelings about it.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:33 AM

A Marshall, this looks like an excellent combo, even while in w/'ds. I AM SO VERY SHY of anything now. Kudos, excellent, and Ill bet it helps! The melatonin alone will aid sleep, and Ive some experience with the others. I take two doses of supps, and have upped my melatonin(I stress mine personally, Ive been taking it for about 6 months at 3mg only) to 6 mg in my nightly dose. Im sleeping better, or sleeping at least! No caffeine 5 hrs before bed has helped tremendously to, the tossing and turning. I too sound old and decrepit. Perhaps right now, but thats not usually the norm. Have a happy and thank you for the post. Mystic
Whats even better is Ive always had a pretty high tolerance for most things, but now I dont!

#15 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:43 AM

Maureen{Quote} Again, just my experience, but strangely found that paracetamol didn't help much with the withdrawal headaches. Mine were a 'tight' headache as opposed to thumping or whatever, felt a bit like a dehydration headache, but wasn't.

Wonder if anyone else found that ???

Reply: Interesting. Ive read this thread and this is most intriguing. There may be help for me yet. The mind does go wild when not supplied the correct information. never had a dehydration headache that Im aware of before this. Headaches have not been a chronic problem, before this. Thank you all for this info. Ill have to try more "smart water." Although Maureen, my ankles have been swelling, and I thought it was the Elavil neuro tried. May have been initially, but it hasnt gone down much, and that troubles me just a tad. Thoughts? Mystic

#16 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:50 PM

Mystic,
Did you try looking up the swelling your having on that site I give out all the time?
I know it'a on there. I had that from just being on this drug!! Also got it with
Lyrica too.

Try this and see if you can't find it as one of the withdrawl symptoms http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Hope you doing better today.

Debbie

#17 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

Maurene,
How sweet you did see that I asked for the recipie! I also love food from anywhere but California, or the US
for that matter.

You really have had such terrible medical problems, and some at such an early age. I am so sorry.

You also have accomplished so very much too!

I said I only get the headaches at night, but seem to be getting one this am, and I will do the asprin, and
ice packs. I have suffered from Migraines for over 30 years, and they are the ones that last about 6 days.
They did put me on topamax, and I have been so lucky as now I don't get them that often, and sometimes
they are just for onday!!

Well it looks as if I finally made it over thatt dreadful hump!!! It was 6 days of misery. I am not going to do
another decrease for awhile, I need a health break. Also I need to be able to take care of some personal
business, and I just can't risk another falling apart right now.

When I do go down it willl only be 2.5 mg. I have really learned my lesson the hard way.

How is your decrease going?

Hugs,
Debbie

#18 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:24 AM

Debbie

Just a reminder: You are sounding so much more together now you are on Prozac. And there will be no falling apart while I'm here. I simply won't allow it *waves finger*

LOL!

Junior

#19 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Try this and see if you can't find it as one of the withdrawl symptoms http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Hope you doing better today.

Debbie

Thanks Debbie, Ill have a gander, let you know. I think the supplements Im taking may have something to do with it.Not necessarily the supps themselves, but the dosages. Its a very individual thing. I cut out my dose last night except for the melatonin(I need the sleep) and my ankles are not as puffy, more lax(oh, i hope it doesnt droop later)like a balloon deflating. Thats one of the reasons I didnt post what Im taking yet, cause I dont wanta lead anybody awry. Hope thats all it is, I AM SO leery of any pill right now.Im going to reintroduce stuff slowly (if at all) like one does a young baby with solid foods, and weed out anything problematic. To think I used to think i had a cast iron stomach. Most humbling......indeed. Depression is currently here, Im trying to cope. Thank you so much for your post and all the wonderful ones I see. So refreshing seeing people care about each other. You, yourself Debbie seemed refreshed at present, and thats excellent! So very glad some things are woking out for you in your personal endeavors, and now days thats somethin to say. Brutal, nasty depression/recession.As far as the tapering, it may seem slow and tortorous at times, but I know the end WILL justify your means, and heres to a healthy recovery from this stuff, for you and all. Mystic

#20 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

Junior,
Again thanks for letting me see the growth that I myself can't see, sepecially after that last
awful 6 days of sheer hell I had to go through when I was not thinking straight, and decreased
way to much to fast.

I had actually gone from 40mg to 30 mg in just a few days, and that's because I started the
Prozac. I just wasn't thinking clear at all, and had it down wrong in my journal!!! Now I have
it right so I can keep track of it all.

I am starting to have the sweating again, and lots of anxiety in the evening, and now I know
what it is at least. When I was on the full dose I had it all the time really bad, and had no clue
as to why it was happening. I asked my doc, but of course no one knew it could be the C causing
it, and he wanted to mess around with my hormones, but I said backoff on that one!!

Debbie

#21 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

mystic,
Thank you for the kind words. I have come so far yet at times do not see my
progress at all, and it's so wonderful to have a friend here that see that I have
really changed so much since I first started decreasing in Aug either the 18 or the 31
just not real sure now.

I do love to listen to what you have to say, and also love you name, it's so very
peaceful to me.

We will all make it through this journey together, no matter how brutal it gets
at times. We are fierce women, and warrirors!

Hope all is well with you,
Debbie

#22 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:19 AM

How are you travelling, Mystic?

Been wondering about you, those cats of yours, and your blood pressure.

king regards, Maureen.

#23 mysticcherokee

mysticcherokee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

Thanks yall. Im on the melatonin thread spoutin off. Ive been tired and grouchy. I dont judge myself by the way I FEEL, as of late, nut if Im any more functional Im still robbing per to pay pau; Horrible dreams last night. Im hanging in not travelin with a full deck, it seems. appt with neuro next week, tho its not set yet. Not to hopeful, this man hasnt come up with much yet. Ready to firem all, or walk so to speak. Thanks ladies for your posts. We warriors need to stick together, so none of us falls on our faces for now at least:) Mystic

#24 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

Thanks yall. Im on the melatonin thread spoutin off. Ive been tired and grouchy. I dont judge myself by the way I FEEL, as of late, nut if Im any more functional Im still robbing per to pay pau; Horrible dreams last night. Im hanging in not travelin with a full deck, it seems. appt with neuro next week, tho its not set yet. Not to hopeful, this man hasnt come up with much yet. Ready to firem all, or walk so to speak. Thanks ladies for your posts. We warriors need to stick together, so none of us falls on our faces for now at least:) Mystic

Mystic,
We walk this road together don't we? I too am not travelin with a full deck allll the time, but do see the difference
since I caught what I was doing with my decreases, and have now stayed at this same dose for 2 weeks 2 day. I
was really without any memory, and so confused when I first started all of this that I got my decreases all messed.

This has been some terrible nightmare itself. I am so sorry that your still having them! Also that all your doc's suck.

I never have given my POWER to doc's as I grew up with our doc living across the street when I was little, and then became
a nurse. To me they were just people. Then one screwed up my back for life, so I had to be on the other side of the stick,
and had to see just what it was all patients had to go through!! As a nurse I had no idea really, just some.

Don't ever give up, it willl get better, and like I was told when I got here "It's just the drug talking"

Love,
Debbie

#25 golfer2100

golfer2100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    Weening off of Cymbalta and its killing me!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

Good morning..at least for some it is...

This Cymbalta stuff is wicked!.. I am on my third day of no Cymbalta (Went from 60mg down to 25mg and now trying to stop) and the brain zaps, nausia, headaches are killing me!..

My headaches are at the base of my skull on the left side, my zaps are non-stop... the nausia comes and goes, but I feel like crap... HELP.....

#26 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:52 PM

Good morning..at least for some it is...

This Cymbalta stuff is wicked!.. I am on my third day of no Cymbalta (Went from 60mg down to 25mg and now trying to stop) and the brain zaps, nausia, headaches are killing me!..

My headaches are at the base of my skull on the left side, my zaps are non-stop... the nausia comes and goes, but I feel like crap... HELP.....

golfer,
Welcome,
Cold Turkey is not anyway to do this! As you can tell already after 3 days it is brutal as hell to get off this noxious little drug, and it does things to
us that one would never even guess. Just wait, your only starting, sorry to sound so bleak, and negative. Remember it does say to not stop abruptly,
What you did is not called a wean even. One has to go off this very slowly, and not even the doctors know about the side effects or the withdrawls.
We are having to bring them the information from site like these!!! Even then some still don't think it's the drug!!!

You are just haing really bad withdrawls, and here you can learn how to stop that, how to slowly wean youself off at you own pace so that you can still
function at some level!!!

Here's my favorite site. It has all the withdrawl symptoms, so when anything that's going on you can just look at the list, and it will help. This is not medical
advice, but chest pains I would really have checked out, just to be on the safe side.

http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Also check out the nutrition site here. There are certain things you can take to help with the symptoms your having,
Some use fresh ginger slice a few strips, and drink as hot tea, me I drink a diet soda, and burp,works everytime!

Keeps reading lots of posts, and ask tons of questions, as someone here will have that answer for you. I have had
everything I needed right here.

You can do this. No one know how long it takes for the withdrawls to stop. Some have said 6 months - 2years OUCH,
all I will tell you is that I am doing much better since I have been getting this crap out of me. I am sure you want to
do the same, but remember there is a kinder way to do so.

Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users