• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:44 AM

I can’t believe I’m in the same place again. I was once on 60 mg of cymbalta for anxiety and pain and I got it down below 20 mg but I just wanted to die during that process. Year later: New doctor pushed me to go up to 30 mg (already taking Zoloft, clonazepam) when my anxiety soared during the pandemic. ( I’m isolating alone.) Took the 30 mg for two weeks and felt like every day was a continual anxiety attack and I can’t eat. Thinking I had only been on it a short time, I dropped by 20 beads and went through a day of sheer hell. So now I’m dropping one bead a week and trying to decide whether to go faster. It’s hell being on this drug and hell coming off. Any advice would be appreciated. I feel so alone because no one understands.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:55 AM

Welcome Coleenjo

When in doubt go slower. This is a test of time and patience. being on two antidepressants at the same time can cause serotonin syndrome. What is your dose of Zoloft?

The last 10 to 20 mg is exceptionally difficult. I hope the dr warned you that the withdrawal from Clonazepam is almost as bad as Cymbalta. There are certainly other prescription meds that can help that do not have withdrawal that should have been tried first.

I would suggest you look over our ebook. It lists what other people have tried and their comments, medical research, things to avoid, supplement information and much more. There certainly are some supplements worth trying.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:04 AM

Oooops, didn't tell you where the ebook is located (free by the way), It is pinned to the top of the "Medical Support" section.

#4 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:05 AM

Thank you, fishing hat. I am on 200 mg of Zoloft and have unfortunately been on the clonazepam for years, now at .5 mg four times a day. (Several doctors involved in that.) I know I have that withdrawal to face down the road, although at times in the past I have reduced that dose a bit with no ill effects. Right now on the 30 mg of cymbalta, though, I am so overstimulated that I can’t focus, read, watch screens for more than minutes at a time, or even listen to music. I will stick to one bead a week and try to be patient but sometimes it’s so overwhelming. I will look at the ebook - thank you for replying so quickly.

#5 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:12 AM

Can’t seem to find the ebook; when I click on “Cymbalta Withdrawal Help and Support” it just goes back to the forums. I’m on an iPad and don’t see a “Medical Support” tab?

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:39 AM

When you go to the list of forums look for one around half way down the list that says "Medical Support". Click on that and it will be pinned near the top.

This should get you there...

https://www.cymbalta...tion-the-ebook/

200 mg of Zoloft is a lot and when you add around 20 mg of Cymbalta I would be very concerned with serotonin syndrome. Watch for fevers, especially in the evenings.

#7 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:05 PM

Thank you so much, found it. The Zoloft is not new, but I will keep an eye on that. Then they prescribed tramadol for back pain - not taking that. Can peppermint oil cause problems with the cymbalta withdrawal? My gastroenterologist recommended that for IBS. I am so very grateful for all your wisdom and help

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:52 PM

Tramadol along with Zoloft and Cymbalta is a definite no no. All three can cause serotonin when combined with the others. I am really glad that you are not taking the Tramadol for sure. even the 200 mg of Zoloft and 20 mg of Cymbalta would not be used by most drs at the same time. Serotonin Syndrome is a serious condition that must be avoided. The 200 mg dose of Zoloft is the absolute highest recommended dose and if you are a small person would definitely be considered excessive. You add in the Cymbalta and you could be asking for trouble. If you desire any medical research items on any of this just let me know and I can provide them. I am not a dr so please consider that. While I have considerable education that goes along with these subjects I am always happy to provide professional studies that have been performed in relation to the items we discuss on this site. 

Peppermint oil is great for stomach issues and does not interfere with the withdrawal. I actually use peppermint lozenges when the need arises. 

There is a section on how to minimize stomach issues which is a compellation of things I have been told by drs as well as read in the medical  journals. It has totally gotten rid of my IBS. You might want to look it over. 

#9 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:04 PM

Thank you so very much for all you have done to help

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:03 PM

You are very welcome, anytime.

#11 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:25 PM

Hi coleenjo and welcome...

Apologies for late arrival - busy day this end for me, but catching up with your situation here.

My goodness your doctor is a fool. You sure need guiding in the right direction.

Can you tell me if you were on the Cymbalta first, or the Zoloft? 

What was the reason for stopping the Cymbalta?

Depending on how you weaned off the Cymbalta, the drop could have well been unbearable. There are ways, as Hat said, that you can go slowly and come off better. How quick did you come off that first time? You might not need to go as slow as one bead/week. But going back up to the 30mg has sure done a number on you.

200mg of Zoloft is high, and although 30mg Cymbalta is relatively low, even so, serotonin syndrome can still present itself. As Hat says, fever is a key component, but when I had it, I was like you, got so overstimulated and burnt out. You need to be careful. Headaches are another... I never got a fever myself.

If you don't mind answering the above, we can get a better picture of how you have got where you are and the best way forward. I think you would do best to consider some supplements to aid a slightly quicker withdrawal to get the cymbalta levels down. I don't like the combination of the two, and I certainly don't like the fact that you say you are overstimulated. Long term, this can bring you into a difficult place.

Hat is a gem and done a cracking job - we'll get you to a better place...

IUN

#12 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

Oh IUN, thank for for writing. I’ve been on the Zoloft for over 10 years (two doctors); the clonazepam for more than 10 years at 3 a day (went to 4 a year ago) and the cymbalta for about two years. A former doctor took me from 60 to 30 all at once and I wanted to die. At that time I was also on bupropion 150mg, but stopped that over a year ago. I am 5’ 8” tall and about 210 pounds right now, so not small. I have spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease and some scoliosis, so getting my endorphins up is hard without access to a pool right now. I can walk only short distances because of advanced arthritis in my feet. Sometimes I feel like just a collection of medical problems and not the real person I was before with a 37 year career in human resources. I’m not sure how to get through this again, the suffering is so great. But I was down to 10 mg of cymbalta at the beginning of the year so I have done it. I’m so angry at myself for being back here again and so scared. My current doctor told me not to worry about serotonin syndrome when I asked him about it a week ago. Any help you can provide would be so welcome. In fact he told me to take the tramadol for pain. Thank you

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:00 AM

Just my opinion but I would say it is time for a new dr. 

#14 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:04 AM

Can’t find one with an open appointment around here right now. Everyone is booked full

#15 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:18 AM

And thanks, but now is not the time to change, I need the info to manage him.

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:44 AM

Let me know if there is any documentation you might want to show him. Keep your chin down and keep plugging along. 

#17 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:49 AM

You are doing the right thing Coleenjo. You are the person who has the best interest in improving your situation. A lot of Doctors are just in it for the paycheck. 

The first thing is for sure the excess of AD's. If Zoloft has worked for you, and continues to do so, then we need to get you off this Cymbalta. As I said yesterday, we are in a difficult situation as you are suffering as a result of being on this high dose, but dropping quickly will also cause suffering. Viscous circle. 

Can you tell me what it is you felt when coming off the Cymbalta the last time? Not downplaying what you said in "wanting to die", as many - myself included - have been in that place. But if you can give more details, we can recommend some supplements which will help you and that won't cause any further harm.

The stenosis I can sympathise with as I have similar issues with my neck that will get worse with age, but I doubt not nearly as severe as your own condition. I have two fused vertebrae at the base of my neck which I really have to look out for.

Tramadol is a serious drug and has a lot of issues relating to addiction - after all it is an opiate. I am not saying it doesn't have its place, and I occasionally use Kratom (also an opiate) for pain as I am allergic to pain killers, but I am aware of the addiction it can cause, so ALWAYS regulate my doses. 

Finally... and most importantly. Do NOT blame yourself. You are in this situation as a result of other people's (so-called professionals) choices which were made on your behalf. Draw a line in the sand and give yourself a pat on the back for getting yourself here and actively getting things sorted out. Many would give in, but you haven't. You have made the effort and are prepared to see this through, and we will do all we can to help you.

IUN

#18 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:12 AM

Oh IUN, thank you. The last time I came off cymbalta symptoms were: panic/anxiety attacks, overstimulation and inability to concentrate, waking for good at 3 or 4 in the morning, depression, tears, diarrhea. Right now i also have no appetite, forcing food and pretty much living on bananas and all natural peanut butter. Hard to tell what’s withdrawal and what’s just the 30 mg

#19 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:45 AM

Your biggest issue is that you went from 20mg Cymbalta to 30mg for 2 weeks, then back to 20mg, then back to 30 and are now slowly weaning. 

Your brain won't have a clue what is going on. It is very difficult for me to tell you, but you will have a few weeks of difficulty as a result. The best thing you can do is a steady drop. But there will be no harm in you starting the drop now as you brain will still settle on a slow withdrawal. Normally we would suggest to stay put on the last dose for a while to get stable, but you are not in a position to do that due to the over prescribing. 

My advice would be to slowly start to wean off to allow the brain to stabalise at first, and then potentially up the drop a little, but then putting the brakes on again around the 10mg mark. 

Two last questions;

1) When you did your drop from 60mg to 20mg, what was the rate at which you dropped?

2) How many beads are in your 30mg capsules?

IUN

#20 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:05 AM

I fully agree with IUN's approach. It maybe a rough ride but it will get better. There are some supplements and/or prescription meds that can help with the withdrawal symptoms. Have you tried anything else at this point?

#21 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:21 AM

IUN, I only went from 20 to 30 for 13 days once. Prior to that, I was slowly weaning off the 20mg. We went back up to 20 and then to 30 for a couple weeks and then to 30 for 13 days. There are 176 beads in my capsule. So I guess I stay with a one bead per week reduction.

#22 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:32 AM

I see no issue with that. It that gets to difficult then you can always slow down the drop rate but that is a good place to start.

#23 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:33 AM

Sorry for the confusion, IUN, after 13 days at 30mg, I dropped 20 beads - way too much. Will stick with the one per week and tough it out

#24 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:48 AM

Fishinghat, haven’t tried any supplements yet.

#25 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:09 AM

If you look over our ebook there are many things mentioned that have helped others. In a couple hours I will try and post some info for you to consider.

#26 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:16 AM

OK... but even those few days is enough to mess things up. Synapses will have made significant changes within 7-10 days which is why when people stop cold turkey even after 2 weeks, they still find themselves having a rough time.

Personally, I would say a bead per week is a erring a little too much on the side of caution given the bead count. But if you give yourself a couple of weeks and then try dropping a bead every 3 days and see how that works. I know this is potentially a 12 months withdrawal, but if that is what it takes for you to feel stable, then so be it.

#27 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:56 PM

My goal for right now is to get back to 20 where I could at least get through the days without so much pain. So about 60 beads

#28 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:12 PM

Items Proven to Help Many with Cymbalta Withdrawal.

Page 1

Diphenhydramine, (over the counter) also known as Benadryl, is an antihistamine and as such is not only used for allergies/colds but also as a sleep aide. It does have a mild anxiolytic effect. May lower blood pressure and cause irregular heartbeats. Your body does build up tolerance to it after a few weeks so use it off and on. This medicine has many drug interactions.

Begins working in 15 to 30 minutes

Peak levels - 2 to 2.5 hrs

Half Life – 4 to 6 hrs

Use by members for anxiety relief and to help sleep is too numerous to mention. 

Diphenhydramine should NOT be taken with hydroxyzine. Drugs.com

serendipity - I found Benadryl to produce hangover effects, and cause palpitations when taken long term. Even if you wake up in the middle of the night, and can't get back to sleep, even a teeny amount (say, 15mg) can induce sleep again. 

Schmb - Benadryl worked on a limited basis for me, because sometimes it makes me jittery, and that only made the zaps much worse, so just use some caution in case you are sensitive to it.

FH - One caution on benadryl. It is famous for bad reactions with other medicine so check your compatability closely. The maximum dosage of benadryl is 25 to 50 mg every 4 to 6 hours and do not surpass 300 mg in a day.

Benadryl Total

Medicinal ingredients:

•Acetaminophen, 500 mg

•Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, 25 mg

•Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride, 30 mg

It contains diphenhydramine which is the active ingredient in regular Benadryl and also pseudoephedrine which is common in most cold medicines. The Diphenhydramine helps with sleep and anxiety and the pseudoephedrine helps block the action of adrenaline which produces a calming effect. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#29 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,195 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:26 PM

Dramamine is also very similar in producing similar effects. 

Very small amounts of liquid Melatonin help others.

Omega 3 with high EPA/DHA is a very popular choice to help head symptoms.

Suntheanine and Ashwagandha also help a lot with anxiety and nerves. 

There are loads of options, but the thing to remember is to try one at a time so you can accurately judge the benefits independently.

Maybe NAC would be of use in current situation... Hat?

#30 coleenjo

coleenjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:00 AM

Have used Benadryl before (very rarely) after several nights of shortened sleep due to stress. So I will try a small dose of that first. Just to be able to sleep beyond 4:30 am would be a blessing. Thank you both for being there when there was no one else to turn to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users