• Please log in to reply
845 replies to this topic

#31 debp06

debp06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

oops, sorry, I forgot to list apathy as one of my withdrawal effects. the fact that I didn't notice it in the list must mean something about memory and/or concentration, also...!

#32 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

Welcome to the forum...although, we all wish we never needed it!

For those of you new to this site, please go to the FDA website and file a MedWatch report about your negative experience with Cymbalta. Maybe if enough of us make reports to the FDA, they will eventually have to do something!

#33 megcentricity

megcentricity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

I'm so glad I stumbled across this page. I was beginning to think something was seriously wrong with me. It has been seven days since I took my last does. I can not function.

Side effects while on Cymbalta:
worsening depression - loss of interest in everything...zombie
short term memory loss
weight gain
destroyed immune system
sleep problems

withdrawal:
dizziness/room spins (especially when I move my eyes from side to side)
fever
night sweats
nightmares
extreme fatigue
chest pains
sinus headaches, nothing helps
nauseous
extreme sensitivity to light and noise
brain "zaps" - experienced these when I first started taking Cymbalta

Ugh...is there anything that can help me? I refuse to go on any other antidepressants.

#34 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

Megcentiricy,
You should check out the Nutrition section of this forum. Many people have had success with herbal supplements, vitamins, and improved diets. Good luck!

#35 lloorraaiinnee

lloorraaiinnee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

My side effects while on it were:

nausea - in the beginning
cyst-like acne
sleepless nights
increased sex drive

withdrawals:

increased anxiety
heart palpitations
dizziness
agitation
eye movement making me dizzy and heartrate increase

#36 Weeze

Weeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:08 AM

I don't know how to extricate my side effects from Cymbalta from all the other meds I take. So I'm going to skip straight to the:

Wicked Withdrawal Symptoms

dizziness (all day every day)
nausea ( same)
headache (the hits just keep on comin'!)
insomnia
or, if I do manage to sleep: crazy, crazynightmares/night terrors
brain buzzzzzzzz.. makes my eyeballs jerk, ears ring & stomach flutter
weeping fits
unreasoning anger (oh, it's a PMS re-run. Swell.)
exhaustion..utter & complete. I took a shower today! Put it on the calendar! Get dressed too? Get real.
missing libido now found ( SUPER timing... see above )
irritablility.. similar to calling a T-Rex "difficult " pet
aversion to scents & odors.. even the normally nice ones
feverish sweats.. flopping around the bed trying to find the non-existant cool, dry spot.
chills
indigestion
tintinitus
plotting revenge on the drug company who put me through this. ( just kidding. But if there's a suit, let me know...) :roll:

#37 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

When I first started taking Cymbalta it was a relief - I was in a comfort "zone". However, within a couple of days the side effects started. (I have also been taking wellbutrin - but hit a standstill - so my Dr. recommended adding Cymbalta. ---- I only have memory zaps with wellbutrin - no other side effects).

Nausea (went away after the first month)
cold sweat on my face
crazy body jolts
dry mouth
major sweats (throughout the day) & night sweats
very vivid dreams and nightmares
sores on my legs, arms and scalp - almost like a cyst
insomnia

Even though I had the above side effects, the cymbalta was actually helping my depression. Although after five months of these crazy side effects I started to become depressed again. The vivid nightmares - I would worry about them all day long because they were so real. I'm embarrassed to put on a bathing suit due to all the lesions on my legs. I cannot get my hair colored because of the lesions in my scalp. It takes me 2 or 3 times to get my hair blown dry in the mornings before work - I have very short hair and I can't stop sweating. So, I talked with my doctor - I decided to go off the cymbalta. His suggestion was for me to take half of my current dosage, which is 30 mg for 7 days and then stop completely after day 7. At the same time, start taking a larger dose of wellbutrin.

I've been cymbalta free for 3 days.

I cannot stop crying. I have major anxiety and I cannot stop scratching the sores (I know that sounds gross). I have had suicidal thoughts. I just want to be deleted from everything. I am tired.

Over the past 15 years I have tried paxil, prozac, effexor, celexa, and wellbutrin. I have never had the side effects or feelings that I've had with Cymbalta.

My fiance found this sight yesterday because he could not believe that an antidepressant would have such severe side effects and withdrawals. I'm glad he found it.

I feel terrible that I'm missing work today. How does everyone else handle this...do you miss work? I don't think I'm up to going into work tomorrow, either.

#38 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

Dawn,
Hang in there...it sounds like you are in the worst of the withdrawal symptoms right now! This drug is powerful and you might think some crazy thoughts during withdrawal. But, stay strong...it will get better! Many people have had to miss work because of this drug. I went throught the worst of my withdrawal over July 4th weekend, so I didn't have to miss work then, but I would have if I wasn't scheduled off...I basically stayed in bed for 3 days!

Most people report that the withdrawal symptoms start getting a little better within 1 week. So, just try to get through each day the best you can!

You will make it!!

#39 Sick on Cymbalta

Sick on Cymbalta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:10 PM

OMG - this is scary. I just went off Cymbalta 2 weeks ago (using the 30mg dosage) after 1 year of 60mg daily usage. Each day I feel worse, called the doc to see if he can help. My withdrawal symptoms are almost identical to those posted:

GI Tract upset (as if I had the flu)
Extreme bloating - no matter what I take or do it's never relieved
Over the top spending - and I'm a saver!
General feeling of unwellness (scared I have something really seriously wrong with my health, until I read others who are experiencing same withdrawal symptoms)
Extreme fatigue but can't sleep
Very nauseous, feel like vomiting but doesn't happen
Concentration problems
Sharp pain in my neck and shoulder blades
Gained 12 lbs in one year with no change in diet (I walk 3-4x a week for 30 minutes)
Dizzyness
Eye problems - within the first month of using Cymbalta I got a vitral detachment (just read this has happened to others on another thread)
Joint aches
Utter exhaustion as well
Brain fog
Profuse sweating

I agree with megcentricity - no more antidepressants, will try to handle stress herbally from now on.

#40 amber

amber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

This drug has nearly ruined my life. I hope someone or something can stop this madness one day. My doctor or pharmacist didn't mention a thing about the side effects of drug. Now that I am going off, however, the doctor has a "no big deal" "this is normal" type of attitude about the symptoms. People on street drugs actually go into rehab and detox facilities to get help in battling withdrawal symptoms. How many of us are really out there who are going through these terrible withdrawal symptoms with no help, no warning, etc. Had I known what this drug could have and did do to me, I would have never taken it. I lost so much while on this medication. Here are my symptoms:

Side Effects:
Depression worsened - First couple of months I thought it was a miracle drug. Then suddenly, everything changed. I became more depressed than I was when I went to the doctor to treatment in the first place.
Lethargy - Could barely make it through a work day. Missed so many occassions to have dinner with friends or to hang out after work or on the weekend. Declined most of the time because I was simply to lethargic.
Irritability - Just felt so irritated by everything.
Trouble sleeping - Couldn't sleep. Doctor gave me Ambien which helped.
Nightmares - vivid, crazy, weird, embarassing dreams.
Withdrew from friends and family - Absolutely withdrew from everyone.
Rage - The anger and rage became uncontrollable. Outbursts at work, yelling at family members and loved ones.
Spending/shopping out of control - Always. My outlet became online shopping instead of spending quality time with friends and family.
Weight gain - gained 40 lbs in one year
Suicidal ideation - thought about suicide often. Although I strongly believe I would never do something like that, the fact that the thoughts would continuously enter my mind disturbed me great. I just felt tired of everything. Can't even say it was a depression feeling. Just a feeling like I wanted to disappear and it probably wouldn't make a difference. (I logically know it would but the thoughts were there nevertheless)
Memory problems - Very, very, very bad memory loss. Short term and long term.
Concentration problems - Very difficult to concentrate on tasks, job duties, etc.

Withdrawal Symptoms:
Nausea - No vomiting yet. I felt awful today though.
Brain “zaps” - These are the absolute worst. It's so frequent, it seems to be happening almost every time I blink. Surges of electrical sensations go through my head and down my arms.
Dizziness - Very, very, very dizzy. As if the room is spinning.
Flu-like symptoms - Definitely feel flu like symptoms. In fact, I tried to get off of Cymbalta a number of times but went back on because I was afraid of not being able to work.
Sinus pain - Head and sinuses feel constantly clogged and foggy.
Hot flashes - I have has several hot flashes since I stopped taking Cymbalta 3 days ago. Not only hot flashes but I break out in sweats etc.
Rage - Incredible rage. I can't even put words to it. I feel like a time bomb. I feel so incredibly angry at everything. Things I shouldn't even be angry at. I am easily set off and find myself saying things to my loved ones that are hurtful and mean. I hate this!!!
Mood Swings - I has worse mood swings when I was on Cymbalta. Since coming off, I have been in a constant state of anger, rage, just feel like sobbing.
Crying - Too much. Everything is making me cry. I am so angry at this drug right now that it alone is making me cry.
Suicidal ideation
Concentration problems - Very difficult to concentrate. Hard to get work done. Hard to handle day-to-day tasks.
Nightmares - weird, bizzard and vivid dreams

All I can say at this point is that I am trying so hard to maintain my composure right now. I am definitely praying for everyone else out there that is going through this terrible experience.

#41 1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:47 PM

I stopped Cymbalta on 8/8/08, so it's been 4 days. I'll list the good and bad effects. I was on Lexapro for a few weeks before starting Cymbalta at the end of March '08. Lexapro made me feel like I had the flu with creepy, crawly feelings in my arms and legs. It was so bad, I stayed home for a week. Mr. MD then started me on Cymbalta. This all started because I was very weepy and overeating due to the passing of my father. I was very irritable also, with EVERYONE. So we tried the Cymbalta. It seemed to work. Around the time of the June "tomato scare" I stopped the Cymbalta (30mg). I was very sick, vomiting, nausea, feeling AWFUL for about 2-3 weeks. Then one morning I stepped on the scales and thought, hmm, if I gain any more weight, I'm going to kill myself. (The only food that tasted like anything was BBQ potato chips.) That thought was so strong and real that I started the Cymbalta, again. But, I was also taking other meds for my fibromyalgia, which included tramadol and celebrex, and according to the web, can cause seratonin syndrome if taken with, you guessed it, Cymbalta. Why Mr. MD or Mr. Pharmacist didn't catch this...I don't know. They are both aware of my meds. So, let's here's the list you asked about...
+ effects while on the med
Less moodiness
Less or no crying...which was a bit disturbing
Not irritable
No thoughts of killing self, always +
No trouble sleeping, but that could be the melatonin...
Actually wanting to clean my house (that could be viewed as + or -)
- effects while on the med
Aching joints (which finally made me stop the med)
Aching body
Brain fog...what did I just say?
Creepy crawly feeling in arms and legs-MASKED by celebrex-I stopped that too and the crawlies came back
Attention span of a gnat or a two yr old
Dizzy spells-to the point of not being able to stand up or go to work
Shortness of breath-I have many allergies, but lately I become SOB shortly after taking Cymbalta
Couch potato-I'm usually pretty active, I thought it was due to the depression
Overeating-more BBQ tater chips
Fluid retention-hands and legs-pitting in legs
Weight gain of 10 lbs
Feeling ill all the time, sinus, sore throat, cough, pain, yucky
Withdrawal symptoms-thus far
Dizzy, falling over
Hot flashes/sweats
Lack of concentration
Itching in arms, legs, torso, head....what's left..?
Creepy crawlies in arms, legs
Numbness in feet
Burning sensations in legs
Aching joints
NAUSEA, to the point of vomiting
Lack of appetite, food doesn't taste right-besides the above
Moody-irritable, at times
Needing to be "left alone"...or else...
EXTREME fatigue...just want to sleep-but I'm not over sleeping...
Weird dreams when I do sleep, very vivid
Buzzing in ears
I haven't started crying much, yet, but I think that may be coming in the near future. I had some chest pains yesterday. Wasn't sure what that was. I'm trying benedryl for the itching, doesn't even make me sleepy. Thank heavens I also had some phenergan for the nausea. It's almost like the med is toxic in my system and I can't take it anymore. I had some red hives on my stomach about two days ago. That was a bit of a worry. I had stopped the Celebrex because I didn't think it was helping my joint pain or fibromyalgia. Then that goose bump, creepy crawly sensation came back. I had to choose between being depressed or being in pain. I chose depression, since pain can make you depressed.

Here I've been just dealing with this on my own. Mr. MD just looks confused, tried me on Lyrica-somewhere in the past month. That made me gain about three pounds in 2 days. NO MORE WEIGHT GAIN!!! That took me a week to get over. So, today the itching was SO bad that I thought I'd better see if this was from the withdrawal of Cymbalta, and look what I find. I'm accustomed to dealing with med allergies, so I just thought this was another one of those. So, with chips in hand I bid you all, adieu. I hope those of you who have been on this med longer than me have a good recovery from its effects.

#42 teddybear

teddybear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:22 PM

Hey, I'm new to the board & I'm so glad I found this board. I, too, have been on Cymbalta for almost a year, now. It greatly helped me tolerate "events" at work. I'm ready to come off of it, simply because of the side effects. Like everybody else here, had I known about the withdrawal effects, I never would have started taking this evil med. Why can something so good for you be so bad coming off? I've had the brain zaps while on 30mg and a neurologist put me on 60mg, saying I needed a stronger dose. Never once did he mention these were side effects. I won't go back to him again. Now I've been tapering myself off-----first cut dose in half to 30mg/day for 2 weeks, then for about a week or so, I've taken it every other day.
I hate these brain surges and surges of numbness in tongue, hands, and legs/feet! I almost fell today because of the leg/feet zaps!!!!! I'm going to try taking it at night to see if it helps the surges during the day. I'm not constipated any more!!! I've had a problem with memory.....I told everybody my memory bank is locked and I have no idea how to get into it. Words just are not there....totally blank. I feel like an idiot not being able to come up with the correct words. Again, I'm so greatful I'm not by myself with all of this. Thank you!!! :D

#43 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:15 PM

teddybear,

I'm glad that you found this website. It has been very helpful for me, too. I've been Cymbalta free for 10 days and it's been very difficult.

I know that everyone's withdrawal is different....but please remember one thing - take care of yourself! You will make it! I've learned within the past week or so that it's o.k. to stay in the bed or do whatever that makes you comfortable - you need it to recover.

My Doctor prescribed xanax and ambien for me. I recommend both - I have only taken the xanax when I've felt a lot of anxiety during the day. The ambien is wonderful - it will help you get a good nights sleep.

At day 10, I still have the brain shivers/squeezing but not as bad; my sores/lesions are clearing; and I'm not sweating as much (yay!). The bad part at this point, I still have the nausea (and occasional vomiting, now) and I'm still emotional. It's as if I'm ridding myself of the remainder of the cymbalta by vomiting? Anyway, my Dr is starting me on a very low dose of zoloft tomorrow.

Please take care and remember that there's a lot of us out here! We will beat this abusive drug!!

#44 Jenofhearts

Jenofhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Locationmilwaukee, wi

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

Hi everyone,
I could just copy and paste every post in here on the side effects and withdrawals, I have had so many of the same things. I am weaning off slowly, but I really want my life back..
Take care,
Jen

#45 teddybear

teddybear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

Greybeard,
Thanks for the welcome note. I've had almost every one of these symptoms that've been mentioned. They're horrible!!! I'd thought about taking apart the 60mg capsules(since I'm not taking them anymore) and trying to make a 15mg capsule by pouring half of the 30mg capsule into the shells and trying that for awhile. Maybe then it'd be easier to stop altogether. I felt horrible yesterday. Had to take 1/2 Antivert.....that helped. I took a 30mg last night before bed. Didn't have any problems with sleep or today with dizzy, or falling out feeling when standing up. I've tried Lexapro, that made me feel like I was on a Benadryl high for 2 weeks. Had to stop that. WE'LL GET THROUGH THIS!!!!!

#46 1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:55 AM

Hey, I guess I didn't mention I was new here, too. But thanks for the great welcome.

#47 jean

jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

1984 Just read your post about the itching and rash. I have been having lots of itching and just thought it was dry skin or a bug bite. I have been putting Caladryl ( a lotion ) on my itching areas and it seems to help. Good luck. We are all in this together. Jean

#48 marbles

marbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

I have had almost every symptom except 2 or 3. I am very frightened.

#49 Holly

Holly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

I haven't listed my symptoms yet, since they all seemed covered by everyone else, but one thing I haven't read is lightening bolt or ice-pick head-aches...maybe I just didn't see it on someone else's post. But, these would come on starting on one side of my head and slicing through to the other side, causing me to stop everything and clutch my head, the pain was so intense. Never been one to have head-aches before, but these started while on the cymbalta, and continued for the two weeks into withdrawal.

#50 Lizelle

Lizelle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

WIthdrawals

Bain zaps, almost as if I can hear my eyes move
Terrible tiredness
Rage AND Rage
My eyes are sore
Muscle pain
Body aches
Headaches

I went cold turkey, probably not a good thing to do, but cannot afford to take it any longer. I have been on anti-depressants for the last 13 years. Cymbalta 60mg for the last 2

HOW LONG DOES THIS GO ON????????

#51 marbles

marbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

i am like you, I would never take a med that would make me feel worse if it did not work for me. Medication is a gamble and those with severe depression like me should have been told what could happen if it did not work.Terribly angy at the dr,s who use people like a gyni pig

#52 jean

jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

Greybeard--
Thanks for the information. I clicked on the link you posted and found it very enlightening. It mentions to avoid stimulating the brain. I wonder if it would also be a good idea to avoid any over the counter drugs that have pseudoephedrine in them. These are the decongestants that are now locked up as this is an ingredient that they use to make meth. Also, I did notice someone mentioned they had bruising and bleeding gums. I just noticed a couple of days ago that I have numerous bruises on my arms. Wonder if this is related to the blood clotting mechanisms of Seratonin. Also I did read on the Omega 3 fish oil supplement that I am taking to consult a physician if you have bleeding problems before taking the Omega 3. I should add that I noticed the bruising before I started the Omega 3 so don't think that is the cause but wonder if those of us with bleeding problems need to reconsider taking the Omega 3. Jean

#53 jean

jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

P.S. Greybeard--
I had another thought. You are so right about the business of hives and a possible drug allergy. It is easy to write off all of our symptoms to withdrawal whereas they might be something else. For those of you who are taking Benedryl for withdrawal symptoms be aware that Benedryl is also used to treat allergic reactions. So if your rash gets better when on Benedryl don't just dismiss it. That may really mean you are having an allergic reaction to one of your meds and the Benedryl is treating the symptoms but the only cure for the allergy is to stop taking the particular allergy causing med. An allergy will not go away in fact with each additional dose of the allergy causing med your symptoms will get worse and could be life threatening. So check with your MD if you have the hives. Jean

#54 1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the reply Mr. Greybeard. I'm still itching some, off and on and having the trouble breathing. But...that can be due to "other allergies" I have, which are numerous. I have an epi-pen and know how to use it!

Still having the creepy, crawlies, but not as often. Prior to Cymbalta, I went to the ER and had a neuro workup, . Neuro and Rheumatology don't know what's wrong with me and will be sending me to the "big teaching hospital" to be poked and prodded. Rheumatologist thinks it's just fibromyalgia. I have numbness in my feet, weakness in my leg, which are helped only by celebrex, but not eliminated. It's not neuropathy, according to neuro. Neuo was going down the trail of MS, but.. I don't want to follow.

But...I digress...I was also looking for the reason for the increased PAIN and stiffness in my hands and feet. Could be job related and old age. Could be Cymbalta-not withdrawal, just the med in general? I was "told" by Dr. Rheumo that I have osteoarthritis in my hands. Well, does this become increasingly worse over a period of months? That and the itching made me look into this site. I can't make a fist, all day, with one hand. I was in tears yesterday, gave up, and called Dr. Rheumo-can't see him until 9/8. Tramadol makes the pain bearable in my hands and feet. If I take it at bed time, I wake up less stiff and able to move. If I don't, I have to wait at "least" 30 minutes to move without severe pain and stiffness. (And that's just due to tramadol.)

So, I was thinking...hmm have I really messed myself up with Cymbalta or is it just my job? Not that I don't like my job or want to quit, but I just can't take the pain anymore. And I now know that taking cymbalta with tramadol is a big no-no. Please make everyone aware of this. It could kill you. I've seen people who had seratonin syndrome and they are lucky to be alive.

I guess I need to find a site that deals with arthritis? I'd be fine if I didn't have to use my hands or feet. But that's not really an option. Some days I just wish I could be "pain free". Maybe I have to learn to "embrace my pain"...like you do with other troubles or problems. Just give it to a higher power. I guess I was doing fine for so many years and then I've been a mess since last fall. It's getting on my nerves! Literally! I don't like unsolved mysteries, I want to know what's going on and fix it, and get on with my life. This is just too long and dragged out for me. I had allergy testing last fall and THAT really got the ball rolling.
But, thanks for the replies and help. I'll check out your links. 8-)

#55 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hi Everyone! It's day 12 and my Fiance told me that "I'm Back". I feel great today...seems after a couple really bad days - nausea, vomiting & sweating...there's actually light at the end of the tunnel.

Don't give up! Like I said before, go with the flow and take care of yourself.

For those experiencing the cyst like acne/sores - my doctor prescribed Lidex 0.05% cream...it's working great. You can get it in generic version, fluocinonide.

Also, I've been drinking black tea (iced & hot...I purchased mine from Teavanna.com & Teaguys.com) - you can mix different flavors (sweet cranberry & strawberry pur-urrh (sp?) are my favorites) together and add a little bit of honey...I feel that the tea has also made a difference.

Hang in there!

#56 1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

Greybeard, this doesn't get any better? As far as the arthritis goes, anyway. That is not a happy thought. I wonder why it attacks the joints. I thought maybe Dr. Rheumo had the wrong dx, but maybe it's just my luck. Beginning to feel like Charlie Brown or Ziggy. They are both round, bald, short, and overweight. I hope I don't end up that way!!

What to do for the stiff joints and pain then? Stop whining about it? That might make a few people around me happy. I recall going to my PCP years ago and telling him if he didn't give me something to help the fibromyalgia pain, I'd have to go out on the streets looking for help. He gave me something. I took it for 2 years. It was an antidepressant. I also tried alcohol. That worked pretty good for about 4 years. I think I spent $200 a month on wine or tequila. My liver started to swell-I stopped drinking and started walking everyday. Then, I guess I was fairly ok, but taking something for TMJ pain. Then found tramadol. Sounds like a problem with drugs and alcohol. I admit, I'm not good concerning those things. I self medicate, if those with the power won't help.

Anywho...thanks. Will have to see what to do about all this. I have a low pain threshold, so I feel everything. Sounds like an excuse, probably is. How did I get on this subject anyway? Not happy, joints not happy. Stupid meds. They tell you it will help. I wasn't taking it to help my other problems, just depression. Geeze, I admitted I had a problem and end up with more. Do you think steroids would help or has anyone been given that for arthritis? I don't know, I guess I just forget how bad fibromyalgia can be. I'll have to go on a fast and stop drinking coffee, again. Dr. Rheumo keeps telling me to STOP coffee and SLEEP more. Yeah, well...

#57 quiltville

quiltville

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hi. This is my first time here. I just found this forum. I have been on Cymbalta for nearly 2 years. I thought it was time to come off of it....due to the fact that we have moved and I needed to find a new physician to renew my prescription anyway, I decided there was no time like the present.

I just kept taking it until I was out. With in 2 days I started the flu like symptoms...complete with nausea and vomiting. Headache and dizziness are still hanging on even after a week. It feels like my head is in a water bubble. Especially when I walk. Sitting still I'm okay, but walking..or turning my head, it's like vertigo.

I'm not sleeping well, the hot flashes are bad, and since I am 46, I wasn't sure if they were perimenopause related, and now I find that too is a side effect of cymbalta withdrawl.

How long will this all last? My stomach is upset all the time no matter what I eat. Almost like a bad heartburn feeling. Crackers don't help, nothing helps..and I am crazy insane thirsty all the time. Is this normal?

Bonnie

#58 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

Bonnie,
Your symptoms sound "normal" for Cymbalta withdrawal. Everybody reacts a little different when stopping this drug. You didn't mention what dose you were taking, and that can make a difference in how long and how severe your symptoms might be. I stopped cold turkey from 60 mgs and it was pretty bad. However, on Day 4 of withdrawal, my dr prescribed Prozac to help with the symptoms. It helped a lot, it got rid of most of the symptoms within a few days! I took it for about a month and then stopped it without any adverse reactions.

Most people report relief within 1-2 weeks. The people who take a different anti-dep usually have less severe symptoms, but everyone is a little different. Many people on here have gotten through withdrawal without the help of other antidepressants. There is a section on here about natural supplements and other non-medical suggestions to help with the symptoms.

Most of us on this site have suffered through the withdrawal, so we know what you are going through. We are here to offer support if you need it. Always remember, it does get better...you will feel better!!

#59 mokincaid

mokincaid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

I just have one to add to the list. olifactory hallucinations. I can smell some sort of chemical type smell that nobody else can smell.

#60 quiltville

quiltville

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for those who replied to me. It took me a while to figure out how to FIND my original post and then find the replies to them.

My prescription was for 60mg and I was on it for 2 years.

The worst symptoms for me is the "water on the brain" feeling when moving around, and the queasy tummy. I hadn't thought to try GERD OTC medications,but it might be worth it. I'm trying melatonin about 20 minutes before bed to see if that helps me sleep longer through the night. Last night was the first night and I got 6 hours. That's BIG so far!

Bonnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users