• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shaun

shaun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am having major withdrawal symptoms after stopping 30 mg of Cymbalta 6 days ago and I really need help

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

I have been on Cymbalta for three years for nerve pain caused by MS. I started to wean off of it with my dr.s help and 6 days ago took my last 30 mg pill. Yesterday it was like someone flipped a switch and I went crazy. I was yelling at my kids for no reason and my husband. I also started to have the brain zapps and the the electrical impulse feeling. I called my doctor today and am waiting to hear from them. In the last 30 minutes I have started to have pain around my heart. Is this a withdrawal symptom?

#2 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

Yes, that's one of the symptoms, but you need to call your doctor right away as you need to
always have anything with your heart checked out ASAP.

How long did it take you to get off the dose you were on. I know for me my withdrawls hit
on day 6, how strange. I was fulll of anxiety(this is probally what your feeling in your chest)
couldn't slepp, nightmares, sweating, itching, concentration, disoriented, gosh the list goes
on and on.

This drug takes time to get offf of it, and doctors don't know about the withdrawls at all.
They tell us to cut our dose in half for 2 weeks, and then just stop. There is just no way
that as many people as I have listened to hear that have been able to do that.

Read lots of posts, and see how some of the people are doing it, look back at the older
posts in Weaning Off Cymbalta, and you willl find lots of methods you can think about.

Let me know how long it took for you to get off your Cymbalta.

Here is the site with all the withdrawl symptoms http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Keep real close here, we are alll here to help!

Debbie

#3 shaun

shaun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am having major withdrawal symptoms after stopping 30 mg of Cymbalta 6 days ago and I really need help

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

It has taken me about 3 months to totally get of of Cymbalta. I just took a nap and woke up with a splitting headache but my chest feels a little better. No word from my doctor. Thanks for the link.

#4 shaun

shaun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

my doctor's nurse just called and told me that my doctor wants me to go back on the cymbalta. Should I do this?

#5 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:57 AM

Shaun, I would say it depends on why they want you to take Cymbalta again.

Is it because they know what those of us posting here do? That many people need a much slower withdrawal than is recognized by either the drug company and (as a result) doctors?

Or is it because they think your symptoms are because stopping Cymbalta has exposed underlying depression which needs to be treated?? ( ... with Cymbalta.)

If it's the former, I'd be all in favour, except it's difficult for doctors to advise what those of us here know - that it IS necessary to open and divide the contents of the capsules. I should add it IS important to take any dose of Cymbalta within a gelatine capsule, and not take the little balls on their own. If you do go down that path, it's very easy to buy the empty, clear capsules.
It's a fiddly process, but the choice between what you're feeling, and the success that's possible by tapering down slowly, makes the time you spend well worthwhile.

keep in touch,

maureen.

#6 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

Sounds to me like what my doc said when I called him, and told him what was going
on with me after he decreased my dose from 60 mg to 30 mg. He just said to go
back to the full dose, that what was going on was not due to the Cymbalta.

Doctors do not know about the withdrawls from this drug at all.

Please read the FDA report that Barneey posted, and take a copy to him as well.

This drug is compared with getting off of Oxycotin, but worse!! That should tell
us all something.

I am like Maurene, I did the same, and found out on here how to decrease the drug
at my own pace so I could better tolerate the withdrawl symptoms.

Try this site http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Welcome, and I hope you find the best way to get off this that works for you.

As to you question about going back on it, I owuld to stop the symptoms, and then
start decreasing it very slowly. That is just what I did. You have to make your own
decision.

Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users