Photo

Cymbalta Withdrawal - or something worse??

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 NYMAN

NYMAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am having bad symptoms. I am scared.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hello

I have not used Cymbalta for very long at all. I used Clonazepam after my psyhciatrist prescribed it for a 2 month period. I was going through an extremely stressful time in my life and I was full of anxiety. couldnt sleep...edgy, angry..etc....

After the 2 month period of Clonazepam, my doctor put me on Cymbalta as a long-term solution for my anxiety.

I must confess that the stigma of taking an anti-depressant led to me to waffle with the doses. I was supposed to take it once a day for a week, then twice a day after that.

I only took it once a day for about 2 to 3 weeks. Then I went cold turkey after I chickened out. I felt really sick -- flu-like symptoms.

So I put myself back on it, but only once every other day.

About 10 days into the "once every other day" routine, I started getting bizarre symptoms all at once.

I got tingling and numbness all over my right arm, top of my head on the right side, right side of my face and nose. Then, started feeling light-headed -- a light dizziness. not too bad, but definitely there. Just feeling clumsy, unsteady. Has anyone experienced the tingling and numbness before, coupled with the light-headed feeling???

Now I am off of it altogether because my PCP said I could just stop it now.

Honestly, the symptoms suck but I really dont mind them - even if they last for months. I just need to know that what I am feeling is from Cymbalta and not MS or a brain tumor or some other neurological illness.

I have never ever experienced these symptoms before in my life.

I went to a neurologist who said I do not exhibit any classic symptoms of MS (the numbness and tingling should be more focused - local, not diffused all over the body, as I am experiencing. Also, the physical exam went very well. He does want me to take an MRI, so I will schedule that this Monday.

My eye physician also says that my eyes do NOT behave as someone who has MS.

I am very scared.

Has anyone experienced the tingling and numbness before, coupled with the light-headed feeling???

#2 chrisann03

chrisann03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am on day 3 of quitting cold turkey. very bad vertigo and nausea and multiple other symptoms. i have been reading the site for a few weeks now before actually taking the jump and would love to help contribute and ask questions

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

I personally have the tingling with the light-headedness. I was taking Cymbalta for RLS and Major Depression. My tingling is mainly in my legs so it may just have to do with my RLS and the withdrawal. You can read a big list of withdrawal symptoms on http://www.prozactru...om/cymbalta.htm This helped me a ton to realize what was from the withdrawal and what wasn't. I personally printed this out and highlighted my symptoms and have a copy for myself and my doctor in case I needed to question something. Hope this may help and good luck!

#3 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:45 PM

nyman,
Welcome!
I know those symptoms only to well, I have them, and it's due to the withdrawls of the
Cymbalta. Not medical advice, just personal experience.

Coming off the drug the way you did was too fast, and then your taking it everother
day was also not the way to go.

This is a short life drug, and by skipping a day, you go into withdrawls.

Please read some of the older posts in Weaning Off Cymbalta, and yes go to that site!!!!

Find a way to come off this slowly, and a doctor that will let you go at you own pace.

Also read the FDA report, and take a copy to your doctor.

Stay close, you can get off this crap.

Debbie

#4 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hi Nyman,

I was trying to get off Cymbalta by initially taking the 30mg every other day, too. WRONG! That's when the symptoms drove me to this site,and where I discovered that I was on a constant merry go round of withdrawal and re-introduction symptoms.

I changed to 15mg per day and improved dramatically.

regards, Maureen.

#5 NYMAN

NYMAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

Thank you, folks, for answering me and for the advice. I really hope this is all it is. I really need to go back to the psychiatrist so that he can wean me off. The dizziness is really getting bad. Sometimes I feel like Im going to fall when I move my eyes too quickly.

I do have an MRI scheduled for next week, so I will let everyone know what the results are for those who might be interested.

If anyone else has a comment/experience to share, please feel free.

Once again, thank you for your contributions.

#6 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:47 AM

NYMAN:

I too had tingling..sort of. It got so bad that I felt I had to constantly 'bite' my bottom lip. Also had the same issue with my finger nails. I would 'push' my pointer finger nail under my thumb nail constantly. It was as though I had to feel the tingle/pain. I did some damage and really had to be aware of the biting of the lip and the fingernail pushing. It was a little neurotic. Also, I had an issue with the nerve bundle by my ear that serves my face swelling and causing numbness in my cheek. It went away. It was all disturbing. Sorry you are having to deal with all of this.

Take it easy. Try to reduce stress and multi-tasking as you withdraw.

Best wishes....Houdi

#7 Meanna

Meanna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am scared out of my mind with side effects of cymbalta withdrawals.

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

I had very similar symptoms, but only short term. I was on 30mg for a month, then 60 for a month, then 90 for a month. I immediately went (you can see an older post of mine to know why) from 90mg to 60mg, then after a few days down to 30mg, then cold turkey after a few days of that. Today is day 12 after going cold turkey, and I can't say I really feel that I have anymore side effects. But, one week ago, I had a day when I didn't know for sure if I would be ok and make it through the day/night without going to the ER. I've never had a day as sick as that day.

My hands, feet, teeth, and throat were numb for about 6-7 hours, and I mean really numb. I was constantly having a feeling that I needed to clench my jaw to try to feel my teeth. I tried to keep eating and drinking, but first of all, I couldn't feel my throat, teeth, or tongue, so eating was difficult. Second of all, I had horrible diarrhea, so I was losing fluids and nearly everything I tried to hold down constantly. No fever, so I know it wasn't a virus or the flu. My entire body other than the nauseous stomach was numb for about 2-3 hours. The entire day I felt like my mind was somewhat awake although it felt like I was dreaming, but my body never felt like it woke up. At one point in the later afternoon, I felt an itch on my leg, scratched it and never felt the scratch, but the itch went away. That probably scared me the most. I'm newly 28, so having my extremeties go numb freaked me OUT. Those are often symptoms of a stroke or heart attack. I did have some shortness of breath for about an hour as well. I remember that I couldn't even lift my head to get up and unlock my door for several hours even if there was an emergency and I lost consciousness, which I felt so close to several times although I couldn't sleep (I live alone). I could barely lift my head or use my fingers to text or call anybody anyway. It was a complete and total conscious nightmare. Luckily, I can say that I fed myself stupid that night when I was able to eat (a lot of proteins, and I nearly chugged an entire "bear" container of honey), and the next day I was about 60% better with no numbness.

I'm on day 12 with ZERO cymbalta, and although I only took the horrible drug for about 3-4 months, I can say things are quickly getting back to normal in my head and heart. I'm so proud of myself, because I found this board on that cold, dark, scary day and posted that evening when I could lift my head but not really feel my fingers. I never got any replies, but reading the other posts helped me get through it and feel like I was definately not alone and the symptoms were "normal" in comparison to a lot of others coming off of this horrid drug. I was also tempted to go back and just take one 30mg pill, or open one of those and just get a lick to take away the horrible withdrawals. But, I didn't. I pushed through it, and I can't recommend that to everyone because it really could have been serious to my health, but that night I was determined to get it over with fast like stripping a bandaid off.

I will continue to check this board and answer questions that will hopefully be helpful to others. I found the board relatively too late, unfortunately, otherwise I never would've started this hell-pill. But, knowing I wasn't alone through the last few weeks has made all the difference. As others have said, it assures you that you are NOT crazy, and that you are NOT alone. Hang in there, keep eating and keeping your strength up. Godspeed.

-M

#8 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Meanna,
First off I want to say I am so sorrry that you got no replies!!!! It is rare that
I don't great everyone that's new here! That really makes me feel awful as I
would have hated that to happen to me.

I am so glad that you did find this place, and all the great information, but
sorry you didn't get the support that is so freely given to everyone.
Maybe you post didn't save or something? Where did you put it under?

I am happy for you to be where you are, and doing so great. Yes please
keep us posted on how your doing. I am here for you, and so will the rest
of the people here.

Debbie

#9 NYMAN

NYMAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

I should have asked this from the get-go:

How long does it take for the Cymbalta to work its way out of your system? In other words, how long will this withdrawal last, assuming this is the reason for my symtoms?? It must vary from person to person, but whats a roundabout timeframe? 1 week? 2 weeks?

Whats the longest??

Thanks

#10 barney59

barney59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on Cymbalta for several years and my doctor started weening me off 3 wks ago. I am now having symptoms that I don't understand

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

Nyman

I'm day 19. Today was the first day I felt "somewhat" ok. Brain zaps only bother me now at night when I'm tired. Still have most other symptoms, especially severe achiness and deep pain in my chest. Still having trouble with memory, making decisions, comprehending, as well as, my emotions. Withdrawals are going to vary from person to person. No way to know how long it will last. I would have never thought I would still be dealing with it at this point. This site has been very helpful to me. You can get an understanding as to how everyone is affected by this drug and its withdrawals. Lots of knowledge from caring people that have gone, or are going thru the same thing you are.

B

#11 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:09 PM

Nyman,
I just answered you question in full in another area that you asked the same question.
Go look there to see the information.

Debbie

#12 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

Nyman,
Are you ok? havn't heard from you in awhile, worried.

Debbie

#13 vibgyor8888

vibgyor8888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been taking cymbalta 60 mg for quite sometime. Before that I was on Effexor XR 150 mg. Before that I was also on Wellbutrin XL. I am interested on getting off Cymbalta and sharing with others of a better way

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

I went to the Road Back site. I am not wealthy and can't afford there prices.

vibgyor8888

#14 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

I went to the Road Back site. I am not wealthy and can't afford there prices.

vibgyor8888

Hi,
Welcome, and you don't have to pay anything here, it's all FREE!!! There is no gimic, we just
start my opening the caps, and removing a small portion of the little balls, stay there and see
how you feel, what the withdrawl symptoms are like, because you can alway add some to get them
down to nothing almost.

Stay at a certain dose around 2 weeks, and then do your next decrease.

We will tell you anything you want to know so just ask away. Doctors do not know about the side effects
how to wean you off this stuff or about the side effects. We have been taking them the information, and
now the FDA has finally come out with their report, so get a copy of that here, and give to you doc.

Here is the site with all the withdrawl symptoms, just so you know whatt is really going on with you during the
WD'S http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Take care you are never alone we are here to help!

Debbie

#15 vibgyor8888

vibgyor8888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been taking cymbalta 60 mg for quite sometime. Before that I was on Effexor XR 150 mg. Before that I was also on Wellbutrin XL. I am interested on getting off Cymbalta and sharing with others of a better way

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

The Road Back book is $47.00. They might have good pointers, but I think they are making money off a sorry plight. I also have fibromyalgia, which is why I am on Cymbalta to begin with. I found one site for that condition, which would have cost about $700 a month.
No way!!!!
vibgyor8888

#16 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

Hi,
Saw you other post, and left you a long message, We are FREE here, and you don't
need any book.
Look for your other post, and you will see what I said.

Debbie

#17 NYMAN

NYMAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hi, Debbie and others...

Thank you for your concern.

I said I would get back to you after my MRI, so here I am...sorry I took so long, The MRI was delayed for 2 weeks.

MRI with and without contrast results: all normal.

Tingling, numbness and dizziness symptoms: completely gone.

So, I am very very happy.

Thanks you all for your advice and kind words.

I will post another question since it is related to anxiety, but not necessarily about Cymbalta. Maybe someone has some insight.

Thanks

Victor

#18 nobalta

nobalta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    Huh? I want to share my personal experiences with and without Cymbalta :)

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

Tingling, numbness and dizziness symptoms: completely gone

Hello all, I'm having similar "nasty" feelings in my face.

It's been four weeks since I stopped taking Cymbalta, these symptoms began like a week and half ago. Though I'm having some feeling of pressure and congestion in nose, so it *could* be also sinuitis or such. I don't know. Just happy that dizziness and vertigo have gone away...

#19 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hi nobalta,

I had a few funny facial feelings, too.

I put mine down to the fact that the sinus build up when ON Cymbalta was so bad I was getting pain at the top of a dental implant which was really unpleasant, and was one of the reasons I wanted to stop taking it.

Then when I started tapering, this all started clearing,but felt a bit strange.

Maureen.

#20 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

Tingling, numbness and dizziness symptoms: completely gone

Hello all, I'm having similar "nasty" feelings in my face.

It's been four weeks since I stopped taking Cymbalta, these symptoms began like a week and half ago. Though I'm having some feeling of pressure and congestion in nose, so it *could* be also sinuitis or such. I don't know. Just happy that dizziness and vertigo have gone away...

nobalta,
Godd for you, your so very lucky! If you only knew how many of us have had to go through hell just being on this drug
and now trying ti get off of it.

How much were you on, and for how long? Just curious as it does do different things to different people.

Kepp us posted as to your progress, and here is the site for withdrawl symptoms
http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Keep coming back,
Debbie

#21 nobalta

nobalta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

Hi Maureen and Deborah,

it's so great to realize you aren't alone with this problem called Cymbalta. Of course all doctors and pharmacists try their best to help you, but it's still not enough.

Dizziness, vertigo, muscle tics (is that proper english term?), brain zaps, radio-like sounds, yawning felt strange, loud noises irritated me.

Now it's about four weeks since I took last pill. Only symptoms I can connect to Cymbalta are those tingling sensations and numbness in face. And of course this sinuitis like nasal problem.

It surely takes patience to get rid of Cymbalta...

#22 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hey,
If your not suffering that much your really lucky as hell. That is a hard way to do this, but
if I only had those withdrawls I too could hang I think, you just make it sound so darn easy.

All I do know is that we are all so different, and you are just one of the very lucky one!

Always know if it does become unbearable that you do have options!

Debbie

#23 nobalta

nobalta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

Don't know if this is or has been easy. I have been so ready to walk into ER during the first nights. It took some time to realize that it's just the pills going away. Being lonely in quiet night gives too much time to think... No no, it helped that I didn't just didn't sit and worry. I needed something to keep me busy. Take a walk, think about warm summer, hug your loved one if possible, test your faith/spiritual side, read a book, watch a movie, eat a sandwich, write a letter...

If there's anything I can do to help others getting rid of Cymbalta, just let me know. You can do it.

#24 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

nobalta,
Sorry if I got that wrong. So used to hearing so much more going on, and that is why I just
took it you were saying it wasn't that bad at all.

I know for me it's been a living nightmare being on this crap the 3 years I was on it, and now
since Aug 31, 09 when I finally found out what was really wrong with me was the drug had
caused all the damage, now the withdrawls at times are just like I am back on the crap and
have never reduced from 60 mg to now 21 mg as of yesterday.

I only want to feel like I have bllod in my veins, and have a life ahead of me that will be more
than just coming off, and healing from all this damage done to my by Cymbalta.

I do hope that you are doing better today, as it does get better, or I wouldn't have stuck it
out all this time, something inside of me just knows!

Debbie

#25 vibgyor8888

vibgyor8888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

Does Effexor affect the sinuses the same way. I was on Effexor XR and my doctor switched me to Cymbalta because of that syndrome that some people say is all in one's head: Fibromyalgia. Sinus conditions are one of the symptoms of Fibro.
Vibgyor

#26 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

Does Effexor affect the sinuses the same way. I was on Effexor XR and my doctor switched me to Cymbalta because of that syndrome that some people say is all in one's head: Fibromyalgia. Sinus conditions are one of the symptoms of Fibro.
Vibgyor

Vibgyor,
Welcome, and you having a side effect of Cymbalta, but also a withdrawl from the Effexor.
Doctors do not know how to take people off either of these meds. Check out you tube Effexor
Also http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

There is also a FDA report that you can print out, and take to your doc's so they can see it's not
all in your head.

Just as a suggestion, I would not stay on the Cymbalta. If you just started it stop it now.
How long have you been on it? It is the worst drug out there, and that's why we are all
here is due to the side effects, and the horrific withdrawls. Those can take from 6 mo.
to 2 years.

Please read as many posts here so you do get an idea of what it was like for so many of us to
even be on this drug period, but also the withdrawls. Look in Cymbalta withdrawls.

Doctors had this out like candy for Fibro, and everything else these days, they just don't know
how bad it is.

Debbie

#27 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

Vibgyor

Hi, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. (I also don't have fibromyalgia, and didn't know there was a sunis connection.)

I switched from Lexapro to Cymbalta several months ago, and after a few months on Cymbalta wanted to stop because 1) I felt I didn't need it anymore and 2) a few of the side effects were difficult for me, one of which was sinus pain.

Like half the world, I have SOME ongoing sinus problems, but just have to live with it, which isn't too bad because it clears reasonably well, and because of a history of blood pressure, can't take a lot of the sinus medications. It's rarely bad enough for me to need to do so.

But Cymbalta 'blocked up' my sinusus to the point where I was getting severe pain at the site of a dental implant.

Don't know if that helps or hinders, sorry!

Maureen.

#28 nobalta

nobalta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:03 AM

But Cymbalta 'blocked up' my sinusus to the point where I was getting severe pain at the site of a dental implant.

Just walked home from local general hospital (not the one I got Cymbalta from), they said my nasal problems have nothing to do with sinuitis. X-rays were clean, ultrasound didn't show anything strange. And of course... everyone was like "No no no no, withdrawal symptoms so many weeks afterwards? No no, impossible!"

Well, the feeling of pressure on both cheeks and nose is still here. It was new to me that it could be fibro related, because that is what I got Cymbalta for in first place. Or actually Doc didn't give any certain diagnosis on anything, just tickets for Cymbalta Tour 2009 :)

Sometimes I just feel so confused

#29 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:13 PM

nobalta,
Since I have been on this stuff I can't tell you how many bottles of pills I have been given
for all kinds of different medical dx that I didn't even have, and were all Cymbalta related.

Of course I ended up not taking them, as they never stayed, also oneday I looked at how
many pills I was taking eachday, and it was 28! I had never in my life had to take anything
so I just knew something else,( but what at the time I didn't know)was causing all of this.

Even now I will still get these weird things that will happen, and I just now chalk it up to
this stupid drug, and the side effects it has caused me.

I don't believe anything good comes from this drug. Well some say it works!??

Debbie

#30 nobalta

nobalta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:25 AM

I don't believe anything good comes from this drug. Well some say it works!??

Me neither. I have felt so much more bad things (side effects, now withdrawal) than good ones (little help on muscle/joint pains).

Is it totally stupid idea if I start a new thread about my experiences in detail? At this moment, I barely know that I did quit Cymbalta few weeks ago and nasty things are going on. I've written some notes during the time, but no idea what to do with them, share them here or with my doc or both... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users