Photo

Cymbalta Withdrawal And Buspirone/buspar Reinstate.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LightJoyPeace

LightJoyPeace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 05:20 PM

Hi, this is my first post. I just joined. I don't know what to do about my situation. 

I started 10 years ago with Cymbalta at 30mg, but did not take it consistently until 2018 at 60mg. In 2018, I also started 15mg of Buspirone/Buspar and went up to 30 mg in 2019. I never heard about withdrawal systems so I just tapered off Buspirone on my own while I was on Cymbalta. I was fine at that time. Then I told my Psych PA last year summer/fall while on Cymbalta and no Buspirone that I wanted to get off Cymbalta. She told me to do it in 6 weeks, 60-40-20-0. So I did. And it's been 3 months and I'm going through hell. So I asked to be put back on Buspirone. It's been 3 weeks and I can't find the right timing and dosage for the Buspirone to work. I'm nervous, anxious, restless, can't sleep. I don't know what to do. I was told to reinstate Cymbalta at a low dose. What dose? It's been almost 3.5 months since my last dose of Cymbalta. Do I continue with Buspirone? Sometimes, it helps and sometimes I get more anxiety and can't sit still. I've been taking melatonin, but maybe too much since it doesn't always help. I had to take half a pill of .25mg Zanax today because it got so bad. I just don't know what to do. 

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 March 2023 - 07:30 AM

Welcome LJP

Unluckily doctors are not trained on withdrawals from antidepressants. Like us consumers they learn from trial and error. There are some simple things I would like to mention. 

1) Cymbalta helps regulate serotonin and norepinephrine which are neurotransmitters that help control mode.

2) Buspirone is a weak regulator of serotonin so even if it is taken to help symptoms the effects are only minimal on the serotonin issue and it does not effect norepinephrine so effect on the withdrawal symptoms is very minimal. 

3) While some people have little to no withdrawal from Cymbalta there are many who suffer terribly. I have been on this site for 10 years now and can say that it typically has taken members 1 to 3 years to recover. There are things that can help and for that I refer you to our free ebook which documents things members have tried and what results they achieved, diet, medical research and much more. It also covers prescription drugs and supplements that may help as well. 

ebook

https://www.keepands...meg?dn=y&dnad=y

We have all been through this torture and understand. You are not alone. ANY questions you might have please feel free to post and we will do our best to answer as best as we can. 

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 March 2023 - 07:34 AM

Oh yea, just wanted to mention that reinstating Cymbalta is fairly successful if done within a week or two of stopping the drug but for periods longer than that it has been our observation that there is only a 50/50 chance it will help. That doesn't mean not to try reinstatement. I just want to put it into perspective for you as what to expect. If you decide to reinstate and then wean off slowly after stabilizing the ebook has a whole section on what is called bead counting so that it can be done slowly and more controlled.

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 13 March 2023 - 09:10 PM

Hi LJP...

Hat has got this pretty much covered..

Long story short, you should have reinstated the Cymbalta as that is what is causing the issues for sure. As Hat said, the two meds control different chemicals and/or different levels of each. But one thing is for sure, your withdrawal was way too quick in 6 weeks, so it is no wonder that you are feeling the way that you are.

Again, as Hat said, a lot of doctors and psyh's are not trained well to know how to deal with this sort of situation.

Its a pain that you have been 14 or so weeks without the Cymbalta as reinstating it at this point might be quite tough. I would say it is a 50/50 chance that you will see an improvement from starting to take a dose of Cymbalta again. Everyone is different at this point.

Bead counting is the way to ease off the Cymbalta, but now it is a question as to whether you go back on them. I cannot say with any certainty if it will work - and neither can any other professional. Again, such a shame that they do not know what they are doing.

We are frequently faced with members asking these sorts of questions following bad advice from doctors or psych's. 

Ultimately, only you can make the decision, but you have for sure reinstated the wrong med. It won't do much for you at all. It may be that you start another anti depressant to take the edge off what you are feeling. Prozac is often a good bet for this - just to bridge you over this nasty stuff you are going through.

As Hat said, the eBook covers this in a lot of detail - please ask any questions and we will be here to help you...

IUN

#5 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 March 2023 - 03:26 PM

Not heard from you in a couple of weeks - how are you doing?

Do not worry if things are difficult and you cannot reply just now - but now that we are here to help you...

IUN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users