9 replies to this topic

#1 looneytune

looneytune

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 01:49 PM

Due to see my Doc for review in 12 or so days. At the appointment I shall have been on duloxetine for a total of 8 weeks

Long story short.......initially she gave me Duloxetine 30mg which I suffered from the usual worsening of conditions but they became a little more manageable towards end of 4 weeks

At week 4 review she upped the 30mg to 60mg. Seven days into the new dosage all was well but day eight and the following week was terror,the usual suspects,anxiety/lower moods an ZERO energy. All this accompanied with 12 days of urine like diarrhoea,which I still have

The dose of the runs may be easing, visits wise, but not intensity and if it keeps up when when I next see doc it will be 21 day of the shitz

After two weeks trial on the 60mg higher dose doc reduced me to 40mg......and I think I am in day 4 of new 40mg dose and suffering somewhat......a mad as this sounds, from the step down to 40 from 60 ...........

SORE BONES, pelvis pain/eye socket pain  :) / high temperature and night sweats and complete indifference to everything and bed bound with flu like energy

Could that be the 60 to 40 drop? ANYWAYS, after the ramble here's my question......if the doctor and I agree that the meds are not for me how do I safely taper drugs that I have only been taking 8 weeks?

30mg for 4 weeks

60mg for 2 weeks

40mg for 2 weeks

I am in the 10% doc says that struggles with AD meds and this has been going on with 6 meds over two years...running out of will and endurance for any more

Thanks guys and Gals xxx

#2 looneytune

looneytune

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 02:59 PM

Is there no love/positive stories on this med.....I didn't join just to learn how to stop, i was hoping for some encouragement in their use too!

#3 looneytune

looneytune

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 03:27 PM

I am at a loss here. What would you suggest as an alternative to Duloxetine......Citalopram, Benzos, Mitazapine (an anti histamine no less) Venlafaxine, Sertraline?

Everyone one of these alternative have web sites are choc FULL of DON'T USE HORROR stories....and one man's meat......mirtazapine works GREAT for me in every way and is a dawdle to stop, thing is it messes my breathing up so can't use

Very confused

PS I have heard that it was MUCH harder to stop Venlafaxine compared to Duloxetine

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 September 2023 - 06:09 PM

"Could that be the 60 to 40 drop? "

Absolutely.

"PS I have heard that it was MUCH harder to stop Venlafaxine compared to Duloxetine"

I agree.

Have you been on the antidepressants for anxiety or depression LT?

There are some good prescription meds for anxiety with little or no withdrawal. Best bet on depression is kratom but I am not that knowledgeable about it. IUN is the guru for kratom and I am sure he will respond. Let me know: anxiety or depression.

#5 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 25 September 2023 - 06:30 PM

I need to put it to you straight. An updose of 100% from 30mg to 60mg is going to carry with it a lot if issues.

You need to reset the counter again. 

You will have the same issues from 4-8 weeks as you did from 1-4 weeks. That is no doubt.

I know it is difficult, but you will need to give this new dose another 4 weeks at least before bailing on it.

I know my response is firm, but it is true. It is horrible. I  - amongst others - have been there before.

IUN

#6 looneytune

looneytune

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 10:00 AM

"Could that be the 60 to 40 drop? "

Absolutely.

"PS I have heard that it was MUCH harder to stop Venlafaxine compared to Duloxetine"

I agree.

Have you been on the antidepressants for anxiety or depression LT?

There are some good prescription meds for anxiety with little or no withdrawal. Best bet on depression is kratom but I am not that knowledgeable about it. IUN is the guru for kratom and I am sure he will respond. Let me know: anxiety or depression.

Mr Hat   :)

I am now 68 and depression is an old friend,one that I have managed without meds since my 20s....down times were relatively short...I also think I was predisposed to it

certain childhood traumas did not help of course

11 years ago I had a breakdown of sorts (my 1st) that lasted 3 months and I was introduced to depressions best friend, ANXIETY.......YIKES, different ball game completely

Currently on 40mg and it's only day 5 since my Docs more realistic reduced dose and here is where i will be staying I guess

Not waking any more at 5am frantic with unknown worry and intrusive thoughts have lessened too....just a little FLAT and tired but we will see how that pans out

Diarrhoea  kicked in at the 30mg to 60mg upgrade and has not stopped since, even since my down scale to 40mg.....I guess i could give the 40mg and associated runs a few more weeks (I'm happy to) it would just be God's final joke to come off them because of the never ending shitz after spending two years looking for a suitable AD

Thanks guys. You are some team  :)

PS I will tell y'all one thing tough that I have learned,Docs know sh*t about coming OFF drugs and the pharmaceutical companies do know, but ain't saying

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 September 2023 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the info LT. 

Like I said, kratom is the best option I know of for your depression but IUN knows more than I do about that. There are several good threads on the use of kratom that you might want to look at. There is a search bar at the top right-hand corner of this page.

As far as anxiety is concerned I would recommend taking either hydroxyzine or clonidine for that. Neither one has a withdrawal!! They have worked wonders for me and many others here. There are a li9st of does and don'ts in the ebook that help you develop life style changes that can help with both anxiety and/or depression. I have copied it below for your review.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 September 2023 - 11:59 AM

Dos and Don'ts

DON'T ...
...take Omeprazole (Prilosec)
Caution - Omeprazole causes the increased absorbtion of nearly 500 medications. It should NOT be taken with.....
Benzos, Atenolol, Celexa, Lexapro and many other ssri and snri, st. john's wort, etc.

...take St. John's Wort, 5HTP, tryptophan, SAMe, Dextromethorphan (a cough syrup/cold medicine) with an antidepressant - Serotonin Syndrome.

Don't take Stimulants (Make anxiety worse) such as...
Caffeine 
Over-the-counter cold preparations contain phenylpropylamine and pseudoephedrine*
Sleep deprivation
Marijuana*
Magnesium*
MSG
Alcohol
Stress
amphetamines
ecstasy
nicotine
Ginseng
L-Tyrosine 
B Vitamins*
aspartame
Coconut Oil 
Taurine 
DHEA 
Ginkgo 
Iodine 
Arginine
Sugar
Kava
* - Only some people have this reaction.

Things containing caffeine..
Coffee, Espresso, Cappuccino, some Teas,  Low calorie, non-cola soda containing aspartame,  Low calorie colas containing aspartame or saccharine, Energy drinks, Some types of alcoholic drinks.
Chocolate ....Baking, Dark, Sweet and semisweet, Pudding, Cereals, Fudge , Milk chocolate, Syrup, Mousse, Soymilk, Fat free cookies, Cookies, Cake, Frozen Yogurt, Ice cream, Frosting, and Shakes .
Java Pops, Chai Mints, Green Tea, Warp Mints, Penguin mints, and cinnamons. Caffeinated Energy Strips, Caffeinated Fruity Lollipops, HyDrive Energy Chews, Caffeinated Nixie Tubes, Foosh Energy Mints, Atomic Energy Bites, Buzz Bites, KickBricks, Energy Chews, Reload Energy Strips, Movit Gummies, Caffeinated jellybeans, Morning Spark, Oatmeal, Sumseeds (caffeinated sunflower seeds), Lightning Rods (beef sticks), Engobi "Energy Go Bites" (crispy snacks), Jolt Gum, Blitz Energy Gum, Think Gum Stay Alert, Vibe Black, Black Go Fast!, Dozens and dozens of herbal supplements.

List of energy drinks with caffiene. (over 100)

...take Depressants (Make depression worse)
Oxalic acid is found in members of the spinach family and cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, chives and lamb's quarters are high in oxalates, as are sorrel and parsley. Rhubarb leaves contain about 0.5% oxalic acid.
It can cause depression, lack of minerals, kidney stones, and more. Cooking does not affect oxalic acid. People with kidney disease, a history of kidney stones or suffer from depression should avoid these foods. 

other depressants:
Aspartame
Gluten
High Fat Dairy
Sugar 
alcohol
Trans fats
Sodium 
Caffiene
Pesticide residue on foods
GHB
exposure to organic solvents (paint, varnish, stains, cleaning solvents, paint thinner, etc).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do...

take 500 mg of vitamin C per day or 300 mg of NAC - (N-acety cysteine) an antioxidant

learn Cognative Behavioral Therapy or Mindfulness

sleep as much as possible

Keeping a Journal  - Don't trust your memory during withdrawal.

Stay hydrated

#9 looneytune

looneytune

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for that FH  thanks  :)

#10 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 26 September 2023 - 02:58 PM

Hi looneytune,

Sorry to read of your past issues - you have done well to deal with them as long as you have... and some good advice, as always, from Hat. 

Apologies, I missed the part where Hat spoke of Kratom - and he is absolutely right that it is quite likely to help you.

Kratom has certainly helped a LOT of people all over the world, and following the acceptance of its use by the World Health Organisation, it is certainly becoming a more recognised medicinal alternative.

Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding it. I have been taking it for around 4 years now and have helped lots of others with depression, anxiety, arthritis, pain, seizures...

There are many variants (based on where the tree is grown) and different colours (based on the age of the leaf). So typically you will find a combination that will help you with your condition. Again, just ask any questions and I will be happy to help.

IUN 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users