• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 04:38 AM

Hi! I was on Cymbalta for three weeks and it did ease my anxiety a bit, but the side effects were too much. I stopped cold turkey and I know thats not ideal I couldn't take it. I woke up yesterday with severe cramping in my leg. My anxiety is making me convinced this is not withdrawal but some terrible diesese. Can anyone else relate?

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 November 2023 - 01:21 PM

Sorry to be so slow to respond but was just released from the hospital yesterday with a herniated disc so will need to keep this short.

With the cold turkey withdrawal the spike in anxiety is totally expected and as each of us is different in what extent Cymbalta withdrawal effects us it is hard to say how good or bad this will be. Within 48 to 72 hours after your last dose you will have a good idea of what lies ahead. 

Also remember that most antidepressants effect the amygdala and hippocampus areas of the brain. These two areas not only are essential for anxiety and depression processing but also are the centers for fear, panic, paranoia and obsessive thought. So the worries that this is some terrible disease is very very normal. Realize that your feeling this way is a chemical process in the brain and you can't "power" past it or force it away but realize it is normal. Like I said in a day or two your withdrawal symptoms will be more apparent and hopefully not worse. 

Something you may wish to do is look at our free ebook which will get you off to a good start in being prepared if things get worse. We are always around so when you have questions please let us know.

I will post the link to the ebook below.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 November 2023 - 01:24 PM

If you have any trouble loading this or any questions let us know.

Table of Contents | PDF Host

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 01 November 2023 - 06:56 PM

Hi mcd and welcome to the forum,

My apologies for also not getting back until later in the day, but as Hat said, this is textbook for what you have described. 

We have had people convinced that they are going to die during withdrawal - and this is nothing to be underrated. It can feel THAT bad. But yes, cold turkey even after three weeks can have nasty consequences. I myself tapered onto Cymbalta and had 4 weeks on it alone, and coming off it I felt like nothing on earth.

Both Hat and myself have seen so many similar circumstances - what you have is NOT a disease, I can assure you. This is absolutely withdrawal.

As bad as it may seem, you need to white-knuckle it through the next couple of days, after which you should start to feel better.

Please keep in touch - we will do all we can to help you in your situation. 

IUN

#5 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 01:54 AM

I honestly cant express how good this makes me feel. a day after I stopped taking the meds I got a terrible pain in my calf, as if I have pulled a muscle...which is quite possible, but of course I am convinced it its MS not a pulled muscle. This forum makes me feel very seen and normal, thank you both for the resources. 

#6 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2023 - 02:37 AM

I hope your back is healing, IUN.

Curious on what I should expect if I stopped meds on the 28th, do you think withdrawal will last longer than a week?

-ie

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 November 2023 - 07:45 AM

What is your current dose and how long have you been on it?

#8 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2023 - 10:59 AM

I stopped cold turkey. I was on 40mg for three weeks. Its started taking away any pleasure or interest and I couldnt take it. 

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 November 2023 - 11:51 AM

That is what I remembered but at my age you can't trust your memory.  lol

The length of time that withdrawal lasts in these conditions varies but just an educated guess would be 1 to 3 weeks. 

Thanks for asking about my back. Still real bad and I have an appointment with my surgeon on Monday to discuss surgery. Urgggh!! 

That is life I guess.

#10 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 04 November 2023 - 08:52 PM

Hi MCD...

I am so glad you have found our forum as there is so much information on here that will help you for relieving the issues of Cymbalta. 

We will help you as much as we can. 

You really need to separate the symptoms of other issues from that of the withdrawal from Cymbalta, and that is what we are here for,

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. We will help you as much as we can...

IUN

#11 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2023 - 11:11 PM

I am so so so grateful for this forum!

Fishinghat...I hope you get answers for your back soon.

I have what feels like light pins and needles in my legs, or some chills. Headaches now and again, not severe, nasusea at times, and radome aches in my bones and muscles, some that I have had in the past but seem to be 'flaring up'.

I pulled a muscle last week, the same day I went off Cymbalta and was nearly unable to walk on that leg for a few days, it seems to be healing and Im much better.

I went on Cymbalta after literally 7 months of dental pain. It started with a root canal that was badly treated and needed to be redone, once that was done and dusted I had a different issue that was difficult to source. I ended up with 8 dentists in my mouth around this time. I have ifnally found a woman I truly trust and has helped. However she has worked on three teeth on the same side, and the work was invasive and deep resulting in a very long healing time. I am verging on 6 weeks post op and still have daily twinges but have some hope in that my days are not dictated by my inability to function. 

Becuase I wasnt finding answers I started googling...not good for my nervous system. I found too many very scary rare cases online. I was...am? convinced I have something terrible happening in my body. So I went to my doc. for some help as well as request of anxiety meds. I also fully trust her. She has ordered a CT scan 'to rule things out' and also put me on Cymbalta for anxiety and to help manage any nerve damage. I see her point and was grateful. However, as a small body with a very sensative nervous system it really messed me up...even if it took some of the anxiety away. 

SO after almost three weeks I was left feeling dull, and I thought I cant be like this, so I chose to stop...cold turkey. 

As a note, I was on prozac for about 4 years and found it to be transformative for me, but I did go off when I had worked though so much in therapy. I went uber slow on tapering, it took me nearly a year and I am so glad I did. For whatever reason I had zero desire to do this with Cymbalta.

I am so so so grateful to have a place to turn too rather than googling things that I know will put me back in the place where I was leading to my decision to go on cymbalta.

-ie

#12 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 November 2023 - 04:28 PM

Good to hear from you again MCD....

I am so sorry to hear what you have been through with your dental pain. That is a phenomenal amount to have gone through. My sincere congratulations for going through that - that shows immense bravery.

"I have what feels like light pins and needles in my legs, or some chills. Headaches now and again, not severe, nasusea at times, and radome aches in my bones and muscles, some that I have had in the past but seem to be 'flaring up'."

The pins and needles is VERY common despite the patient information leaflet saying otherwise. Just search the forum and you will find plenty of our members talking of the same. Headaches and/or fog can also be expected. Even the aches you mention I can recall people mentioning. I am quite sure that it will all pass with time and there is nothing immediate to concern yourself with. 

Again, I was also only on Cymbalta for a few weeks before coming off, and it was hell for sure. I went from Venlafaxine, to Cymbalta, to Escitalopram, to Citalopram in the space of 6 months! I can't tell you what I went through, but it is all on the forum somewhere. When things get me down so much, I do read it just to remind myself what we (humans, not just me), can put up with. 

It is what other members here (Hat, Gail, LDN, AJ - many others) that got me through this. I just kept telling myself that if these guys could get through what they did, then so can I...!!!!

That is why I knew, and know, you will too.

Prozac was the very first "proper" anti-depressant (bought to you from Eli Lilly - the same as Cymbalta). I won't tell you the corruption of how they took over the mental health market, but I still stand by my thoughts in saying that what we have pre-1991, was doing just fine before SSRI's. But that is a whole other forum right there!! LOL

But you are right to search on here rather than "Doctor Google"!! Hat and myself are always keeping up with peer-reviewed medical papers to give accurate information. We don't "Google". 

Google has its place, but not always well in this place. Just be careful... and if you are ever in any doubt, seek professional advice.

IUN 

• mcd likes this

#13 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 03:21 AM

Its been hell. But Ive had a BIG year of good things as well, and am trying to make some major changes. 

Thank you for your help. I also need to remind myself that withdrawal is the body craving the thing its lacking, when its potassium you eat a banana bc its good for you, when its a drug that does damage you need to ride out that craving and it will beg with aches and anxieties to go back.

Lastly....blurry vision or visual changes I am having those occasionally. I hope that too is just a withdrawal. crikey. this is a ride. I am off them one week tomorrow. 

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 November 2023 - 01:54 PM

"blurry vision or visual changes I am having those occasionally. I hope that too is just a withdrawal."

Very common.

#15 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 02:47 PM

:wub:  I went off Cymbalta and am now on 'fishinghat'...best cure for anxiety Ive discovered. 

#16 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 November 2023 - 04:33 PM

:wub:  I went off Cymbalta and am now on 'fishinghat'...best cure for anxiety Ive discovered. 

FishingHat comes in a various doses, is very addictive, but does not have a withdrawal  :D  :D

#17 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 12:18 PM

day of hell in terms of pain from my dental work. It is apparently nerve damage that will be healing in its own time. 

on top of that nausea after eating and aches all over my body that paracetamol or Ibuprofen will not help. small little electric shocks all over my body all day and I am boiling this down to withdrawal. 

Anxiety is high. So fucking tired. trying to just keep sane and hope for a break in this pain and answers or less pain, or shifts. I shifted into pain with no reason so I hope I can shift out of it. 

So grateful for all the posts regarding other peoples symptoms it gives me comfort that this is withdrawal and not something else major. Still fearing my CT scan next week. 

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 November 2023 - 08:37 AM

It is hard enough to deal with the withdrawal without all these other issues.

As far as sleep is concerned, have you tried a little sublingual melatonin before bed? It may help some and is very safe. It can also help some with anxiety.

#19 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2023 - 11:47 AM

yes. The sole reason I went on Cymbalta was because of this event. I still have some blurry vision issues, some random electric weird things. I just want to get the scan done and get some answers which is hopefully less stress. I am in a constant worst case scenario mind set. 

#20 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 November 2023 - 01:34 PM

The nausea is still gripping on, comes and goes. Vision not 100% at times either. depressed and anxiety is back full force. 1.5 weeks off. 

Last round with dentist today and feeling as if I am not sick, I have some major trauma in my mouth that are still healing. 

#21 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 10 November 2023 - 04:29 PM

I am so sorry to read of what you are going through. This must be horrendous for you. 

The little electric shocks will surely be as a result of the nerve damage. I can't believe how much you have suffered as a result of the dentistry, and i really hope you get some answers from the scan - please keep us updated.

It is incredible how much one area can affect multiple other areas.

Sending hugs...

IUN

#22 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 11:52 AM

This forum keeps me from googling things I dont need to know about. I am so grateful for the support. The anxiety is absolutely back, I feel so weak and unable to cope, but keeping it minute to minute. 

#23 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 11 November 2023 - 04:47 PM

Best thing to do. Stay in the present - you can't change the past, and you cannot predict the future. Just concern yourself with where you are at any given moment...

My anxiety has flared up today - why? I have no idea,,, but I am just letting it get on and it will pass. 

#24 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 04:28 AM

Somethign in the air for us!

Ive been off the evil med for 1.5 weeks and still getting weird bodily sensations, as well as terrible dreams...is this still withdrawal? christ how long will it last?!

How is the anxiety today?

#25 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 12 November 2023 - 04:07 PM

For sure something in the air. 

I remember the dreams  - for sure withdrawals my friend. Length of the lasting is very subjective, but I would like to say they will be manageable within another week.

My anxiety is a little better, but still could do well without it!

IUN

#26 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 02:57 PM

I really appreciate your help in this. I am a fairly strong person so I want to believe that when I stop something thats it. Its hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that I stopped two weeks ago and yet I still have withdrawal effects. This forum has eased some anxieties on that and I am really grateful. 

today: Nausea, zaps around the body not the head. 

#27 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 15 November 2023 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for the kind words - and you are more than welcome.

But unfortunately a withdraw that quick will leave you with symptoms for some time - but just keep telling yourself that is all they are

IUN

#28 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 12:30 PM

hey hey. 

Good news. Brain and spine are in good shape aside from a dry spine (i crack alot). Thank you both for such support in explaining what the body is going through in this severe experience. it has honestly bee horrendous. I am still having dental pain but I am exhausted in finding a solution right now, I have a feeling it could easily fade if I dont give it attention now that I know its not serious. 

Nausea is still ever present and I have never experienced it with anxiety but I have also never experienced this level of anxiety or life events I am going though, so it could still be Cymbalta. As I write this I have a brain zap. so yeah I suppose body is begging for Cymbalta to return. 

#29 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 16 November 2023 - 06:45 PM

Glad to see of the good results! Good news for sure and what you say about not giving attention now you know it is nothing too serious could very well be the answer. 

The nausea may be present for a little longer, but the episodes should become fewer and further between.... and as for the famous brain-zaps is for sure the withdrawal. They can get really annoying - I will never forget what they are like - and are really scary if you aren't familiar with what they are all about.

Again, these WILL dissipate soon enough. As a rough estimate, I would say 90% of members have the zaps - they are such a common phenomenon....

Keep us updated.

IUN

#30 mcd

mcd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 02:12 PM

The nausea has done exactly as you said! today I had a severe attack of anxiety tied up with my health concerns. I keep thinking this is the wave of my body recalibrating and begging to get some Cymbalta in its system to fill a void. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users