#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 November 2023 - 12:33 PM

Just a note to let poeople know that after a recent surgery a few days ago I was given Ondansetron(also called Zofran) for nausea due to pain. I immediately went into severe anxiety, fear and panic. O looked at the drug insert (link below) and found the following information. This information is also in the ebook. 

"Ondansetron tablets are indicated for the prevention of nausea and vomiting.
The development of serotonin syndrome has been reported with 5-HT3 receptor antagonists alone. Most reports have been associated with concomitant use of serotonergic drugs (e.g., selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), monoamine oxidase inhibitors, mirtazapine, fentanyl, lithium, tramadol, and intravenous methylene blue). Some of the reported cases were fatal." 

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 November 2023 - 12:53 PM

Also

Risk of Cardiac Arrythmias and Death in Patients Recieving Oral Ondansetron: A Review of the Federal Adverse Events Reporting System (FAERS)
Because ondansetron may cause prolongation of the QT interval, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning about its use in patients with long QT interval syndrome, patients with electrolyte abnormalities, congestive heart failure, brady arrhythmias, and those receiving medications that prolong the QT interval.
There were a total number of 24,648,097 prescription units for ondansetron. 400 deaths were reported with ondansetron. Our study suggests that although rare, significant cardiac arrhythmias and deaths can occur with ondansetron. EKG monitoring for patients receiving oral ondansetron is advised.

#3 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 18 November 2023 - 06:11 PM

Sorry Hat - I missed this one....

That is some horrific stuff. Did the doctors not even consider this?! I mean 5-HT is obvious to any that it is a serotonin receptor. Surely if they knew you were still on any such SSRI that this could potentially be hazardous?!

I would be chomping at the bit following this if I were in your shoes.

Just as I was recently offered Promethazine to aid sleeping - I didn't want any drugs (as I have my Kratom), but I asked the doctor which class of drug this was (H1 antihistamine) - and then asked him to refer to my notes. 

Oh dear.. he responded

Yes, OH DEAR YOU IDIOT! I am severely allergic to H1 antihistamines!!!

Always question what you are being given. Why? What for? Am I going to suffer any reactions? Are there alternatives? Too many patients just gleefully accept what they are given when the doctors can't even maintain the most basic of principles of their job.

God help us when we are unconscious and cannot do this for ourselves!! 

The main thing is that you are OK now. We can't do without you Hat!!!

God Bless

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 November 2023 - 07:12 AM

Drug incompatibilities in the US are rated as mild, moderate, serious or severe. When a prescription is processed and it finds the rating of the interaction nothing is done unless the rating is serious or severe. Serious drug interactions warrant a warning note that accompanies the prescription (You know all that paperwork that no one every reads). This interaction is rated as moderate and no action is required.

#5 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,217 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 19 November 2023 - 01:48 PM

Just glad that it was moderate and nothing more.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users