fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 February 2024 - 03:45 PM

Malic Acid 

Note - You will find below a reference to a study on malic acid below which showed it returned norepinephrine, dopamine, serotonin, and γ-aminobutyric acid (gaba) to prestress levels in stressed rats. I find this study very exciting as it reflects on perhaps why many members have had success with green Gatorade, malic acid as well as apple cider vinegar (magnesium and malic acid are the active ingredients) as well as other products that contain malic acid. This stabilization of neurotransmitters might explain the success many members had with these products. Even under constant stress the neurotransmitters returned to normal levels in 6 weeks. Even in the presence of venlafaxine (an snri like Cymbalta).

The obtained results revealed that the animal behavioral tests such as forced swimming test, tail suspension test, sucrose preference test, and open-field test (center square entries test, center square duration test, and distance travelled test), norepinephrine, dopamine, serotonin, γ-aminobutyric acid (gaba), nicotinamide-adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH) oxidase activity, oxidative index, conjugated dienes, catalase, glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase, malondialdehyde, interleukin-6, tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin-10, interleukin-1β, sodium/potassium-ATPase activity, and histamine-N-methyl transferase (Hnmt) and tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) enzymes in the hypothalamus of stressed rats, were returned to approaching the normal state in the stressed group after treating with malic acid for 6 weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dosage

Doses commonly used for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome range from between 1,200 milligrams (mg) and 2,800 mg.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Safety

There is no known toxic level of malic acid, but it can result in loose stools for certain individuals at higher dosages. You'll find it naturally present in many fruits and vegetables you eat, including apples, apricots, mangoes, strawberries, pineapples, grapes, lettuce, onions, celery, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and more, and it's not likely that you'll eat too much malic acid.
Because malic acid is a naturally occurring compound in common foods, it's generally considered safe — but in some cases, it can cause side effects, particularly for the stomach and digestive tract. Acids can irritate the mouth, throat or stomach, especially in people who are more sensitive. You may need to avoid foods and beverages that have malic acid for a few days if you have diarrhea or an upset stomach because acids in foods may cause cramps and gas and prolong diarrhea, according to Virginia Tech.
If you're diagnosed with a gastrointestinal condition, such as IBS, gastritis or acid reflux, foods and beverages with malic acid may be off the menu. Eating foods with acid can cause the stomach to produce more gastric acid, which can then irritate damage that already exists in the digestive tract, according to Hopkins Medicine. And from ..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member comment on usage of products containing Malic Acid

Posted by sparkybird on 21 July 2018 - 07:49 AM in ARE YOU NEW HERE? Words from the wise about Cymbalta
I’ve found that Pur Aqua Sparkling Frost in any flavor has malic acid. I discovered it by accident. It is only 50 cents at Aldi’s. It is only 10 calories a bottle.

Note - Only the black raspberry flavor has malic acid.

Posted by fishinghat on 26 August 2014 - 12:44 PM in What are you feeling?
 I was taking 2 tablespoons in a cup of water once per day. You talk about an upset stomach. WOW But the malic acid/magnesium works just as well. On the ACV the Braggs works the best. It is the only ACV which is unpasteurized and unfiltered so it has more malic acid in it than other brands.

Fishinghat - Posted 19 September 2023 - 10:51 AM
Isopure Zero Carbs - No sugar, with some calcium. Contains Malic acid
Isopure Mass - With sugar and proteins, with calcium, Contains Malic acid
Isopure zero carb with proteins - no sugar, contains proteins. With calcium  Contains Malic acid

'Uriel', on 20 Apr 2012 - 7:11 PM
I also have fibro , try a product called MagSmart for your fibro . A naturopathic dr from BC came up with it. You get it at the health food store. I have been on it since i am withdrawing from this drug and it has helped alot.
It's malic acid and magnesium along with b vit and some stuff for the immunce system

Posted by mkhackler on 29 April 2008 - 10:29 AM in Nutritional Support
I have found that I think might be helping:
Fibro-Response with malic acid and msm and Lasting Touch analgesic gel with a lot of good things.

Vinvin - The Fierce Green Apple Gatorade, Dramamine and Boylan's Ginger Ale seem to help out as well 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As many of you know I am currently weaning off of Zoloft and if withdrawal symptoms occur I have malic acid available in an effort to control withdrawal. When I have further information on its effectiveness I will post it.  (fishinghat)

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 April 2024 - 04:41 PM

Well, gang, very disappointed in the malic acid. As you are all aware I have been weaning of Zoloft for a while. I started a wean (a little faster than normal) in February. Of course, the agitation, anger and such started to creep up its ugly head. I hung in there for the full 6 weeks on malic acid hoping it would balance out the neurotransmitters as indicated in the research. At the end of 6 weeks not only did I have the same symptoms but was very depressed in the mornings. Since stopping the malic acid the depression has ceased and the anxiety type symptoms are slowly fading. Just had to give it a try.

#3 LeVana

LeVana

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 April 2024 - 11:03 PM

i had the same experience with malic acid, that's why i stopped it, too. i felt much worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users