• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 itdoeswork

itdoeswork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:
    The "it worked" really does work. Hope to help others wanting to get off of Cymbalta without withdrawal.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

I recently went to see my doctor who had originally prescribed me Cymbalta for depression and some anxiety. I decided last month that I wanted to come off of Cymbalta due feeling nauseous all the time when I was upped to 90 mg. There seems to be some talk of taking Prozac to combat the withdrawal symptoms of Cym. I did take Prozac, which did actually cause me to have minimal to no withdrawal symptoms. Back to seeing my doc...I told her about taking Prozac and she agreed that because of it's "long life" compared to the 24 hr. life of Cym., that would make sense that it helped "mask" the withdrawal symptoms and that she would remember that for a future patient who may want to get off Cymbalta.
If you want to stop Cymbalta...you might want to try replacing your dose with 20 mg. of Prozac. It might not take away everything, for everyone....but, it's how I got through it and I hope it might help others get through it.

#2 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:
    I successfully stopped using Cymbalta following the It Worked section.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

Itdoeswork~
I just wanted to thank you for posting this! I am a fairly new member on this post and was previously not given positive feeback about my suggestion to use Prozac to reduce or take away withdrawal from Cymbalta. I came across this "method" and it also worked for me. It really "does work" and I hope others who are struggling can read this. I'm glad someone else is on the same page. ;)

#3 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

Haleyanne,

Glad to see you're still around, because as I said, your information may be useful to some.

I must stress AGAIN, that it was not your information, or feedback which was the problem, it was the way you presented the information. Again, starting a sentence with 'do you not need to do this wean ... '. Compare that with itdoeswork's last sentences: 'you might want to try ...'

We already all knew about the Prozac alternative - yes it works brilliantly for a few, o.k. for many, and not at all for some.

I'm still genuinely interested to know if your doctor & dentist used the words 'capsule' or 'drug' when talking about cymbalta being slow release. There's a huge difference.

Maureen.

#4 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

Maureen~
Don't remember exactly what I said referring to the capsule. I do remember the pharm's eyes going wide and my doc's when I mentioned separating the contents. Although, I did not go into detail about putting the beads into gel caps. I'm glad the Prozac can be a consideration. :) That was what I wanted to share. :)

#5 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

Doctor and dentist? Must be too early in the morning for me. Obviously meant pharmacist.

The professionals have thousands of drugs to keep up with, so must be difficult for them to think beyond what the drug companies tell them.

I wasn't even prepared to tell the chemist what I wanted the gelatine capsules for - I just wasn't interested in getting into a debate about it. I'd thought about it carefully and realized that splitting the dose inside a capsule which was virtually identical was o.k.

I was very careful to not damage the beads, and knowing what I do now, would not worry about even taking the beads on their own if I was desperate. But, and it's a BIG BUT - I'd been extremely careful to wash them down gently, then rinse my mouth out thoroughly in case any got caught in my teeth - which are pretty rough given most have fillings. It would be a last resort, though.

Maureen.

#6 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

Itdoeswork~
I just wanted to thank you for posting this! I am a fairly new member on this post and was previously not given positive feeback about my suggestion to use Prozac to reduce or take away withdrawal from Cymbalta. I came across this "method" and it also worked for me. It really "does work" and I hope others who are struggling can read this. I'm glad someone else is on the same page. ;)

Haleyanne,

We are not here to take sides, or not be nice to certain people, we do care,
we also care or we would not keep trying to explain it to you over, and over
so that you see it's not you, but the way you say things.

I do believe that Prozac helps, and it did help me in many ways, some I am not
even aware of.

I am sorry that I came off to where you did get the feeling you did about this
place, and the people here. I am just as not as well off as the other's yet, also
I guess I just got scared.

There are other ways to get off this that do work for other's, and sometimes
they don't. I just didn't get to be one of them.

Debbie,

#7 itdoeswork

itdoeswork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:
    The "it worked" really does work. Hope to help others wanting to get off of Cymbalta without withdrawal.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

This post is specifically for those who may have tried Prozac with success and want to share their experience with others, or for those who might want to look into taking Prozac as an option while quitting Cymbalta. Let's keep it at that.

#8 haleyanne

haleyanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

Oh my goodness...give it a rest.

Again, PLEASE anyone looking for some help...just focus on what's important: to aid in the stopping of Cymbalta and it's withdrawal, consider taking 20 mg. of Prozac. Which has worked successfully for some (including me), some it has not. For those suffering, any relief could be welcome. I can only share my experience. :)

Please only post on what the topic is about: Prozac and your experience!

#9 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

Oh my goodness...give it a rest.

Again, PLEASE anyone looking for some help...just focus on what's important: to aid in the stopping of Cymbalta and it's withdrawal, consider taking 20 mg. of Prozac. Which has worked successfully for some (including me), some it has not. For those suffering, any relief could be welcome. I can only share my experience. :)

Please only post on what the topic is about: Prozac and your experience!

haleyanne,
Thanks for the great post. Also for keeping the focus on what
it's reallly alll about!

Again I am just so grateful that you did have suck great luck
with the way you got of this noxiuos drug:)

Keep The Peace,
Debbie

#10 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

Just wondering: how do you get off the Prozac then?

I recently went to see my doctor who had originally prescribed me Cymbalta for depression and some anxiety. I decided last month that I wanted to come off of Cymbalta due feeling nauseous all the time when I was upped to 90 mg. There seems to be some talk of taking Prozac to combat the withdrawal symptoms of Cym. I did take Prozac, which did actually cause me to have minimal to no withdrawal symptoms. Back to seeing my doc...I told her about taking Prozac and she agreed that because of it's "long life" compared to the 24 hr. life of Cym., that would make sense that it helped "mask" the withdrawal symptoms and that she would remember that for a future patient who may want to get off Cymbalta.
If you want to stop Cymbalta...you might want to try replacing your dose with 20 mg. of Prozac. It might not take away everything, for everyone....but, it's how I got through it and I hope it might help others get through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users