• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jerryd

jerryd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I was on cymbalta(90mg) Stopped immediately. It's been 4 mth's and I have relapsed. I'am not sure if the cymbalta helped or not. I felt like a zombie. Wanted to compare my experience with others.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

I also have gone cold trukey on cymbalta (90 mg.). I had been taking it for the best part of 10 months. When I stopped taking it I had just started a new job. I guess I was so wrapped up in work that I didn't notice withdrawal symptoms. I told a friend that I was tired of being in a fog all the time and I was going to stop. That was last July. Since I have slipped into a mild depression and was reading these post to see if anyone else had the same problem on cymbalta as myself. From July until this past week I seemed to have been fine( I THINK). If anything I did seem to be real emotional and fidgity. That lasted maybe 2 to 3 weeks. So it seems, other than those few things I was o.k. I had a few things at work, that really stunned me and I think sent me into a mild depression. My worry is wheather I am over the withdrawal or is the worst to come. I know after reading these post cymbalta is not going to be my choise.
Sorry for everyones terrible problems and I hope a new beginning is in the future for all
JERRYD

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hi jerryd,

glad to hear your new job went so well.

If life is going well in general for you, it's hard to imagine it's still withdrawal symptoms giving you the mild depression. I had some depression coming off Cymbalta but only for a week or so, and only in the early days.

I'm very much in the category of depression being triggered by something, too; on the other hand I can go through very difficult situations without getting depressed, so there's more to it than that. Some people live hideously depressing lives but never get depressed.

I also believe that once you're deep down into it, it's very hard to get off rock bottom with some chemical help - just my opinion mind, given the way I tend to think when I'm down there.

If that's the case with you you picked the right time to act.

Everyone's experience is different, but if you've had very few symptoms otherwise I think you'd have to assume it's underlying depression. Believe me, no new job would have 'distracted' you if you had been one of those who had difficulty getting off Cymbalta.

regards, Maureen.

#3 jerryd

jerryd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I was on cymbalta(90mg) Stopped immediately. It's been 4 mth's and I have relapsed. I'am not sure if the cymbalta helped or not. I felt like a zombie. Wanted to compare my experience with others.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the reply Maureen
I was really uninformed about cymbalta. When I started on it, I would have taken anything to fight the depression. And when they told me it worked on two of the neurotransmitters instead of one I thought I had found a miracle. My depression did get better but I was a walking zombie. I became a recluse and had no sole, no sex drive, no motivation. Which is worse the depression or the cure? While reading this site I noticed that seems to be the norm with this drug.
After reading these post I understand, and you are right, I got by very easy. Do most people discontinue the drug because they are better, or because of the side effects? If I hadn't wanted to be normal again I would probably still be taking it, for fear of going back into depression.
I'am 60 years old and live alone. Very little support base. So thanks to all involved in this site
Thanks Jerryd

#4 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

That's o.k. Jerryd,

I understand 60! Heading there soon myself - nearly 57. I don't have (because I don't look for it there) support at home or with family. A fairly high anti-drug stance means that I have to fight my way past that first. Both of my sisters have suffered severe menopause symptoms without resorting to HRT, but I did.

I have a couple of good friends though, one of whom has periods of mild depression, so he at least understands about being in that place where nothing can cheer you up, or make you feel better.

People discontinue the drug for all of the reasons you can imagine: side effects, not doing what was expected, feeling better and hoping to cope without, changing to another drug, some in the US because of the cost and lack of insurance. etc etc.

I have to say taking an anti-d (Lexapro first) made the most incredible difference to my life. It gave me really bad nightmares though, and I overate because if I didn't eat what I did, I would feel sick and as though I was about to faint.

That's why i was changed to Cymbalta, 30mg for the first month. Quite by accident (my regular GP would have allowed it) I ended up on 60m because I had to see another doctor who was adamant 60mg was the lowest theraputic dose.

I wanted to stop because 1) the side effects (long story and partly to do with pre existing conditions) and 2) if I'd felt so well on 30mg, and it wasn't even considered the 'usual' dose then I figured I should try to come off it and see how it all panned out.

Just keep hangin' around here if you need support, for whatever reason, there are several people who'll be able to talk to you about any of these topics. I can't tell you how much it's meant to me to be able to talk to others who understand.

regards, Maureen.

#5 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

I also have gone cold trukey on cymbalta (90 mg.). I had been taking it for the best part of 10 months. When I stopped taking it I had just started a new job. I guess I was so wrapped up in work that I didn't notice withdrawal symptoms. I told a friend that I was tired of being in a fog all the time and I was going to stop. That was last July. Since I have slipped into a mild depression and was reading these post to see if anyone else had the same problem on cymbalta as myself. From July until this past week I seemed to have been fine( I THINK). If anything I did seem to be real emotional and fidgity. That lasted maybe 2 to 3 weeks. So it seems, other than those few things I was o.k. I had a few things at work, that really stunned me and I think sent me into a mild depression. My worry is wheather I am over the withdrawal or is the worst to come. I know after reading these post cymbalta is not going to be my choise.
Sorry for everyones terrible problems and I hope a new beginning is in the future for all
JERRYD

Jerryd,
Just found this, Welcome to the form. So thrilled to hear your doing so great, and didn't have to go through
anything that awful getting off this terrible drug. All I can say is that you BLESSED!

Always here to talk.

Debbie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users