• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Barkley

Barkley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdrawals from Cymbalta. Need advice on how long I will be experiencing these problems. Main problem is with my eyes.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:44 AM

I've been weaning off of Cymbalta for three weeks now. Went from 60mg once a day to 30mg once a day and supposedly I could stop when I ran out. But when I stopped I get what I call "eye shakes". Its like I turn my eyes a certain way and it feels like the world doesn't stop. They are not really severe, but scary and irritating. How long will this go on?

#2 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

I've been weaning off of Cymbalta for three weeks now. Went from 60mg once a day to 30mg once a day and supposedly I could stop when I ran out. But when I stopped I get what I call "eye shakes". Its like I turn my eyes a certain way and it feels like the world doesn't stop. They are not really severe, but scary and irritating. How long will this go on?

Barkley,
Welcome to the form!
So many people suffer with different withdrawl symptoms. Here is the site that lists them http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Also you came off this stuff way toooo fast! What we all have been shown, and it works very well is a slow taper, and never to just
stop this med ever!!!

If your able to get a refill you can start a slow taper, and that will most likely get rid of this issue that's going on. It's due to the
brain, and it want this drug, it doesn't know what is going on, and just like a junkie seeking it's next fix, it's just the same with
this drug, and that's why we do a very slow taper.

If you can just get back on it, then stay on it for awhile until this problem stops. Then you can start a decrease of 10% when your
ready. We will tell you alll about what is what if you decide that's what you want to do.

When was the last time you took your last dose?

We are here to help, and support you no matter how you decide to do this!!!

Debbie

#3 Barkley

Barkley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdrawals from Cymbalta. Need advice on how long I will be experiencing these problems. Main problem is with my eyes.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

What I did was take them every day for the three weeks and then I have been using them when i just can't stand the eye shakes, about every 4-5 days and then I will take one just to stop it. Is this bad or good? Thanks so much for responding.

#4 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hi Barkley,

You'd be far better of to taper down more evenly, with SOME dose every day, rather than taking some sporadically.

All you're doing when you take a dose because you (understandably) can't satand it anymore is 'feeding' the addiction your brain has for this drug. All you're doing is stalling the withdrawal symptoms, and making it all last longer.

Also, many people have much worse side effects when they first take the drug until their body gets used to it. Your body is trying to 'right' itself again, then you take another dose, which halts that bit, and MAY give you the same sorts of side effects as the first few days you ever took it, then when that dose wears off, back to the withdrawal symptoms.

The best thing to do would be to get another prescription filled so you can taper down more slowly. Then you can buy clear gelatine capsules, open the Cymbalta capsules (which are filled with hundreds of little balls) and split the dose.

The little balls are time release, so it's important they don't get damaged on the way to your stomach, and that can happen if you take them on their own, with your teeth.

What most of us have found is that we don't need to go back on to the 'last' dose, i.e. in order to ease all of the symtpoms, you would only maybe need to take 20mg. If you're in the US you can get 20mg Capsules.

In a way you'd probably be better of not taking them again, than taking one every four or five days. But I don't recommend THAT course of action either.

The best way we've found is by taking SOME dose every day; when you feel o.k. on that dose, do a LITTLE drop, then wait several days to see what happens. Some have to stay on each small decrease for longer than others.

It took me 10 weeks to go from 20mg to nothing, but that's because I wanted/needed to minimize the withdrawal effects, and it worked well.

regards, Maureen.

#5 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Barkely,
Listen to what Maureene just said. I saw your other post, and OH BOY that really
trouble!!!

The way Maureene did it is how I am doing it, and how most here have done it and
with great success.

Always here for you!

Debbie

#6 Barkley

Barkley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:12 AM

Sound advice. Hadn't thought about it that way. I will get my doctor to prescribe another dose and wean off the way you suggest. Wish me luck.
Barkley

#7 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

Sound advice. Hadn't thought about it that way. I will get my doctor to prescribe another dose and wean off the way you suggest. Wish me luck.
Barkley

Barkley.
Please take a copy of the FDA report with you to the doctor's.
Look in Sept 18 toptics, and you will find it there.

Your going to be so much happier doing it this way!!

Here's that good luck you asked for,
Debbie

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:28 PM

Barkley

Good luck! And hang out with us here. Nothing like talking to someone who really,REALLY knows what you're talking about, even if you just want to vent.

Maureen.

#9 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

Barkley,
Hi just checking in on you, and wondering what's going on with you?

Please keep us posted as to what's going on with you!

No need to go it alone!

Debbie

#10 Barkley

Barkley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

Doing well so far. taking your advice and weaning off slower.

#11 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

Barkley,
What dose are you on right now, or what have you done so far?
Just remeber this is not a race, but a goal!!!

Take care, talk to you soon.

Debbie

#12 Barkley

Barkley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

I have gone back to the 30 mg and will be getting the clear capsules to start tapering down the dose.

#13 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

You can do it that way or just get the 20 mg caps if you want.Once your down to that mg it is really easy to work with fromthen on out.I have never used the empty gel caps, and just used what I havehad 60 mg, 30 mg, and now the 20 mg's , and it has worked just fine.Yes I have to do it every am, but it takes like a couple of seconds todo it once you do get the hang og it.What ever works the best for you, do it.Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users