• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chloe

Chloe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm trying to get off of Cymbalta right now.. and it sucks. I was on Effexor and went through an incredibly horrible withdrawal period and said I would NEVER take another medicine similar to it. Unfortunately, I let me doc talk me into taking Cymbalta.. and I have gained tons of weight, sleep all the time and need help getting off of it. I'm a postgrad student and definitely a real person! :)

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

Ok..

Well, I won't bore everyone with details, but I am so incredibly glad that I found this forum. It's amazing. You are all so helpful!!

I actually had to wean myself off of Effexor a couple years ago and it was absolute hell. I said I would never take meds like it again -- but I let my doctor talk me into taking Cymbalta before my move overseas (I'm a postgrad student). It _did_ help with the anxiety, but I have gained 30 lbs, sleep all of the time and the brain zaps are back. I also started drinking a lot. I don't feel like myself and I desperately want to get off of it.

So, two nights ago I decided not to take my 60 mg and just start taking it every other day. Yeah. BIG mistake. Yesterday I woke up after 3 hours of sleep and I felt manic - I couldn't stop moving/cleaning/organizing. Then as the day went on I started to get diarrhea and stomach upsets - plus constant CONSTANT brain zaps. Every sound caused an electric shock to go through my body. I felt hot and dizzy. I started shaking and feeling paranoid. I called home and had my mom look up the symptoms.. and I realized it must be some sort of discontinuation syndrome. My doc said this wouldn't happen. :(

So, I took a pill last night and today I feel a little better. The brain zaps have gone away but I still have the stomach issues.

I gather that the best way to get off of it is just to open up the pill and take away a little at a time. Does that sound ok? I'll just take away 25% every week until it's gone. I know it's a bit fast -- but I want off of it. Now.

I don't have time for this.. I'm working on my dissertation and I've already had to deal with a concussion and several other things this semester. I'm so scared/frustrated. I also feel like I can't tell people what I'm going through.. like I have to suffer through it here in silence. I don't want this to ruin my Christmas, either.

I hate this - I'm so frustrated!! :(:(

Please help,
Chloe

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:32 AM

Hi Chloe,

Sorry to hear about what you're going through, but please, please understand that you have two choices:

You can try to be of Cymbalta before Christmas, which may mean suffering exactly the same sorts of things you have already experienced. Or, given you don't seem to be one of those who can drop it easily, you can taper slowly. And that means s-l-o-w-l-y.

Believe me, I know it's frustrating doing it this way; most of us have tried to hasten it along a little, and had to back track, so it really is quickest if you take it at the pace your body can handle.

How you do it depends on how easy your access to the drug is.

The little balls are time release, so the best way to get them into your stomach undamaged is via a capsule. If you have a month's supply, you're probably planning for that to see you through. Without wishing to depress you, it took me over 10 weeks to go from 20mg to 1mg. That last 1mg was three weeks ago, and the only residual mild symptoms I had have been some brain zaps, decreasing slowly over that time.

If you DO want that amount of the drug to last you, you'll need to buy some clear gelatine capsules and split the doses.

If you had already been off Cymbalta for a week or so, you might not have needed to take the whole 60mg again, but as it's only been a day or so, and you've now taken one, it would be a good idea to take nearly that much for the next dose.

Keep in mind you can always go up a bit again. 25% is a BIG drop for someone who's had your side effects.

People have different experiences as to how long it takes before a drop really hits them. I usually noticed the difference within a few days, then it would be several more days before I felt 'normal' enough to try another drop.

Others have found it hits them after about six days, and need to stay on each drop for longer.

It doesn't matter which dose you try to start with, 45mg, 50mg, 55mg, just be prepared to increase it if the withdrawal symptoms are too bad. You CAN come off this without too many side effects if you do it slowly.

There are posts her about how many balls are in each dose: the 60mg has 540, that's a lot of counting to do. If you want to be reasonably accurate with the dose - say it's 45mg, your 25% drop, you could divide 60mg into 4 x capsules of 15mg each, then just empty the contents of three into one capsule. Once you get down to the lower doses it's really quick - dividing a 60mg (eg) into three 20s takes a few mins and you have three days of doses.

Your study IS going to suffer if you try to do it too fast. Just remember you WILL get there.

keep in touch,

regards, Maureen.

#3 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

Chloe,
Listen to what Maureene is saying, it's just the way we have all learned
how to do this, and it really works. You sound like the withdrawls hit you
very fast, and so it is totally important for you to go off this very slowly.

I had a very hard time with the side effects, and found out from here that
Prozac helps with the withdrawls. I stilll get withdrawls that will come out
of the blue, and just kick my butt, but it has helped me.

If you want to stay functioning go back to your regular does, anmd just
get the symptoms gone, and then start the decreasing process, you will
be so grateful you did!!

I was on 60 mg for 3 years, and started my decrease on Aug 31, and I am
now at 20 mg. I did end up a few times going down again without realizing
I had just done so, all due to my memory, paid a step price for it too.

Please stay close, we will all help you to get through all of this. This is
truly a wonderful supportive group of people!

Oh, Welcome:)

Debbie

#4 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the replies :)I stopped taking it yesterday after slowly weaning off of it since my last post. Until today, my withdrawal side effects were actually manageable. I'd have the brain zaps/vertigo/nausea and I would be irritable for the first two days after each reduction, but it would even out and I'd be fine.However.. I'm not doing well at all. I feel like there's absolutely no light at the end of the tunnel. Yesterday the brain zaps were nearly continuous. I had extremely lucid nightmares and actually had to phone someone last night in my terror. I was extremely paranoid. I just ate breakfast and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I have so much work to get done but I can barely form sentences. It's a living hell. I can't believe I went on this medicine. I can't write anything else right now.. I can't even keep my eyes open without feeling like I'm going to throw up.Chloe

Chloe,After having such a hard time doing the wean I can't see why you would even go cold turkey!You already were having some not so great days days as it was, ams then to just stop the med!!I an still weaninf off my 60 mg, amnd have been on 20 mg for for over 19 days, but I am justgoing to stay put as I just had a change in everything about me, anmd feel so good. I am sograteful I did allow myself to do any of the things I wanted to, and just rode it out, as I'nowam finally at peace.Maybe tou might think about just starting the dose you stopped, and contine to wean from that amount, and stop all the crap that's going on with you right now.

The wean system may not be perfect at times, but it sure works out in the end!

Debbie

#5 Chloe

Chloe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm trying to get off of Cymbalta right now.. and it sucks. I was on Effexor and went through an incredibly horrible withdrawal period and said I would NEVER take another medicine similar to it. Unfortunately, I let me doc talk me into taking Cymbalta.. and I have gained tons of weight, sleep all the time and need help getting off of it. I'm a postgrad student and definitely a real person! :)

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

Chloe,After having such a hard time doing the wean I can't see why you would even go cold turkey!You already were having some not so great days days as it was, ams then to just stop the med!!I an still weaninf off my 60 mg, amnd have been on 20 mg for for over 19 days, but I am justgoing to stay put as I just had a change in everything about me, anmd feel so good. I am sograteful I did allow myself to do any of the things I wanted to, and just rode it out, as I'nowam finally at peace.Maybe tou might think about just starting the dose you stopped, and contine to wean from that amount, and stop all the crap that's going on with you right now.

The wean system may not be perfect at times, but it sure works out in the end!

Debbie

Dear Debbie,

Thanks for your reply :)

I know - it seems crazy, doesn't it? But I honestly - HONESTLY - thought I had gone off of it slowly enough. I think your suggestion to go back to my last dose is a good one.. but now that I'm nearly 48 hours into it, I keep thinking I might as well just get it over with, you know? If I'm as bad tomorrow then I might add some back. Otherwise, I just want to get off of this poison ASAP. I feel like crap.

I hope you are able to get off of it successfully! We started at the same amount. It will be interesting to see how your experience compares to mine at the last step. Hopefully it won't be like this - it sounds like you are being a bit smarter with your decision to do it super slowly. All my wishes for good luck to you.

Right now I'm just staying down. The zaps are nearly continuous unless I don't move. Moving my head/walking/laughing/etc. all cause the zaps to start. I'm so mystified by the entire thing. I wish I knew what was going on with my brain right now!

Many thanks :)
Chloe

#6 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

Dear Debbie,

Thanks for your reply :)

I know - it seems crazy, doesn't it? But I honestly - HONESTLY - thought I had gone off of it slowly enough. I think your suggestion to go back to my last dose is a good one.. but now that I'm nearly 48 hours into it, I keep thinking I might as well just get it over with, you know? If I'm as bad tomorrow then I might add some back. Otherwise, I just want to get off of this poison ASAP. I feel like crap.

I hope you are able to get off of it successfully! We started at the same amount. It will be interesting to see how your experience compares to mine at the last step. Hopefully it won't be like this - it sounds like you are being a bit smarter with your decision to do it super slowly. All my wishes for good luck to you.

Right now I'm just staying down. The zaps are nearly continuous unless I don't move. Moving my head/walking/laughing/etc. all cause the zaps to start. I'm so mystified by the entire thing. I wish I knew what was going on with my brain right now!

Chloe,
What's going on with your brain is that it's wanting this drug, and it has also become addicted to the drug.
Remember your only on day 2, and the real withdrawls don't hit until about day 6. I think by tomorrow you will
just be worse off, as the longer the brain has to go without, the bigger teh withdrawls will mound up on you,
ans let me telll you they get worse that anything your dealing with right now.

Just know there is a way to stop all the insanity, and I am here is you want it to stop!!! It will take a few days
because your going without, so it will take a few days to get the brain happy again. Think of it this way, would a
herion addict be taking it oneday, and not the next, no, and this is also way different in what this does. I have
come off both, and I will do the other anytime after my having tod o this!!! At leat one can be given something for
the withdrawls, this it's vit, supplements, Prozac 20 mg, and herbs. Hell I wanted RELIEF!!!!!

Good Luck, hope to talk to you tomorrow.

Debbie

Many thanks :)
Chloe

#7 Chloe

Chloe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

Thanks --

Luckily, it seems that my body isn't reacting in the typical way. I was still not able to get out today but I noticed a drop in the shocks. Instead of constant shocks, I was down to a shock only once every 3-5 mins this afternoon. It's worse tonight but I'm assuming that's because I used to take Cymbalta at night.

Also, flexeril seems to help a bit.

My nausea has also more or less disappeared. So, although it has been an emotional nightmare, I think I might even have recovered enough to go to work tomorrow. :) (Though I think I'll take a lunch break away from everyone as I seem to be extremely irritable [to put it mildly]). This whole experience has been unbelievable. I would never recommend doing it alone (as I've had to do here). Then again, I'd never recommend that anyone take these meds! Celexa/Zoloft/Prozac didn't cause me any major problems.. they just didn't HELP. Cymbalta and Effexor have been the ONLY two meds that have helped my anxiety - but it just isn't worth it! Might try St. John's Wort after the New Year.

Cheers and all the best of luck,
Maegan

#8 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

Thanks --

Luckily, it seems that my body isn't reacting in the typical way. I was still not able to get out today but I noticed a drop in the shocks. Instead of constant shocks, I was down to a shock only once every 3-5 mins this afternoon. It's worse tonight but I'm assuming that's because I used to take Cymbalta at night.

Also, flexeril seems to help a bit.

My nausea has also more or less disappeared. So, although it has been an emotional nightmare, I think I might even have recovered enough to go to work tomorrow. :) (Though I think I'll take a lunch break away from everyone as I seem to be extremely irritable [to put it mildly]). This whole experience has been unbelievable. I would never recommend doing it alone (as I've had to do here). Then again, I'd never recommend that anyone take these meds! Celexa/Zoloft/Prozac didn't cause me any major problems.. they just didn't HELP. Cymbalta and Effexor have been the ONLY two meds that have helped my anxiety - but it just isn't worth it! Might try St. John's Wort after the New Year.

Cheers and all the best of luck,
Maegan

Maegan,
How did you come off the Cymbalta? Sounds like your still having withdrawls.
I agree with you about the meds, but I will also tell you that everyone, and
their brother did the St. John's Wart here in Calif when it first came out,
and it didn't do a thing for most.

I am going to just get off all the crap, not think about it, because after this
nothing could ever be as bad to deal with. The withdrawls, and just being on this drug
ruined my life for so long that I don't want anything to do with them ever again.

Will just eat right, exercise, and use the tanning salon all natural!

Debbie

#9 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

Chloe,
Welcome, and slow way down.
The best way, and the only way to keep your sanity, and to keep functioning
would be to do the slow weaning process like the majority of us have had to do. You think Effexor
was bad, that's a cake walk compared to this. The brain is addicted to this drug is the major
reason, oh there is all the medical talk i could go into, but I learned in recovery to just keep
it simple.

What I learned to do was to just take 10 beads out every 2 weeks, that was a bit much for me so I
had to add some to that. You just want it to where you can still live, function, think, remember,
you know do life.

If you have any questions, please ask me anything.

Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users