• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drphilistine

drphilistine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on 30 mg cymbalta for over a year, have not had a good night's sleep since. Time to get off the stuff!

FYI - try using Captcha to deter spammers. I use the addition problem option as it does not require fetching images off a 3rd party server somewhere (which may or may not be secure and/or always up). I do some web development as part of my work.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

I've been on Cymbalta for over a year and haven't had a good night's sleep since. I take Klonopin every night just to sleep, and have added Ambien recently (though not every night). For a while I thought I had "Diazepam withdrawal syndrome" as I've been on and off Klonopin for 4 years, ever since I ended a relationship with a woman who turned to be Bipolar and have Von Münchausen syndrome (not VMS By Proxy, which is the kind most people hear about). But only since I started cymbalta did I wonder about Diazepam withdrawal syndrome. I'm going to order the gelatin caps and start the 20 bead drop first, see if I can tolerate it.

I had to take an old 60mg sample two nights ago, so I took no cymbalta last night at all. So far I feel fine; maybe a bit lethargic but then I haven't had as much coffee today as is usual. I wish I'd started last Friday as I've had Thanksgiving week off. :(

What are "Brain Zaps"? I've had the vertigo and the 'shock' feelings; thought it was just anxiety side effects. And what else am I in for? I feel I will be able to handle it better if I know what's causing any cymbalta withdrawal symptoms.

Also, how bad is going cold turkey? Are we talking months of disability or weeks of disorientation? The latter I can handle, the former is a bit scary. If it's a few weeks of disorientation I might prefer that to dragging this out. I'm not easily traumatized, so what is disabling to some may not be to me. When I spoke to my Psychiatrist about stopping (early in cymbalta treatment) he said I could just stop, or take it every other night for a week or two.

FYI - I am not a Dr, just picked the name as so many "professionals" like Dr. Phil are dispensing so much crap (pills and advice) to so many people. I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired! I also have no medical coverage right now, so getting further medical assistance is out until the Insurance Fairy leaves a policy under my pillow. :)

I would appreciate hearing about Brain Zaps, and from a few people who have gone 'cold turkey', successfully and otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

#2 groovydoll51

groovydoll51

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am having a very difficult time getting off cymbalta.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hi,
I don't know how specifically describe what a brain zap is, but for me I get chills that start in my back and quickly work up to my head and then it feels like a circuit misfires. Almost stops me in my tracks for a second and then it feels like I can feel my hair growing. Kind of feels like your brain gets a bit of a shock or "zap". As far as going off cold turkey, I would not recommend it. I was only on Cymbalta for two weeks. I didn't care for the way it was making me feel (flu symptoms, insomnia, zaps), so I decided to go off (cold turkey) last Thursday. I beat a meth addiction, on my own, three years ago (which was pretty hellish). I figured that if I could do that on my own, that this wouldn't be a problem. I was completely wrong and experienced the worst three days of my life, to follow. It was so painful and nauseating and a complete mind @#!#. I have heard it compared to the withdrawals of crack and heroin) I only went to my doctor for seasonal affective disorder and he put me on 60mg of cymbalta. I can't fault him too much because he is only an internalist. I don't think that he had enough knowledge of the drug to know what could happen. However, I fault myself for not researching the drug before getting on. By the time I got on, it was too late. Your brain becomes addicted within the first to three doses and you will be better off to step down, rather than going cold turkey. I have an extremely high thresh hold for pain and I am generally in a mindset that my thoughts don't hurt me. I understand that thoughts are just thoughts and they happen but don't control every aspect of my life. However, with quitting this drug cold turkey, my experience was a tremendous amount of nausea, blinding headaches, insomnia (which I also have when taking the drug), knots up and down my back and lining the insides of my shoulder blades, fatigue, high emotional outbursts (not anger or sadness- just overwhelmed by emotions which brought tears, exhaustion from feeling nauseous and headache..it was freaking gnarly...Some people have way worse withdrawal symptoms. By Monday, I was on my fourth day off cymbalta and figured the symptoms should be subsiding. They weren't. I began to read and read about cymbalta and withdrawal. I talked to people in forums and also my best friend, who stepped down with very little side effects. I was so completely torn about starting back up and trying to step down. I did NOT want this drug back in my body, but the pain and nausea was not subsiding. Finally, Monday afternoon, I broke down and poured out more than half of the beads, from a pill leaving about 200 beads in) and ate it. Within three minutes, the burning muscles started to calm. The burning in my back had been excruciation, but all of the sudden it felt like someone poured ice cold water into the muscles. There was still pain and burning, but I could tell that my body had been begging for the drug, like a junkie. I went to talk to the walgreens pharmacist on Tues morning (on my way to work). He said that the only people who came in with these horror stories about cymbalta, were the people who quit cold turkey. I am not measuring out 30mg and taking that, daily, until i go see my doctor Dec 3rd. I am going to tell him I want off, what my experience has been and that I want to step down off this drug. As far as the pain, my back, neck and head still hurt (probably because I'm withdrawling from the 60mgs still). I was taking ibuprofen for pain, but it was adding to the nausea. I found that Excedrin helps best with dulling the pain and keeps me less nauseous. Anyway, this has been my experience (not to scare you, but to suggest weaning of the drug, rather than quitting cold turkey)

#3 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

I've been on Cymbalta for over a year and haven't had a good night's sleep since. I take Klonopin every night just to sleep, and have added Ambien recently (though not every night). For a while I thought I had "Diazepam withdrawal syndrome" as I've been on and off Klonopin for 4 years, ever since I ended a relationship with a woman who turned to be Bipolar and have Von Münchausen syndrome (not VMS By Proxy, which is the kind most people hear about). But only since I started cymbalta did I wonder about Diazepam withdrawal syndrome. I'm going to order the gelatin caps and start the 20 bead drop first, see if I can tolerate it.

I had to take an old 60mg sample two nights ago, so I took no cymbalta last night at all. So far I feel fine; maybe a bit lethargic but then I haven't had as much coffee today as is usual. I wish I'd started last Friday as I've had Thanksgiving week off. :(

What are "Brain Zaps"? I've had the vertigo and the 'shock' feelings; thought it was just anxiety side effects. And what else am I in for? I feel I will be able to handle it better if I know what's causing any cymbalta withdrawal symptoms.

Also, how bad is going cold turkey? Are we talking months of disability or weeks of disorientation? The latter I can handle, the former is a bit scary. If it's a few weeks of disorientation I might prefer that to dragging this out. I'm not easily traumatized, so what is disabling to some may not be to me. When I spoke to my Psychiatrist about stopping (early in cymbalta treatment) he said I could just stop, or take it every other night for a week or two.

drphilistine,
Welcome, well you know what I mean.
If you live in the US you can get medical! Just go to you local office and apply, and then you will
be able to get you meds. Just becuase you feel fine after not taking a dose of Cymbalta does not
mean anything as it can take 6-9 days for the withdrawls to even start.

How bad is sold turkey> I owuld rather be homeless, no food, money, and well anthing else awful
you can think of. I can only go by what happened to me when I missed taking my Cymbalta for a
few days or more, and was not able to function at all, all I could do was sleep, couldn't eat at all,
had nighterrors, abdominal pain, sweating, but then saw that my pilll bottle had fallen out, took
my med., and a few days later was better, if that's what you want to call it. I was at least able to
up, and get dressed.

The withdrawls can last as long as 6 mo. to 2 years or longer. Some even have a hard time during
the weaning process, and really have to go slower that others.

If you really need to do life, find a way to get some of this drug, and do a slow wean, if not we will
still be here for you, and walk through you recovery.

Debbie
FYI - I am not a Dr, just picked the name as so many "professionals" like Dr. Phil are dispensing so much crap (pills and advice) to so many people. I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired! I also have no medical coverage right now, so getting further medical assistance is out until the Insurance Fairy leaves a policy under my pillow. :)

I would appreciate hearing about Brain Zaps, and from a few people who have gone 'cold turkey', successfully and otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users