#1 buzzy

buzzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    side effects

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:50 AM

Ive been on cymbalta 60mb daily for a year and a half for depression.

If i skipped a day, the next day i would hear buzzing like around my head. So i stopped missing days and have been taking it at the same time for at least a year.

Now, for the past two weeks, the buzzing is non stop. When i walk, i get dizzy (blood pressure is fine) and the buzzing gets louder. Its a constant buzzing like power flowing through power lines and a couple times a minute it has a sound like cha..cha..cha over top, kinda like snakes hissing or that freaky sound in scary movies.

What do i do? i cant take this buzzing anymore its so damn loud at times that i cant hear tv or understand what people are saying very well.

Any suggestions or advice?

I already talked to my doctor about getting off cymbalta and he suggests me waiting till holidays are over to try and wean myself off. I have valium which i stopped taking about 4 months ago, would this help?

Thanks

#2 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

If i skipped a day, the next day i would hear buzzing like around my head. So i stopped missing days and have been taking it at the same time for at least a year.

Now, for the past two weeks, the buzzing is non stop. When i walk, i get dizzy (blood pressure is fine) and the buzzing gets louder. Its a constant buzzing like power flowing through power lines and a couple times a minute it has a sound like cha..cha..cha over top, kinda like snakes hissing or that freaky sound in scary movies.

What do i do? i cant take this buzzing anymore its so damn loud at times that i cant hear tv or understand what people are saying very well.

I already talked to my doctor about getting off cymbalta and he suggests me waiting till holidays are over to try and wean myself off. I have valium which i stopped taking about 4 months ago, would this help?

Thanks

Hi Buzzy

I don't know about the buzzing you described but the fact that it's something you've had when you've missed doses in the past suggests that you are in what is known as "poop out". It means that your body has developed a tolerance to Cymbalta and that because you haven't increased the dose, you are displaying the symptoms of withdrawal.

You didn't say why you are taking Cymbalta but if you feel you no longer need it, then now WOULD be a good time to wean. The only thing is, because you are basically addicted, you will need to do this VERY VERY SLOWLY. If you talk to Drs you will find they know very little about poop out and withdrawal. They think "discontinuation syndrome" only lasts from 2-4 weeks. Unfortunately, I have read of people taking a year or more to successfully withdraw from an anti-depressant.

It is recommended that the dosage be decreased by no more than 10% each time. Many people here have opened the capsules and counted beads but I'm not sure how many beads = what dose. Have a look at other posts. I know it's been posted before.

With the valium, you need to be very careful if you want to use this to help. I don't see why you couldn't use it but it is a benzodiazepine and these are highly addictive. As long as you just take one occasionally, it should be ok :mellow:

Good luck, whatever you decide to do
Junior

#3 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

Thanks

Hi buzzy,

The noise is called Tinnitus, a very, very common problem and unfortunately one which doesn't have much of a solution for those who suffer from it continually; we have two choice: learn to not 'hear' it, or let it drive you insane.

Fortunately for you, it seems that it's related to Cymbalta, so in the long term, should improve. Mine went from tolerable to severe when coming off Cymbalta,and was connected with what we call 'brain zaps' - feels a bit like a noisy hiccup in your brain. You'd know if you'd had brain zaps.

Certainly sounds as if it's time for you to think about coming off Cymbalta, but don't expect it to be an easy ride. Some can come off it easily, but if you're already getting these sorts of symptoms, chances are they're going to get worse, but you WILL be better off in the long term.

Many find taking Prozac during the withdrawal helps, as it can moderate the symptoms, and is then easier to get off than Cymbalta.

Some of us have also found that, although we can't hear as well with all of this racket going on in our heads, we're somehow more sensitive to sound at that stage. I sometimes felt people were shouting at me when they were just using normal voices. I couldn't actually tolerate the noise of the TV for a while. I have poor hearing in the first place so the combination of all of this was yuk.

Giddyness is another common withdrawal symptom.

Do not listen to any professional telling you you can stop over a few weeks. Some can, many can't, and if you're already getting these symptoms, chances are you're one of the many who can't.

You're not limited by the dosages made by the drug company. You can buy empty gelatin capsules and split the contents of the capsules. You may be told they're slow release capsules, and not to do this, but it's not correct: they're slow release [b]beads[b], it's perfectly safe to open the capsules and adjust the doses. It is important that the beads don't get damaged.

good luck, and stay in touch.

Maureen.

#4 buzzy

buzzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    side effects

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

Thank you Junior and Maureen for taking the time to reply and for your suggestions and input. It is very much appreciated. It makes me feel good that people other than myself can spare time to help and contribute to others in positive ways without interjecting negativeness.

I am taking cymbalta for depression. I count myself very lucky because i do have a very good doctor (in saginaw michigan) who stays up to date on things. He actualy will sit down and spend an hour with you listening and talking. Before i started cymbalta he went over the benefits and the negatives as well as a plan to wean me off before hand. However the buzzing wasnt something mentioned nor were the brain zaps (which i do have)

The brain zaps are exactly what i have and they are more frequent now. They used to only occur when i missed a dose or took it hours too late. I was calling them dizzy and head spinning along with noise, but the term zap fits it perfectly because that is what it feels like. Then i get head spin and dizzy and have to sit down Or the zaps will continue. Mine shoots from ears in i think, then the spin then the dizzy.

I am also lucky in the fact that other than sugar (soda included) i dont seem to get addicted to much. The valium i stopped taking and had no problems, perhaps because i was on cymbalta, but i only use it now and again when i have a break down (weepy days, intense anger or confusion). Which is rare, well less than once a month. and i have actualy went 3 months without taking one. However i still live very much in solitude to reduce stress as much as possible. I seem to only need a valium when others induce drama in normal situations.

I am thankfull that i found this website and that both of you have taken the time to read about my issues and comment. Best wishes to you both.

#5 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

Thanks

Buzzy,
This is just my opinion, and we never ever dx anyone here, as we are not doctor's.
Being that you had this when you missed a dose, I doubt very highlt this is Vertigo.

I too had this very same thing when I missed a dose, but whne I went back on the drug it
stopped, vertigo does just don't work lie that. Glad you blodd pressusre was good,so at
least you can omitt it to having anything to do with your heart or brain.

I like the way that you do explain what it's like when it happpens in your head, as I
only got brain electrical shocks on Paxil, and thisis nothing like that at all. You
sure got the nise right, and again once you started taking the drug it didn't happen forover
a year!

I too would get this when i would miss a does, but I am also now getting it again, and have been
on the same weaning dose for over 10- 11 days now, but also starting to finally get some peace,
not very much anxiety, dreams again, but kinda peaceful real to life ones, I even wanted to stay
in the one I was having this am. You don't get a pop out on this drug that fast, but one does get
side effects, amd they are just the same as the withdrawl symptoms.

Here is the site, http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm
Check it out, read them all it really helps with letting you know all your experiencing is this drug
anmd getting offf of it.

It is just to hard to do anyway except for a very personalixed slow wean, and we can help you fine what works for you
just let us know, always here to help support, and uide no matter what you decide to do.

Debboe :mellow:

#6 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

Buzzy,
Just another note, some are so afraid of taking anything that addictive, well our
brains are addicted to this crap.

It is my feeling that you will need something for the anxiety that most suffer severly form.
I have, and I am not strung out on them. This is hard enought to do, ad hard on your body to
go through all the stress this does to it. I had anxiety prior, ut now it get's so bad that
not even my normal dose of Xanax helps at times.

Takes good care of yourself,we are here to heal, not to tought it out. Worry about just getting
to he otherside. Some didn't taqke this med that long, I do think it does play a big part in how
the withdrwls go. I am not saying they don't have it very hard, I am just seeing a big difference
in so many areas.

Take care, and don't compare you case to that of others, we are all different!!! Althought this is
the herion of all antidepressants to get off of! I know only to well.

Debbie ;)

#7 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

Thank you Junior and Maureen for taking the time to reply and for your suggestions and input. It is very much appreciated. It makes me feel good that people other than myself can spare time to help and contribute to others in positive ways without interjecting negativeness.

I am taking cymbalta for depression. I count myself very lucky because i do have a very good doctor (in saginaw michigan) who stays up to date on things. He actualy will sit down and spend an hour with you listening and talking. Before i started cymbalta he went over the benefits and the negatives as well as a plan to wean me off before hand. However the buzzing wasnt something mentioned nor were the brain zaps (which i do have)

The brain zaps are exactly what i have and they are more frequent now. They used to only occur when i missed a dose or took it hours too late. I was calling them dizzy and head spinning along with noise, but the term zap fits it perfectly because that is what it feels like. Then i get head spin and dizzy and have to sit down Or the zaps will continue. Mine shoots from ears in i think, then the spin then the dizzy.

I am also lucky in the fact that other than sugar (soda included) i dont seem to get addicted to much. The valium i stopped taking and had no problems, perhaps because i was on cymbalta, but i only use it now and again when i have a break down (weepy days, intense anger or confusion). Which is rare, well less than once a month. and i have actualy went 3 months without taking one. However i still live very much in solitude to reduce stress as much as possible. I seem to only need a valium when others induce drama in normal situations.

I am thankfull that i found this website and that both of you have taken the time to read about my issues and comment. Best wishes to you both.

Yes, I know what you mean about the zaps being connected to the Tinnitus. That was exactly what happened to me, and still does some days. When the tinnitus ramps up, I know the zaps are going to happen that day. You've described exactly what I described it as on here one day - it's like someone's 'zapped' the noisy tinnitus into the brain - like a noisy hiccup. It took me a while to realize the two were connected.

Hopefully the noise will die down for you - I find mine is more in fits and starts rather than just slowly decreasing, so hopefully the time between will lengthen.

I'm not sure why vertigo came up here - neither you nor I mentioned it.

Stay in touch, Maureen.

#8 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hi all

This is great information. I have been completely off Cymbalta for 2 weeks and yes, the buzzing with the eye movement is overwhelming. Some days its not as intense but by the end of the day its constant. I went to my doctor to talk about it and was told Cymbalta should be out of your system by now. Great. "so doc..am I going crazy?" love the support... I decided to go to the doctor because the buzzing was so intense causing a major panic attack. You, know the drill "OMG I am going to die..call 911...I am falling in my brain" I haven't had one for along time. Those are very scary, its like my own black hole. So buzzing, panic attack's and just feel like $%^%$&^. My doctor gave me a script for Ativan, twice a day for 4 weeks to help with the process of getting off this stuff. I have taken it once and today I feel a little better. Slight buzzing in the ears, no major zaps when I move quickly (eye movement mainly)and so I hope this helps get me through it. My question, will the buzzing and zaps go away at some-point or are they permanent? Thanks for this great site for help

Pete :huh:

Hi Pete

I believe high doses of fish oil can help with the zapping. Might be worth a try?
Also, be careful with the Ativan. It is a benzodiazepine and more addictive than anti-depressants. I've heard people say that it is HELL coming off benzos. A lot harder than coming off anti-d's.

The zaps / buzzing should settle with time. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing how long as everyone is different. Hang in there.

Junior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users