• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    because this drug is evil and i need support.

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:30 AM

I have been reading on this site for a while but have not actually joined, I am finally to the place where I am absolutely fed up.

I have become a good junkie, as I am trying to wean and counting beads daily to do so... but this drug has literally RUINED my life. I am terrified. No one understands. I am exhausted constantly, never feel well, am SO disoriented, have gained weight, don't function as well I used to in my job... everything about it is awful.

I am so glad I am not alone even if I feel that am...

*Sigh* Just needed to vent.

Has anyone had any success in helping family, friends, coworkers to understand? I need help the most in that arena.

#2 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

I have been reading on this site for a while but have not actually joined, I am finally to the place where I am absolutely fed up.

I have become a good junkie, as I am trying to wean and counting beads daily to do so... but this drug has literally RUINED my life. I am terrified. No one understands. I am exhausted constantly, never feel well, am SO disoriented, have gained weight, don't function as well I used to in my job... everything about it is awful.

I am so glad I am not alone even if I feel that am...

*Sigh* Just needed to vent.

Has anyone had any success in helping family, friends, coworkers to understand? I need help the most in that arena.

Welcome Katie,
I have a few friends that I can talk to, but to be honest with you few is about two.
I was talking to this woman last night about what I had gone through on this drug,
and what I am doimng to get off it, and by the time I got off the phone I felt nuts!

People just can't believe that a antodepressant is doing this, or why do we keep
taking it if it's doing all of these things to us? When she asked me those things
I tried to tell her, but I even felt like I was from mars, counting beads, going
down every 2 weeks, the side effects, which for me were the same as the withdrawls.

The best one can hope for is that they will just care enought to know it is a med
that you on, and trying to get off of that making you nuts. Other than that, it's
just coming here, and spilling all your feelings, no matter what they are.

I am always here to listen,
Debbie

#3 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

Hi Katie

Sorry you are having such a hard time.

Firstly, you are NOT a junkie. Junkies CRAVE their next hit and will do almost anything to get it. People coming off a/ds don't. They WANT to come off them. So you are NOT a junkie.

Second, you are definitely not alone. From what I have read here and at another forum for Paxil withdrawal, together with my own experiences, there are MANY, MANY people who struggle to withdraw from modern anti-depressants. The medical profession doesn't seem to realise it yet, but SSRI's and SNRI's are rapidly becoming the modern version of Valium. Not only are they being handed out to all and sundry for all sort of reasons, not all to do with depression, but there is increasing evidence to show that they are addictive. Drug companies play with semantics and insist they are not, for reasons described above, but if you brain struggles to come to grips with the absence of them, what else would you call it? :)

Having said all of that, there are a LOT of people who are having a LOT of success in coming off these drugs. While experiences vary, the common theme seems to be taper slowly.

BTW vent anytime. That is what we are here for :blink:
Regards
Junior

#4 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

Thank you, Debbie and Junior.

I am just not myself and I hate this drug. I have been on 60 mg for over a year now, probably closer to 2. I started tapering the way my doctor recommended, doing every other day, but that was just horrific. By the second day I was not even able to function. After coming here and reading a lot, I decided to do smaller doses every day. Just this week I have started 20 mg every day. So far, I feel okay *knock on wood*.

I have a wonderful doctor who has been my doctor for 7 years, and even she doesn't understand it and can't help me. It's not for lack of trying, it's just because if you haven't been there you simply don't get it.

I really am terrified every day that I will never be able to get off of this drug. This drug HAS helped me (along with Klonopin, which I haven't taken in over 6months) to not have anxiety attacks, and for that I am thankful, BUT... it has come at a price. I have far less energy than I did before this drug, I have gained 40 pounds and barely eat, so it makes no sense, I am foggy brained all the time, I dropped out of college, it's terrible.

I am going back to school this semester and am so determined that this medicine will not beat me.

It's nice ot know I am not alone.

Hugs and love to all of you. This is a really crappy journey, but we will all be better for it!

#5 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:25 AM

Hi Katie

Don't be afraid. You WILL be able to get off Cymbalta. It's just that it will take a while. That's all. And from all of the stories I've heard/ read - a slow taper seems to be far more successful in the long-term, than a quick one.

You can do it!! :)

Junior

PS- Are you doing anything to prevent the anxiety attacks from returning?

#6 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

Hi Katie

Don't be afraid. You WILL be able to get off Cymbalta. It's just that it will take a while. That's all. And from all of the stories I've heard/ read - a slow taper seems to be far more successful in the long-term, than a quick one.

You can do it!! :)

Junior

PS- Are you doing anything to prevent the anxiety attacks from returning?

HI! :blink:

Does using lots of tools I have learned through intensive therapy count? :-P

Oh, and how about writing a memoir chronicling my struggle with the demon that is anxiety?

Those are the only two things that keep me sane :P

#7 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:49 AM

HI! :)

Does using lots of tools I have learned through intensive therapy count? :-P

Oh, and how about writing a memoir chronicling my struggle with the demon that is anxiety?

Those are the only two things that keep me sane :blink:

Sounds good to me *thumbs up*

Don't know if this has come up in therapy but... what about accepting that anxiety is part of you.. and learning to work WITH it rather than fighting against it?

Junior

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hi Katie,

I've been going off Cymbalta slowly for about a month now. Still having the electrical jabs. They reason I'm replying to you is you're the first person I've come across who gained weight on the Cymbalta too. I was beginning to think there was something really wrong with me. I don't eat much and rarely eat sweets. I've gained 40 lbs over the last 3 years. I was on 60mg. Since I've started the tapering off of the drug, I've lost 6 1/2 lbs. Oh happy day! We all have to hang in there!! I think we should start an anti-Cymbalta movement! :angry:

If the responses on this site are anything to go by, far more people gain weight than lose on Cymbalta; if you have a look over some of the posts you'll see plenty of people in that situation. I lost weight, BUT I was coming from Lexapro, on which I'd put on a HUGE amount of weight in only four months.

regards, Maureen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users