• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Carlyn

Carlyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

It has been 3 weeks without wonderful :x Cymbalta. I still get naseated and dizzy at times but not as bad as I had. The headaches come and go and the buzzing in my ears is still hanging around. I have started to experience something new. When I go to sleep I dream that I can't wake up and that I can't move. This is really frieghtening. I don't look forward to sleeping. Anyone else experiencing any thing like this? I am taking Omeaga 3 and vitamn B complex. They seem to have helped with dizziness. I have taken Benadryl but they make me sleepy and I do not enjoy sleeping. If any of you have experienced this sleep thing, I would like to know. Also, if you found anything that helped. :idea:

#2 That1TyGuy

That1TyGuy

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:06 AM

I've been having the same problem, I'm not exactly sure what it is either. I also hope that somoene will know of an answer or something that solved their problem of the sleeping as it is becoming a big pain at night.

#3 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

For me, it is like being trapped in the REM state of sleep, vivid dreams, yet being barely asleep and can't wake up. I've had to force myselft to get through that, and after several jolts awake, I can go into a deeper sleep, yet still not feeling rested.

On that same topic, does anyone else hear loud slamming noises in their heads when drifting off to sleep? It is almost like the buzzing sound gets louder, then a slam noise, that will just jolt me awake. Not that I want anyone else to experience this,yet it a way, it would make me feel better knowing that maybe someone does. :cry:

I'm sure all of this is just the brain trying to get back to normal. My doctor said there aren't any lasting neurological affects from withdrawal, but, do we really know this? All of this electrical jolting, buzzing and slamming can't be good.

#4 Carlyn

Carlyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:25 AM

I know it sounds terrible to say, but it is nice to know others are having these sleep disturbances. I don't experience a slamming sound but I do wake up with a jolt at times. I hope none of this is a permanent condition. But who knows? I sure wonder how much these drugs are tested before they are given to the general public. I think I have learned a huge lesson from all this. It will make me think twice before taking another medication. I think the cure is worse than the ailment. :roll:

#5 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:39 AM

*************HELP*************** I have not been to sleep. As soon as I start to doze off, the noises in my head become unbearably loud; the electric noises, the slamming, and now it is like someone has turned up the volume on my tinnitus. Yet, I get in that sleep paralysis state, and can't really go on to sleep, but can't quite wake myself up! For me, this is far worse than the emotional swings. At one point I managed to pull my right eye open, and I was panicked. Then it was so horrible that I thought I had gotten up, only to find I was still in bed with these horrible noises. I am so tired, and I just don't know what to do until tomorrow when I can call my doctor. I really don't want him to give me another med for sleep, but I am at my wits end. I'm hoping I can put in a movie and maybe just fall asleep on the couch.

Has anyone else experienced it this bad, that you can't go to sleep? Is that why some are taking Benedryl? Honestly, I feel like I'm losing my mind! It is like I am stuck in a neverending REM sleep cycle, and it is getting worse each night. I almost want to go to the hospital, check in, and have them sedate me to bypass that light sleep period. I'm sorry to vent, but this has me pretty scared. How will I know if I'm feeling better overall, when I'm getting more and more exhausted? :o

#6 Besst

Besst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:16 AM

I found this OLD topic on google.

It's called Sleep Paralysis, and I am now having this too while withdrawaling, very disturbing.

http://en.wikipedia....Sleep_paralysis

#7 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

I found this OLD topic on google.

It's called Sleep Paralysis, and I am now having this too while withdrawaling, very disturbing.

http://en.wikipedia....Sleep_paralysis

That is interesting. I am aware of this phenom as i have experienced it off and on for years… well before any use of an anti-d. 

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

Hi Besst,

Sleep paralysis is totally freaky/scary, isn't it? I had it, often, while on crapalta ... now that I'm off, not once in a bit over a year ...

It's due to serotonin... the essential neurotransmitter that Cymbalta acts on.... I had a research article stashed on this, but now can't find it (typical) ... but as I recall, it's caused by too much serotonin in the brain ...which would explain having SP while on the poison ...

My bet would be, but I have zero research to support this, is that you're having it now is related to your brain starting to heal/re-wire itself to regulate its serotonin level on its own ....

In any event, rest assured that this is part of the withdrawal/discontinuation/healing process, and it's not permanent, just "phasic."

Also, read up on SP, there's lots of info about it on the 'net ... you can pick up tricks for dealing with it .... also, I'll see if I can search the 'net and find some of the info I read when I first started having SP ... if I can find it, I'll post it here for you ...

Hang in there! How are you doing otherwise? How long have you been off the crap?

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

Hi Brz! That's fascinating about your SP experiences ... it jogged my (feeble) memory big-time ... and I remember now that as a child I also had it frequently ... I also had lucid dreams as a child ... (and had them almost nightly on the Cymbalta ... have had maybe just 1 or 2 since I've been off the stuff ...)

I also had a kinda' chaotic/traumatic childhood (although nowhere near what you had, with the anxiety about your father, wow)...

The anxiety connection makes perfect sense ....

Besst, what about you? Have you had SP ever before, or only now, while getting off Cymbalta?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users